Volume 3: Chapter 1 Frank Stein
55 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Beast continent.

Inside a forest in the middle of nowhere, a small shockwave echoed throughout the woods. However, both animals and monsters didn't feel it. As if it was the most natural thing in the world, a shell appeared at the centre of that shockwave.

 

 

*Cough* *Cough* *Cough*

"Ack, hah, hah, Aghhhh!!!!!"

*Pant* *Pant* *Pant*

That has been my worst death as of yet. My body felt very heavy the moment I fell. As soon as the darkness swallowed me, I felt gravity increasing, like I just came up from a swim.

My mana, strength, and even my spirit felt like it was being drained within that abyss.

I tried really hard to use magic but as my mana was being projected, it was being dispersed throughout that blank space. In the end, landing on the rubble of the collapsed floor killed me.

I broke my arms and legs but I could take that. The chest depression from landing on rocks made it hard to breathe but I could heal myself, though it works very slowly since my magic was being drained, my mana capacity is fairly large after all.

The worst part is landing on my throat without my neck actually snapping!! It took a few minutes for a rock, I can't believe I am saying this, to actually land on my end thereby freeing me from that life!!

Anyway, where am I? This looks like a forest. My arms have a greenish brown shade. I am either on the beast continent or the demon continent.

However, before anything else, I need to leave this place quickly. Those pesky hero descendents might be nearby.

[Earth Tunnel] x10

[Earth Cover] x5

This should be deep enough that they won't be able to find me and this should be enough space for me to breathe while sorting myself out.

I'm still humanoid, I have no clothes and as usual, I have the beginner's starter equipment that I can't use.

*Stomp* *Stomp* *Stomp* *Stomp*

I can hear them walking about at my initial 'respawn point'. Why do they know where and when I arrive?

Hmm, they are descendants of the heroes, so they might also have some items and skills that help them find new ‘heroes’ that arrive in this world. They might have a way to trace me, so I need to leave here for now.

I almost missed it but my new skill was something related to appraisal. It looks like it isn't the all mighty appraisal skill though since I have been trying to use it but it doesn't seem to activate. Unfortunately, I was choking on reflex when I 'respawned' and I didn't have time to pay attention to my new skill.

My new name was Frank Stein, someone who died of old age. I should probably change names too in order to avoid getting found out. It won't matter to the general public but these hero descendants can be found everywhere, I assume.

For now, I'll need to leave this area before they find a trace of me. I haven't surveyed the area, so I don't know which direction to head. Any random direction is alright for now as long as I don't fall into the sea.

Ah! That would be a good idea. I will partially close the area I have been to and use that small gap to fill the passage with water. I'll tunnel upwards to make sure the previous passage would fill up with water as much as possible too. This should help erase any traces of me and random pockets of water underground sound amusing to me.

 

 

[Water]x20

That should be enough. I'm done, I'm spent. For some reason, magic is really hard to use on this continent. The dwarf continent was overabundant in density of [Fire] and [Earth] magic, so it was hard to use other elements.

In this continent, it's hard to use all of them, though I haven't tried fire. However, considering the lush woodlands where I 'respawned' before [Earth] and [Water] should be easy to use in this place but I have a hard time using my mana and I feel that my mana regeneration is slower too.

This surely isn't the human continent from how my skin has a green and brown shade. The trees are also a very telling sign that this isn't the dwarf continent either.

The trees are normal trees and the land is of normal colour, so it doesn't seem to be the demon continent. I could be in the beast continent but my arms look normal. My ears are in the right place and I can't see any excess body hair.

There is a forest, so maybe this is the elf continent. My green and brown tint must mean I am some kind of mountain elf. The ears are of normal length but I need more details first to be sure.

*Crack* *Crack* *Poke*

Finally, sunlight! Hmm, I can't hear anything in the surrounding area. This place seems to be outside the forest too. Grass fell out from where I dug out, so maybe a plain?

Left is clear, very clear since it is the continuation of the plains. The right side is a forest, my tunnel is in that direction, so I need to leave that place before I meet those hero descendants. The front is a path and the back is heading towards a mountain.

Normally, I would follow the path since it might lead to civilization but with the hero's descendant wandering about in the forest, the best choice is to run away in the opposite direction. I must put as much distance as possible between me and that group of thieving bastards.

However, before anything else, I need clothes. It's a good thing I am already prepared. I have different styles and sizes of clothes just for this occasion. My previous clothes can't seem to fit anymore, so I should have a larger body than before and from the looks of it, I am almost twice as tall as my time when I was a dwarf.

[Earth Pit]

I don't really want to change underground but changing above ground isn't exactly suitable either. Ideally an enclosed space would be better but since I also need to pay attention to the surroundings, and need light, I'll just change here in this space.

*Scrape* *Scrape* *Crack* *Crack*

Agggghhh, it's really itchy!! Tunnelling through underground really dirty you up. I think I am starting to become a rock golem at my current state. This is a combination of loose soil and the humidity of staying down there. I don't really sweat that much but I have been flooding the tunnels I went through down there so I got a bit muddy from that. The amount of moisture isn't that much so all of the soil that fell on my body stuck to the little moisture and has now dried.

I want to wash everything off but I can't exactly show up squeaky clean. I need to establish some background information for myself.

The same way as I was when I just arrived in the dwarf continent, I need an I.D. I guess I could use the old 'attacked by bandits' routine like I did back at the dwarf continent. I need to make myself look dirty as if I have just gone through difficulties in escaping. This mud and debris on my body should be enough proof.

However, I can't stand being itchy like this. I'll just wash off the parts of my body that will be covered with clothes. Speaking of which, I also need to retrain this new body of mine.

Hmm? Scales? Do I have scales?

*Poke* *Poke*

Whoaaa! I have a tail? This means I am in the beast continent! My tail is smooth, pointy and thick. I have scales here and there, mostly on my forearms and shins. My hands are still like a normal human. I feel that my nails are stronger but not like an animal's claws.

The beastkin here has a physique closer to that of a human, which makes it harder to find out what kind of beastkin I am.

*Thunk* *Thunk*

And a shell..... I'm a turtle beastkin. I have thick scaly forearms and shins, a thick pointy tail and a shell. I'm a turtle beastkin.

It looks like training defence will be my priority in this life again. My shell isn't a complete shell like you find on a turtle. It isn't bowl shaped. It's more of a flexible armour that is permanently connected to my back. It has pointy parts here and there, mostly on the shoulder part and some on my sides. Interestingly, I also have a shell-like thing covering my torso and stomach.

I still have normal hair but somehow it's red and brown. Well, at least I don't have a turtle head.

Hmm, it's good that I know what kind of race I am now but I don't know what to do with my clothes. I thought I prepared for a lot but this body of mine is way too irregular for any of the clothes that I have.

Do I prepare holes for every shell point that I have, or do I just wear a bigger shirt and let those pointy parts do their damage?

Actually, if I just wear the bigger clothes and let the shell do the damage to the clothes, then the wear and tear would look more natural. It will only add to my story of being attacked by bandits.

This shirt should be big enough.

[Leather Shirt(XL) - 75 copper coins.]

Oh? I was using my appraisal skill everywhere but it looks like I now find where it can be used. It seems that I have an item appraisal, which gives me the value of things.

I can use this. I'll be a merchant in this life to make full use of this skill!

3