Chapter 45 – Final Festival Preparation #2
159 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 45 – Final Festival Preparation #2

[Oh the stars I actually did it……..] Eva took control once Syrus left the house and found a quiet corner, and she immediately collapsed to the ground.

[Congrats you were able to get everything you wanted across!] Luna celebrated her success.

[Take a break, you’ve earned it.] (Syrus)

Syrus found the corner for Eva, it was near the forest and no one was around nearby. Everyone was either in the centre of the village or at the farms. Their room was also a private spot but Syrus felt being outside would be better for Eva.

It was a pile of wooden scraps next to a tree but it was perfect for Eva.

She had her eyes closed and simply breathed in and out.

Eva felt good.

Syrus and Luna stayed quiet for a long while, letting Eva have a moment for herself.

[Was it alright to tell them about Manipulation?] Luna asked, it was an obvious question to ask since Eva’s massive hesitation about it.

[Yes, I’ve finally reached the end… my mana control feels good.] Eva smiled and began to tear up, in truth she was keeping the recent progress of her attribute splitting a secret. 

Syrus and Luna could feel her attempting it but they couldn’t watch the progress–without taking additional steps–unfold so they had no idea how much progress she made. If they wanted to, they could expand the effort to examine Eva’s mana when she was in control but neither wanted to interrupt her without permission.

[That’s great.] A small soft smile appeared on Anna’s face as Syrus congratulated Eva.

[Seconded.] (Luna)

Eva blushed for a moment, embarrassed by the praise and congratulations.

[Do you have any idea now what your second attribute is?] (Syrus)

[Honestly… no idea.] Eva shook her head confused. [I hoped figuring out some sort of inkling of what it is would make the splitting process easier, but no matter what I did I couldn’t get a good feel for it.]

[Weird, I can’t really comment too much, but from what I know, you should have some idea of it, kind of like an instinctual thing; even without learning the name, some of the properties should be known.] Syrus was referring to the knowledge gained from her own acquaintances on the matter, but it still didn’t change the fact that she mostly knew nothing.

[I will just have to wait and see…] (Eva)

[Don’t rush it; collapsing at the end is never fun.] (Luna)

[Sentiment has been understood.] (Eva)

More time passed, and after Eva partially recovered herself.

[...Do you think our parents are okay?] (Eva)

[Yeah, Jen will already be planning her next move.] Syrus was confident in her guess.

[...] (Luna)

[Luna?] (Syrus)

[I… think we should go back now.]

[I do think you’re right, Syrus, but at the same time… Jen and George are realistically hating themselves right now…] Luna didn’t think about it initially–which she was now regretting–as she only focused on Lilly and not their parents' reactions. Jen and George were both emotional and observant people, and the hurt that Eva was feeling during the talk was definitely noticed by both.

[...] (Syrus)

[She’s right…] Eva stood up. This was her mess, so she was determined to finish what she started this time.

[Understood, I’ll get us back in a second.] Syrus took control, clapped her hands together, [We will do this together!] and sprinted home.


Minutes earlier, towards the end of Anna’s talk with Jen and George.

“Yes that is everything…” The tension in Eva’s body was finally released as the massive burden was taken off her chest.

Jen was shocked in more ways than one, but she asked, “Is there anything else?”

Eva began to fidget, “Well… there is one good thing… I think?” 

George asked, “What is it?”

“I think we are awakening another attribute? That’s what it kind of feels like, I don’t remember well how the first one felt.”

Jen’s eyes dazzled for a moment, “What is it?!” 

She decided to calm the air by overplaying the excitement, hoping that would remove the tension in the air.

“If I had to choose, I’d say manipulation… my mana control has started to increase… it's been fun…” Eva smiled a wide childish genuine smile.

Jen dove in for a hug, “I’m so happy you're happy.”

The hug dispersed a few moments later.

Luna spoke up, “We are going to leave.”

Jen asked, “Everything okay?”

“Yes, it's just that Eva needs some space to breathe… this took a lot out of her.”

Jen and George nodded, it was clear to see as they talked that the topic was hard for Eva.

“All good, but be back before it gets dark.”

Syrus chimed in, “All good, as long as dinner is prepared.” 

The family had a chuckle but Syrus quickly left to find a quiet place for Eva.

After Anlesa was gone for a minute.

“What the fuck…” George let out a long exhausted sigh.

Jen wanted to do the same, but she was a little overwhelmed.

What Anna told them… what Eva discovered was certainly enough to shake her.

She knew her kids were a bit mature for their age, but they were still very childish. 

Syrus was responsible but as well the wildest–wanting to play with the other children and fire when she had free time.

Luna was very intelligent and able to speak to anyone but had difficulties forming meaningful bonds outside her family. Still, she loved to read and spend time with the family.

Finally, Eva was the most childlike. She was shy and hid behind her sisters, but she loved to read and was filled with an instinctual curiosity and wonder about everything. 

“I think I finally understood what my parents and elders used to say, ‘too much curiosity can be bad for you…’” Jen lamented a lesson she never really understood.

George, in a failing attempt to cheer up the mood, said, “Well, looks like she was the one to inherit your curiosity to the max.”

“I was proud of that… but I didn’t know it would hurt this much.” 

Jen always loved to learn and study, but it would be a lie to say she had kept that passion up all these years.

She became busy with work and starting a family, so gave up her curiosity and focused her spare time on novels. She always loved reading fiction and non-fiction, but the former was much easier to consume, so she focused on that.

“I am proud of what she did… she is so smart.” Jen began to tear up. She was happy Anna wasn’t here right now, otherwise her currently barely existing control of herself might shatter.

She fell to the ground, and George caught her. George was holding back his tears for the sake of his wife, but they softly leaked out as he held her tight.

Jen muttered, “She went through so much… while I didn’t care…”

George pulled her closer to him, cradling her head, “Don’t lie to yourself, Jen, you always cared.”

“No, no… I saw her write, chart, and all that, and I just smiled happy she was having fun! If I asked… once, if I only asked once they wouldn’t have to have felt so burdened.”

Within a moment in her own mind, Jen went from a decent parent to a horrible one. 

“Jen, you did nothing wrong.”

“But I…!”

George interrupted her, “I know you are lost within your own thoughts right now, but you did everything right, you provided her what she needed–love, material, and support. And the first person alive that would tell you that is Anna, then me in an extremely close second, or is it fourth?”

The tears stopped for a moment, “Trying to make me laugh in this situation…?”

“I mean, you would do the same?” George smiled.

A messy, teary smile appeared on Jen’s face as she closed her eyes and caressed his hand on her. “You bloody goof.”

“Well, I’m your bloody goof.”

Jen’s hand interlocked with his, “That you are, and my fourth favourite person.”

“Not even zeroth?” George asked.

“That’s Anlesa, then the three bounce around positions one through three claiming all spots, so you can’t go there either.”

“Wow, should I feel heartbroken?”

“No–” Jen tapped her heart “–cause you’re first for fifty percent of my heart.”

“I’m fine with that.” George warmly cuddled Jen.

It took a few minutes for everything to calm down, but when it did, George asked, “What are we supposed to do with that information?”

“...I have a plan.” A determined glint flashed in her eyes. “I’ll go to village two, I know their chief and I know for certain they also keep a record. I will cross-reference that myself, and I will also make plans with the chief to add extra security.”

“How will the chief and you be able to do that?”

“...There isn’t much we can do in the short term… or even the long term, but there are some things we can do to at least keep the kids safer.”

“That’s the best we can hope for.” Jen and George stayed locked in their positions for a while longer.

Suddenly, their door slammed open. “What are you two idiots doing!?” 

A ball of emotion rocketed towards them. 

Before Jen or George could even react, the living ball crashed into them, breaking them apart, only for two hands to bring the three together.

“...We are here now… don’t cry.” Eva pulled

“Exactly,” Luna added.

“What demanding children, who raised you?” Jen only sobbed more as she pulled Anna and George closer. 

They all slept in the same bed that night.

Well, that happened.

This chapter ended up focusing more on Jen rather than George. I did give him some moments, but Jen relates to Anna (Luna and especially Eva) more due to personality similarities--which was something I wanted to explore in this chapter. But I am happy with the moments George got.

Also poll, if you have a suggestion outside the options, as mentioned please feel free to comment it.

Chapter Schedule
  • 1 chapter a week Votes: 8 57.1%
  • 2 chapters around the same time each fortnight Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Unsure Votes: 3 21.4%
Total voters: 14
15