Ch 1. The Dream
1.4k 4 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    

Announcement
There is some offensive language in this chapter.

 

 

    “Mom we have to go, that cursed human contraption is catching up,” said a small boy standing at the side of a beautiful woman. She was clad in a silvery blue dress that seemed to be made of concentrated moonlight. Her golden hair fell down to her butt, her face was nearly flawless. Her skin was pale but glowed with life as if she was lit from within. She smiled at the boy reassuringly, his face was twisted in worry, an expression rarely seen on a spirit. His short curly blue hair was tangled with leaves and sticks. He held his mom's hand, his short stature making her crouch down slightly. His blue tunic and pants were torn from their frantic journey through the underbrush. Fortunately they could be remade with a little spirit magic.

     “I’m sorry my queen,” said a girl as she floated down from overhead. “I tried to stop that monstrosity but it just shrugged off everything I did.” She bowed her head, her flowing green hair falling down over her face. She brushed it aside and smoothed her dress, she was more put together than the boy. Marking a clear difference in their abilities. Despite having the same childlike appearance as the boy she had an older, more mature air about her.

     “Thank you Dariel if you hadn’t been out playing we might have been caught unaware,” she said looking at him. Her gentle voice had a musical quality to it that set the two at ease. She looked at the girl and spoke in a tender tone, “Anais, when the time comes I want you to take Dariel…”

     “Your majesty, now isn't the time for this we NEED to leave,” Anais interrupted in an urgent tone.

     The Queen placed her hand on the spirit's head in a pacifying manner. She smiled at them for a moment, a gentle forlorn smile. Dariel began to whimper as tears began to shimmer in his eyes. “Dariel, my son, though our time together was short, I enjoyed this last fifty years with you.”

     “Mom…” he began before he burst out crying.

     “Anais,” she spoke with a mournful edge to her voice. “I’m sorry, I need you to take Dariel and leave.” There was a crash of broken wood as a tree fell not too far off. “You must find the next spirit queen. She will be confused and lost. These many centuries with you have been an endless source of joy for me. But my line comes to an end today. For the first time in many millennia a new spirit queen shall be born.”

     “But mom…” Anais began before a gesture from the spirit queen cut her off.

     “No buts. The new queen won't have my memories. She will be confused, lost, and alone. You as my eldest child must guide her. And maybe she can succeed where I failed.” She picked her two children up and held them close. Her body began to glow with iridescent light as she drew upon her powers. She uttered a chant in an ancient forgotten language. An immense amount of energy began to flow into her. A force that seemed to draw in everything of the world. Around the globe a few sensitive individuals felt a great tugging. As if the whole world was being drawn to a single point.

     She continued to draw in energy, her two children staring in awe as her whole body began to change. Her form gradually fading as the energy of the world poured into her. Her body gradually became the same iridescent energy, still in the shape of her form. At the edge of the clearing appeared the mechanical form of a Spirisoldier. It raised its arm and began to charge a blast, its gun glowing ominously. However a lancing arc of iridescent energy lashed out and smashed it into the ground. 

    “My children, forgive me.” she said as her form dissipated the energy blasting upwards where it coalesced into a single point and shot off to parts unknown. The world snapped back into place as the energy shot off with a boom that shook the trees.

    In the topmost tower at Avalon Academy the headmaster stared out his window, when he felt the pulling. “So a new queen is being born. And from the feel of this energy she will be the most powerful one to date.” he said to himself, his genial voice tinged with a sad air. As the energy began to climax a beam of light visible even this far away filled the night sky. Seeing it he added softly, “Goodbye Ariana.” He rang a bell and a butler walked in the room. The elderly headmaster turned to face him and said three words. “It is time.”

 

*****

 

    Jessie felt weightless as he soared through the night sky. He felt something twist as he changed directions. A strange tugging feeling pulled him towards a single point of glowing light. As he entered it the world bent as strange colors filled his vision. As quickly as he entered he left. He had the sense that he traveled a great distance despite the shortness of the trip. Limply he hung in the air waiting for something. Before he could grow bored the tugging feeling returned and he shot off once again.

    The scenery below him had become familiar, he began to recognize things. He passed his school, his parents' work, and his best friend's house. Instinctively he knew his destination and wasn't surprised when his house came into view. He jerked downwards, his body passing through the roof. Coming to his room he hovered above his body. His sleeping form lay there, his face twisted in a grimace. Seeing his body once again brought the sense of wrongness he had come to associate with his less than manly appearance. Although he wanted to observe himself a little longer something shoved him into his body.

    He sat upright as his heart hammered in his chest. A warm feeling permeated him as he struggled to remember what he dreamed. Try as he might, however it slipped away leaving a strange sadness in his wake. It had been something important and losing it nearly brought him to tears. He picked up his phone from his night stand and saw it was still early in the morning. It was still dark outside, his parents wouldn’t wake for several more hours. He lied back down but he wasn't tired anymore. Picking back up his phone he began to watch videos.

    When the sun began to peek over the mountains he heard his parents get up and decided to rise. He was strangely energetic despite having only slept a few hours. Heading for his bathroom, he thankfully had his own attached to his room, he began his daily routine. He sat on the toilet like he always did, he preferred sitting if able.

    Once he finished using the restroom. He grabbed his razor but noticed that the faint stubble that was present every morning was gone. He didn't have time to puzzle at this however as his mom called him for breakfast. With a shrug he put it back and walked out of his room.

    “Morning mom,” he said in his usual soft voice.

    “Morning hun,” his mom said as she started to serve him a plate.

    His dad frowned as usual and just nodded his head. 

    “What's for breakfast?” Jesse asked. 

    “I made eggs, bacon, and hash browns,” his mom replied, setting a plate of food down in front of him. 

    “Why can't you be more manly,” his dad grumbled. “Are you even using the protein powder and weights I got for you?”

    “Jesse is fine dear, he's just a late bloomer. He'll become a fine gentleman in no time.”

    “You can’t keep pampering him. It’ll make him a sissy faggot.” 

    Jesse kept his head down, he knew his dad was old fashioned.

    “DAD!” Exclaimed Sarah coming out of her room. She was the best big sister anyone could ask for. “Jesse, take your food and go to your room. I’ll get you when we're gonna leave for the mall.”

    He didn't need telling twice. This is exactly why he didn't like being around his father. With a sigh he closed and locked his door before sitting down at his desk. Although he had lost his appetite he continued to eat, tears falling on his plate. He didn't know why his dad was always attacking his manhood.

    “It’s not like I chose to be this way…” Jesse said to himself. Pressing the power button the lights on his computer turned on. The fan buzzing to life with its quiet hum. He double checked that his door was locked before putting in the password. The desktop appeared, his picture was a cute girl from an anime he watched. Dad hated anime and cartoons, accusing them of being for girls. He opened up the browser on his computer checking some of his favorite sites before switching over to his friends group chat.

    Tony: Hey Jessie when are we gonna play that new rpg?

    Jessie: I’m going to the mall with Sarah, you wanna meet us there?

    Tony: Hell yeah I'm down, I need some new piercings and I want to get the next Slime book.

    Jessie: I told you you’d love it.

    Tony: Dude I binged the whole series in almost one sitting.

    Jessie: Same, I really hope we get another season of the diaries spinoff. 

    Tony: Same.

    He smiled as he talked with Tony, he had been Jesse's best friend since they were both kids. It seemed like today was gonna be a fun day. He couldn't hear the argument anymore, his dad probably went to his workshop. 

    Jessie: Hey Mira. Sarah, Tony and I are gonna be at the mall today. Wanna meet up with us?

    Mira: Hell yea, I miss your face. 

    Jessie: Awesome. And yea sorry dad’s been getting on me. You know him, he has this crazy notion of gender and social norms.

    Mira: Yea i could tell. He always gave me dirty looks when I showed up in pants and a t-shirt.

    Jessie: Yeah, I'm sorry. Mom and Sarah are trying to get him to change but he's just so stubborn. Anyway I hear Sarah coming now so see you at the mall. I’ll text you where to meet. Love you.

    Mira: Love you too babe.

    Sarah knocked on his door just as he expected, “You ready?”

    “Yea,” he replied as he locked his computer. He left his room and locked the door behind him, dropping the key in his pocket. His dad had taken to snooping in his room throwing out anything that he deemed ‘unacceptable’.

    “It’s bullshit that you have to keep your room locked,” she said angrily.

    “It's dad’s weird way of showing he loves me…”

    She sighed and shook her head. “I mean yea he cares but he shouldn't be invading your privacy like that. All because of some weird fear of anyone who isn't ‘normal’.”

    They got in Sarah's car and started driving to the mall. “He just wants what's best for me…” 

    “Seriously Jessie, what he's doing is borderline abusive. I don't understand why you defend him when he takes every opportunity to berate you,” she said, getting visibly angry. “One of these days I'm afraid he's going to hurt you. And that terrifies me.” 

    He felt warm and happy. He loved his sister dearly but she could be a bit protective. His father wouldn't do anything to hurt him. She was worrying for nothing. Before he could respond they parked and Sarah got out. 

    “You need to stand up to him Jessie. He won't stop until you do.”

    The thought of standing up to his father made him uneasy. He wasn't strong like his sister. 

    Mira: Hey, I'm here at the bookstore.

    Jessie: Perfect, we just parked outside of it. Meet you inside.

    “Hey Mira is here, and Tony said he’ll be here soon,” he said with a smile.

    “I like Mira. She's good for you.”

    “What do you mean?”

    “Well, no offense Jessie you know I love you, but you're a little too passive for your own good. Mira is a strong woman, she’ll be able to protect you.”

    He puffed out his cheeks with a look of indignation on his face. Spinning on his heels he  walked into the bookstore. There was a flash of red and something launched itself at him, grabbing him in a hug. Followed by the soft sensation of lips pressing against his.

    “Hey babe.” Mira said smiling. God did he love her. Her hair was a fiery red, a smattering of freckles danced across her face, which always seemed to be smiling. She was slightly taller than him. She was wearing a pair of skinny jeans, and a modest blouse. Compared to him she could fill a room with her confidence.

    “Hey sweetie,” he replied, giving her a hug. She giggled and hugged him back. Her personality was just as fiery as her hair. Maybe that's why she was interested in him? Compared to her he was meek and shy, or dainty as his dad would say.

    “Hey Mira,” Sarah said walking in the door.

    “Sarah, my favorite sister,” she replied, giving a hug and kissing the air by her cheeks. 

    “Are you gonna make the first move? Cause you know my brother wouldn’t,” she said under her breath.

    “Maybe later, there's plenty of time,” she said with a mischievous grin. Continuing loud enough for Jessie to hear, “I told Tony that we were at the bookstore he came in through a different entrance.”

    They decided to wait for Tony at the manga section, Jessie having mentioned what he said. A couple of minutes later he walked up.

    “Yo.” he said lazily, raising a hand. 

    “Hey,” the others replied. 

    They browsed the manga for a while while talking amongst themselves before going to the register. Tony got the one he mentioned and a volume of the Dragon Maid. Jessie picked up a girl's love romance novel, another one for the hiding spot. After paying for their books they walked around the mall. Mira holding him close, in a dominant slightly possessive way. He was enjoying himself so much that he forgot all about the dream. Until Mira spoke.

    “Jessie, did you do something to your skin? It's softer than usual, and your face is really smooth.”

    Although he never really had much body hair he still had to shave daily. “No, I'm just my usual self. Is that bad?” 

    “No, actually I really like it.” Her words made him really happy for some reason. He held her closer with a big grin on his face as he cuddled up to her.

34