Volume 2: Chapter 114 Nearby Town
68 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I think I might have slacked off a bit since coming here.

The village chief kept coming to check up on everyone, so when I told him that I was making some products to sell, he didn't visit me to let me concentrate on my work.

Since then, I have been granted a week of silence to quietly create some things to sell.

I finished most of them during the first three days, and the only thing I needed to finish was the armour sets. Those things are more complex to make since they have a lot of parts that need to be combined together.

It could have gone a lot faster if I used magic since it's easy to form them. However, for the sake of practice, I did all of the products myself the old fashioned way.

Anyway, now that I completed everything, it's time for me to go to town and start selling my wares.

I wonder if I need a permit to start a stall there. They should have something like a flea market location for merchants, right?

The only problem I have is that I still haven't bought my mount. I find a few lava hippo around here but they aren't exactly suitable as mounts. They are very moody, have low stamina and need a lot of food to rear.

It can't be helped, I have to do this the very old fashioned way of pulling the wagon by myself. I won't be using my carriage since that is too fancy of a ride to drag without a mount, so I used some leftover wood to make an impromptu wagon. It's not that much but it should get the job done.

I'll try to see if they have any good mounts for sale in the town. For that, I have to see the store really early to see the new shipments. If I wanted to do that then I should have left somewhere near midnight but that would be annoying to do, so I will buy it on the last day of my stay in the town.

I wanted to enter the town and head straight to the market, so I could lose some of my baggage, and after that I will leave the town easily with a new mount pulling my wagon back home.

*Drag* *Bang* *Drag* *Bang* *Drag* *Bang*

This is a bit tricky. The only way up and down my volcano is a wide and long staircase with railings on the side for safety. There is also a small slide I made beside the stairs as an easy way down. I made some rough patches as a way to slow down the descent but it's only wide enough for a single person to pass through. It's way too narrow and steep for my wagon to go down on.

I could make a garage down at the foot of the volcano but the problem would be on how to transport my luggage up to my workshop. It would be too much trouble to make an elevator for the garage. The easiest way for me to do this is to have a winding road at the side of the volcano that goes all the way up the workshop.

The winding road is the easiest fix but I don't want to eat away at the volcano. I guess I will go with the garage. I'll just have to make some kind of pulley system alongside the stairs to carry my baggage. I'll only be using it for the light baggage after all.

The smithing materials would be stored in my storage. That reminds me of something, I forgot that I still have some camouflage storage equipment from my travels with the mercenaries. I could still use that to hide my skill.

In the meantime, I have to do this.

*Drag* *Bang* *Drag* *Bang* *Drag* *Bang*

"Oooh, It seems that you are on your way to the town now."
"Yeah, I finished making a batch of my products. I'll be going to do a little shopping and selling these."
"I'm sure things will go well, especially with your level of craftsmanship. However, you look like you're having trouble bringing down your wagon. Do you want to ask the carpenters to make a small garage by the foot of your volcano?"

Hmm? I can do it myself but I guess I could leave this to my neighbours. I am part of this community and this is a good way to connect with them. They are going to be my regular customers before my rise to fame after all.

"That would help a lot. I'll talk to them once I return. I might want to add a small barn next to it for my mount. I still don't know what kind, so I don't have any specific idea on what the specifications of the barn would have to be. I'll have to see what is available in town."
"Hmm, The barn would certainly have a wider amount of choices than just asking the hunters here to catch some of the local wildlife. Anyway, I'll tell the carpenter family about you wanting to commission them for a garage and barn. You can talk it out amongst yourselves once you return."
"Thank you. Well then, I'll be off."
"Take care, and don't be shy to ask for help. The farmer's family's relatives live in town. This is where their main shop is if you need anything."

I know interacting with your community is good but if I went to another town, I don't want to be kept within my own circle of acquaintances. It also wouldn't help if I ask them to introduce me to some people that could help me, since those are their contacts. I need my own contacts, otherwise all my actions would just reflect onto them, whether they be good or bad.

I'm just going there to sell some stuff. I don't need that much help, so I don't need to meet the farmer's relatives.

 

*Rattle* Bang* *Rattle* *Rattle* *Bang* *Rattle*

The nearest town is farther than I thought. When I was on my way to the village, we passed through a town near the main road. However, the one I am going to isn't that. There is a closer one but it isn't near the main road.

I think it's connected to a big city that takes another path of the main road. If they are going to make a branch there, why couldn't they at least spend a bit more of the budget to, at the very least, pave the road to my village.

I know it's near but this rocky road isn't making the trip there easy.

*Rattle* *Rattle* *Rattle* *Bang* *Bang*

 

"Welcome to Jade Mountain town #7. Can I see your I.D.?"

I'm finally here in jade mountain town. This is the reason that this is connected to the main road even though it's almost at the corner of the continent. Jade isn't really ideal for swords or blades but they are very well received for ceremonial ones. They are also very great for decorations.

It is hard enough but not enough for the dwarf continent. Most of the jade is sold to the central island to the other continents.

"Here is my I.D. I'm here to sell some of my works."

My I.D. was updated a couple of days after arriving. I have to say he does his job very well, if nothing else.

"Heeh, A travelling smith? That's the first time I heard that. This is your I.D., everything seems alright. If you want to set up a stall then I suggest heading to the market. There should be a commerce booth there that arranges where and when you could set up a stall."
"Thank you."
"Have a great stay in our town. Oh, if you want to have a good spot at the market, I suggest you go there early. We rarely run out of spots but if you are only here temporarily, it's better to always have a stall to sell your wares."
"That's very helpful, Thank you!"

As a special thank you, I will let your comment about me being a 'travelling smith', a pass.

However, before going to the market, I need to find an inn to act as my base. It's just past noon. It's a bit early but I don't want to book an inn in the afternoon. Especially if I want to have a place to store my wagon.

I guess I can try selling things later in the afternoon after I find an inn. I'm not going to the grocery market. My ware isn't the kind that needs to be fresh. I'll be fine with fishing for customers from the night time window shoppers.

3