Ch.22 – Orbit
122 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Gungnir idled just outside of Mittila’s gravity well. Above the planet was a stardock that maintained a geosynchronous orbit attached to a space elevator, the primary. Across the surface were smaller settlements, but none even half as grand as the one that wore the planet’s namesake; Mittila. Down at the planetary anchor for the stardock, Mittila’s grand sprawl radiated in spiderwebs of light. 

Aria stretched before taking a seat. The shuttle that would ferry her and Maks to the stardock was relatively small, with only a few rows of seats in the main cabin, but comfortable for what it was. While she was glad to be going home, she was happier to be putting more distance between her and Penrose. She looked over toward Maks who had pushed the seat in front of her forward so far that it was unusable, and still it looked like she barely fit. 

“Hey, Maks,” said Aria. 

Maks looked over, head leaning against the top cushion of her seat. “Yeah? You still worried about Nimue?” 

Aria nodded. “She should be here with us.”

“It’ll be fine, we’ll meet her planetside.” Maks pushed the seat in front of her forward in annoyance. “It was her idea anyway.”

“That doesn’t mean I have to like it,” said Aria as the shuttle’s thrusters kicked on. 

“You could contact her, you know? The comms system in an Einherjar doesn’t drain much in the way of power,” said Maks.

The shuttle slid along rails to a launch chute as Aria thought about it. In a way she should have been happy for her, but Aria found herself missing Nimue’s constant presence; it was different than needing to open a comms channel. Airlocks opened and closed as the vessel made its way. Its thrusters igniting as the doors block its path out into the void parted. As it left the Gungnir, the panels inside next to the passenger seats blinked to life, displaying feeds from the external cameras.

“So, Aria. Where exactly do you live down there?” Asked Maks, looking over at the display next to Aria.

Aria pointed to a section of light that slightly intruded over an ocean. “Down there. It’s a converted warehouse.”

“Sounds like it’s got more space than my hab unit at the very least,” laughed Maks. 

Aria shrugged. “Probably, but we’ll have to get another bed delivered for you.” 

“We’re similar-ish heights, don’t tell me you sleep on a twin or something?” asked Maks, leaning a little closer. 

Aria blushed, cheeks hot. “I… I had just thought you’d want your own space.” 

“Well yes, I would like my own space. But that doesn’t mean I need to sleep there.” Maks stood and braced herself with an arm against the overhead compartment. “Even if it is a twin, I can make it work. We'll just be real close, Aria.”

“But, I…” Aria stammered.

Maks leaned a little closer. “You what?” 

“Well…” 

Maks laughed. “Never gonna get tired of how soft you are outside of your machine.” 

“You saw me in that wreck, I’m not soft outside of the Caliburn!” protested Aria. 

“That’s different, that’s a job,” said Maks, reaching down to lift Aria’s chin.

“But I was outside of the Caliburn…” 

“Quit being a pedant,” said Maks, kissing her.

Maks pushed Aria back into her seat, a hand on her thigh. Aria melted into her touch as the shuttle sailed through the void. 

______

Nimue leaned back inside the Caliburn. The external displays were off, but she didn’t need them to see what was going on outside of the Einherjar. Tethered as she was to her Hamr, to her body, she wasn’t incapable of reaching beyond it. She could not sail through systems as she once did, at least not without the assurance of pain when reconnecting. 

Through the Caliburn’s external sensors she peered out, the backlights of the machine’s cranial camera banks disabled as she did. She, the Caliburn and Maks’ Deathless had been placed into the cargo bay of a Penrose ship that was headed directly down to Mittila. The Caliburn’s camera bank focused on the Deathless across from it, trailing from the band of optics within its visored head down to the extra armor panels that covered the cockpit. 

The vessel rocked as it entered the planet’s gravity well.

She reached out, senses touching the Deathless’ systems, then pinging the Hamr secreted inside. “Freya, did you manage to make it on?

I did, yes, but Nimue…” she paused, “she’s going to realize I’m gone.”

What do you mean? You said you’d left a proxy,” replied Nimue.

Freya leaned back in the Deathless’ cockpit. “Cecile, but especially Friia will notice.

If they notice it will be too late. You said you could alter your own mind, then you should sweep it for any failsafes they may have left behind,” said Nimue.

The cargo ship rocked as it entered Mittila’s atmosphere. Freya hadn’t responded, leaving Nimue to assume she was following her recommendation. Nimue connected her mind to the ship’s guidance system and occupied herself with making any adjustments she saw fit. Once they landed, her debt would be paid and it would just be her and Aria again… with Rufus and Maks as well. Something about that bothered her. It bothered her back in the suite too. 

Nimue. I need to ask something of you,” said Freya.

Nimue pulled her mind back. “Continue.”

“Could you check my mind? I… I am afraid that they’ve laid a trap for me inside myself. I haven’t been back to a dock since we made our deal, so if there is one, it shouldn’t recognize you.”

She had thought about checking Freya’s memory before, when she had been riding along back on the Gungnir, but had decided against it. Now, Freya was asking for her to do so. “I can, yes. Allow me a moment, and I am sorry if it hurts.” 

“Sure, just… If you find anything…”

“I will take care of it. You do not need to worry. I have no reason to harm you.” 

“That isn’t all I meant! If there’s anything from my past, please tell me.” 

Nimue paused. “Understood, Freya. I am going to connect now.”

Freya nodded inside the Deathless’ cockpit. “I’m ready.”

______

The shuttle settled as it was guided inside the station atop the Mittila space elevator by a set of docking arms. It glided inside and came to a stop inside an airlock; the atmosphere of the station being let in before the next set of shutters let the vessel taxi into the station proper. Once it had stopped and a ramp had extended the door out of the shuttle’s cabin hissed and opened. 

Aria looked back up at Maks, panting softly. “And now we’re just gonna get off and act like we weren’t just…”

Maks smirked down at her. “Oh no, people are going to see you all flushed.” 

“Rude… And it’s not just that,” mumbled Aria. 

Maks pulled back and offered a hand. “Stand up and I’ll be the judge of if it’s visible.”

Aria took her hand and stood, stepping into the aisle between the seats. “Well?” 

Maks leaned down and looked at Aria’s front then scoffed. “You’ve gotta be remembering how it was before your transition, because I don’t see shit,” said Maks, shaking her head.

“Hmph, I’m still kinda worked up though,” said Aria, heading toward the door.

“Then I’ll just have to see if I can do better on the way down to the surface,” said Maks, following Aria.

The pair of them entered the central sprawl of the station; a hub of eateries, bars, gift shops and hotels for those waiting for a connecting trip. Aria had been here many times before and after a job, and as such had some places she favored. 

Aria looked back over her shoulder. “Maks, you hungry? It’s looking like all the capsules are out still, unless you want to get on the main one.”

“I could eat. And besides, I don’t think we could get away with having some fun in a public elevator,” said Maks.

Aria grabbed Maks’ arm and tugged. “Then over here.” 

Aria pulled her along, through the slight stream of people and into a restaurant dominated by a long bar and the scent of cooking meat. 

Maks looked over at Aria as they took a pair of the last available seats. “Seems popular.”

“With good reason.” Aria tapped on the menu laminated onto the bar.

“Haven’t seen a physical menu in a while.” Maks looked it over. “All skewers, there was a place like this back on Xi’an.”

“Then you’ve already got an order in mind?” asked Aria.

Maks tapped the menu. “Garlic and pork belly. You gonna have a drink?” 

“Should probably be sober until we’re settled in.” said Aria.

Maks nodded. “Then I’ll get a cola, you gonna get a Watermellow?” 

“Actually can’t stand soda. The fizz bothers me,” said Aria.

“Really? Then why did you have two on the ship?”

“Needed sugar. They took me off IV food without any assistance.” Aria pointed to the scars radiating from her ARC, then over to below Maks’ bust. “You must have had something similar when you got shot.”

“Frankly, I can’t recall much of the treatment after. But yeah, probably, “ said Maks with a shrug. 

A man behind the bar leaned over. “What can I get for you ladies?” Maks gave her order then the man turned to Aria. “And you, miss?” 

“Beef tongue and garlic with a barley tea,” said Aria.

The man blinked. “Wait, is that you, Aria?” 

Aria nodded. “Uh, yeah. The scar and haircut threw you, huh?” 

“Of course! I’m glad to see you’re still kicking,” said the cook.

“Very nearly wasn’t.” Aria sighed. “She made sure I didn’t die on the last job.” She gestured to Maks.

Maks smirked and put a hand on Aria’s shoulder. “I can’t let my rival die, well can I?” 

“Maks…”

The cook raised a brow. “I’ll leave you to it then. Aria, you’ll have to tell me about your last job when you’re back without a date.”

Aria blinked and looked over at Maks. “Date?”

Maks laughed as the cook went to get their drinks. “I mean, that is what it looks like. Do you want it not to be?”

Aria leaned against Maks. “... No.”

“I’ve said it before,” Maks hooked an arm around Aria. “You’re so much softer outside of the Caliburn.”

“Same to you.” 

“Physically, sure.” 

The pair stayed like that, leaning against each other until their drinks arrived. Maks took a sip of her drink. “Aren’t you going to add some sugar or something?”

Aria cocked her head to one side. “Why?”

“You know, the blood sugar thing. Is that still happening?” asked Maks, pushing her drink over towards Aria a little.

“I feel fine, and I know if I need it I can just steal some from you.”

“Can’t steal what’s being offered.”

“Try me.”

“Whatever makes you feel better about it.”

Aria grabbed Maks’ drink and took a small sip. “Still don’t like the bubbles…” 

Maks patted Aria’s head. “Dork.” 

“I’m allowed to have preferences,” said Aria in a huff. 

“Sure you are, and I’m allowed to think it’s kinda funny that for all your viciousness in combat you’re defeated by carbonation.”

“I’m not… Urgh, can still beat you,” said Aria.

The cook put their skewers down in front of them. “Last I heard Aria was up one, Koschei.” 

“The hell did you know that’s who I was?” asked Maks, pressing the piece of garlic at the end of the skewer into the small pile of salt on its tray. 

“Babe, it’s on your jacket,” said Aria.

Maks exhaled through her nose. “Right.” 

“He’s right though, I’m still up one,” said Aria before having one of her pieces of garlic.

“What does our encounter in your hab unit count as?” asked Maks.

Aria flushed. “Hey, no, come on.” 

“I remember you being knocked right out after. The last time  I left you unconscious that counted as a win.”

“Yeah, but that was with grenades and this was…” Aria whined. 

“I fucked you unconscious,” said Maks with a smirk.

Aria closed her eyes and stared into her tea. “Hey, how long on the other skewers?” she asked, trying to change the subject.

“About five for yours, maybe as much as ten for hers. The fat’s gotta render a bit,” said the cook, seemingly unfazed by the conversation as he turned back to the grill.

Aria hit Maks’ shoulder weakly. “Why do you have to embarrass me?”

Maks smiled. “It’s fun! But, uh…”

“But what?” huffed Aria.

“We’ve got a little down time. Why don’t you call Rufus?” Asked Maks.

Aria tapped her fingers on the bar. “I guess I need to, don’t want to just show up.” She pulled up Rufus’ contact info and readied herself. “Should have called when we were in the shuttle.”

Maks ate another piece of garlic. “So why didn’t you?”

Aria looked over at Maks, eyes narrow. “I wonder why.”

Maks laughed. “I’m just irresistible, clearly.”

“You’re lucky you are,” said Aria. 

Aria pulled the trigger and rang Rufus. He picked up immediately. “Uh, hey…” 

“Aria. What happened?” asked Rufus, his voice sounding tired.

“There was resistance, and some weird shit I can’t talk about over generic comms.” Aria took another sip of her tea. “I got a haircut?”

“Kid, you’re days late on even sending a message. Tell me why.” 

“Well, I nearly died, but I’m okay,” said Aria.

“Can you still pilot?”

“Yeah, I can–” 

“Any body parts missing?”

“No, but I–”

“Good.” Rufus exhaled. “Sorry about being terse, I’ve not been sleeping well.”

“... Sorry.” 

Maks looked over, setting the now bare skewer down.

“No, no. It’s alright.” Rufus sighed and Aria could hear his chair creak. “So when can I expect you home?”

“We’re on the stardock, so soon,” said Aria.

“We? Oh, how is Nimue?” asked Rufus. 

“It’s more than Nimue…”

Aria looked over at Maks smiling smugly. “Yeah, I… Have a plus one.”

Rufus chuckled. “Didn’t expect you to bring anyone home.”

“What’s that meant to mean!?” Aria whined.

“That you’ve never done much other than work, and spend time on your Einherjar with Nimue. Oh, and duck out on going to the range,” said Rufus.

“You’re not wrong…”

“So, is she going to be there with you when you arrive?” asked Rufus. 

“Yeah, she is.”

 Hello all! If you would like to support me you can do so at my Patreon. Before I continue I'd also like to thank my partner and editor CassieSandwich for all that she does for me. You should check out her work too. If you want to contact either of use we have a Discord.

Thank you for reading Season of Fools and please feel free to leave a comment! I deeply appreciate them and will read them all as well as reply if you ask a question. 

8