Chapter 1
163 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's bright. My eyes shut reflexively, unable to endure the searing glare. I'm absolutely exhausted, like I've just ran a marathon after scaling a mountain I had to reach by swimming across the Atlantic. My head's spinning and I've got a strong urge to vomit, which isn't helped by the nauseating smell of ozone that permeates the air all around me.

"By Sunder—sire, look!" I make out a wizened sounding voice through the fog in my brain.

He's answered by a stern rumble, and it takes me a second to realize that's someone's voice and not the sound of the earth quaking. "...Complications in the..." Is about all I can catch in my beleaguered state.

A heated discussion breaks out between them judging from the rhythm of their voices, but I'm too tired and out of sorts to care enough to pay any attention to it. Eventually there's a lull in the conversation, and just when I'm about to drift off to blissful slumber a powerful surge of energy courses through my body. I bolt upright on staggered feet, shielding my eyes from the world of light that surrounds me.

"W-who's there!?" My voice comes out rough and ragged as I stumble about blind. "Where am I?!"

"Ah! Please, stay where you are!" The aged voice responds, his tone petulant. "You're liable to injure yourself if you move out too far!"

"Don't tell me what I can—AARGH!!" My arm brushes up against something scalding hot and I jump back screaming. "WHAT IS THIS!?"

"You're currently being contained by the summoning veil," the same voice hastily explains, "it's merely a temporary measure for your protection!"

"Oh, obviously!" I snarl as I nurse my burnt elbow. "Who the hell are you and what the hell is a 'summoning veil'!?"

"Ulgen, for goodness sake, lower the opacity!" The deep voice orders, clearly irritated. There's a sound like steam whistling from a kettle and soon the blinding light begins to dim, revealing two dark figures standing in an unfamiliar chamber not unlike some medieval castle keep. The larger of the two approaches, his regal bearing evident as he steps closer into the light. "Hello. I... don't suppose you recognize me?"

I have to crane my neck up to meet his gaze. The man's huge—easily close to seven feet tall if not taller—and has a build to match. The elaborate surcoat and mantle he's wearing seem almost unable to contain him all. In contrast, the expression on his rugged face is gentle, almost remorseful. A hint of a smile tugs on his lips as he speaks to me that doesn't quite reach his somber blue eyes. The man's sheer presence is so overwhelming that it actually takes me a moment to think of what I want to say to him. 

Only a moment though.

"No, not in the slightest. What do you want from me and why am I here?"

The man shakes his head solemnly at my remark and turns to address the figure further in the back, "Ulgen, is there any possibility for memory reclamation at this stage?"

"We could consult the academy's mentalism department for that if you'd like, sire."

"No," the man sighs heavily, "Too likely to implant delusions and peddle them authentic. We can't risk it."

"I'm sorry, who's the "we" in this equation?" I interject, unnerved by the topic of 'delusions'. "Why haven't you answered my questions? Who are you people and what the hell do you have planned for me?!"

"I am King Julian Bartholomew Alaric, ruler of this land Alyndeus." The man says as he turns back to me and pauses, perhaps hoping to see if those words hold any meaning to me at all. They don't, which he seems to catch on as he continues, "first and foremost, let me assure you we have absolutely no intention of harming you in any way, shape, or form."

"So you say." I reply, scratching at the blister forming on my arm.

"Yes, which is why I must extend my heartfelt apologies for the impromptu summoning. Believe me, if we had the means to contact you before doing so, we most certainly would have."

"Okay, but why?" I ask, looking him dead in the eyes. "Why did you bring me here, and why do you keep dodging that question?"

The king sucks in breath through his teeth before clearing his throat loudly and deliberately. "The reason you were summoned here is because you are my... my long-lost..."

"Daughter!" The voice in the back—Ulgen, I think—finishes for him, sounding pleased to assist.

"...Your long-lost what?" I repeat, genuinely unsure if I heard him correctly.

"Child. My long-lost child is what he means." The king hurriedly replies before fixing Ulgen with a death stare.

"No, he said something different, he used the word 'daughter', didn't he?"

"That I did!" Ulgen responds, sounding delighted to finally join in the conversation. "You, sir, are in fact King Julian's long-lost daughter! It is so good to finally welcome you back home, Your Highness!"

I'm at an utter loss for words as the king just stares at me expectantly, the expression on his face making it clear this isn't some sort of joke or trick they're playing on me. Finally, I crack. "That’s completely absurd!" I glance down at my feet and notice the intricate geometric patterns and shapes swirling on the raised platform I'm standing on. "For the record, I can totally buy being transported to this—what was it called?—Amadeus?"

"Alyndeus..."

"Whatever! This 'magical realm' of yours. But saying I'm your child—your DAUGHTER!? Newsflash, your majesty, but I'm a GUY!!!" I lift up my t-shirt for them to really drive the point home.

"Ah, perhaps not for long!" Ulgen interjects.

"H-huh?" I turn to the figure in the back as he approaches, the light emanating from the summoning circle revealing him to be a slick-bald old man dressed in 'wizard-classic' robes sporting a silver beard long enough to brush against the floor as he walks towards me.

"It's quite simple, really," he smiles, making his wrinkled face appear sinister in the harsh light, "The realm you were lost in changed you into a man; it only follows that since you've returned—"

"Oh my god," I interrupt him, fear seizing me as I finally catch on to what they're planning, "you're going to TURN ME INTO A WOMAN?!"

"We will do no such thing." The king rebuts. "Ulgen, what in all creation are you suggesting?"

"I'm not 'suggesting' anything, sire!" Ulgen protests with a trace of indignance, "I'm simply recounting the effects inter-planar travel will have on her, er... HIS Highness's body!"

"What are you talking about?" I ask frantically, my fear now verging on panic. "Are you saying that just by being here I'll change into a girl?!"

"Yes! Would you like me to explain in detail how that—"

"TAKE ME BACK TO EARTH! NOW!!"

"I'm afraid that isn't possible." The king replies gravely.

"Why not?! You guys zapped me here in the first place, right?? So just send me back!!"

"It pains me to admit, but we simply do not have the resources available to attempt another inter-planar transport without putting you in tremendous peril."

"What do you mean by 'tremendous peril'?"

"Complete severance of the soul from the body, possession by interstitial spirits, unintended transportation to one of the countless eternal torture realms, xenovessel entanglement—" Ulgen rattles off unprompted.

"Uh..." I suddenly find myself at a loss for words.

"Ulgen, please." The king sighs.

"Apologies, sire!" Ulgen chuckles before turning back to me, "it's just so rare that I get a chance to study the effects inter-planar travel has on the human body; I can't help but be excited!"

I can only moan in response to the crazed man's enthusiasm, "so how long have I got? I'm not feeling particularly female yet, does it take a few hours to 'kick in'?"

"Once you step out from the summoning circle, your body will undergo a rapid transformation. I'm told it’s all very quick and painless!" Ulgen says, trying and failing to sound reassuring.

I blanch as he describes my imminent fate but recover a little as an idea forms in my mind.

"H-hey, you're a wizard, right?" I ask him, a bead of sweat trickling down my brow.

"I'm Duke Ulgen Hieronymus III. Archmagister and Chief Advisor to His Majesty King Julian, Your Highness." Ulgen gives a measured little bow as he declares his full title to me with no small amount of pride.

"Okay, but you can use magic, right?"

"Y-yes, I'm capable of 'using' magic, as it were."

"Then you've got to help me! I mean, surely you have, like, a spell or potion or something you can use to stop this, haven't you!?" I beg him.

"Well, I..." Ulgen scratches his bald head, looking a bit too unsure for my liking.

"Oh, come on! There's got to be something you can do! You summoned me from another plane of existence and you're telling me you can't stop a bodily transformation?!"

"I could, it just wouldn't be permanent," he says with a shrug," any kind of sustained sorcery would require a continual amount of spiritus to uphold."

"So what you're saying is I'm completely screwed..." I groan as my shoulders slump.

"Hmm..." Ulgen looks down in thought as his hand idly strokes his long beard. "Well, there is the option of using an enchantment of Disguisery, but it would require a bit of unorthodox—"

"Just do it!" I plead.

"Certainly, Your Highness!" Ulgen replies as he wanders out of sight from the circle. "Just give me a few moments to prepare the necessary components."

'God, I hope this works...' I think to myself ruefully. I sigh and glance back at the king who's currently staring off into space with a rather intense look on his face. "I don't suppose you can offer me any help with this, can you?" I ask pointedly.

"I'm afraid I can only again offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences I've caused you," he says, shaking his head sadly as he steps out of the circle's light, "and for the fact that I'm forced now to take my leave. Ulgen, I trust you'll provide her—" he coughs loudly before continuing, "him with everything he'll need?"

"But of course, sire."

"Good." I hear the sound of a large pair of doors opening as more light is let into the room. Just as he's about to leave, I see the king's head turn back to address me. "I'm certain my feelings are one-sided on the matter, but, nonetheless, I'm very happy to finally be able to..." He pauses for a moment, like he's searching for the right words to say. "...Meet you."

"Oh..." I scratch the back of my head, not really sure how to respond to that, "uh... likewise, I guess?" I blurt out without really thinking. He just nods in response before heading out the doorway.

"Please forgive us, Your Highness. We prepared ourselves to expect all manner of oddities in your retrieval, but, even so, your appearance has still proven to be quite the shock!" Ulgen laughs.

"Yeah..." That expression on the king's face before he left, I'm not sure how to describe it. Sorrow, relief, anger? None of those quite fit.

"Oh, I should mention your enchantment's coming along quite nicely, Your Highness!" Ulgen announces cheerfully, breaking my train of thought. 'Your Highness,' he keeps calling me. That's right, I hadn't really had the time to process it until now, but I guess I'm technically royalty in this world, aren't I?

"Hey, Ulgen."

"Hm? What is it, Your Highness?"

"Am I, like, a prince here or something?"

"Third in line for the throne, in fact!" Ulgen returns to the circle, smiling as he holds out a simple bronze ring in his hand. "Here we are! Hold your hand out for me now if you would."

I hesitantly offer my hand and Ulgen slides the ring down my finger. "And you're positive this will work?" I'm compelled to ask him, still wary after how enthusiastic he was earlier about my impending transformation.

"Oh yes, absolutely! I give you my word on this, Your Highness." He replies with a broad grin. He then grabs my wrist and forcefully pulls me out of the barrier of light.

"Whoa, hey!" I shout, a strange chill passing through my body as I cross over into the room proper. "Don't just—"

I'm unable to finish that statement as I'm forced to take in my surroundings. The two of us stand in a truly grandiose hall, its walls and floor composed entirely of black marble lending it a quietly oppressive air. The large statue of a classical western dragon serving as the room's centerpiece does nothing to assuage the sense of foreboding.

"This really is a king's palace, isn't it?" I whisper to myself.

"This is the southern wing, ol' Serpentis." Ulgen wrinkles his nose at the statue of the dragon, "Never much liked it here, too gloomy for my tastes." He turns and leads the both of us through the doorway opposite the king's exit and down a corridor furnished with numerous paintings depicting various scenes of battle and bloodshed.

"Like I said, gloomy!" He chuckles, watching me with amusement as my eyes rove over some of the more macabre pieces. "But well secluded. You won't get much in the way of visitors here, which is just as well considering how exhausted you must be."

"You know, now that you mention it..." I try and fail to stifle a yawn. That strange burst of energy I felt at the beginning of all this was starting to fade, exhaustion now steadily weighing me down with every step I take.

Ulgen takes notice and slows his pace down for me. "Inter-planar travel is quite the excursion! I'm impressed by how vivacious you've been thus far."

"Well, it's hard to feel too relaxed about things when you've been abruptly torn away from the only place you've ever called home." I retort, rubbing the sleep from my eyes as Ulgen laughs awkwardly in response.

"Y-yes, well... Ah! Here we are!" The two of us stop beside a sturdy but otherwise nondescript door. "Your temporary quarters, Your Highness." Ulgen produces a key from his robe and unlocks it. Inside lies a large, stately room; the immediate point of interest being the king-sized bed and its mountain of pillows.

"I suggest you get yourself a good night's sleep. No doubt tomorrow promises to be a busy day!" Ulgen says as he hands me the room's key.

"Yeah, can't really argue there." I reply as I pocket it. "Thanks for the help, Ulgen."

"Think nothing of it, Your Highness." Ulgen smiles as he makes his way to the door.

"Oh hey, you know I just realized," I stop him just as he's about to close the door, "I never actually told you guys my name."

"Ah! That's true! I suppose in all the excitement..." He trails off with a bit of laughter.

"It's Riley. My name's Riley."

Ulgen blinks a few times, the smile on his face looking a little forced, before he clears his throat and grins a wide, pearly grin, "Prince Riley! My, that's got quite the ring to it, doesn't it? Very regal, very dashing I should say!"

"Eh..." I roll my eyes at him, feeling a bit flustered by his excessive praise. "Anyways, I figured you guys should at least know my name if I'm staying here for the time being."

"Well, it's a pleasure to be formally introduced! Now then, I'm certain you'd quite like to get some rest, so I'll go ahead and take my leave." He heads for the door once more before immediately turning back around, "Oh! One last thing! Here, takes this please." He hands me a small, purple emblem depicting a dragon holding a ruby in its mouth.

"Um, thank you?"

"If you need anything, just press gently on the gem for a few moments and one of the servants will swiftly come to attend you." Ulgen explains.

"Oh, I see. Thanks." I say as I tuck the emblem away with the key, grateful this world at least has a concept of room service.

"You're very welcome, Prince Riley." Ulgen bows before finally taking his leave, gently closing the door behind him as he goes.

I immediately plop onto the bed and hurry under the covers, not even bothering to take off my clothes. I have countless questions rattling around inside my skull, and while ordinarily I'd feel uneasy sleeping in a bed that's not my own, right now I'm simply too tired to be bothered with it all. Sleep takes me the moment my head touches the pillow.

---

I wake up late into the night feeling like my bladder's about to burst. I throw off the covers and have to wait for my eyes to adjust as I fumble around in the darkness. "I was hoping that light show from before meant they had something approaching modern amenities..." I mutter as I try and fail to find a light switch in the dark. The only thing I can manage to find is the door to an empty closet, which means I'll have to search for a bathroom out in that creepy hall.

'I knew I forgot to ask Ulgen something...' I groan inwardly as I head out the doorway. Outside, the corridor is nearly pitch black; only moonlight peeking in from the odd window offers any hint of visibility. "Nice, now this place is even creepier..." I murmur as I stumble my way down the hall searching in vain for any kind of indication or sign pointing to a proper restroom. My unfamiliarity with the surroundings, coupled with the darkness intensifying the morbid decor, has my teeth grinding with every step I take. I round a corner and immediately come face to face with a snarling demon, ruby-red eyes gleaming with malevolence.

"EEYAAAGHH!!" I let loose an uncharacteristically high-pitched scream and nearly topple over backwards, only for someone to catch me just as I'm about to hit the ground.

"Did he getcha?" A soft voice teases my ear.

"H-huh?" I tilt my head back and see a young woman's face grinning at me upside down.

"Don't worry! I'll get him back for you." She giggles and gently raps a hand against the 'demon', which turns out to be just another statue of a dragon. "See? He's petrified."

"Y-yeah, you sure showed him!" I force my own smile, trying hard to save face. "It just, uh, caught me off guard a little."

"I'm just glad I was able to get here in time!" She laughs again as she pulls me up from the floor and hands me a little wick lantern. "I'm Tessa!"

"Riley." I answer, better able to get a look at ‘Tessa’ in the candlelight. There's no denying she's quite pretty, with her bright smile and amber eyes that sparkle roguishly in the light complemented by a glossy mop of black hair tied up in a large white bow. Her build is on the slender side, so much so I'm impressed how easily she was able to lift me up off the ground just now. Looking further down, I can't help but notice there’s a scabbard strapped to her waist.

"Something catch your eye?" She remarks with a wry look on her face.

"Oh! Well, it's just—that's a nice sword you've got." I say a little guiltily, even though I'm not really lying.

"You like it?" She unties it from her belt excitedly and holds it up to give me a better look. "I call it The Drake's Scar! She's a little piece I had commissioned that's tailor-made for indoor combat." She unsheathes the sword with glee and lovingly strokes its edge. "I haven't had the chance to really test her out just yet, but I do love the way she sings when drawn!"

"I...see." I reply, a little unnerved how affectionate she is with a weapon.

"Anyways," she sheathes the sword and ties it back to her waist in a flash, "what's got you bumbling around in the dark? Looking for the washroom?"

"You caught me." Her words immediately reminding me how full my bladder's become.

"Sir Ulgen didn't show you where it was? I swear that man's memory..." She sighs before suddenly grabbing my arm and pulling me along with an unsettling amount of force. "Worry not, Prince Riley! This humble swordswoman shall guide you to your porcelain throne!"

"W-wait, hold on! Not so fast!"

---

Once done relieving myself—immensely grateful indoor plumbing is not a concept foreign to this world, I head over to the sink to wash my hands when I notice something off with my reflection in the vanity mirror.

"...The hell?"

I pull the lantern a little closer to where I'm standing thinking it must be a trick of the light, but nothe heavy stubble I've had since high school has almost completely vanished; nothing but a few pale whiskers remain.

"Did I get hit by some kind of 'shaving' spell when I came in here or something?" I ask my reflection, stunned at how smooth my skin feels as my fingers trace the contour of my jaw, like there was never hair there to begin with. I catch a glint of something in the mirror as I do this, and I look down to see the bronze ring on my finger shining softly in the candlelight.

'...No way. It's got to be something about the bathroom, I mean nothing else about me has changed, right?' I bring the lantern right up to my face and scrutinize each and every detail, even taking off my clothes to see if there’s any differences with my body. Everything looks in order, as best I can tell.

"Whatever," I yawn as I put my clothes back on. 'Need to get some sleep if I'm gonna deal with whatever crap they're bound to throw at me tomorrow.' I step back out into the hallway and notice Tessa's nowhere to be found. A shame, I was hoping she might guide me to her bedroom next. I chuckle at that thought as I make my way back to my room.

---

Morning comes with the sound of someone gently knocking on my door.

"Prince Riley? Sir, are you awake?" An elderly voice calls out.

I may have been kidnapped and now currently held captive in this crazy place, but damn if the accommodations aren't cozy at the very least. I let him knock a few more times before I'm ready to crawl out from under the covers.

"I'm awake, just... gimme a minute." I respond.

"Certainly, sir."

I comb my hands through my tangled hair and try to smooth out all the wrinkles in my clothes, but I recognize an uphill battle when I see one and decide to just go ahead and open the door. A stooped old man, aged enough to make Ulgen look spry, bows his head down even further to greet me.

"Good morning to you, sir. His Majesty requests an audience with you over breakfast."

"Oh." I look down at my stretched t-shirt and ragged jeans. "I'm guessing I'm a bit under dressed for this, aren't I?"

The old man smiles as he unfurls a spool of sewing tape. "If you'll follow me, sir."

---

I sit on the edge of my seat right outside the grandiose doors to the royal dining hall, my foot bouncing up and down in time with the drumming of my heart as I fiddle with the buttons of my freshly tailored waistcoat.

"They told me I was late for this, so why haven't they finished making the food yet?" I groan as my stomach aches, anxiety mingling with hunger to further darken my mood. Had I known it was going to take this much time I would've slept in for a while longer. I sigh as my eyes roam over to the only sight of interest in the room, a sculpture of an angelic woman garbed in skin-tight robes holding a vase from which she pours a stream of water until it flows over the edge of the pedestal she's standing on into a large basin where a number of fish swim about. 'I'll take it over that creepy dragon bust.' I decide, frowning as I remember last night's unfortunate encounter.

A few more minutes pass by in nerve-wracking silence before finally the heavy bronze doors creak open and out pops a servant's head. "A thousand apologies for the wait, Prince Riley! His Majesty was uncertain what would be most suitable for Your Highness's palate, so additional dishes were prepared last moment."

"It's fine, tell him he shouldn't fuss so much." I reply as he holds the door open for me.

The dining room's trappings are about as opulent as I’d expected, but it's surprisingly smaller in size than the imposing doorway implied. A long refectory table serves as its centerpiece, while a crystalline chandelier lit with what I can only describe as magical wisps of light bathe the room in otherworldly hues. 'So they do have lighting here! Why not in the hallways though?' My mind wonders as I'm directed to a seat at the far end of the table opposite the king and three others I don't recognize.

"Ah, Riley! I'm pleased you decided to join us this morning!" King Julian greets me heartily as I'm seated. "Let me apologize for my abrupt leave yesterday evening; there was an urgent matter that unfortunately required my full attention. Tell me, did you sleep well? We can certainly prepare a room better suited to your tastes if you'd like." He smiles as a servant places down a silver platter piled high with all manner of meats, fruits, and sweets in the center of the table.

"No, don't worry about it, I slept well enough." I reach forward for a bit of what looks to be brisket only for a servant to suddenly jump up and pile a generous helping of food on my plate, eliciting a snicker from the small girl sitting on the king's right. King Julian gives her a stern look and she quickly glances off to the side, surreptitiously sipping on her cup of tea.

The king shakes his head irritably before turning back to me with a strained grin, "I suppose introductions are in order; this is Anastasia, my youngest."

"It's nice to meet you, Anastasia." I give her my best attempt at a cordial smile. She seems like a potential headache, but I have to admit she's cute with those curly blonde twin-tails and impish green eyes of hers. Pity she's technically my sister.

"Likewise, 'Prince' Riley." She replies with a smirk, enunciating the word "Prince" a bit snottier than I'd like.

The king loudly clears his throat and waves his hand over to his left where a severe looking man wearing a neat pair of spectacles is seated, "next we have the oldest, Gregor."

"A pleasure to meet you." Gregor states coolly, like it's anything but.

"Oh, the pleasure's all mine." I reply in turn, unable to fully mask the irritation seeping into my voice.

A long, awkward silence hangs in the air before King Julian continues, "right then, finally there's—"

"This is RIDICULOUS!" The red-haired man seated closest to me suddenly shouts, rattling all the silverware as he jumps up from his seat. "You're supposed to be Astraea? HOW!? Because of that bleeding crystal?! Utter nonsense! I refuse to be a part of this absurd charade a MOMENT LONGER!!"

"Tybalt..." King Julian’s voice takes on a warning tone.

"Father this is—"

"Hey, you know what, Tybalt? You're a hundred percent right! I'm not Astraea—whoever the hell that is—my name's RIIILEEEY!!" I draw both syllables out nice and long for him as I meet his fierce, blue eyes with daggers in my own. "Got it?"

"The only thing I've 'got' is the dire need to show some outworld wretch how the underside of my boot tastes!"

"That's enough Tybalt!" King Julian intercedes. "You will not treat my—"

"Your what? Your son?" Tybalt scoffs, "unless I've miscounted, you have only two of those, so if this little offcomer thinks to weasel his way into our family under the guise of an estranged sibling then—"

"I was taken here against my will, you ASSHOLE!" I rise from my seat as well, causing much of the silverware to clatter along the floor as I turn and rush to the exit. "Like I'd even want to be a part of this family in the FIRST place!!" I scream at them all as I leave, slamming the heavy doors behind me.

---

"Damn it, damn it, god-DAMN IT!" I curse under my breath as I race my way back to my room, keeping an arm up to hide my face from any curious onlookers as hot tears roll down my cheeks. "I can't believe they actually got to me like this... I haven't cried since I was just—AH!" My foot suddenly slips out of its dress shoe and I find myself hurtling to the ground head first. Just as I'm beginning to brace myself for a face-plant, I'm caught mid-fall by a familiar pair of arms.

"Easy..." Tessa whispers as she gently pulls me back to my feet. "You're not hurt are you?"

"NO!" I shout, causing her eyes to widen a little. Mortified I've been caught in a compromising situation for a second time by this girl, I'm forced to look away, too embarrassed to meet her gaze. "I-I meant I'm fine..." I mumble sheepishly. "...Thanks for the save."

"No problem." She bends down and picks up my dropped shoe. "This might be though, looks like you need something that fits you better."

"Weird..." I shift my foot a little, finding my remaining shoe feeling roomier than it was just a moment ago. In fact, now that I'm paying attention, my entire ensemble seems to be hanging a bit looser on me. "I just had these tailored..."

"Well, looks like we found the real problem here: your cobbler!" Tessa laughs as she hands me my lost shoe.

"No, I mean, everything fit me perfectly this morning," I reply, rolling my sleeves back before they overtake my hands.

"Hmm..." Tessa stares at me intently. "Now that you mention it, it does seem like we're a bit closer in height now."

"How?! That's—" I catch sight of my ring glinting ever so slightly as I finish adjusting my sleeves.

"That bastard..." I growl under my breath.

"Hm? What's wrong, Prince?" Tessa asks as she tilts her head, a concerned look on her face.

"Tessa, can you tell me where Ulgen is?"

"Sir Ulgen? Probably in his study at this hour. Need me to take you to him?"

"Please." I say through clenched teeth.

4