Chapter 21: Enlistment
222 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Actually, ever since arriving at the expo, Jack had been keeping his eagle eye open, constantly monitoring the exhibition at all times. With his current level of mental focus, his eagle eye could cover the whole park.

He also left a mark on Dr. Erskine to keep track of his whereabouts and condition. As a bodyguard, Jack couldn't just leave his client alone.3

Just a moment ago, he noticed several red figures enter the expo and head straight for Dr. Erskine! Hydra still has some schemes up on their sleeve.

Jack quickly rushed to Dr. Erskine's location, outside a recruitment station. He strangely discovered the old man hiding behind a billboard while Bucky and Steve were arguing nearby about something.

Jack sighed while also feeling a bit strange. 'Dr. Erskine wasn't so sneaky in the movie, was he?'

Without much thought, the three figures had already silently approached Dr. Erskin's surroundings, and the old man, who was intently spying, had not noticed.

Jack walked out of the nearby restroom, flicking the water off his hands as he walked towards the recruiting station. Approaching Dr. Erskine from behind, he tapped the man's shoulder, "Doctor, have you seen enough?"

"Wayne! You scared me!"

Startled, Erskin jumped and turned to look at Jack, patting his chest and complaining, "Do you walk without making any sound?"

"I think you just didn't hear me," Jack replied, pointing to Steve, who was walking into the recruiting office nearby. "Looks like you have a plan?"

"Yes! Exactly!" Erskin said, seeing Steve enter the office. "I need his information, very detailed information!"

"Alright, I'll take care of it."

It was easy to find Steve's information. With the intelligence network of the Strategic Science Army, they were able to dig up his details within 20 minutes of Jack making a phone call. The information was then sent to Jack in 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in the examination room, Steve's medical check-up was completed, and just as the doctor was about to mark "4F" on his form, Erskine made his grand entrance.

"You can leave now."

Erskine made go away from the doctor and looked at Steve, who was nervously waiting. Erskine didn't say a word but picked up Steve's medical form and started reading it.

Steve swallowed hard, not because of Erskine's pressure but mainly because Jack, dressed in military uniform, made him uneasy.

Steve had used a false identity to sign up for the medical check-up and enlistment. If he was caught, he wouldn't be able to go to the battlefield but would end up in prison.

"Can you tell me your real name?"

As Dr. Erskine flipped through the folder in his hand, he asked, "To be honest, I don't know which one is your real name."

Steve remained silent. In order to join the army, he not only falsified his home address but also frequently changed his name.

"Steve, Steve Rogers!" Steve replied

"Okay, Rogers, can you tell me why you want to join the army so badly? Do you want to go and fight those nazis?" Dr. Erskine said.

...…

Jack stood idly by, watching Erskine interview Steve.

"I don't want to kill anyone, I don't like bullies, I don't care where they're from."

Steve's answer made Erskine secretly happy. He knew that this was the person he had been looking for. After that, things were simple. Steve, who passed the interview, got what he wanted - a rating of 1A, the best level for military enlistment testing.

In other words, he finally enlisted!

Without mentioning Steve, who was holding his files like a dream, Dr. Erskine and Jack left the expo immediately after getting the paperwork stamped. Erskine had to contact Colonel Phillips.

The next day.

"What? They want me back?"

Jack had just finished dressing and washing up when the phone in the living room rang. It was Peggy calling to convey the committee's order: to transfer him back to the Strategic Science Corps as a training instructor for the Super Soldier program.

In other words, his career as a bodyguard was finally over.

As for Dr. Erskine's safety, after he left, there was no need to worry. The production of the Super Soldier serum is only a few steps away from completion. Erskine will be staying in the secret base of the Strategic Science Corps for research purposes and will not be leaving.

This is also the reason why Jack was transferred back.

After hanging up the phone, Jack quickly prepared himself, finished breakfast, packed his bags, and went to the Super Soldier training base.

After boarding a plane specifically waiting for him at the airport, the training base is located in New Jersey, in the south of New York State. It would take a whole day to drive, but only two or three hours by plane.

It was almost noon when they arrived at the training base in Fort Dix, New Jersey. To Jack's surprise, Colonel Phillips took time out of his busy schedule to greet him and Peggy.

"Colonel, I'm honored," Jack saluted with one hand while carrying his luggage with the other.

"You're back, and we're all here!" Colonel Phillips' stoic face lit up with a smile. As his most valued soldier, Phillips had never stopped feeling guilty for having Jack work as a bodyguard.

"Next, Agent Carter will share with you the current situation. You two will be the training instructors for the Super Soldier Program this time. We hope you will work together" Colonel Philip patted Jack's shoulder before leaving.

"Alright, Peggy, can you tell me about the current situation?" Jack said

"Let me take you to your room and explain on the way. Time is tight, and you need to start working today." Peggy replied

"Is it that urgent?" Jack asked worriedly

They got on a nearby jeep, and Carter handed him a training schedule.

"This is the schedule given to us. We just need to follow it and train those soldiers. The whole process will only take one week." Peggy said

"Hmm, I like it! It won't be too complicated." Jack

"By the way, when will those soldiers arrive for training?" Peggy

"They will arrive this afternoon. You can rest for an hour or two."

"Not bad" Jack said before he closed his eyes

5