Chapter 1: The Fairy and the Basilisk
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sixty years earlier

 

        The gentle whispering of warm wind brushed the Paperblank Forest's treetops like the wisps of fairy wings. Golden rays of sunshine danced through the leaves and scanned the forest bed. Deep in its heart was a single shrine. Vines and flowers decorated it from top to bottom, and a stone staircase was in front of it. The shrine was home to the Green Guardian. Her house, made from leaves and branches, curled around the shrine's front legs. It blended in well with the vines as if it had the gift of camouflage.

        Euphorbia woke early to check her flowers. Only two inches tall, she was a member of the fae–the fairies. She wore a long, green dress woven from leaves that had a deep green belt tied around her waist and emerald ballet slippers on her little feet. Her wispy, red hair flowed in the sunshine while she flew. Blue and green fairy dust sparkled in her clear butterfly wings. She listened to the Paperblank Forest's morning announcements and tended to her plants.

        Forest creatures: deer, squirrels, birds, and rabbits emerged from within bushes. They stepped onto the shrine's stone path, seeming to smile at the fairy. The rabbits' button noses twitched, and the deer moved their ears. Like Euphorbia, they listened to the forest's wise words:

        "Euphorbia, you must fly. You are not safe."

        Euphorbia joined her animal friends and peered up at the treetops. Confusion flashed across her face, like the lens of a camera. She sniffed the fresh air. It smelled no different. So, why did the forest tell her to fly?

        She gasped when the animals scattered. They rushed back into their holes, nests, and bushes, leaving her all alone. A low hiss came from deep within a cluster of ferns. Red eyes appeared on top, seeming to stare at her.

        Euphorbia inched closer to her home, startled by what was happening.

        A deep, booming voice caused her tiny head to shake like a record player. "There she is–the Green Guardian."

        The creature in the ferns hissed, "Indeed," to his master.

        Euphorbia tried to fly, but it was already too late. A puff of blue-green smoke escaped the ferns and encased her whole shrine in a cocoon. Instantly, she felt weak. The glow in her wings faded, and she sank to the ground. Nevertheless, she stayed strong. The petals of her flowers waved goodbye as she fluttered out of danger, only to find herself in even more trouble.

        The creature from the bush and his master followed her. After all, they were eager to get their paychecks.

***

        "Little boy, what are you doing this deep in the forest?"

        Sam jumped when he heard the voice. He peered up from his sketchbook and hopped off the rubbish log he had been sitting on. No longer under the cool shade of the tall oak, he looked across the small, rushing stream in front of him. The section of the forest he was in had enormous trees, and all of their branches curved like arches. The dirt under his shoes felt like sand on a beach. Oh, how he had the urge to take them off.

        Directly in front of him stood a young woman. She was about twenty years old. Her white dress reached for her ankles, and there were pink and purple patterns on the hem of it. Her lace-up boots dug into the dirt. Over her elbow was a picnic basket. "Are you lost?" she asked.

        Sam shook his head of medium-length, brown hair. Two tufts hung in front of his ears. "No, ma'am," he said. "I was just trying to find a quiet place to draw." The sun's rays sparkled in his blue eyes.

        "How old are you?" the woman wanted to know.

        "Eleven."

        She chuckled and brought her hand to her lips. "Oh, the joys of being a tween. Remember, little one, if you're going to explore this forest, then you need to watch out for the Green Guardian."

        A question mark appeared over Sam's head. "The Green Guardian? What's the Green Guardian?" he asked as he slipped his sketchbook into the leather satchel he wore over his shoulder. He shivered when a zephyr rushed through the area.

        The woman came within reach of him. She smiled sweetly and ran her fingers through her blonde hair. "The Green Guardian is a legend that has been passed down from generation to generation in Paperblank Village, my home. She's said to be a fairy, and she watches over the forest day after day, night after night."

        Sam found himself drowning in his curiosity. "Really? A fairy?" He brushed the dirt off his short-sleeved, white shirt and olive-green pants.

        Nodding, the young woman peered up at the trees. "Yes. She revives plants and animals who have fallen ill, but she also has the power of time travel."

        The concept of time travel fascinated Sam. He always wondered if it was real. It turned out it was. A grin stretched across his young face.

        "But beware," said the girl. "If the Guardian sings, then she can take you on a trip through time. In case that happens, use this."

        Sam noticed her reaching into the pocket of her dress. "What is that?" he asked.

        The girl pulled a small, white pebble from her dress and offered it to him.

        He happily accepted it. The pebble was one of the most beautiful stones ever. Its skin was smooth, like the ones found on the bottom of a clear river. A rainbow shimmered inside it. He examined the pebble up and down.

        "This is the Guardian's pebble," explained the young woman. "It's connected to her and will free anyone who ever finds themselves trapped in time."

        "How did you get it?"

        The girl wasn't too eager to share that part of the story. "My point is, just be careful."

        Sam, who never pressured people into sharing life experiences, nodded and said, "Don't worry. I will. Thanks for the warning, miss."

        "You may call me Autumn."

        Sam's smile grew. "Autumn. I'm Sam." He offered Autumn his hand.

        She took it and gave it a small shake.

        Afterward, the boy turned on his heel. He passed Autumn and headed for a deeper section of the forest... one full of tightly clustered trees.

        Autumn moved her picnic basket over to her other elbow and watched him. "Oh, Sam," she called, "if you have time, try some of the Paperblank Forest's berries. They're delicious."

        Sam paused briefly to hear her out. Just at the mention of food, his tummy rumbled. "Mmm, that sounds like fun. I'll make sure to bring you some, miss."

        "Oh, you don't have to do that."

        "No, I want to. It's the least I can do to thank you for that warning."

        Blushing, Autumn reached for her cheek. "You're sweet."

        Sam giggled. "Thanks. My parents tell me that, too. Well, nice to meet you, Autumn."

        "Nice to meet you, Sam." Autumn hugged her basket to her chest. She missed being a kid. Sam had no idea how lucky he was.

***

        As a precaution, Sam kept the pebble in his hand. The forest grew even more beautiful the further he trekked. He walked through meadows of pink, yellow, and purple flowers and lime-green grass. His head overflowed with the plants' enchanting scents. Little by little, he started to see berry bushes. Most were clumped together in rows. Before Sam knew it, berries surrounded him in all compass directions. He passed a hill to reach them. There was an opening in the treetops above, so speckles of sunshine bounced off each bush.

        The trees stared him down.

        Sam stepped into a circle of berries and took off his bag. He set it down next to his ankle and placed the pebble on top of it. He went to every bush. Each one had different-colored berries. Sam tried as many as he could. Just like Autumn said, they were delicious. Not only that, but the berries were magic. They gave the eater a temporary magical power.

        Sam popped a pink, banana-shaped one in his mouth. It tasted like freshly picked strawberries. "That was epic!" he said.

        Curious birds and squirrels watched him from their branches.

        The little boy reached for another berry, but he gasped when a gale appeared under him. Like a cannonball shot from a cannon, it threw him into the sky. "Whoa!" Sam said. Before he knew it, he floated over the whole forest. His eyes caught a cluster of treehouses further away. That was Paperblank Village. The houses ranged in size from small, medium, and tall. The afternoon sun glistened over each house's leafed roof. It made for quite an enthralling picture.

        Sam was beyond amazed. He studied the blanket of trees under him and grinned a stupid grin. Only a little bit later, the gale escorted him back down to the same berry patch. He landed gently and instantly tried another one. It was purple with black seeds. Its shape was that of a raspberry. The sweet yet sour taste melted on his tongue. Excited, Sam clapped his hands together. Right when he did, he turned invisible. "Whoa, this is sick!" he said. "I love these berries!"

        The animals seemed to laugh. A few squirrels rolled around on their backs, and the birds hid behind their wings.

        Except, the fun didn't last for long. Something startled the forest creatures. The squirrels made haste to hide in knotholes, and the birds disappeared behind leaves. They sensed danger. No one was safe, not even the mysterious visitor.

        Sam reappeared as his normal self, and he groaned. "Aw, I liked being invisible."

        Rustling came from some bushes outside his circle. Just hearing it, Sam instantly lost his smile. "Who's there?" He quickly picked up his bag and the pebble. The young boy pushed through the berry patch he had been playing in and tiptoed toward the noisy plants. Before he could even say, "Nay," the world crashed on his shoulders.

        An enormous shadow rose out of the bushes, engulfing Sam in an extended shadow that stretched across the area. Familiar red eyes bore into his soul.

        The serpent had to be at least twenty feet long. It looked like a cobra, but horns stuck up on its head. Its body was brown and covered in rough scales and spikes. It also had two tails. Each was long and built to squeeze the life out of prey. A cloud of smoke was visible deep in its throat.

        Before Sam could scream, before Sam could run, a seven-foot-tall man ambushed him. He looked like a hunter–a hunter with one dead eye. His top was a little big for him, but his stretchy, black pants and fingerless gloves were just right. His muscles were big enough for a superhuman. He thrusted his hands around Sam's neck and slammed him up against a tree. "Where's Euphorbia?" the man spat in his booming voice.

        Sam dropped his bag and the pebble and grabbed hold of the man's wrists. "I don't know what you're talking about!" he gasped.

        "Where's the Green Guardian?" The man shook Sam's neck so forcibly, his eyes knocked together. "You have her pebble, so you've seen her!"

        "I'm innocent! Please!" Sam begged.

        "Poppycock!" The hunter chucked him off to the side.

        Sam crashed into the fun berry patch. Miraculously, he was unharmed, but his clothes were now splattered with berry juice. He felt his whole body shaking. He even pinched himself to make sure he wasn't dreaming.

        The hunter looked over his shoulder to the serpent and ordered, "He's a witness! Destroy him!"

        It nodded and got down on its front. The snake slithered toward Sam, but it lost scales in the process. It stretched its tongue as far as it would go, and the smoke in its throat moved up to its lips.

        Up above, the sun disappeared behind some clouds. The whole of the Paperblank Forest grew darker and colder.

        Sam was too scared to move. "Please," he begged, holding his hands up to his face.

        The hunter sneered when the serpent reached the boy. It pushed itself to its rear and hissed at him. The monster prepared to launch a cannonball of smoke, but before it could, something came between it and Sam–a bright, green light. Euphorbia.

        Though weakened by its poisonous breath, she managed to unleash a wave of light that blinded the creature and hunter.

        The creature screamed a terrifying, high-pitched roar.

        Sam smacked his hands over his ears.

        One spell was all Euphorbia could do. The glow faded, and she fell from the sky.

        Sam quickly caught her in his palms. His jaw dropped at the sight of the weakened fairy. Who was she?

        The hunter and serpent managed to recover from her spell, but they immediately recognized her.

        "See? He's a witness!" the hunter shouted. "Hand over Euphorbia, kid!"

        The realization sank in. Sam remembered Autumn's words. "Euphorbia?" he asked under his breath. The strength in his legs returned, and he rose to his feet, glaring at the hunter. "Why should I hand her over? What do you want with her?"

        Traumatized, Euphorbia wrapped her tiny arms around his index finger. She could not fly; she was too weak.

        "I'm not going to ask you again!" the hunter roared. "Give me the Guardian!"

        "No! Go away!" Sam shouted. He made haste to run, but the serpent chased him. Not only that, but Sam did not have his bag or the pebble. He sprinted through the rough wind. Dead leaves crunched under his feet. Before long, he found himself on a dirt path with ledges on either side of him. He was coming up on Euphorbia's shrine, but he did not get far.

        The serpent leaped out from the ledge on his left. A chunk of it broke off and hit the path. The creature plopped down in front of Sam and roared again.

        He was so shocked that his foot ended up hitting a loose piece of the lower ledge. He hugged Euphorbia to his breast and rolled down a steep hill into the deepest, darkest section of the forest. It was a place where the crows lived so they could seek out the dead. The trees were too close together, causing the whole area to appear black. Sam's left arm scraped up against a rock, smearing it with his blood. He reached the bottom of the hill and flew right into a tree. Instantly, his world went black, and he fell onto his side.

        Above, the crows cawed from their perches and excitedly flapped their wings.

        Euphorbia struggled to keep her eyes open. She rested on her front but pushed up onto her elbow. Fear pierced her like an arrowhead.

        The crows got together in a huge flock and soared down toward the injured beings.

        At the same time, the serpent broke out of the earth. It was directly in front of Euphorbia and Sam. Dirt rained down from its head.

        Euphorbia had no choice. She had to do it if she and the human were going to survive. She would waste all her strength, but she was willing to make the sacrifice.

        The fairy touched Sam's finger and called into the treetops, "Flight, flight. Escape with us to a time where things are right. Flight, flight. Escape with us to a time where things aren't quite."

        At her command, every tree in the Paperblank Forest glowed bright blue. A melodic tune filled the atmosphere.

***

        Autumn had been sitting by the stream, where she met Sam, when she heard the music. Water trickled down her face, but she quickly pulled her hands out of the warm, rushing river. Gasping, the young woman leaped to her feet. She accidentally kicked her picnic basket. Nevertheless, she paid no attention to it. Instead, she examined the glowing trees and observed, "That sound. That's Euphorbia." Fear flashed across her face. "Sammy!" She took off at a full sprint.

***

        The bright light stunned the crows and serpent.

        The crows hurried away from Sam and Euphorbia.

        On the other hand, the creature screeched and shook its head. It ducked into its hole to escape the luminary.

        Euphorbia cried louder and louder. At the same time, she and Sam glowed up.

        The hunter managed to find his way to the depths of the forest, after some intense studying of his pet's tracks. He held his hand out to the retreating creature and yelled at the top of his lungs, "No!"

        Too late. Sam and Euphorbia disappeared.

        "No! I was so close, too!" The hunter fell to his knees. He screamed just as loudly as the serpent. "He'll pay! They'll all pay!" With that, he clenched his fist and punched the ground.

***

        The forest calmed down. The trees stopped glowing, but there was no more Sam and no more Euphorbia. Yet, Autumn managed to find her way to the magical berry patch Sam played in earlier. It was where everything went hectic.

        She stumbled upon his bag, as well as the pebble. "No! No! No!" Autumn said. "Sam!" Her shaking hands picked up the pebble, and she hugged it to her chest. "No. This is all my fault. I should have never let him explore the forest alone."

        The sun popped out from behind the clouds. Its setting rays hit the pebble. The rainbow inside it sparkled.

        A few tears ran down Autumn's cheeks, but it wasn't long until she shook them off. Her face changed from grief to determination. With the pebble and Sam's bag in her hand, she rose to her feet. Her blue eyes rolled up to the silent treetops.

        They whispered, telling Autumn what she had to do next.

        She nodded understandingly. "You're right. They are counting on us to save them. It's time for me to become a Pinta Park Ranger."

0