Chapter Four – A Witch and the Student Council
182 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“How are you enjoying Seitosha Sakurai?” Satomi asked, hands folded politely in front of her as they walked down the hall, despite the weight of the backpack which Emi was currently staggering under.

“Oh!” Emi said brightly. “The building itself seems like it has a better than average chance of being haunted by at least twenty ghosts. Victims, doubtlessly, of terminal conformity. The grounds seem very expensive and well put together. A no-doubt hellish nightmare for maintenance. All in all, though, it is probably the most school-like school I’ve seen since my last school.”

“I…” Satomi cocked her head to the side, trying to figure out what the smaller girl had just said. “I suppose that’s…good, then?”

“I imagine it must be,” Emi said, trying to maneuver her backpack to get at the bread she’d bought at the convenience store before coming to school. She flailed haplessly before managing to move the backpack around enough to rummage through the outside pocket.

“So, what brought you here, if I may ask, Seto san?” Satomi slowed slightly as Emi searched the pocket.

“Oh, well, it’s kind of a funny story,” Emi finally managed to grab the bread and tore the package open with her teeth. “My best friend’s a lesbian and so my mom was afraid I’d embarrass her, so she shipped me here to prevent me from catching the gay.”

“Uh…” Satomi stared at her, mouth agape. “Really?”

“Yup,” Emi nodded, taking a big bite of the moist bread and grinning. “I rove meron!” She enthused; mouth full to overflowing with bread.

“Y-You’ll have to excuse me for asking, Seto san, but which part of that story was funny?”

“Satomi, you scamp, what are you doing?” A girl with long black hair pulled into a ponytail like Emi’s own interrupted, flipping Satomi’s skirt up playfully as she passed by.

“Tsubaki! You are so uncouth! Can’t you see I’m escorting a new student?” Satomi snapped her skirt back down and scowled at the girl. Tsubaki sped around both and stopped in the middle of the hall, arms spread wide to keep them from moving on.

“Why didn’t I hear about this new student?” Tsubaki eyed Emi carefully. “I’m a member of the student council! It’s unconscionable! I demand an explanation!”

“The email was sent to Himari san this morning, Tsubaki,” Satomi sighed.

“Oh?” The girl eyed Emi for a moment longer before smiling a lop-sided grin and sticking her hand out. “Tsubaki Fujita! Nice to meet you!”

“Emi,” Emi replied, stuffing the rest of the bread into her mouth, and shaking the girl’s hand. “Hand’s sticky.” Tsubaki glanced down at her hand for a moment before licking the sticky spot Emi’s hand had left behind on her skin.

“Mmm,” Tsubaki said. “Melon.”

“It’s good, right?” Emi grinned.

“Ugh,” Satomi groaned in disgust. “Don’t do…that’s not hygienic.”

“It’s just melon goo,” Tsubaki sighed. “I wasn’t licking her armpit or something. You need to lighten up.”

“We really need to get to the Student Council room,” the look of horror on Satomi’s face deepened even more. She tugged on Emi’s arm, desperate to separate from Tsubaki.

“How convenient!” Tsubaki grinned. “I was just on my way there as well!”

“No, you were not!” Satomi stamped her foot in protest. “You never go to the council room!”

“I totally was this time, though!” Tsubaki protested. “I forgot my underwear there this morning.”

“I- “Satomi’s mouth opened and closed like a fish for a long moment. “I don’t want to know! Go away!” Well, Emi thought, this turned interesting fast. “I was getting to know Seto san and you’re interrupting!”

“We can both get to know her! Don’t hog the new girl, Satomi,” Tsubaki chided her. “So, what were you two talking about?”

“Nothing! It’s no concern of yours!” Satomi gasped indignantly.

Emi found herself jostled between the two of them as they battled for some sort of sightseeing supremacy. The hall they walked through branched off in several directions and the pair continued their tour, each talking over the other as they led Emi up a wide flight of stairs and then down another hall, ignoring the bemused glances of the girls they passed.

They passed classrooms and activity rooms and club rooms as they went, and Emi realized quite quickly she wasn’t being guided around anything so much as she was being herded. Still, she couldn’t complain. She had gotten to eat her melon bread and it looked less and less likely she was being taken somewhere to be shaken down for lunch money. Both were fine, so she resolved to simply let things happen. Finally, the unlikely trio stopped in front of the last door in the hall and Satomi knocked.

“Just go in,” Tsubaki prodded.

“No! What if someone’s indecent?” Satomi hissed back.

“Who would be indecent in the Student Council room?” Tsubaki retorted.

“Um…you, evidently,” Satomi pointed out.

“Fair point,” Tsubaki acknowledged with a shrug. “But I’m out here. Just go in.”

“I am not go- “Satomi began when the door suddenly opened.

12