0005 – Growing Pains
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ah, why is it so hard.”

I slam the blackboard down losing the bit of composure I always try to keep. Henri who sits opposite me with a different large tome and just shakes his head, then he says.

“Don’t worry, you just need to practice. You know how and for someone your age that is spectacular.”

I knew he was right. Since my birthday I had been allowed to learn and read as long as Henri was supervising. The library was locked so that someone doesn’t read something and gain an ancient curse or something.

I’d recently started practicing drawing again. The last time I had done so being college.

The reason why I struggle to learn writing now and had always been a reason for my lack-lustre performance in primary school where the same. For some reason they focus on Handwriting more then what someone actually learned. Because of my coordination issues growing up I was neither physical fit nor able to write neatly. By the time I entered secondary school I was bullied constantly and had learn to keep my grades just below average after multiple accusations of cheating which somehow came back as me being guilty by default.

I’m just glad that I managed to get into a blacksmithing course and complete my GCSEs at college. In my earlier life I had no friends from school only friends I made outside of it or the ones from college.

After I finished that I went on to do computer engineering at Uni and then joined a tech company where I worked for a few years before life gave me it’s last final push.

There was also that other thing that had happened. My face fell as I held back tears, but before I could breakdown, I heard the deep and smooth voice of Henri.

“Are you okay, Ash.”

I just raised my head as I forced a smile on my face and replied.

“Fine, just a little frustrated. That’s all.”

Since I started tutoring Lashonda, I’ve learnt he is a bright young boy with lots of potential.

However, there is something unsettling that happens whenever he gets frustrated. I don’t know what it is exactly, but I feel as if he has a dark cloud hanging over him whenever he gets like he is now.

He appears to hide it to the best of his abilities for what reason I shan’t know why. My most likely hypothesis is that he has a good magical talent and is unconsciously manipulating the mana around him.

All I can do I keep an eye on the boy and try to teach him to control his emotions as best he can.

A few days later, Henri finally told me what I had been dying to know. My father was originally one of many sons of a baron to the south. However, once his father died a few of his siblings conspired against him and he was kicked out of the family by the eldest brother. So, he then did the only thing a disgraced noble could do.

Join the royal army.

He had join at the right time. It was just a war with the neighbouring Mira empire began. It was brutal and last for about ten years. In that time my father had risen to the rank of a general with his now battle brother Barnabas, whom he had met a few years into the war. He had begun to teach him swordsman ship and later when my father receives the rank of marquess for his efforts, Barnabas had sworn fealty as a commoner to him for life.

Both Barnabas and my father where some of the most powerful, strength wise in the kingdom. Barnabas was in the top hundred and with my father being in the top ten even without any magic.

Once Henri had told me this, I understood why my father always had a hesitant expression whenever he played with us. It seemed mainly because he could kill us with a flick of his finger and with a bit of effort flatten the whole estate.

In fact, a few weeks ago my father had killed a demon that had spawn in the forests found in the northern parts of the march. It was apparently thrice the height of the manor which made it about forty-five metres tall.

Once I heard this, I asked about other powerful beings and he had went onto list a huge amount of people more powerful than my father in this part of the kingdom alone and that was not including figures of the past who pop up every now and again. Legend even has it that this continent the Gaia continent was once one mega continent connected with the Karasu continent to the northeast and now separated by the deep sea.

And the legend says that the continents were divided by a huge spell formation which cracked them in two created by a crazy which who killed millions to fuel it.

I shuddered. But this opened my mind to the possibilities of magic.

It’s interesting about succession laws. I don’t know how it works in other kingdoms but in this one it seems gender plays no role. I guess it makes sense. The slight differences between men and woman peter out when magic becomes involved.

A side effect of this is how the royal family is structured.

Like the oldest is the first Princess.

Then it’s then Second Prince

Then the Third Prince

Then the Fourth Prince

And finally, the Fifth Princess.

Interesting

I like the hills around the estate. The entire estate is apparently covered in a formation that wards off unwanted lower ranked beasts. As for demons the church apparently has a system in place to detect them. I doubt it is powered by some god but who knows.

I’m currently laying on my back on the side of a grassy hill watching the clouds. Back on earth whenever I just needed to unwind but didn’t want to do music or play games. I came outside and watched the clouds. The last few nights had been especially rough with anna’s fourteenth birthday bringing back a few memories. That’s the thing with eidetic memory. You remember stuff even when you don’t want to.

Next to me lies Celine. She has closed her eyes and is resting since she tried to watch clouds with me, but she soon fell asleep in the tranquility.

I’m still stuck in my seven year old body and even though I’ve been doing exercise I haven’t really gained a lot of muscle. Sofia now looks to be about thirteen or fourteen. I sit up and stare at her round face.

As if she can sense someone is staring at her, she opens her eyes, and her button nose twitches as she squints while her eyes adjust to the light.

“Why do you age slower than me?”

At my query, her eyes immediately go wide as a hint of fear appears on her face, but it soon leaves and is replaced with resignation a she sits up.

“Bec-cause, I’m a half-elf.”

She answers with hesitation as if hoping I wouldn’t pry any further.

“Oh, what kind?”

She appears hesitant to answer for a few seconds but then her shoulders slump as she responds in a mumbling tone.

“Night.”

My eyebrows raise as a smile appears on my face.

“Cool.”

I respond. I notice the look that was like she was bracing for a hostile response. I’d always guessed she was at least part elf due to her ears but didn’t realize that she was a rare Night elf.

“You don’t now hate me.”

I just tilt my head as I try to figure out what she meant. When I do, I just respond with.

“Oh, no. I think it’s neat.”

She just hesitates with now a look if shock on her face.

“But night elves are evil and they… and they.”

I just put a finger to her lips as she tries to justify why I should hate her.

“Shh… First of all, I’ve known you all my life and you’ve never done anything hostile towards me. Second, I’m pretty sure those are just stereotypes, and third I know that it took a lot of courage for you to admit that and it’s our secret. You’re my friend and if I told anyone they would make you leave.”

She just gained a slight smile as she lowered her head which turned slightly away from me.

“Promise.”

I just nodded before getting up and saying with a hand on my heart.

"I, Lashonda Michael ko Belmont Delius, promise to keep the secret entrusted to me by you. I understand the significance of the trust that has been placed in me. I will not disclose or discuss this information with anyone else without the express permission of you or under circumstances in which it is necessary for your survival. This vow I make on my honour and my integrity, and I will uphold it with the utmost respect and diligence."

She just giggled as I sat back down while she shook her head. She flopped back onto the ground as she let out a long sigh before whispering in a tone I almost didn’t catch.

“Thank You.”

Later when we had to leave, she got up and the wind blew. Her purple hair fluttered in the wind with the setting sun shining through the smile of pure contentment was stuck to her round cheeks and shining white teeth. Her deep green eyes were hidden by the squint she made as she smiled. Her small nose has a wrinkle appearing on the bridge as well.

I felt entranced for a split second, before I got up to follow.

“Uhhh…”

I Fucking. Hate. Growing Pains.

It felt as if there was something knowing away at my bones. It lasted for hours before finally subsiding.

 

2