Chapter 72 – Mother
57 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hell is awesome, but I missed this place.”

Kate and Apollyon were sharing lunch in the library’s restaurant. They had just returned to earth this morning, the day after Kate’s transformation.

“It is good to be back. We were not gone for long, but I must admit that I too have missed being here with you.”

The former human was no longer recognizable as such. She was clearly a demon now, a solid seven feet tall with small horns growing from her temples, but not as athletic as Apollyon had expected. Kate was becoming muscular, sure, but also lithe. While her transformation was not yet finished, the direction was clear: far away from humanity.

“Good thing we can do this every day for a very long time.”

“I look forward to it.”

Kate’s phone buzzed. She pulled it from her purse to check and stared at it in horror.

“I don’t look forward to this though…”

“What’s wrong?”

“My mum is on her way here… she caught wind that something happened last week and now wants to make sure I am fine.”

Apollyon frowned, but quickly chuckled and smiled again. “Well, time to try your human disguise. I will stall her if you want.”

“We still have an hour. I have time to try some stuff. So, how do I disguise myself?”

“For me, imagining seeing myself in a mirror as a human works. I know Lucifer imagines herself putting on a mask. You might want to try a few things, magic is very personal after all.”

“Okay… uhm…” Kate closed her eyes. She followed Apollyon’s instructions and imagined herself before a mirror. “Is it working?”

“No. You are still yourself.”

“Crazy to think that ‘myself’ is not human anymore. Anyway, let me try this again.”

Apollyon waited a moment before answering. “Still nothing.”

“Egh. Okay, I’ll try Lucifer’s way now.”

It took a moment, but Kate now looked like her enhanced human version.

“That worked.”

“Yea, I can feel it. This is so weird, I can still feel my demon body, but also the human bits like I just put a blanket over my head to play a ghost. I'm tiny now! How do I look?” For human standards Kate had never been tiny, but she sure felt that way, loosing over a foot in height compared to her demon self.

“You look exactly as you did before you became a demon. You are not Kate from last year, but soul improved Kate and I think your mother hasn’t seen you like this.”

“Right. Well, I will think of something if she asks questions.”

“If you need me to do anything, I will be there.”

“Thank you, but I think I can handle my mum asking a few uncomfortable questions.”

“I am certain you can.”

 

“Kathrine!”

Amelia was excited to see her daughter again. Eisheth had led her to the restaurant, where Apollyon and Kate were waiting.

“Hey mum.”

“Good to see you again as well, Pauline.”

“Likewise. Please, take a seat.” Apollyon gave a polite nod.

Amelia got comfortable. “I wanted to come by when that guy got to you, what’s his name? Henry? But it sounded like you had the support you needed and I would just get in the way. But with what I heard about last week, I just had to make sure you are alright.”

“I am fine. But I am curious, what did you hear?”

“What they reported on TV. You know, someone tried to rob a librarian in broad daylight, things got violent but the perpetrator got away. Two people were harmed, but quickly got medical attention. Since no one contacted me, I kind of assumed you weren’t involved in all that. I mean, you aren’t a librarian here, just friends with them.”

“About that… I wasn’t involved with that entire thing, but I was offered to be a librarian here in my spare time and I accepted.”

“Oh my, do tell me more!”

“There isn’t much to tell, honestly. I just do library stuff and sometimes do my homework at the reception desk to have the occasional visitor disrupt the boredom.”

“Aww, come on, I want all the details, even the boring ones. Do you get paid? Will they offer you a fulltime position when you graduate? Tell me all the things.”

Kate shrugged. “Technically I’m a volunteer, but I do get some nice benefits. Food, transportation, access to some fun secret things I can’t talk about.”

“And we intend to offer a fulltime position.” Apollyon interjected. “Kate’s help has been invaluable and we intend to keep her around as long as she wants to be here.”

“Which is a very long time. I love it here.” Kate added.

“Sounds like you got your future planned out. And your present, no idea what you are doing, is this all just from hitting the gym and some good makeup? You look amazing.”

“Well, yes and no. It’s healthy food and a good workout plan, not just the gym. And maybe a little makeup magic.” Kate winked.

“I never imagined my girl would ever get such a glow-up. I’m proud of you. Dad is too, of course! Too bad he didn’t have time to be here today.”

“It’s fine, I’ll make sure to come home over easter or during the summer. I want to see Lizzy’s face when she sees me like this.”

“I am sure she’ll be proud of you too.” Amelia took a moment just to look proud. “You really have come quite far, and I am sure you aren’t even telling me everything.”

“Hey, you have too. Just in these few minutes you’ve been a better mum and conversation partner than in the last years.”

“I’m certainly trying. I had a lot of time to think about last time, and yea, I really want to be a better mum. And I think that means letting you be yourself without my interference, no matter if I like what you become or not.”

Kate smiled. “Even if I don’t need it, your approval still means a lot to me. It sucks when your mum doesn’t like what you do, you know.”

“It does… Well, I am sure whatever you do, you will have thought it through.”

This might be an opportunity that Kate couldn’t let pass, but she needed a moment to poke her mother’s mind to make sure she really meant it. “And what if decided to sell my soul to a devil?”

Amelia chuckled. “I am sure you will have done so for a good reason. What would you actually sell your soul for?”

“Friends, health… nothing specific honestly, just the ability to live a good life and help the people I care about have a good life too.”

“I want to hope that I would sell my soul for something that worthwhile too.”

Kate went slightly red and chuckled awkwardly. Her mother meant what she said about trusting her daughter’s judgement, that didn’t make the next words any easier though. “Good thing I went for it then, right?”

“Went for what?”

“I might have sold my soul.”

“To whom?”

Kate looked at Apollyon, Amelia followed her daughter’s eyes and pointed at the disguised demon, then pointed at Kate. She went back and forth a few times before laughing. “Good one.”

“No mum, that wasn’t a joke.”

Apollyon shifted back to her demon form. “I am not sure selling your soul to yourself counts, Kate.”

Amelia nearly jumped out of her seat. “JESUS!”

“Please, there is no need to invoke the traitor’s name. I’m just a demon, not a… hm… I suppose you have a point.”

“Wha- What are you?”

“A demon, I just said that.”

“Yea, you did, sorry. So, uh, Kathrine sold her soul to you?”

“No, which I also already said. Her soul is her own.”

“Then why show me yourself? Why the jokes about selling your soul? This is honestly a bit scary.”

Kate sighed. “Because I’m a demon too now, mum.”

“YOU’RE A WHAT?!”

“A demon. I am still Kate, still your daughter, just with fancy demonic powers and a slight case of immortality.”

Amelia frowned. “I don’t believe you. That has to be some elaborate joke.”

“It isn’t.” Kate dropped her human disguise.

Her mother stared for a while. “Wow.”

“Yes. Still me though, good old Kate, just in a new shell.”

“Are you happy like that?”

“I am. I chose this after all. I honestly have never felt more comfortable in my body.”

“As long as you are happy, I think I’m okay with this. Do you want me to tell dad?”

“No, I’ll tell him myself when I come by.”

“Alright. How did this happen anyway?”

Kate shrugged. “I was given the option because the other demons like me and I like them too. You know the feeling when you finally find your group? That’s pretty much what happened here. And then Polly turned me into a demon.”

“I think I understand. So… how long have you been…?”

“Since yesterday.”

Amelia just stared again. “Okay.”

Apollyon shook her head and chuckled. “This is not how I imagined this conversation, but I am very glad you are accepting of your daughter’s choices.”

“Kathrine is still my daughter. I don’t have to understand everything she does, I only need to make sure she is well and happy. And this whole demon thing seems to make her happy and she looks healthier than ever before. Even that little eyebrow scar is gone now. I’m not sure about the existence of demons, but you seem to be great, so I won’t be too upset about all that. I just have a lot of questions.”

“Those are best handled over food. I will cook us something up.”

“I actually wanted to invite you again… but I also want to spend a little more time with my demon daughter.”

“We can order something.”

“Oh yes, that would be good. Just pick the best food we can have.”

The rest of the evening was filled with questions and answers. Amelia was curious about Kate’s new body, magic, demon society and what Kate planned for the future. Today, they felt more like a family than ever before. Kate had feared that her new demonic self would drive her away from her human family, but it seemed to do the opposite. When her mother left again, it wasn’t with hopes that the next meeting would go better, but with the knowledge that it would be just as good and they would slowly grow closer as mother and daughter.

 

“I did not think you would reveal yourself to her.” Apollyon stood beside Kate as they waved at the departing taxi.

“I didn’t plan to. I just decided to probe if she really meant it when she said she would accept me whatever I decided, and she really did. I couldn’t let that opportunity pass. It’s honestly relieving. I still have to lie to Oliver and the rest of my family but having someone who knows is worth a lot.”

“Yes, it is. Did you ask her about your old electronics? The phone and laptop for Rhea.”

Kate sighed. “I totally forgot.”

“I suppose you will have time to pick them up when you visit your old home.”

“Or I can just text her when we get back inside.”

“You should do that. Are you free afterwards?”

“Uh, yea.”

“I would enjoy your company.”

“I don’t have anywhere I need to be, I am all yours.”

“Then I request cuddles.”

“Request granted, let’s head inside.”

6