No Coin for a Thief
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun rose far too early on the summer mornings; I woke with the birds calling to each other and chicks still begging for worms in the tree above my head. I’d slept beneath a large oak tree that gave plenty of shelter from the rain. It was quite the find and I was pretty proud of myself. It wouldn’t work when the weather worsened, but winter was still far away. Unlike the others, I hadn’t been homeless for long, and it had been misfortune that left me outside each night and begging for food in the day. Like the others, however, I too walked to the nearby temple where the Buddhist monks gave out small helpings of food. It wasn’t much, but was enough to quell a grumbling belly. If I was lucky, my begging would get me some coins or food for the rest of the day.

Two days previous a young boy named Ryuu had been taken in by a local couple and often wandered past in his new kimono and sandals. That was the dream we all had, sat by the roadside watching the people come and go.

“Sakazaki-san says there was another theft yesterday,” I overheard the monks talking as I was passed a bowl, “it seems like we need to do more teachings about greed.”

“Again? I feel Sakazaki-san won’t have a job much longer if he can’t catch whoever is doing this.”

My ears perked up. Sakazaki-san was an official who worked in the town, one of many who worked with money. I didn’t know much about him, except his reputation for spending most nights drinking. Perhaps it was him who stole the money from himself.

I shovelled the rice into my mouth, emptying the bowl as quick as I could. If I could find information on the thefts, which could be easy enough if I sat begging in the right place, I could offer it to Sakazaki-san for money.

Thanking the monks with a deep bow, I left them all behind and hurried off into town. The streets were busy enough already with farmers heading for their fields, merchants ready to make sales, and samurai on top of their horses. I followed the street deeper into town where the government buildings sat bundled together. It wouldn’t be uncommon for beggars to sit here, though we were regarded as a nuisance. Most stayed further out trying to take advantage of the workers, and I often joined them there.

So with my back to the buildings, I nestled down on the edge of the street, half-tucked out of view. I didn’t want to anger those with power, just watch and listen. Surely someone would speak too loudly or too freely without realising, and that’d be my moment. And then I, Daichirou, would finally be able to not beg for one whole day or even more if Sakazaki-san was kind.

All day I sat in the same place watching people come and go. Even Sakazaki-san rushed by when the sun was highest, though for once his mouth was shut firm and no secrets spilt. By the time the sun started setting, I was grumpy, sweating, and very hungry. I didn’t want to leave the spot, however, in case I missed my moment. Then I’d be back to begging tomorrow and the day after and again until I was old. I would not leave until I had something.

The streets slowly became empty as people returned to their homes for the evening. I too had been one of those people once. My father had taught me and my brothers all he knew about making ink, the family business which his own father had started. I didn’t care for it at the time. Both of my brothers were much better than me at learning and so I let them get on with it. Instead I had spent my time in my room drinking and trying my hand at poetry with the ink they made. Eventually my father sent me to live with a distant uncle, who in turn cast me to the streets. I was too proud to go back to my father now. I owned one kimono which had a new brown pattern of dirt and had too many holes now to count.

That kimono was now damp with all my sweat and I loosened it. My stomach grumbled unhappily and for a moment I thought about going to beg at the temple. I couldn’t keep out of my mind that what if I left and the thief returned. It may be a foolish idea, but I just couldn’t risk it. I’d made up my mind.

Grumble-grumble-grumble.

I wasn’t moving at all.

Grumble-grumble-grumble.

Not even a little bit.

Grumble-grumble-grumble.

Maybe just for a little food. Even some leftover rice or half-eaten tofu. If I was lucky there would be a generous family nearby who would feel sorry for me.

I climbed to my feet and brushed down the dust from my kimono before setting off down the street; still keeping my eyes open as Sakazaki-san’s office was close. I imagined a thief running down as fast as his sandals would allow, keeping to the growing shadows of buildings. Perhaps his kimono sleeves were filled with coins, rattling as he ran, dropping one or two for me to find. I kept my eyes to the floor for any stray coins that caught the dying light. So far all I had seen were rocks, pebbles, and the tip of a rat’s tail as he ran away. I sighed. Up ahead were more rocks, pebbles, and a tea kettle.

Wait. A tea kettle?

I hurried over and bent down to inspect it. Had someone dropped it by accident, leaving it to roll here out of sight? It looked freshly made, a plain kettle with a small decoration on the lid. Picking it up, it felt lighter than the kettle my father owned. I’d never owned one for myself, although I was tempted to take this one. Finding the owner would difficult, many people came and went from the town each day.

Something nagged at my stomach, however. Why would a tea kettle be here of all places. It was heavy and—and I was reminded of a trick my brother taught me once.

“This is a great tea kettle,” I said loudly. “I will take it home and use it right now and drink tea all night long.”

I reached for the lid, ready to take it off and—

Poof!

In place of the tea kettle now stood a tanuki, his round brown eyes watching me with fear. In his dark paws sat a pile of coins. He was the thief!

The tanuki took off running. I stood there as he ran on his hindlegs as his belly wobbled side to side. I knew exactly where he was heading, tanuki lived in the same forest I’d spent each night sleeping in. It was exact why the other homeless wouldn’t sleep beneath the trees.

I chased after him, hoping he dropped coins. I wasn’t far behind as he ran on clumsily, keeping a tight hold on the coins. He stopped only to climb up crates and hopped up onto the tile roof where I couldn’t reach him. I kept running, hearing his claws scratching against the ceramic, until we reached the edge of town. From the roof he jumped down and disappeared into the forest as I panted out of breath, so close behind.

Entering the forest, I yelled to him, “I know you are here, tanuki. I know you stole from Sakazaki-san. I can go to him now and tell him it was you who stole his coins. He’s an angry man, he’ll be back here with swords and won’t stop until he finds you.” I waited a moment and took another shaky breath as my heart pounded with exhaustion. “But if you give me just one of your coins so I can buy food, I won’t tell him.”

The forest was silent. Not even the birds were singing now, with darkness sending them to nest. If I strained my ears I thought I could faintly hear drumming coming from deep within the forest. Could it be tanuki-bayashi? The sounds of tanuki drumming away on their large rotund bellies.

Thump.

A coin landed down at my feet in the dirt. From the tree above the tanuki showed itself once again.

“Take this coin and buy yourself food. But if you tell them about me bad luck will come your way.”

I bowed my head quickly. “Thank you, kind tanuki.”

And as fast as he’d shown himself, he vanished back into the forest. I didn’t care then however, as I had my coin. Tanuki surely didn’t realise the value in each coin, probably only knowing it would make them rich. As I plucked the coin from the dirt, I grinned. This would pay for more than just food, I could treat myself for many days with just this one coin. It would have to wait until tomorrow, however. Tucking the coin away in my kimono, I went in search of the tree I had slept under the night before.

 

The next day I joined the homeless at the temple for our bowl of rice. It was hard to keep the smile from my face knowing what I had hidden in my kimono. Just like every other day, I emptied the bowl and handed it back to the monks with my thanks. I’d spent all night thinking how I would spend my coin, from buying fresh fruits to the biggest piece of tofu I’d ever seen. I wanted it all.

Returning into town, I walked the early bustling market with my coin looking for the best food. Many stalls offered goods I’d once been able to purchase without thought and now wished for. One by one I checked each stall until the most beautiful words touched my ears.

“Would you like to try our sake?”

It had been so long since my lips had tasted the sweet kiss of sake, I missed it like a long passed lover. It wasn’t even an option to wonder if I should try the sample before it was back on my lips and the coin was in my hand. The seller even let me stand right there drinking after taking his money, enjoying the taste once again. Cup after cup, the time slipped by. Customers came by to sample the taste also and joined in my drunken adventure. Eventually the shop turned me away and I found myself crumpled up on a side street, head spinning. When it slowed down enough, I realised why. My kimono, once covered in just dirt and sweat, was now also joined by vomit.

I was too embarrassed to be seen in such a state so I slipped it off and folded it to carry to the river. The sun began to set again and I stumbled my way back out of town to the riverside, hoping nobody was around to see what I’d done. As I walked the path swayed side to side and before long I found myself face first in a patch of wild chrysanthemums. The red-orange petals dropped as I landed, reminding me of the wily tanuki. This was all his fault.

Eventually I managed to climb out of the dirt and threw my kimono in the river with anger. I should have known better than to mess with a tanuki. He owed me new clothes. After dragging my kimono up and down in the water, I squeezed the silk and folded it again. I’d need to hang it from a branch overnight and hoped it would be dry by morning.

As I went back into the forest I called to the tanuki. “Tanuki, tanuki, give me another coin. I need to buy clothes.” At first there was silence until I yelled out. “If you don’t give me another coin, I’ll tell Sakazaki-san that you are the thief.”

Appearing in the trees once more, the tanuki sighed and threw another coin down to me. “This is the last coin I will give you. Don’t come back.”

I bowed my head over and over before plucking the coin from the ground. It was gold just like the first and would pay for the most extravagant kimono if I wanted. Tomorrow I’d go back to town and pick the best and finally be rid of my dirty, holey, kimono.

Just like every other night, I found the tree to sleep under, stopping to hang my kimono up on the branches and hoping it’d be dry by morning.

 

The next morning was yet another day of heading to the temple and receiving a bowl of rice from the monks, this time with my new coin hidden in my damp kimono sleeves, along with the remainders of what I hadn’t spent the day before. The monks still spoke of Sakazaki-san’s plight, this time finding every coin in his office gone.

The tanuki had to be so rich by now, and yet he only offered me one coin. He was lucky I hadn’t been to Sakazaki-san and told him, I could have been doubly rich.

As I walked into town once more, it was tempting to get his attention as he hurried past me in the street, brow furrowed deep. He’d been foiled by the tanuki many times now and only looked like a fool. Even in the streets people began to whisper behind his back about how he couldn’t catch a simple thief.

Instead of walking through the market, this time I went straight to one of the best kimono-makers. My uncle had bought his kimono from her and I always admired how well it hung from his figure. I’d asked him to buy me something similar, but instead I was given his cast off which was far too long for my short legs.

“Irasshaimase,” she greeted as I entered the shop.

I puffed out my chest. It had been a long time since I’d been greeted so formally.

“I’m in need of a new kimono,” I said, bringing out my golden coin. “Something better fitting than the one I have now.”

“Is there a special occasion?” she asked ushering me further into the shop. “A wedding?”

“No, not yet.”
I smiled. Wearing such a fancy kimono could make me more attractive to the women. My uncle and father would be shocked if I returned with not only a new kimono but a wife too, and even a house of my own. I would need more coins, but I was better than the tanuki. He couldn’t say no to me when the secret was so close to being spilt. The tanuki owed me too. He’d ruined my kimono and reminded me all about the luxuries in life. And now I had to have them again.

Once I had finished being measured and paying for my new kimono, I went straight back to the forest, ignoring the pull of the sake seller beckoning me over to spend more. The trees were swaying in light breeze as I approached, as if they whispered to each other.

“Tanuki, tanuki,” I said. “Please come back.”

I kept calling louder and louder until eventually the tanuki peeked out from behind a tree. “What do you want?”

“Tanuki, you have ruined me. With your coins I tasted sake again and bought the best kimono to wear. Now I can’t stop. I want a wife now, and a house. Then I can drink my sake every night until I am old, and my wife takes care of me.”

The tanuki huffed. “And let me guess, you won’t stop pestering me until I give you more coins. You’ll tell Sakazaki all about me being a thief.”

I nodded. “Yes. I deserve the coins too. I know you stole all of the coins from his office and I’ll send him to you. He’ll skin you and sell your pelt to the blacksmiths.”

“No! No! Please,” the tanuki begged. “I’ll give you more coins. Please don’t send me to the blacksmiths.”

Grinning, I opened up my hands. “Then we have a deal.”

The tanuki seemed to deliberate on his decision before pulling out a sack. “Here, this should be enough to buy a house and a wife, just like you want.”

I grabbed the sack with glee and turned my back to the forest. Tonight I wasn’t going to sleep against the oak tree, hoping it didn’t rain. Tomorrow I wasn’t going to the temple for a bowl of rice. No, I was going to pay for a room and sleep in a futon, waking when I wanted, and eating only the best food.

A few days later, and fat with rich food and potent sake, I lay on my new futon trying to write poetry. Ink drops soaked into the tatami as the room span in circles in my head. I’d drank too much again, but who cared. I had money to do this. This was my house now and in two days I would be wed to a beautiful woman. She had been standing watching the river flowing and her gentle face moved my heart. I promised to buy her only the best things, that she would never need anything.

It was evening and rain fell in heavy drops. I could hear it bouncing off the strong tiles which now gave me shelter. My uncle slept in the other bedroom, I’d invited him over so I could boast about all I had done. He was finally proud of me and sent for my father and brothers. It had been great seeing his face, surprised that I now had such wealth and a bride-to-be and I couldn’t wait to see my father’s too.

“Daichirou Ushida?” A voice called from the main door.

On wobbly legs, I climbed out of my futon and answered the door to a stern face. “Yes?”

“You are coming with me to answer your crimes.”

I blinked in a stupor. “What do you mean? I am not a criminal. What have I done?”

Looking at the man closer I spotted chains under his kimono and a jitte in his hand. The truncheon was only wood, but I’d seen the police use it effectively.

“I have been told that you have stolen from Sakazaki-san’s office and spending it all on luxuries. Days ago you were just a beggar at the temple and now you have a house.”

“I…” How did I explain where the money came from? “It was a gift,” I lied.

“We will investigate this,” he said, watching me carefully.

In the air I heard a familiar sound, of deep drumming. I stepped outside and faced towards the forest. Tanuki-bayashi. The same sound I’d heard days ago. It froze me in place and filled me with fear.

“Ushida-san?”

Looking down, I yelped as my kimono turned to bright red leaves and fell to the ground. What? Still the drumming filled the air along with a deep rumble. I turned to see my house shake and wobble.

Poof!

Instead of wood and tile, my house now changed to sticks and leaves, and fell over with an undignified thump.

“What is going on?” my uncle growled, standing up from a pile of leaves. “Daichirou what did you do?”

Tears pricked my eyes. All of my luxuries gone in an instant. “It was the tanuki,” I cried. “It was all the tanuki’s fault.”

0