Chapter 13 Inspired
78 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Playing with rocks... Wouldn't it be better to be doing something else?" murmured Rémy as he waited for Jeanne to run back to his house with her hands full of stones. His thoughtful and challenging gaze reflected uncertainty about diving into that peculiar game.

"Our pieces are here! I've practiced a lot, so I'm great at this game," said Jeanne, her eyes shining with enthusiasm as she carefully placed the stones on the ground. Each move was precise, as if she were arranging precious jewels on an imaginary board.

"What kind of game are we going to play? I don't know any that involves stones," commented Rémy, raising an intrigued but somewhat skeptical eyebrow.

Jeanne smiled confidently. "I'll explain. You and I will each pick a stone, and whoever hits the target more times wins. But that's not all! For each hit, the winner gets the privilege of saying something the loser must listen to attentively."

Rémy scratched his head, trying to understand the purpose of that seemingly simple yet meaningful game. His eyes met hers, curiosity mixed with a touch of restlessness.

"What do you plan to ask me if you win? I'm curious," Rémy asked, somewhat hesitant, trying to probe Jeanne's thoughts.

Jeanne looked up at Rémy with a mysterious expression, her eyes sparkling with enigmatic confidence. "I won't tell you anything. You'll know if I win," she said, her words laden with a sense of mystery. She got up and walked towards the door, the stones in her hands looking like little secret treasures she was about to reveal.

Rémy followed her, feeling a little dizzy as his feet touched the ground. To his surprise, he seemed smaller, his legs now shorter, and his fingers tinier. He looked at his soft, small hands, confusion flooding his thoughts. "Have I turned into a child?" he murmured, surprised by the sudden transformation.

Jeanne noticed Rémy's change and quickly rushed back to help him. "Ré! Wait, I'll help you!" she said, concerned about the unusual situation. But Rémy declined her assistance and managed to stand up, feeling strangely balanced and unsteady.

The two stepped outside the house, greeted by the dazzling light of the setting sun. Rémy frowned, trying to understand what was happening. "Is this really an illusion? Was everything I went through just a dream?" he questioned, still trying to make sense of the surreal events.

Jeanne was puzzled by Rémy's comment and responded with a confused look. "Dream? What are you talking about, Ré?" Her expression showed that she didn't grasp the situation and was trying to make sense of her friend's words.

Rémy shook his head, pushing the confusing idea from his mind. "Never mind, just thoughts in my head. Ignore it. So, when do we start playing?" He changed the subject, wanting to shake off the strangeness surrounding him and, at the same time, enjoy the moment with Jeanne.

Jeanne, excited about the game, momentarily forgot the strange conversation and handed a stone to Rémy. She arranged the other stones in a row, the wind playing with her hair, and spoke cheerfully, "Yes! Let's play!"

"I'll go first." Jeanne exclaimed, a glimmer of excitement dancing in her eyes. She held the stone firmly, as if about to face a great challenge. Her heart beat fast, eager to showcase her skills.

Her gaze focused on the target stone, a small point on the horizon that seemed to challenge her. With determination, Jeanne made a fluid movement and threw her stone with all the force she could muster. The wind whispered in her ears, as if rooting for her.

However, despite her confidence, the stone didn't hit the target as planned. Instead, it fell near the objective, leaving a trail of dust in the air. Disappointment threatened to settle in her heart, but she refused to let it dampen her spirit.

Next to her, Rémy couldn't resist teasing her, but in a playful and friendly manner. "You said you practiced; I'm starting to doubt your words. Were they all lies?" he joked, taking the opportunity to playfully taunt his friend with a mischievous smile on his lips.

Jeanne didn't want to admit defeat, but she couldn't help the blush on her cheeks. "I practiced, but the wind messed with my aim. Didn't you notice?" she replied, trying to justify the miss, but knowing deep down that she needed to own up to the mistake.

Rémy, always the joker, decided to take the fun further. "The wind is really strong. I think I'm being carried away by it! Jeanne, help me!" he dramatized, as if he were about to be swept away by the wind's whims. His tone was so exaggerated that even Jeanne couldn't help but laugh.

She scolded him playfully, her face as red as a ripe pepper. "Rémy, you're such a goof! But I admit... Okay, I made a mistake." Jeanne finally gave in, showing her humility in accepting the failure. It was hard for her, but Rémy's presence made her feel more comfortable being true to herself.

With an encouraging smile, Rémy looked at Jeanne and said, "It's okay, everyone makes mistakes. Now it's my turn!" He prepared for the throw, but not before giving one last mischievous look to Jeanne, maintaining their complicity.

With the stone firmly in his hand, Rémy gazed confidently into her eyes. Nothing could shake his determination, for he knew he wouldn't miss this time. With every muscle tense, he prepared his throw with precision and hope. The stone flew towards one of the rocks on the ground, but to his disappointment, it missed the intended target by far.

Rémy's heart sank into a pit of doubt. Disbelief overcame him, leaving him empty as if all the experiences he had lived were just a fleeting dream. He couldn't comprehend how everything he felt and experienced could be mere illusion.

"Was all of this in vain... just a mere daydream?" murmured Rémy as his emotions tangled in an internal storm. Confusion settled in his mind, and he questioned how he should feel, but found no answers.

But in this moment of desolation, a familiar voice cut through the air. It was Jeanne, his companion, and her tone laden with emotion drew Rémy's attention back to her. Jeanne pointed to the stone he had aimed at and spoke joyfully, "Look! You hit it, see? You hit it!"

Rémy blinked, perplexed not by the accuracy of his throw, but by Jeanne's surprising action. She had placed her own stone on top of the one he had aimed at, pretending that he had hit it. At first, he felt disconcerted, but when he saw that radiant smile on her face, even though it was based on a lie to please him, Rémy realized it was the most genuine and happy smile she could offer.

A deep feeling overcame Rémy in that moment. The certainty that no matter what happened, he would do everything to protect Jeanne. Inspiration seized him, renewing his determination. He vowed to himself that this time, he wouldn't let anything slip through his fingers. Whether dream or reality, he would face it all head-on.

"No matter if it was a dream... This time, for sure, I will protect you. I'll use everything at my disposal!" Rémy reflected, his eyes radiating resolute confidence. Each word echoed with unwavering conviction. He was determined to overcome all obstacles and write his own story, where destiny would be shaped by his actions.

6