The Friendship Club 1
637 11 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The once bustling courtyard had now calmed, all of Golden Crown Academy’s students congregating into a single crowd that began to form below a lifted wooden stage. The festival had ended, and with a quick look at my CrystalCell I could see it was just short of noon.

From my notes of the plot I had studied regularly in my early years, I remembered the first day was split in two. The first half would be a morning festival held every year till lunch time for all students, then the second half would be when first years were given a tour of the academy before settling into dorms and scouting out their classes.

Second and Third years got the rest of the day off to do as they please, which left a bitter taste in my mouth as I made my way to the crowd, blazer already off.

Currently, one of the many teachers not relevant to the plot of A cursed Blessing was giving a speech, his round belly matching his wild hand gestures and his bald head shining like a scrap of metal in a desert.

I had no recollection of a bald character in the story, so as I stopped just shy of the last row of students, I took a moment to just think.

If someone told me I would have changed my mind and come to this academy, I would assume you were insane or mocking me. A Cursed Blessing was a romantic comedy where steamy, romantic, and well… comedic situations followed everyone like a shadow. Simply by being on the premises of this place, one would need to always watch their back, since everything and anything could lead to disaster.

The entire island was one huge playground for feelings, and as someone who at least was marginally older, I dreaded the idea of what hormonal teenagers could cause in a place like this. 

Give them some type of superpower, a mysterious headmaster, and ancient secrets; and you have yourself plenty of potential adventures afoot. The idea left me exhausted already, and I assumed it was how most adults would feel. Just as they were annoyed by their children making them play make believe, teenagers lacking the barest hint of respect in manners, and a loathing how younger people seemed to have a brain hardwired to create chaos at every turn. I never really remembered my high school days, as they were wrought with depression and loneliness, so some examples lipped my mind. However, I may not have indulged in them, but I had witnessed enough to know.

It seems, when you have responsibilities, ones that decide the course of your entire life; anything frivolous is seen as a waste of energy. The term adult just means restraint and empathy, as you learn that if I say these things, I will inconvenience someone else, or if I do these things, it will inconvenience me. Plus, time no longer is as abundant as it was before, and things you would spend hours doing as a kid to have fun, needed to be spent elsewhere to move along your miserable life a few more inches in a twenty mile marathon.

Maybe that was why I had become so adamant about avoiding this school. Maybe I was stuck in the mindset of someone who had to shoulder everything by themselves? I had parents now, I had two sisters to rely on, and perhaps one day I could even have a friend.

Unlikely, but still, this could be a chance to experience things in high school I never got the chance to the first time around.

Although, as I surveyed the three hundred or so students diligently listening to the speech of the rotund teacher, I frowned. I had come to terms with the fact this world was real, so there would be no questioning reality, but who was to say it wouldn’t rear its ugly head again. 

Why did I get a second chance?

I exhaled, not wanting to go in circles for hours on end in my head, and if I listened close enough I could hear the phantom words of my little Citrus telling me to stop being all “Uncool” and such.

I was here now, fate or not be damned, and I was mature enough to live with my decisions whether they were bad or not.

So, to hype myself up, I proceeded to slap both palms on my cheeks. My action drew a few side eyes and glances from the students in front of me.

Ignoring them, my gaze went back to surveying the crowd, a silent thank you to my parents for giving me good enough genetics to be an inch or so above most everyone. In my search, I tried to look for any characters I could recognize from the story, but with only the color of their hair it was near impossible to tell.

I had just realized how many people had pink hair, which was quite something, and hell there were even some who had more bizarre hair. A male not but five feet away from me had red and white peppermint swirl locks, another with hair that was copper colored but turned purple when the sun hit it just right-however that worked- and a girl with short hair that would shift through each color of the rainbow.

A truly interesting part of this world, but my musings were stopped cold as I suddenly heard the familiar female voice that instinctively sent shivers down my spine.

“Hello dear students.” 

Miss Violet took graceful yet firm steps forward, her robes of white, gold, and purple flapping in the non existent wind while accompanied with her light purple eyes that seemed to pierce the soul.

“I would first like to welcome back last year’s first years, who have made another important step on their paths, and also to the second years who have now ventured through those paths, discovering more of what they can offer for the world and themselves.”

I noticed the nostalgic, bitter, and excited smiles gracing most students' faces, but I focused back on Miss Violet’s speech, realizing she had started the year just as she did in the novel.

Somewhere in this crowd, the protagonist of A Cursed Blessing had his fists clenched, making an all too infamous promise to make memories that he would never forget.

Maybe, due to that promise, the ensuing shenanigans happened.

‘Should I make a promise?’ The question echoed in my mind, and as Miss Violet went on to talk about first years and how they were like dormant flowers soon to bloom, I did not see a problem with it.

I spoke in a whisper, just enough only me, and whoever sent me to this world could hear.

“I promise to try, to try and be kinder, for real this time.”

I looked down at my open palm, clenched it into  fist and nodded, recentring my focus back on the mysterious Miss Violet who should be ending her speech now.

However, she did not, and instead I could swear her eyes met mine.

“And students, all I ask of you is to enjoy yourselves. Golden Crown Academy is both a home and a battleground. A place you may rest the mind, hone your craft, and challenge everyone who sets foot in these halls,even yourself. Be great.”

I knew what came next, and I discreetly inched away from the crowd and covered my ears.

In concert, the second and third years shouted.

“For the Crown!”

Yeah, I should have slept in, or maybe I should have asked for more coffee hugs- I mean regular hugs with no ulterior motives from Citrus.

“Now.” Miss Violet’s soft voice reached every ear. “First Years will be led by a teacher's assistant to get situated in their dorm rooms and given a syllabus.”

I sighed, Although her speech was different, nothing major had changed.

Lucky.

“Oh, and could Cadence Sky stay behind.”

My right eye twitched, and I mirrored others in front of me by looking at fellow students in curiosity on who that could be. Thankfully, the crowd of first years began to be herded to their rightful places, upperclassmen going back to the festival as they were free till tomorrow.

While they did so, I used measured steps to bring myself to stand before the woman I sympathized with but also respectfully wanted to strangle. However, I did not let it show on my face, not willing to let her see she had such a dramatic effect on me.

“Miss.” I greeted with a slight bow as she stepped off the stairs leading to the stage.

“Cadence” Miss Violet spoke, a smirk on her face.

“It’s Cade.” I answered curtly.

Miss Violet held out a petite hand, “And it is Miss Violet, a teacher at this fine academy, nice to meet you formally.”

We shook hands, and in my head I had pulled her toward me and German Suplex her, but in reality I just smiled.

Albeit a strained one.

“I assume you got the letter from the Headmaster since you are here, now if you follow me, we can get you up to speed on the way to my office.” 

With that, she turned, leading me to a row of red trolly carts that would bring the students through the campus grounds as a tour. I had slightly hoped to join them, but during my short talk with Miss Violet most of the students already got in and were sent along the tracks.

All but one, which was unfortunately empty, and allowed Miss Violet and I to walk in and sit across from one another. The cart had long clear windows, leather seats beyond comfortable as my rear sunk in, and was one of the few things that had remnants of magic. Runes shone in a line across the ceiling, their complex curves and geometric shapes both mystical and intriguing.

“First year tour please.” Miss Violet spoke aloud, and with it, we began to move along and pick up speed.

The silence was suffocating, but for a loner like me, it was something all too familiar. I did not focus on the fact I was seated next to my favorite character in A Cursed Blessing, that would drive me insane, so instead I focused on the scenery visible through the windows.

The village square where the festival was held slowly grew distant, and in its place a sprawling evergreen forest could be seen, trees becoming blurry as the cart went faster.

It was beautiful, honestly, and fascinating how this world had not done away with nature. Opting to build around or co-existing with it instead. Deforestation was always a last option, and with little to no pollution since mana recycled perfectly in nature the air, even in the trolley cart, smelled of clear pine and earth.

“I see you enjoy the scenery?” Miss Violet asked, her legs crossed and her hands smoothing out the wrinkles in her teacher robes.

I smiled, “Yes.”

“Hmm, is there a particular reason?” She asked, eyes wandering to the passing forest as well.

“Not really, I can just appreciate a nice view.” I was never one for small talk, and the awkward silence that came after made it all too obvious.

The only conversations I ever held that did not devolve into silence was with family, and… well they were it. Middle school students were doing childish things or things I could not relate to, and no matter the age of my new body, hanging around those under thirteen had always been unsettling.

In high school, at least they were only five years apart from my old life, a gap I did not mind as much.

Miss Violet was older than me, and from what I remembered she was twenty six, also an orphan like the old me, and never showed a hint of her true thoughts.

With a Gift like [Lie Detector], I was sure she learned to hold back truths, hiding them from everyone and putting up a facade. She was my favorite character not out of her quirks and personality, but because she shared the most in common with me. I connected with her, knowing how it felt to bottle it all up, but also trying to help others despite this.

“You are a quiet one.” She said, “I expected you to be nervous, ask questions about how and why you were given that letter, or even why we knew you had a Cursed Blessing.”

I shrugged, “Does it matter? I am here now, not much changes for my future plans.”

“And those are?” She asked.

“Private.” I shot back, knowing I won this round of whatever we were doing.

She finally turned, still beautiful as ever, “Well, then let me skip the probing. The Headmaster has relayed to me that you will be given a bit of leeway because of our way of coercion into enrolling you.”

“And those are?” I asked, wholefully intrigued.

“Private.” Miss Violet smiled, more so than she ever did in the novel.

I held back the chuckle I wanted to do at her clear pettiness, but adults were skilled in this aspect, and I did not mind showing off mine.

“Fair.”

That was all I said, turning back to the forest that had become more sparse, an open valley with a deep blue river snaking through it, and a stone bridge allowed our trolley cart  to cross it without issue.

I glanced forward, a castle hugging the bottom side of a snow capped mountain a truly breathtaking sight. Stone of white, tiles of gold, stained glass of varying colors, sprawling flower beds and gardens despite the tundra biome, and even golden leafed oak trees dotted about. Four corner towers, along with a central one that peaked above the others.

The Headmaster’s office sat at the top, and it was the only character never shown in the novel that made an impact. The Headmaster of Golden Crown Academy only communicated through letters, and throughout the entire two hundred chapter story that fact held true.

I was once disappointed when I had come to finish A Cursed Blessing, thinking that the author would at least show who the Headmaster would be. Sadly, it never happened, and now that I was living in said world perhaps I could explore a few of the unknowns.

A thought for another time, my interest gathering back to the sole other passenger on this cart, Miss Violet simply staring at me with an emotionless face.

“Is there something you want to say Miss Violet?” I asked.

“No, I just find you quite interesting.”

I exhaled, “I apologize, but teacher-student relationships are strictly forbidden.”

That got a start out of her, and for the first time ever I presume, she blushed for but a single second before turning away and growing silent.

Another win, and I came to realize messing with well known characters was pretty fun, I could do this more often.

Although, I needed to form a few plans for the future. A Cursed Blessing was a romantic harem comedy where a group of girls would slowly gravitate toward the protagonist. He would be like any other dense MC who would be oblivious to the advancements of the girls around him, and only when one of them practically shoved her love in his face did he decide to grow a brain and notice.

Then, he would reject six girls, tossing their feelings away like trash and picking one girl. They, and as sad as it sounds, were miserable without him. Their lives were downright shit, and I knew it was the author gunning for pity points and a want for readers to care about them.

The backstories I found sad were actually real now, and things would not be all sunshines and rainbows. I could not guarantee that any of the heroines would be fine, since the story only shows the protagonist and his girlfriend at the end, not even giving a few extra chapters for the others.

These were characters I cried, laughed, and cared for; I would be damned not to help them realize they could live a life they so choose. They would not get a second chance to reincarnate like me, since I met no deity who talked about a reincarnation cycle, so this was their one and only life.

I never wanted anyone to be alone like I was, the suffocating blanket of depression slowly sucking the energy and joy out of everything. The stories I had once loved becoming stale, the video games I played with my online ‘friends’ becoming too dull to continue playing, and my job a soulless abyss taking away my most precious resource called time.

Hours spent within my dark studio apartment, lost, wishing there could be more to life.

Never again for me, and never again for those I had the capacity to help. My Gift was special, more so than the MC’s, and that meant I could make a difference.

I wouldn't stop the heroines from loving the protagonist, if it was even possible to do so anyways, but I would make sure to not let them get anywhere close to how I felt in the moments before my death.

So they wouldn’t find solace in the end. It was too pathetic.

The trolley pulled into a line of other carts which had been used by the other first years. A steady flow of students walking down the dozen or so marble sidewalks, some already entering through the giant double doors made of pure gold which lead to the infamous Golden Crown Academy.

I turned to Miss Violet, who had stayed silent after my small tease, “We are here.”

“Indeed we are.” Her usual air of mystery and mischief was back, the woman standing and heading toward the doors that opened automatically. “Come to my office on the third floor in the central tower before classes start tomorrow, speak to one of the assistants and they will help get you situated in a dorm and a class. Also, I can only assume the Headmaster will speak to you again.”

I followed a few feet behind her, and once we stepped foot on the grassy field and a gust of wind buffeted my body, a small smile crept onto my face.

I knew how I could help people, I knew what needed to be done, and I knew the first step.

It started with the hectic first week of school, the time in which first years would settle in for three days and then on the fourth decide which club they wanted to join.

I was focused on joining one particular club however, one that would not be seen till their main cast were second years. It was obvious that with my involvement, cannon would derail almost immediately, so the only future knowledge I could rely on were the events the school would hold and how to use them to my advantage.

Yes, I needed to join the Friendship Club, a club dedicated to helping people form friendships.

The name was horrendous, but my name was unironically Cadence, I had little room to talk when it came to horrible names.

And so, with all the anticipation of sixteen years combined, I walked toward the twenty foot golden doors, forever sealing my fate to be intertwined with those Chosen by God.

Hopefully, I don’t regret it.

28