Her Heartbreaking Loss
219 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Liliana didn't know how long she had been unconscious. When she finally came to, she realized that she was in a room of white. An unpleasant chemical smell lingered in the air.

"..."

Liliana blinked a few times. Even her eyelids felt heavy. Her body was practically drained of strength. It was hard to lift even her hand but no cry of pain spilled out of her lips.

In her grogginess, Liliana tried to take in her surroundings. Her mind was hazy as if a heavy mist had layered inside her brain. She couldn't smoothly recall why she ended up in this room.

What happened?

Didn't she just walk out of the baby clothes shop?

Why did... she get in hospital?

"Lili! You're awake!"

The familiar voice was registered in Liliana's brain. Forcing the words out of her mouth, she whispered hoarsely, "...Nancy? ...you there?"

Liliana stiffly turned her head, trying to see her friend Nancy Wu.

Nancy ran from the door. When she got closer, Liliana could see how sunken her expression was.

The long bangs framing her face dyed a chestnut brown was messy but the rest of her hair was in a high ponytail. Nancy was still in her work uniform.

"Thank God... Oh, thank God... I thought you won't wake up yet..."

Nancy's words were laced with both relief and anxiety. She reached out for Liliana's right hand. Her grasp was gentle as if she was afraid that even a touch could hurt her friend.

"You don't know how shocked I was... when someone called and said... you're in the hospital..."

Nancy's shaky voice instantly cleared the fog in Liliana's brain. She was reminded of what had really happened before.

Two men ran speedily on the pedestrian walk...

The first one was a snatch thief... He pushed her away...

Then...

Liliana unconsciously grabbed Nancy's arm. Her other hand clenched the fabric covering her stomach. With fear, she recalled the stinging pain that radiated from there.

"Nancy... I didn't... I didn't lose my child... right?"

The change in Nancy's already anguished expression was enough. She heard the sound of her already weary heart shattering into pieces.

No...

She already knew, but...

Liliana swallowed the urge to cry. A numbness spread in her mind, clashing with the ache that flared out to her entire body. Her grip on Nancy's arm grew firmer yet shakier.

Liliana slowly sat up, the blanket pooling around her waist.

"Nancy, I didn't..." Liliana choked on her sob, "...the baby is still there, right?"

Please... She didn't want it to be the truth...

Not when... not when she already loved the child...

Nancy pursed her lips, doing her best not to avert her gaze from Liliana's reddened eyes. Seeing Liliana's pleading state almost broke her resolve to look strong for her friend.

"...I'm sorry, Lili."

In the end, Nancy could only apologize before bringing Liliana into her arms. Her friend's skinny frame added to the heartache.

Liliana's anguished cries pierced the quietness of the room, striking deep into Nancy's heart. Silent tears slid down her cheeks as her heart echoed her friend's sorrow.

Nancy was reminded of the call that brought her to Liliana's side in the hospital.

A few hours ago, Nancy had just finished her shift at the restaurant she worked. She received a call from Liliana's number, but the voice at the end of the line was a man's.

"Who are you? Where's my friend?"

Nancy was horrified once the truth came out.

"Sorry, miss, I just called back the number on the logs... Your friend's in the hospital. She got pushed by a snatch thief and... she bled."

Nancy hastily headed to the hospital. She met the man who called her and retrieved Liliana's belongings.

The young man added before he left, "I saw a contact for your friend's husband but... he didn't answer."

Nancy restrained herself from cursing in front of the innocent man. She could only swallow her anger for now and focused on Liliana.

"Nancy... Nancy... where's Asher? Have you told him?"

Liliana's hopeful and pleading voice cut the memory short.

Flustered, Nancy loosened the embrace. Her stupefied look was reflected in Liliana's eyes.

"I have... called him, but... Lili, maybe he's busy. His assistant didn't answer me too. I'll try again later, eh? Now, let me call the doctor for you."

If this was the other times, Nancy wouldn't spare any words in cursing Asher. She really loathed the man who Liliana married.

But, Liliana was too fragile right now. Nancy didn't want to add to her friend's sorrow.

"No... give me my phone! Nancy, where's my phone? I need to call him!"

Liliana frantically grabbed both of Nancy's upper arms. She could care less about her family that never saw her as their equal but... Asher was an exception.

"Nancy, where's my phone?"

Liliana darted her eyes around the bedside table, trying to look for the phone. Nancy quickly stopped her from moving recklessly.

"Lili, right now..."

"Give me my phone!"

Liliana's agitated shout intensified Nancy's concern. Sensing no other choice, she reluctantly handed the phone to her friend.

Still sitting on the hospital bed, Liliana quickly called Asher's number. With every unanswered ringing, her mood grew more erratic.

"...please, answer.... please, please..."

Liliana desperately hoped that this would be one of the rare times when Asher answered her call.

In the end, her prayer came true.

"Why call so many times? I'm in a meeting."

Liliana burst into tears. Asher's clearly irritated voice clawed deeper into her already despaired heart.

"Asher... I'm in the hospital... I... I lost our baby..."

The truth hurt more than the physical pain but Liliana forced the words out of her mouth. More tears ran down her face, dripping on her hospital gown.

Asher was quiet. Liliana could barely hear his breathing.

After what seemed like a long period of silence, he finally responded.

"I'll send my assistant there. Tell him if you need anything. I'll hang up now."

Liliana's eyes widened.

"Wait! Asher! Please..."

Tut!

Liliana's pleas were cut short. Asher ended the call without even asking how she felt.

It was as if a bucket of cold water had been splashed on her. The phone slipped out of her hand, falling on the mattress with a thud.

"Lili..."

Nancy reached out for her friend's shoulders, feeling how much Liliana trembled. She had already pictured this outcome but her heart still went out to her friend.

"...I need to go to him," Liliana's shaky whisper echoed faintly "...have to see him..."

"Lili, please..." Nancy shook her head, "Don't... He doesn't care... Asher, he..."

"I have to go to him."

Liliana filtered out the unpleasant truth coming from Nancy. Her gaze was hollow as she tried to move down from the hospital bed.

"Lili! You can't!" Nancy rushed to hold Liliana back, "Stay... you've to stay here!"

"I have to see him! Have to go... I need to see him!"

Liliana pushed Nancy with all her might. Her legs gave away the moment she stepped on the cold tiles. The pain in her lower abdomen was spiked.

Nancy quickly caught Liliana from falling before both of them inadvertently sank to the floor. More tears gushed out of Nancy's eyes, pitying her friend.

"Please, Lili... don't do this to yourself... please..."

Liliana bit her lips. Strands of her long hair were plastered to her teary face. Her faint sobs eventually became loud, heartwrenching cries.

Even right now... she was not in her husband's eyes.

0