Volume 2: Chapter 97 Dirty Business
86 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm amazed at the food here. They even have those grilling places that have a chef fabulously cook your meal in front of you. I didn't try those things on earth but I have heard about it. It seems fun but the price wasn't really something I am comfortable with spending.

That was both tasty and fun.

The food stalls were great too. They actually sell soup at the roadside here. Those chicken, I assume, popcorn were a delight too. It's something to munch on as I look at other food establishments.

However, after all of that, it reminded me that I forgot something to do. I forgot to ask the enchanter if they have items that could help dispose of biological waste, more specifically my waste. I bought everything needed for the plumbing except the exit. The volcano is a no no, since it would smell and I don't want to aggravate it by showering it with my golden rain and brown thunder.

*Knock* *Knock*

"Sir? Are you done yet?"
"No, give me a few more minutes."
"Understood but please move it along a bit faster since the restaurant manager is starting to get angry."
"I told you this would happen when you have three people blocking the washroom."
"It is necessary for our duty, sir!"
"Fine, fine, I'll hurry it up, so don't interrupt my own duty!"

Haaahh~~~ This is humiliating but I don't know which is worse. Is it having three bodyguards inside a three stall washroom or having to remember that I forgot to ask for items to handle the waste?

No, I meant to not buy the waste disposal item at that store. They are already handling the pipes. I don't want them to get sidetracked with other projects.

I'll buy the waste disposal item at the other enchanter shops. This is called not putting all your eggs inside one basket!

"Welcome back, sir! Is everything alr-"
"I don't need you to be considerate with that. It's still early, so lead me to another enchanter store."
"Yes, this way please."

If I can't find anything here, I am sure the capital has something that could help me. It might be a bit more expensive but the fact that it is convenient to find a lot of different products there is a big plus.

"Thank you for the business. We look forward to seeing you again!"

The manager looks happy. Although the customers have this scornful look in their eyes, especially those rushing into the mens washroom. They are glaring extra hard at me as they do their little dance.

I guess my bodyguards, specifically the leader, bribed the manager for a little more patience. I wonder if that will come up in the 'additional expenses' bill. Their leader did assure me that everything is settled at the first billing but if something unexpected comes up, I am sure they will add it at final billings.

"Welcome to the flooded treasure ship, where treasures collected from all over the world are brought together just for you! What are you searching for today?"

Are enchanters really out there in the weird category? First a forest, now a ship? This is the dwarf continent. There are sparse forests with prickly solid trees that have a metallic sheen, and the surrounding large bodies of water are patrolled by sea monsters.

Are the names supposed to invoke curiosity among the general population and make them visit? That might work but only on the younger generation, since you tend to be less curious with age. I'm supposed to be part of the young generation in this life though, just because the young generation for the dwarves last until 40.

"I want something that disposes of waste. I'm building a house but I still don't have a way to take care of it."
"Waste? Excuse me for asking but can you tell me your profession?"
"I just graduated from mithril towns, mithril academy's smithing course. Here is my ID"

Now that I thought about it, does our town have a more specific name? Most towns are named after the prominent metal their mine is producing but I doubt that our town is the only mithril producing town in the whole dwarf continent.

This town right here is the south eastern iron/copper town #18, which is a very specific town. This also pose a very intriguing information that there are more iron/copper town #18 in different directions.

"Mithril town? Whic- Oh! That mithril town. I see, I understand. A smithing course graduate would usually deal with metal dust and ashes. We have this item that collects all the metal scraps and grains for you to reuse."
"I'll take that too. However, what I want to do is something for biological waste. How do towns and cities normally deal with biological waste?"
"Normally?....Ahem! Of course, yes! It is usually sent to the sewage collection plant underground where they are mixed with fragmentation potion to break down the waste into compost. They then send a set amount to farms near them and clean the rest with cleansing potion."
"I see, so you don't sell those here? Are there alternatives to that?"

I see, so there are other places to mine mithril but only our town produces it as the main ore. How do they determine the main production ore? Our mine produces other kinds of metals but only mithril is the main thing. Ah! Is it determined by the golem? That would make it easier to clarify.

Underground sewage collection ,huh. From what he said, they apply something that breaks down the poop. What happens with the liquids? Does it break down with it or does it release a huge fume? That sounds gross, stinky and dangerous. After that, they allocate some for the farms while they clean the rest with a potion. If they are doing that in a separate process then the cleansing potion must clean in the same way bleach does. It seems good but I don't want to carry a bunch of chemicals with me, since they always have an expiration date.

"For alternatives we have dormant slime cores here. They eat and break down the waste in the same way but it happens autonomously. However, you do need to regularly cull them, so they don't overflow."
"I see, so you don't have any items that could help with it. I need to find an alchemy shop?"

I am right with the slime thing! How do you know when they overflow? How do you know they don't slime through the pipes? It feels weird. I think I will opt out on the slime thing. There aren't enough security features to prevent them from climbing up the pipe. I'm sure there is a countermeasure for it but I need to buy a lot of things just for a single way to handle the waste. If I use the chemicals then it's a done deal with no need to follow up.

I'm only a single person, so I won't produce that much of a waste. I can just make a huge collection pit and have a garden just above it. I heard somewhere that volcano ashes are good for plants, so that in combination with the compost produced when I use the fragmentation potion should give me a very good harvest. I'll just stick to some herbs and vegetables.

"The chemical potions can be bought in the alchemy shop but the slime core can be bought here. Enchanters are the one that creates the item to make them go dormant after all. Ah! The easy way to cull them is with a mild poison which you can buy from an alchemist shop. It is possible to create an item to process waste but it is very inefficient."
"I see, then I'll just buy the metal scrap collection item. How long does it last?"
"Our product is top of the line and well worth the price. The metal collector hexagon #83 is priced at 34 silver and lasts for 10 years."

Specific numbers again. Did this come from a long line of improvements?

"I'll take one. Here is the money. Also, do you know a good alchemist shop? I need to buy those things we just discussed."
"Thank you for the business. Our store has an affiliated alchemist shop just next door. We can guarantee our products, so please shop with a peace of mind. This is your receipt and a note to help you in your business next door."

That's convenient. Well, I don't really want to go searching for another store. It's almost the afternoon. I want to finish this and get to the inn. The mercenary leader should have taken care of the reservations, so I don't need to reserve time for that. However, I do want to familiarize myself with where I am staying since I don't know where to buy good food.

"Welcome to the dessert oasis. We have every potion and concoction that will surely quench your needs!"
"Hmm?~ Same person?"
"Same? Ah! You mean my brother from the enchanter shop next door. We are twins employed by the same merchant guild. How may I help you today!"
"Your brother gave me this note."
"Let me see. Ah! I see. How many do you want?"
"What is their shelf life?"

If only I had storage equipment that would put everything inside in a statis, so I can stop worrying about expirations.

"They last for about 200 years."
"That long?"
"The fragmentation potions were made accidentally from a bunch of expired potions. They were disposing of a combination of potions. The cleansing potion was made by the scholar hero, so we are graced with an item of such quality."
"Explain the instructions to me."
"Yes! It depends on the number of people but it is usually mixed in the septic tank monthly. For a household, you can just flush it down the toilet. It will take care of all the waste, water included. It will concentrate them into these tiny green balls of compost that melt and spread nutrition in the surrounding soil. Please make sure the tank is separated to any underground water or it might not work as well. The cleanser will just kill every virus or bacteria in the surroundings. Keep it out of any flowing water or it might kill the ecosystem there. You can flush it down the toilet too but please don't use them at the same time. Give them at least 8 hours before using the next chemical to let them work their thing."

I can make a septic tank and encase the inside with cement. I'll just make it shallow, so the garden above can take the nutrients. If I do it this way then I don't need the cleanser. However, it might lead to diseases building under there, so I'll buy some and use it after harvest. I might need to shuffle the soil but it's for a garden, so I will take on the work!!!

"Give me 50 sets."
"Thank you for the purchase. Please have a nice day."

Pipes, cleaning materials, and waste disposal. I think I have everything I need. I guess I'll head to the inn and relax a bit.

4