Chapter 2: Trouble
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jane Augustin (POV)

I could tell Lily's preoccupied in her thoughts right now. She's being totally focused without a hint of distress. After what happened earlier in the cafe, she's now being herself. I giggled a little bit thinking about it and she looked at me weird. We both entered the city hall after a 20 minute car ride. Like any other city hall, every year it's always been renovated but this time it I don't see much improvements but I wondered if telling Lily about what Jake said earlier. It crossed my mind but I shouldn't say it since it would distract her from the meeting and would get constantly worried. She's not so easily to worry but she acts like a mother sometimes. Instead, I'll have to hold that information for now.

"Hey Lily, do you think they'll pitch about what's happening in the city?"

I asked Lily. She only looked at me with a worry eyes. Huh? I guess it's just like back then. It would just be ignored and they would be telling us that the police will do an investigation. All of them are corrupt for blissfully ignoring what the hell's going on. They're just making it worst.

"Still I would investigate it. I'm not a coward. After all I want to serve the citizens with my utmost best." Lisa bravely said. This is the Lisa I know even though we've gotten a lot of hate and threats over the years. She's still doing what's best for the people and help them in anyway she can.

The city hall's crowded since a lot of crimes have been happening lately. Although I could see some people complaining about they're getting picked on by someone and acting they're from the government. So I kinda get the gist of what's the meeting all about. They don't typically call out a meeting on Saturday. Mostly they'd do if there are some reports about the budgets, concerns, and mostly projects being made. But for some reason I've had this awful feeling after we left the cafe. I'm sure Lily saw it too but I just didn't mind it or I pretend I didn't saw it. I'm a bad friend and an assistant for her. As usual she's hearing out some people; talking to them about what's going on and offering some help. I like seeing this side of her. I can't be like that. Confident and a leader. She's different although I already shipped them with the cafe owner. But I doubt she's gonna be interested in him.

As soon as we entered the mayor's office. Some of them are already arguing and I couldn't help but be worried about Lily. Mayora Elvi looks like she's stressed just from listening her subordinates talk but we couldn't blame her. As we both sat down all of them stopped talking as if Lily's presence was a factor but all I can tell was Lisa looked calm and collected. Everyone looked at Mayora, patiently waiting for her to talk.

"Miss Robyn thank you for coming. Now that everyone's stopped murmuring useless things. Shall I address you about what's happening in our city right now?"

Everyone couldn't talk but be silent by Mayora's words. I can't help but still be scared of Mayora even though we've worked for a couple of years now.

"Yes, well I did hear some rumors that some citizens are being picked on by some kind of gang." Councilor Lance said.

He's the same age as Mayora, well a bit older and he worked with Lily's father a long time ago. But still he's the only councilor we trust. Him and Mayora are the only ones in here that are doing the right thing for this city.

"Bah! It's just some rumors. You know that there are some people who loves to gossip about some gangs that even the police couldn't find."

I saw Lily's eyes almost irking her after that councilor said that. She's not pissed but I could just tell the way Lily looked at that man with a murdering intent. Councilor Alfon. He's a creep and he's probably at his 50's and he's some receding hair. I still don't know why he won't go bald. Not even a doctor could save it.

"But still we can't ignore it. We are risking the safety of our citizens and we're just neglecting it." Lily irately responded.

"We aren't ignoring it Miss Robyn but the police are already investigating it."

"Or you can just take it as a rumor. Don't you think? Don't poke your nose where you belong like your father did." Councilor Alfon provokingly said.

"What did you just say?" Lily stood up directly at the councilor.

Lily was furious but I quickly grabbed her hand and stopped her from making unnecessary actions as it would cost her job. Then Mayora stopped it.

"Stop it Mr. Alfon. Don't get off topic or I'll have you leave."

"Me? If anyone here should leave it should be his daughter! I mean isn't it his fault why this city is like this?"
He insisted and looked at Lily.

I held Lily as she's tightening her grip. I glanced and saw her frustrated face. She's like this whenever someone's speak ill of her father.

"Mr. Alfon! Please leave if you utter nonsense any further!" Councilor Lance yelled at Mr. Alfon.

"Oh yeah?! Do you think we wouldn't be in this mess if he cou-"

"Stop it the both of you! For now I'll adjourned this meeting and have you all leave. Next time I hope you'll be in your right mind and conduct." Mayora said and ended the meeting.

All of them stood up and left. Councilor Alfon looked at Lily as if he's blaming her for stopping the meeting. I glanced him back and he's pissed. I comforted Lily whose been quiet after that confrontation earlier.

"I hate them for turning their back against him." Lily whispered.

She softly spoke it with a feeling of regret. Mayora asked us to be on the way and take a break. She'll call us another day and focus on our given tasks. Both Lily and I make our way out of the city hall. We went into the parking lot. She seems sluggish as if she's trying to remember something. I called her out.

"Lily, come on. Don't mind Mr. Alfon, that guy has a loose screw on his head."

I could see Lily's eyes being defeated and immediately she broke down. She cried and I reached for her. She's sobbing and murmuring about earlier.

"Dad didn't abandon them. They abandoned him. "

As she continued to cry. I remembered what I promised to myself that I'll always protect Lily as she protected me all these years...

0