Volume 2: Chapter 116 First Customer
60 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Here is your permit, please have it displayed somewhere visible on your stall. You don't need to pay a down payment but we do need a little processing and registration fee. After that, you can set up your stall and keep it in operation for as long as you need to but you will be charged a standard fee of 20 copper coins per day based on your spot in the market. The fee per day would be charged by the time you close your stall. Every entrance to the market is guarded by our staff, so you can pay there instead of navigating to the office here."
"Thank you, this is for the processing fee."
"Everything seems to be in order. Here are your documents back, and here is your permit. Have a fruitful sale."

'Staff at every entrance'. Yeah, like you did that out of convenience for your customers. I'm sure it's so no one can escape paying.

"I will escort you to your spot. This way please. I can also give you a tour of the market for a small fee. Would you like to?"
"No thanks."

Why do the staff here at the market seem greater the longer I interact with them? This gives me a bad feeling about the people that might buy from me.

Well, the things I am selling will be in my favour though. The base materials aren't worth that much. Most of my profits will come from my labour. I can also add an extra cost if I put forth my academy background.

It's weird that being in an academy would give the people here a big shock. I doubt that the academy I went to is famous and prestigious enough to reach every corner of the dwarf continent. I'm sure that our dwarf continent ranking isn't that high either. Is it because this is the corner of the continent that there aren't that many academies here?

I was sure that most towns and cities have academies of their own. Even if their main mineral here is mostly used for decoration, I still need to see the level of skill their smithing course can produce. There is a possibility that I can hold an edge over them though, since if they have the same kind of standing like my academy then they should also have a regular spot at the auctions here, and the people here are very familiar with their work to the point that they are sick of it.

Even if I am from an academy, my skill comes from a far away land, this should make my products be considered as 'exotic' to them.

 

 

"This is your spot, sir. May you have a good trade during your stay here at our market. Best of luck to you!"
"Thanks."

No, no, no, I won't be giving you a tip. Don't make that look. You tried to charge me for a tour of a market that has a map posted on every corner.

Wait, is it a possibility that they will make things harder for me because of this?

"Here is a little something as thanks."
"Oh, how generous of you. Thank you and best wishes."

Good, now get out and don't bother me anymore. I already have a bad impression of the staff here. I can't wait to see their impression once my fame really gets going.

Anyway, my stall is really baren. Dusty, dark, and not a lot of people passing by. I guess this isn't one of the cheapest spots for nothing. At least it isn't damp and muddy, since that would affect my knives. Not to mention cleaning the wares, it might also discourage pedestrians from walking on the road.

"Hello, Are you new to the market? I'm a resident here selling my homemade soap."
"Hi, I'm a smith from a nearby village. Work in the village has been light, so I'm hoping to earn a bit by selling here."
"Oh, a village smith, eh. Well, good luck to you. It might be hard because of all the merchants selling wares from far away places. However, those are expensive, so some people might choose them if they are cheaper. Ah, there are also some cheap products from our jade mountain academy smithing course but their quality isn't that reliable since it's made by students for practice. I guess you could only target those who want something cheap but has a certain quality to it."
"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when pricing. I'm not really in need of money since I can still make do with the business I have in the village but I can't exactly improve if I only cater to those I know, right?"
"Hahaha, that is true. I like you, I'll try and promote your wares to some people I know. Here is a little something for you as stall neighbors."
"Thank you, here is something too."
"Ooh! A knife. It looks really well made. It seems that promoting your store will be easier than I thought. Well, I'm packing up for the night. Need to go home to the family and stuff. Are you staying in this location?"
"Yeah, I"m staying here for a week. It might be longer depending on how things go."
"I see. I don't know which stall I am taking tomorrow but I will be sure to drop bye. See you!"
"Yeah, See you!"

I already have a customer, technically, the first minute that I set up my stall. I didn't even unpack and set up my wares yet. Things are looking good!

 

 

"Excuse me, Can I browse your wares?"
"Feel free."

My first customer already. I would try and guess what kind of line of work she was in if this was in the human continent but the people here in the dwarf continent have many professions that dress the same.

For me, She looks like a battle hardened mercenary. She has a huge hammer for bashing and is wearing heavy armour.

However, that kind of attire pretty much fits everyone else too. Other than alchemist and other professions that need to have a specific attire to hold their 'weapons', everyone else pretty much has heavy armour and blunt weapons.

They could be a mercenary, a housewife, a groomer, or even the town drunk, they would still wear heavy armour and carry a bashing weapon as the standard.

"These are great knives. How much are they?"
"Those over there are around 40 copper coins to a silver coin. That group over there is from a silver coin to 20 silver coins. Finally, these prized pieces are around 40-50 silver coins. I also have some weapons and armour. They don't have a price range since each set is made differently."
"Hoh, that is quite a large selection you have there. Can I test them out?"
"Go ahead, I don't have any ingredients with me but you can try using them on this firewood."

I already tested all of my products. They should be able to cut this without a problem. This is firewood as hard as coal. If it can cut this without a problem then it shouldn't have a problem cutting the ingredients of this continent.

Bone might make it dull a bit but every kind of cook should know the basics of sharpening and maintaining their own kitchen knives.

"Oh, how prepared. I guess you already tested your wares this way. Hmm, this is real firewood. It looks like you are confident. Well then, if you would excuse me."

*Cut* *Slice* *Hack* *Stab*

She really is checking all kinds of ways to use the knife.

*Cut* *Slice* *Hack* *Stab*

She's good. She made the same cut with a different knife.

*Cut* *Slice* *Hack* *Stab*

And finally, the most expensive knife on my wares.

"How is it?"
"Hmm, they are good knives. I can see why you divide them into those price ranges. The cheapest have the cheapest materials, the medium range have slightly better materials and the most expensive have not only better materials but also decorative pieces added onto them. The construction for the three price groups are basically the same. They are very well made with only the materials the deciding factor for the price. These are priced very fairly."

What kind of customer is this? A veteran? Is she some kind of knife veteran? Is this finally the kind of person I am waiting for? Those connoisseurs that travel these lonely alleyways in search for those hidden treasures?

"I'll take these thank you."
"Do you want it wrapped and packaged?"
"No thanks, I have my own bag. Here you go, keep the change."
"Thank you."

She only bought two of the cheapest knives I have. Is it because the quality of the knife didn't change in terms of skill level? Well, it should at least serve as a promotion for my store. I have to remember that I don't need to make a lot of money here. I just need to spread my work to the point that I have regulars.

I wonder if I can get more experts like her to appraise my knives. Even if she only bought the cheapest ones, it is very fruitful to have someone critique your work.

3