Volume 1: Chapter 21 Festival
425 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Everyone! Here are the gracious people donating a load of orc meat to the village. Show your appreciation! They plan to explore the forest tomorrow and uncover its mystery. Let us raise our glass for their safety and success!!"

The village chief knows how to rile people up. He even added a compliment to the idiots throwing their life away. During one of the village chief's long stories she also mentioned that some adventurers party used to frequent here to explore the forest. No one came back once they entered the forest though. I assume they reach near the inner layer of the forest and found some enemy they couldn't run away from. I just can't understand people like them, why can't they live peacefully like me.

A group of three huh. Two guys and one lady. One hulking man with great muscles wearing a dark shiny carapace like chest armour without sleeves, equiped with a huge double axe strapped to his back. He must be the main damage dealer. The other guy is wearing a full plate armour without the helmet, he is on the slender side and equiped with a round shield and a short sword. He must be tank/support all rounder. The only lady in the group is dressed in light leather armour but she isn't wearing a skirt like those in most rpg but a cloth pants with leather patches here and there. Maybe a balance for mobility and defense? She has a fairly skinny build and her size is around apples, huh. She is equipped with a small wand and set of bow and arrows. A long range specialist huh. She may use the bow and arrow as a main weapon to conserve mana.

The big guy is bald with scars here and there, the slender guy has one of those blue pretty boy hair, while the witch has short green hair reaching around her shoulder. Usually the mana of the person has an influence in your hair colour but its very minute, some just outright dye their hair on their preference. It's one of the main product of the merchants guild so the hero probably popularized it.

"OOOOHHH!! Looks like great feast. We can store a lot of energy for tomorrow with this."
"Can't you think about anything else other than eating and fighting. I don't care anymore, just don't get in the way of me relaxing while I'm mingling with these beautiful country beauties."
"Pervert, just don't do anything to compromise your stamina for tomorrows expedition. This is our last quest after all. After exploring the depths and conquering whatever is inside there we will make enough money for me to retire grandly."

A battle hungry idiot, a flirty spoiled looking pretty boy and someone who just wants money to retire. Should I say typical? Glory, fame and money in one party. Those stubborn adventurers who remain are mostly these types. You can't earn proper income now since their job is basically done for free by the soldiers and knights but if they defeat strong or unique monsters, the merchant guild pays for it with a high price. Seems like this is their last quest together. If they succeed or fail this will really be their last quest.

"Well then everyone. The main characters are here, CHEERS!!"
"CHEERS" xWhole village

Finally, its time for the free for all buffet. The main meat is pig-ish, the side dishes are vegetables from the farmers, the desserts are bread and fruits, and finally the drinks are wine from our very own winery. This is probably the point where most people would think, 'I want to eat it all, I wonder where should I start' but the answer is really obvious. You start with those near you and keep eating until I can't move anymore. Only drink if you are choking since liquids make you feel full faster.

I don't really like eating fat so I only choose those with lots of meat. If it can't be helped I scrape off the fat with my dagger. I don't want the villagers or specifically the old folks to lecture me on being a picky eater so I will just store the fat in my [Butler Storage] and dispose of it later. I think I'm pretty full now. My stomach is starting to bulge, I need to work extra hard tomorrow so I won't become chubby again. I worked hard to build my muscles after all. I need to be able to move the way I want to in to protect myself in this monster infested world.

I can't move yet so let's just observe the three 'heroes' who will reward me with gear and money upon their deaths.

The big guy is drinking with some of the villagers. I can see the female butcher who has a lip cut is down for the count along with the carpenters and some farmers. The only one in the drinking contest are the big guy, the wine workers and the village chief. Looks like the village chief is winning, her liver is pretty strong for someone so old. While they are busy let's check out the skin head's equipment. The carapace armour is a shiny black colour with gold lining, seems expensive. The boots and leggings are also made from the same material, his pants are made from metal. Not enough material to make it or not enough money to buy the whole set? The double headed war axe is made from some kind of bone. The edges have a saw tooth and the it even has a spear point in the middle with a shining red crystal just below it. If I look at it from afar it has a pointed shape like a tooth that has the tip removed and the middle hollowed out to make it look like an axe. Expensive, really expensive, You are tempting my greed with this. I don't need much though, I only need enough to make it through until my harvest season. I could file for help from the kingdom but I don't want the princess to know I am here, she might come visit me on a whim.

Next is the flirty guy, looks like he is telling 'tales of heroism' to the marriageable young ladies of our village. The witch did warn him not to waste stamina for tomorrow but I don't know if he will hold himself back. The village isn't against the idea of having new kids since a lot families are starting to get related. The village chief also tried to force a 20 year old young lady during my stay at the carpenter's place, I think she was one of the farmer's daughter, but I rejected her saying that I am too old to 'remarry'. My setting here is that I'm an old guard who got mentally scarred of bloody battles after my wife, who was also a soldier got killed. I refused with my age and not wanting to forget my wife combo. I want a peaceful life of solitude and another person is also a variable I can't control, no thanks!

"My equipment here is made by dwarven smiths from the dwarven continent itself. It's made from a high-quality metal alloy that is imbued with heat and cold resistance enchantments. My shield is also made from the same material with a hardening and reflect enchantments. This sword is made from the tusk of metal ogre's native from the dwarven continent with runes allowing it a sharper edge and make it sturdier. It accompanied me to---"

Alright, no need to listen in anymore. The idiot already bragged about his stuff and from his description it's some really expensive junk I can sell. The witch is,...... not here anymore. Looks like she retired from the celebration some time ago. Never mind then, the combined profit I could potentially get from the two guys should fetch me enough money to last until my harvest comes.

I'm full, I secretly stored some extra meat in my inventory, and I unloaded all the fat I scrapped off by scattering them on the table to be disguised as leftovers too. Some of the villagers are starting to leave too, if things go as usual then we need to come back tomorrow for clean up. I should use this time to leave too. Cleanup starts really early just before work time so a couple of hours before dawn. The parent's generation are usually the one who clean up and since I didn't do anything significant I also need to help. Those who skip are lectured by the combined force of the old folks so I need to rest now to prepare myself.

 

Happy New Year

14