Volume 2: Chapter 134 Wounded
35 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There it is, the village. This is definitely the hardest part of my journey. If only there was a way to scout ahead and see what is happening from afar.

I guess the safest way is if I circle around all the way to the exit pipe of my volcano. It would be perfect if I could meet horn basher there, so I could pass it off as me taking horn basher out for a walk.

Taking that way is going to cost me a long time but it would definitely be safer, in a’ sneaking in’ sense because to take that route is to go through a lot of strong monster territory, monster breeding ground and a lot of volcanoes.

It has been a while since I left the village. I don't know if the people who escorted the evacuees have returned yet. The village chief came with them to send his appreciation along with trying to gather extra information about the bandit's movements, so I imagine it would take them some time. They might actually go and purchase more supplies and materials for the village's defences too.

That added cargo will slow them down. If I take into account the negotiation and other side chit-chat it won't amount to anything substantial so it doesn't really matter that much. As long as I come back before they get suspicious or worried because it is at those times that they will try to knock on my door to see if I am still alive.

The bandits have already appeared in the next region. They should arrive in our region soon. The distance is far and they have to hide here and there to avoid the pursuit of the elder's army but it won't be long before they plague our neighbourhood.

We need to finish the fortification as soon as possible. At the very least, we need to make sure to collect all of the materials before the price inflates. Actually, the village chiefs, town mayors, and city lords already know the news. They are probably going along the same plans that we are doing. Strengthening our defences and empowering their guards.

*Baa* *Baa* *Baa*

Hmm? That sounds like horn basher. Why is he all the way here? This isn't part of his usual stroll routes. This is the breeding ground of lava hippos. I know he is getting stronger and stronger since I first bought him but I don't think he can fight against a group of lustful lava hippos fighting to show dominance so they can start a family.

*Run*

*Baa* *Ba...* *Baa!!*

"What happened to you?"

*Baa!* Baaaaa!*

"Look at all those injuries. You bit off more than you can chew right?"

*Baa!!!!!*

His horns are cracked, there is a huge hole at his sides, and all of the legs but one are broken. I don't even know how you escaped.

First things first, we need to patch up that huge hole. One of his enemies should have bitten him. However, I can't exactly heal him. My [Butler Heal] skill works very well if the target is my employer, master, senior or superior. It works ok for anyone else, maybe even a tad below less effective. However, for my subordinates it would work like a band aid.

How do you expect me to heal him with this kind of skill?

I can't do anything right now. I need to get him back to the village. This would be the perfect excuse right now.

First aid first! I need to fix up his broken bones with some splints. The broken horn is holding it in place, so I don't think I need to do anything for that.

The hole is bleeding but I can't do anything about it. If I plug that up then it might lead to internal problems, so I will leave that alone.

"Alright, I fixed most of your injuries but there is that large wound that you have that I don't know how to deal with. I'll take you to the village to get some help. Please don't do anything that might strain yourself, and keep your heartbeat low."

*Baaa!"

 

 

"Help! Is there anyone here that can heal!"
"Brill! Over here! What's wrong? Did you get hurt outside?"
"No, horn basher got hurt while wandering about. I did what I could but I don't know how to deal with this hole here. Have the village chief and the others returned yet?"
"Eh? You didn't know? They are still outside."
"I was finishing up some of my job orders while we were on break from construction. I took a walk outside for some change of pace but I found him crying out for help outside. Is there anyone in the village that could help him? This hole here is the biggest wound that he has right now. I don't know how to close it up."

They haven't returned yet? It seems that they really did go collecting supplies here and there while on the way back. I hope they get everything that we need to finish up construction. I don't want to drain a lot of the village's funds. Even if we do have a somewhat stable source of food, we won't progress if we only maintain the status quo.

"We have a healer in the defence force but I think bron should be better. I'll call them both."
"I'll go with you."
"Don't, just stay here. It won't do for you to move him more than this. Stay there and try to clear an area where they can heal him."
"Alright, but please hurry. I don't know how much time he was bleeding outside."
"Ok, Jim, go in that direction to search for bron and Rick."

Off they go. I hope they hurry. Horn basher still looks strong but I can't really tell his exact condition. It's not like I can compare how much blood he lost from how pale his face is with all of that fur.

I think I have a blanket here somewhere. I can spread as a simple clearing for them to nurse him on.

*Throw* *Throw* *Kick* *Kick*

Let's remove most of the pebbles and rock on here, and I am basically done.

 

 

"Brill, how did horn basher end up this way!?"
"Bron! Good to see you! I'll tell you later, so please concentrate on sealing up this gaping wound before he bleeds out!"
"Hmm, the amount of blood going out is too little. Some veins must have closed up when he was punctured. I'll have to clear out the hole. It would be best if Rick is present right now. I can heal him but Rick is better than me with Healing magic. It would lessen the burden on him that way. There is currently no danger to his life right now, so we have some time to wait for him."

That's good news, right? However, won't he have a stroke if those closed veins continue to be closed? Well, he is an expert in all animals.

"I'm here! Where's the patient!?"
"Rick, over here. I already cleaned out the wound, aligned the broken bones and cleaned all of the wounds. Please finish it up with healing magic."
"Alright, leave the rest to me."
"It will take him some time to completely heal him. The broken bones being the harder part. There is also the after care to do, so we will take him in for now. Can I talk to you in the meantime, brill?"

Oh uh, that sounds like bad news. Is it about how horn basher was wounded or did they find out that I wasn't at home for some time?

"What is it, bron?"
"Those wounds look like lava hippos. Did they attack us or something? How did horn basher get those wounds?"
"I heard him calling out to me somewhere near the lava hippo's breeding grounds. I don't know what got into his head to wander around that place."
"Is that so, I don't mean to belittle the current situation but that is good news."

I actually agree. No one would want it if lava hippos attacked the village. Those monsters are huge, sturdy and flammable. We don't have to worry about fire because the houses are made of strong fire resistant materials. We do live in an area with a lot of volcanoes but those things are like flaming bulldozers.

The flames won't hurt the houses that much but they would just demolish the house and burn the furniture. If you are unlucky that you didn't hear the alarm of the attack then you would be trampled and burned to death when those attacks.

"Bron, any news about the village chief and the others?"
"They haven't returned yet. We don't have any news so far. Captain brian is with them, so they should be alright."
"I see, so have things been alright around the village?"
"We haven't encountered anything problematic. It would be best if it continued. Some of the people have already restarted on the fortification building. The head of the carpenter family didn't go with the others to escort the evacuees. He started working again as soon as the village chief and the others left."
"I still have to finish up some of the commissions that I receive. I'll help once I clear those up."
"Of course, we don't want anyone to endanger their livelihood because of this. It would be pointless if we protect the village only for the villagers to go into bankruptcy. The carpenter's family is being paid for the village construction, his sons and brothers are also finishing up their regular work at the other villages. The farmer's family are still taking care of their crops. We need everyone to help but this defences is being made to help the village and those within it too."
"That's good. I'll leave horn basher to you, I'll be inside my workshop if you need anything else, just give it a good knock."

Now then, I just need to finish up that order that I am barely making even to clear up my schedule. I wonder if I am going to see an increase in weapons and armour commissions because of the current situation. That would be very good news for me since it would help me get more experience in building weapons.

3