The Truth I
49 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Boy, woman and ghost arrived two blocks down the street, Manhunt Workplaces. A building belonging to the same corporation that owned the Manhunt Buffet led by Sophia's father, Leon Jones.

Beatrice merely stood nearby, paying attention to Andrew's every action, unaware that a ghost weighed on her shoulders relentlessly.

'This used to be my workplace, the code is 5532'.

Andrew introduced the code as she said and much to Beatrice's surprise, the doors opened... she had expected him to call someone downstairs to let them in instead of this method. It showed familiarity.

"How do you know what the code is?" Once inside the beauty started her questioning while Andrew followed Sophia's indications. The building was luxurious and humongous, the ground floor had a reception in which no one was sitting at the moment.

"My friend told me" Andrew answered her question.

"Who is this friend?"

"Why are you so curious?" He threw a sidelong glance and a question that made her stop in her tracks and pull Andrew's wrists.

"Andrew what did I do to you? You have been quite hostile to me today... I thought we were friends? If I did something tell me and I will apologise!".

"Why are you being so insistent? It is not the case, but what if I told you I have been cold to you deliberately?"

"Then I will really get upset, Andrew... quite angry".

'This is not the right time for a lover's quarrel...' Sophia crossed her arms, irritated for reasons she didn't acknowledge.

Both Beatrice and Andrew glared at one another, it seemed that his anger had been transferred to her, but instead of retreating from whence she came, Beatrice kept tailing him like a loyal guardian dog.

"Listen now is not the time, we can talk about it once the shift ends, let me do this quickly just so we can go back before break finishes, alright?"

"This is not something illegal is it?" The beauty questioned and pulled him again before he could enter the door Sophia indicated him to go through.

"Of course not! who do you think I am?!"

"..." After a brief glare, Beatrice receded and they entered the stairs towards the net floor. On their way through there were several women dressed in black, all of them glanced at Andrew and Beatrice inquisitively.

it could be due to their McRonards uniforms or their foreign appearances, but they felt extremely out of place.

"Sorry, who are you and how did you get here? it is my first time seeing you here" One of the ladies, a beautiful blonde with a pitch black stood up in front of them, blocking their path.

'Her name is Claude, tell her that you are my school junior from Horace and you came here to retrieve something from my office, you know the password as well'.

After giving her a brief explanation, Andrew ended up having to reveal Sophia's name in front of Beatrice, which did produce a small glitch in her eyes but nothing else.

"Is that so? it was such a tragedy... we're still mourning her, she took care of the offices, cleaned them and managed them, ever since she passed the new girl doesn't know how to do her job properly" Upon hearing the story, the lady, Claude, looked visibly hurt. She introduced herself as one of Sophia's friends, she was twenty-three years old and rented an office in this workspace.

"I'm sorry. She was a deep friend of mine on the campus".

"Did Mr Jones send you to fetch some of her stuff?"

"Yes, I happen to work across the street so I'm doing her the favour".

"Then I'll speak to you later" After waving her hands to the pair, she went on her own way, Sophia lifted up her hand as well as if inadvertently from Beatrice's shoulder and waved back.

'Bye, Clau...'

"..." For the second time, Andrew witnessed Sophia's genuinely hurt expression, the first was with her father, and then this.

After bypassing a bunch of dark-clothed beautiful ladies which were apparently all Sophia's friends. Andrew made his way through together with Beatrice into the office that used to belong to Sophia.

'I used to study here during my shift, my work was easy, I just had to manage the workspace, keep it clean and make sure that everyone behaved... that's all. I earned my salary and also had a nice place to study'.

"So what do you want me to do?" Andrew asked, seeing how Beatrice refrained from touching anything, but she was indeed 'looking' at everything.

"Who are you whispering to for a while?" She inquired while bending down to look at some files in the office.

"No one, just... things".

"Hmmm..." Beatrice didn't believe his crap, but she felt relieved that for once the back pain and the cold had receded, everything because Sophia departed her shoulders to touch her worktop with nostalgia.

'I don't want you to do anything, Andrew... I just wanted to see if they missed me. For some reason it is quite comforting to be missed... they were my closest friends, just like Sasha, I-I just felt like I needed this'.

Andrew's eyes caught a smile on her beautiful lips, like a gust of wind was waving her delightful hair. In this frame, in front of the sunlit window. Sophia looked gorgeous and saintly.

"... d-do you feel like going to the afterlife?" He asked out of nowhere, with a voice audible enough for Beatrice to hear as well. The woman had been inspecting some folders when she heard that, then turned around to look at Andrew who seemed to be looking at the window mesmerized.

'Eh, not at all... how does that feel? how can I know?~ I just feel a little happy right now, that's all'.

"Don't ask me, you're the one that's dead..."

'Don't say it like that... we're together aren't we?'

"Sorry..."

He walked to the computer and switched it on. Sophia told him the password.

'Y-You want to look at my search history?'

"No, but-" He had to stop whispering when Beatrice leaned by his side, looking at the contents of the computer. With her this close he couldn't whisper without being heard. Her massive lumps were technically resting on his shoulder.

"Sophia Jones... isn't she the one that committed suicide? I saw it in the news"

"She didn't... I think she got murdered" Andrew stated, looking through the information in the laptop in which there were some of Sophia's chats, the ghost was cursing at him but he didn't care.

Eventually, he found the email he was looking for, the one in which Sophia was contacting a private detective she found on the internet.

"And why would you think that? tell me the truth, who sent you here? Leon Jones?" Beatrice was throwing out names with an attitude that gave away many hints, Andrew bit his lips... it was more and more evident.

"How do you know so much, Beatrice?"

"If I tell you... you will hate me" She said with apprehension, it caused so much pain to Andrew. Those words were like a confirmation.

Having obtained the information he was going after, Andrew switched off the laptop and stood up with a hurt expression.

"I don't know. But I will hate you if you don't tell me, Beatrice. I like you, I don't want to hate you".

Both had a stare-lock in which Beatrice eventually crumbled and looked away. She didn't even see to notice that Andrew just confessed, instead... her mind was focused on the apprehension her mind was conveying.

"Let's go return to the restaurant if you already got what you need... we're still in the shift and our break is over".

0