Volume 2: Chapter 55 Lure
239 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Good afternoon! What a pleasant day we have! How are you this fine day?"
"Ooh! Bad afternoon to you! The day was pleasant but a royal pain in the ass just have to disturb my free time by bringin up some nonsense about the weather! So, how do you think I am on this 'fine day'?"

I have nothing to do with them. I am not what I used to be. There is no reason to exact revenge again. Even with all that, it doesn't mean I have to get along with them.

This isn't me provoking them into action. This is just me in a bad mood. The kraken can't expect us to be nice to every single one we meet on this island, right? There are a few conflicts here and there but as long as you don't actively instigate a fight, it shouldn't take action.

"Eh? Excuse me?"
"Go ahead you are excused, please don't bother me again."

Now, I walk away. If I keep bad mouthing them then it would seem like I am provoking them. I must maintain the 'I don't want to be bothered' attitude.

"Wait, You stop right there. You are talking to the prince and the princess of the human kingdom, know your manners!"

There we go, out comes the arrogance of an overly crazy fan. Since the head maid made such remarks, she can't switch personality to try and seduce me. I avoided such an aggravating and irritating situation.

"...Head maid, calm down. There are no royals, nobility or officials in this island. This is neutral ground we have no power here. We should not carelessly throw our weight around otherwise the kraken might be provoked into action."

Whisper all you like but I can still hear you. Whispering isn't all that secretive here since a lot of races have sensitive hearing, being human doesn't have much of a downside but the benefits of the other races are too amazing in comparison, despite the weaknesses.

Anyway, its not my problem anymore and I don't need to go along with their plans. I won't do anything to sabotage it but I hope you fail.

"Wait my friend. Our companion here just got a bit heated. She has been overprotective since childhood. She was raised that way so please forgive her. Why don't I treat you to some food as an apology."

Hmm? Should I or should I not? It is free food but I don't really like the idea of spending more time with them. I guess I could eat, I won't agree to anything but I would still eat.

"I don't need such things. I can pay for my own damn food. Just leave me alone."
"...eh?"

Why do you sound surprised? Do you really expect anyone to just shut up and follow you if you offer food? or is it the arrogance of being the hero's child? Do you expect people to follow your will just because of your lofty position! No, he is a merchant so I am sure he experienced things like this before, maybe inviting someone over to eat is a fall back trick for them.

"Wait, wait, please give me a couple of minutes. I want to make it up to you so please wait for a little while."
"I don't have to wait for anything, you do you and I will be me."

It looks like they will retreat and plan for the next attack. For now, I will survey this trial. Even if I am the hero or transported one, the first few trials can still be passed by the people here so my uniqueness won't work for that.

"...Head maid, because you went off like that, we now have a problem! This isn't the human kingdom, we can't intimidate anyone into being respectful to us."
"...That dwarf was disrespectful to you and the princess, prince. The both of you, the acting ruler of the human continent, the strongest wizard and the strongest knight, the one who manages the kingdom and the head of the merchant guild."

They seem to be performing on the marble floors, some with heavy weapons that doesn't even crack the marble floors when they slam it on the floor. The possibility of a magic reinforced floor aside, is the first test a performing one? To get the temple doors to open?

"...That is normal for dwarves. They are known for their fowl mouth. For them, it isn't even foul for them. It's just normal to talk like that. He isn't irritated or angry at us, he was just talking. If you translate what he said to normal words then it is the same as 'I am not interested, please leave me along'"

The first trial seems safe. The second one isn't really visible. I asked around before but the peanut gallery doesn't seem to know. The 'dancers' on stage seem to know but they won't say a thing about it. What do you mean 'experience it yourself'? The performing one I could but I won't jump into a bottomless hole. I need to find information but I don't want to spend money on it. I can take advantage of my possible many lives to observe this place but that seems boring. I guess I have no choice but to come back when I have a lot of money to burn buying information.

"...However, even you yourself was shocked when he replied to you."
"...That was because he was phrasing his reply to be sarcastic. Their race usually use an irritated or angry tone that vents that into the other person but his words seem spiteful. I figured it was a different variation from his hometown."

hmm? That was close, I need to correct my wording when I talk to people. If I stick to their perceive 'normal' then I could badmouth them in front of their face for free and without repercussions.

"...Anyway, don't mind whatever he says. Just focus on the main message he wants to say and ignore any kind of abusive or insulting words he decorated his sentences with. We can't let the head maid continue being the one who seduces him. It can't be helped, Lina try to get close to him."
"...Eh? m-me?!"
"...We have no choice, head maid can't do it because of what she did and rose can't do it because her royal arrogance will show."
"...What do you mean by that, brother!"
"...The arrogance of being of royal blood, the arrogance of being a hero's child, and the arrogance of a ruler who manages a whole continent."
"...Ugh!"

You can't really deny that since all of it are true. You hide it behind your polite speech but it shows in your gesture, the view of looking down on anyone but you and your family.

Anyway, this is going favourably for me. Since lina is the one who is sent to get close to me, I can confirm if she is being forced or brainwashed to be part of their faction. If she is being forced then I might help her a bit, if she truly wants to work with these arrogant pricks then I will leave it alone.

Even if not consciously, she did help me escape so I want to at least repay that. I settled my grudge, I only need to settle her unintentional goodwill and I will finally sever the relationship between that continent and me.

"Excuse me! I'm really sorry! My companions were pretty rude awhile ago. We can't really force you but we at least want to make up for it. We promise it won't take a lot of your time, just a quick lunch."
"Ah? You people again? Are your ears filled with wax that you can't hear me? I don't need from you lot. That food comes with a discussion that would make use of me! I don't want anything to do with such a troublesome matters!!"
"We will take care of the bill, you can name any restaurant you want, order all you want. You don't need to agree to anything, we just want your advice on something. You don't even need to talk, just listening to us once is enough. After this, we will leave you alone. I promise."
"Fine, but I'm warning you. I won't give you any favours just because you gave me food. I'm not some pet."

If they are going that far then I naturally have to oblige. It's my free time right now. I can't do anything about the trial for now and I don't really want to stay to watch a group of people performing various ways to 'dance' with a weapon.

"I'm not some gourmet critic that has time to visit every damn restaurant this island has to offer so I will leave the choosing to you lot. If what you chose doesn't sit well with me, I will leave so choose your best."
"Yes, I will let them know!"

Now, with that settled, how do I know if she is being brainwashed to be their supporter? I doubt they used magic, maybe something like a soft coercion. However, to know for sure, I need to probe her out.

It's best if I can get her alone or the scheming bunch would stop me.

A date would be best, as long as they are paying. That way, I could tour this place, have free food, drinks, and scout out her response. Maybe I could even buy some stuff while putting it on their tab. That would be the best case scenario. No, I will make it the only possible scenario they could take.

"We promise we won't let you be disappointed. I know a very famous restaurant here. You normally need to book a reserv---"
"Yeah, yeah, keep the boasting to a minimum. I don't care what your money says, let me know what you need so I can reject it and be on my way."
"Err, Yeah!"
"Go on, lead the way"

They need someone to forge them equipment to battle the guardians. Dragons, sea monsters, kraken, and different kind of monsters the hero set up to keep the peace. For this world that only has access to basic jobs and class, it would take a lot more than some special equipment to pull that off.

Even if I agree, I don't have any reference on the monsters' strength and defensive capability. I can make the best weapon I could but I won't know if it will hold up until I see the battle. If they would sponsor me then that would be another plus.

Worse comes to worst, I could just avoid going to this island. They can't really pursue me in another continent, right?

5