Chapter 13: Mission
230 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For a while, Kian fulfilled his duties as a bodyguard for Howard Stark while admiring how beautiful Howard's life was to potential killers.

During the month that Kian was Howard's bodyguard, there were over ten assassination attempts, and he saved Howard's life numerous times. Before Kian's arrival, Howard had survived several assassination attempts, and his personal bodyguard team had been wiped out in the process.

This was what led Howard to seek help from the US government.

Kian didn't know what Howard had done to attract such attention, but his job was to protect Howard's life.

............…

One day,

Howard angrily pushed to open the door into his office,  grabbing a bottle of red wine from the bar and pouring it down.

Kian followed him in and put his still-warm gun back in its holster. He said, "This is already the fifteenth time this month, my friend."

"These damn bastards!" Howard slammed the bottle and cursed, "They're just a bunch of cowardly rats hiding in the shadows!"

Kian said, "I suggest you relocate. It might be safe for you to be somewhere else."

Howard's face twitched as he realized something, but the phone on his desk rang, and he had to answer it. Kian couldn't hear what the other side was saying, but he could tell that Howard's expression was becoming more serious. Finally, Howard hung up and headed out.

Kian followed Howard to a secret base in Brooklyn, where he had been many times before in the past month. When they arrived at a large conference room, they found Colonel Philip and Agent Carter sitting there waiting.

In addition to them, there were also several people in suits with a strong political atmosphere. Even with a little observation, Kian could tell they were from the committee.

In such a large conference room, only four or five people were present. Kian became even more curious about what had made this meeting so confidential.

"Alright, Lieutenant Wayne is here. Let's talk about our next mission!" Unexpectedly, Colonel Philip's attention wasn't on Howard but on Kian. "Please take a seat, Lieutenant. We have a difficult task for you to take."

( The original name of the body is Jack Wayne, so from now on, I will address the MC, Jack)

Judging from the looks of these people, there must be a tough task that requires the most outstanding soldier like him to accomplish. Although he didn't know the task's details, he was sure it would help him get a promotion and a raise.

Suppressing his eager emotions, Jack sat down and looked straight at Colonel Philip with keen eyes.

"Well, let me briefly introduce you to the task at hand!" Carter picked up the folder in front of her and began to explain.

Jack's face turned pale as he listened, and he became increasingly surprised. He finally understood why Howard had been the target of such insane assassination attempts.

It was simply because he had joined a plan and, with his outstanding professional abilities, had become one of the project's leaders!

The reason why Germans wanted to kill him was to prevent the progress of the American project and buy time for their own weapon development.

This plan was called the Manhattan Project!

Yes, the famous Manhattan Project, the birth of the atomic bomb, and the most dangerous and lethal use of nuclear energy.

The Germans had actually started researching nuclear fission reactions a few years ago, but progress was slow.

When the Allied powers found out about the German plan, they launched the Manhattan Project, led by the United States, to bring together the best scientists from the Allied forces to research the possibility of using nuclear fission to make atomic bombs.

With the help of talented scientists like Howard, progress on the Manhattan Project was quick, which made the Germans feel threatened. So, the Germans accelerated their research and carried out assassination operations to disrupt Allied research.

These operations were successful, and many excellent Allied scientists were killed. The Manhattan Project was severely delayed. At the same time, The Germans successfully broke through the key technology of the uranium enrichment centrifuge, which can further refine enriched uranium to a purity of over 90%, weapons-grade enriched uranium.

What was even worse was that the Germans had a uranium factory located in the former Russian territory, and as of yesterday, the spies from the Allied forces who had infiltrated Germany had reported that the factory had finally produced enough high-purity enriched uranium - a whole 100 kilograms, with at least 70% purity!

This is a huge concern for the Allies. Jack knows they must act fast to prevent the Germans from using this uranium to make a devastating weapon.

Once this 100kg of enriched uranium is transported to Germany, it can quickly be also purified. At that time, the Germans might be able to build an atomic bomb.

But he was more concerned that this matter should have been top secret. Why was he informed? He was just a lieutenant!

However, Carter soon explained the situation to him. They needed someone to stop this batch of enriched uranium from reaching German soil. Because the operation was in the German-occupied zone, the number of personnel involved could not be too many, and they had to be the best.

Naturally, as a strategic scientific army unit that brought together the elite of the Allied forces, they were the absolute first choice!

Seeing that everyone in the conference room was looking at him, Jack first looked behind him to confirm that no one else was there, then turned around and pointed to himself, asking, "Me?"

"You are our best soldier and the first choice for this mission!" Colonel Phillip looked at him seriously. "The German defense lines have recently become increasingly strong, and we cannot send more people. Therefore..."

"Therefore, I have to complete this mission alone!" Jack shrugged. "No problem, just give me the time and location, and I can handle it!"

When it came to infiltration and assassination, When it came to infiltration and assassination, he was probably second to only Altaïr.

Okay, Lieutenant Wayne!" Colonel Phillip gave the order. "You will leave tonight, and we will have someone take you into enemy territory. Remember, the goal of this mission is to kill those people and destroy the enriched uranium!"

Okay, Lieutenant Wayne!" Colonel Phillip gave the order. "You will leave tonight, and we will have someone take you into enemy territory. Remember, the goal of this mission is to kill those people and destroy the enriched uranium!"

"Understood, sir!"

7