Volume 2: Chapter 149 Encirclement
45 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

------------------------------------Bron POV----------------------------------------------

"Is everyone ready? The organising people informed me that we are about to start the siege soon. Is the equipment ready?"
"Everyone and everything is ready, temporary captain bron."
"Remove the 'Temporary'. You don't even need to call me captain. It would just be a waste of time."
"Yes, yes."
"I'll need to unload a couple of things first before we start. I hope I still have some time. Where were the tissues again?"

They are very carefree. I'm happy that they aren't nervous before a big battle like this but I want them to at least have a certain sense of tension. I don't want them to lower their guard and get hurt on the siege.

Being the leader is hard. I'm seeing the captain in a new light.

However, I can't let that prevent me from doing my duty. It takes time to be as good as the captain. It can't be helped that there are things I can't do while leading.

Even if they appear carefree now, they will be serious when the battle begins. I have known them since birth, we were born in the same village after all.

We all have the same desire to protect the village. That is why we became part of the village defence force. The main thing I need to do now is to make sure everyone is ready before the battle.

We already know what to do once the battle begins, so I need to make sure we have everything we need to protect ourselves and make the battle easier on all of us.

-----------------------------3rd Person POV----------------------------------------------------

*Horn!!!!!"

"That is the signal. Everyone in formation!! The enemies specialise in fighting against humanoid opponents, so they will have more arrows on them. They won't hurt us that much but always keep your shields up but remember to pay attention to the surroundings!"
"Ready, sir!"
"Attack!!"
"Raaaghhh!!!"

As the sound of the horn echoed throughout the bandit base, A ring of walls instantly emerged surrounding the base.

The dwarven defender force of the region behind the wall strongly pushed forth the walls as if to quickly choke out the bandit base of space preventing them from damaging the defence force as they marched up to the walls.

Each group is hiding behind the walls while long ranged combatants are poking behind the wall from time to time attacking bandits defending the balls. Magic, crossbow bolts, arrows, and rocks are thrown at the bandits defending the wall as they in turn attack the moving walls.

*Tok* *Tok* *Tok* *Tok*

However, the moving walls hold strong. Their frames and supports may be made from wood but the surface facing towards the bandit base walls are plated with metal. They are also shaped irregularly preventing direct damage to the wall but after persistent damage towards them, they are still slowly being battered and worn out.

*Boom* *Boom* *Boom* *Boom*

As these walls take a beating, a few groups of the defenders of the region have stayed behind to man the siege engines. Most of these siege engines are trebuchet or catapult. They keep raining heavy rocks down on the walls of the bandit's base and some even land inside of these walls inflicting lots of damages on the bandit's base.

"We are almost there! Everybody keep your fighting spirits up!"
"Yaaaaahhhh!!!"

The defenders of the region held the advantage of the start of the siege and they capitalised on it to rush their moving walls close to the walls. As they come near to the base of the bandits that have plagued their region for years, they get more and more energetic, they get more and more frenzied, they get more and more aggressive.

"Fall back! Fall back! They are about to reach the walls! Fall back!"
"Ahhhh!!"

The bandits have been at a disadvantage as soon as the siege has started. It might be due to being surrounded, being sieged without knowing the enemy was so close, or the intensity of the defenders of the region overpowering them, the bandits performed poorly during the siege. They barely did any damage to the moving walls, the defenders of the region, most of them ran away as the moving walls got close, and they gave up the wall moments away from when the moving walls reached their walls.

*Bang* *Bang* *Bang* *Bang*

Each of the moving walls crashed into the bandit base's walls. These moving walls are siege engines created by the defenders of the region to protect them as they move closer to the enemy walls. The base has four wheels to help a group of people push the wall but even with that as help, the sheer weight of the structure prevents it from moving too fast even with the strongest dwarves. This is good stability as it is taking hits as it moves closer and closer to the walls.

The back of the moving walls have a staircase to the top, making these moving walls a shielded pathway to the walls. There are moving walls that have battering rams hidden inside of them but these aren't needed that much as most of the fighters here in the dwarf kingdom have weapons very suitable for knocking down walls. Also, even if the gates get knocked down, they would still have to climb onto the top of the walls to fight the enemy guards.

These stairs at the back of the moving walls are the main part of the strategy the supervisors of the 'compression ring' plan have thought of. They planned to use it to defend their forces as they try to control the walls. Once they took control of the walls, they would focus on using long ranged weapons and magic to pelt the bandits hiding inside the bandit base.

"We did it!!"
"Keep your guards up! We may have taken the walls but we didn't completely wipe out the bandits! We still have a fight on our hands! Everyone back into formation!! Prepare the long-ranged weapons!! Heavy shield users to the front and protect the magic users!!"

However, once they reach the walls, they notice that there are no signs of the bandits within the base. No one is panicking, no one is making a sound, and no bandits are trying to ambush them as they are lined up on the walls. There aren't even signs of the bandits that have previously defended the walls.

The buildings hidden by the walls are all ruined and destroyed. There has been no movement observed since the first group of region defenders arrived.

"Where are the bandits?"
"They just disappeared?"
"We can't have wiped them out already. The people on top of the walls didn't even number a full group!"
"Someone goes to the supervisors and asks for instructions. Explain the current situation right now. This may be a trap by the bandits. No one heard any noise when we were observing them before. These damages aren't from the catapult of our allies, they seem to be wrecked from the base to make them collapse on their own."
"There are also no bodies or blood around except for the few here on the walls. The destruction must have happened when we started the siege but their preparation should have happened much earlier to prevent their side from having any losses from the falling rocks."
"I found chains attached to blocks of stone here. They must have used these to destroy the buildings more easily."

The defenders of the region that saw the spectacle inside the bandit base's walls have sent the information back to the supervisors of the 'compression ring' plan while others looked for clues of where the bandits could have hidden. However, all of the clues lead to different directions, each blocked by debris and ruins which they can't access without clearing the way.

*Boom* *Boom* *Boom*

As they were investigating the situation, rocks started to rain from above.

"What the?? Did those operating the siege weapons not know we have taken the walls?"
"We already put up the signals! They should have seen it!"
"Send the signal again, they must have missed it in the heat of the battle. In the meantime, everyone hides behind the walls but watch out for rocks crumbling from above!"

*Boom* *Boom* *Boom*

The signal has been sent and is visible in the air for some time but the rocks raining from above have never ceased.

"What is happening? Why are they still attacking?"
"I have just received news! The supervisors are killed! The group operating the siege weapons are rebels! They have teamed up with the bandits!"
"The bandits?"
"The bandits have all emerged around us. They are now surrounding us."
"Rebels!?!? Those idiots!! Why would they team up with the bandits!?"
"It doesn't matter now, we all need to regroup and defend ourselves. I need a group to repair the walls! I need another group to clear ruined buildings here! The rest concentrate on defending the walls and trying to destroy those siege weapons!!"
"Yes, maam!!"

The bandits have all emerged outside of the walls now surrounding the defenders of the region, forcing them to retreat into the ruined bandit base. They are now trying to defend the walls as they repair it to help protect them from the siege weapons they themselves helped construct.

The people sent to be part of the 'compression ring' plan are all veteran defence force members. The situation is dire and the supervisors of the 'compression ring' plan have all died but they quickly regrouped themselves as the current situation would continue to spiral down if they didn't act fast.

Each group is still being led by the respective leaders but they all had a tacit understanding that the first group that reached the walls to be the general leader, to clear up the chain of commands.

*Boom* *Boom* *Boom*

The catapults have been attacking the walls nonstop and they aren't fixing it fast enough to protect them from the enemy attacks.

Every time they try to attack the siege weapons, the group rushing towards them are being concentrated on by the other nearby siege weapons, forcing the group to fall back behind the walls.

The defenders of the region are now forced to passibly defend themselves despite being the initial attacker of this siege war.

2