Chapter 9 – The Getaway
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kalan keeps D'aliah's arm in a firm grip behind her back, causing her pain whenever she'd struggle. Behind them are the two escorts, leading the couple toward the dock.

“They will try to kill us,” Kalan whispers in her ear before peering over his shoulder.

“Hold my dagger with your free hand, but keep it to your neck.”

D’aliah holds the hilt of his blade in her hand as he lets go to grip her wrist instead.

“I’m hoping you will not kill me,” He says.

“I fail to see why I shouldn’t,” She barks.

"Because if you kill me, they will kill you."

"I'm the heir to Aagar of Valantis, they will not kill me!"

"I'm the heir to the Tutel Coprii." Kalan chuckles. "They most certainly will."

As they make their way past the large archway leading into the docks, the couple starts picking up the pace.

"What are you doing?" D'aliah asks, aching from the sudden movements.

He pushes himself and D'aliah a few steps forward before spinning the both of them around. Releasing D'aliah and drawing his other dagger.

"It's a shame my classmates would plan to stab me in the back," He says to the two escorts, who already have their weapons drawn.

"It is a shame our classmate has become a traitor," One of the Tutel Coprii responds.

"The last thing we want to do is kill our commander's heir," The other one adds.

"I'd rather not kill you. I order you to drop your weapons and leave,"

The escorts laugh as though they are used to Kalan's shenanigans.

"Do you see the boat at the far left side of the dock?" Kalan asks D'aliah.

"That's an ambassador ship," She responds.

"Yes, today we are ambassadors to Nihil. I need you to get it ready,"

"I'd rather not let you out of my sight," She replies.

"Seriously?" He sighs.

The two escorts sprint at the couple with their weapons raised, their eyes glossed like oceanic marbles, and their incisors extending into fangs.

Kalan is attacked by a short sword piercing towards his belly. He steps towards D'aliah, knocking her to the side as she is attacked by the second escort's spear.

"Watch yourself!" D'aliah yells, infuriated as her eyes gloss and her fangs extend.

She uses the momentum of the collision to step past the tip of the spear, charging at the escort to get in range. The spearman raises his arm and spins the center of the spear towards his hand, resetting it before she manages to get close enough. Now with the advantage, the spearman strikes the backend of the spear down at her head. She shuffles to the side, but not quickly enough. Her shoulder rings as her armor is dented by the impact, causing her to stumble from the pain and hit the ground.

The swordsman raises his short sword and strikes at Kalan's head. In response, he raises his dagger, holding it with both hands to sustain the impact. The swordsman's arm ricochets away, giving Kalan the space to connect a kick to the Swordsman's ribcage.

The spearman strikes the tip of the spear at D'aliah before she can get back up on her feet, prompting her to dive away from the attack and use the momentum of her roll to get back up. As she looks up she sees the tip of the spear reaching for her face, she stumbles backward reaching her blade up to guard her head.

Kalan leaps at the swordsman before he recovers and slashes his dagger at his chest. Grazing the swordsman's clothing as he parry's the attack. Kalan attacks again before the swordsman can get his footing, stabbing his blade toward him when the short sword pushes his danger away.

D'aliah shifts her head out of the way of another attack, attempting to grab the spear before the next attack. The spearman moves it out of reach, savvy of what she's trying to do before, and shifts his hand further up, shortening the range to use both ends of the weapon.

Kalan, now with his footing misplaced crouches to avoid the incoming counterattack. He then pushes himself at the swordsman's stomach, ripping a deep wound through the swordsman's clothing. The swordsman panics for a moment, stumbling away. This allows Kalan to cut the swordsman's wrist, disarming him before driving his blade into the swordsman's chest.

The spearman rotates his spear over his shoulder before clutching it and striking D'aliah across the face with the bladeless end. He spins the spear again and thrust the bladed end at her. She leans to the side but the blade slices through her armor, cutting a deep wound in the side of her arm. D'aliah yells in pain, hitting the ground before quickly trying to get up. The spearman hits the side of her head again with such force that her forehead whips against the ground. He raises the steel-tipped end to strike down at D'aliahs head but is stopped when Kalan tackles him to the ground.

Now on top of the swordsman, Kalan tries raising his dagger to the swordsman's throat. But he resists, using both of his hands to push against Kalans. Kalan releases all of his weight, forcing the defender's arms to overshoot. He pushes the swordsman's arms aside, brings the blade to his neck and slowly carves his blade from one side of the swordsman's neck to the other as the swordsman pushes against Kalan trying to retreat. Kalan keeps pushing his blade as a red sea parts from the swordsman's throat, washing the blade as the swordsman chokes. Goes limp, and drops his arms to the floor.

Kalan slides the end of his blade out of the swordsman's neck and heaves himself up to his feet. Stepping into a dark puddle as he does.

"D'aliah," He calls out, as she lies on the floor…

His legs buckle as he walks over to her, dropping down to his knees and checking her pulse. He lets out a deep sigh as he puts his arms underneath her and picks her up.

"Alchem the art of technology and the magic,"

- Freitus of Yanahar

"The Morcos are here to see you Ms. Adire," Tahira says, stepping into Irilene's suite.

"Let them in," She responds, as she stands up to greet them.

"Thank you for meeting with us, Empress." Says Mr. Morcos, wearing his royal blue commander's uniform with white inscriptions of their house accenting the outfit.

"Of course," she responds. "It's been quite a while since the nation's military family graced me a visit."

"It has been long,'' adds Mrs. Morcos as she hugs Irilene "Unfortunately, we have not made our journey with positive news."

"Ah yes," Irilene responds. "I believe your son is the one causing trouble this time."

"Precisely," Mr. Morcos responds. "He is currently being tried in Aagar, I'm certain he will be proposing a life trial."

"The chance of him losing to D'aliah in her current state is unlikely. As is the chance of him killing her," says Mrs. Morcos. "We are yet to receive word but we're quite certain he will be using this trial in an attempt to leave Valantis with his bond."

"How cunning," Irilene comments. "In the event they were to escape, where do you think they would go?"

Mr. Morcos walks over to the large globe resting in the center of the room, scanning the map in deep thought.

"I believe he is most likely to go to East Nihil," He responds.

"Are you certain? That doesn't seem to be a wise choice," Irilene asks.

"I believe our son was in contact with a high-born based in the region." Says Mrs. Morcos

"Is there a particular course of action you would prefer I take?"

"We do not. We came because we thought it best to inform you ourselves,"

"I appreciate your candor," Irilene says. "I will have a party sent to observe them once they arrive."

"Is it necessary for them to keep their lives upon arrival?" Ashera asks, stepping out from the bedroom of the suite in her royal furs.

"Ms. Adzana, it is wonderful to see you are well," says Mr. Morcos

"Please, call me Ashera,"

"I would prefer not to kill any Valantian heirs," replies Irilene. "I believe it necessary they keep their lives,"

"Kalan is of the most skilled Tutel Coprii. There would only be 5 other individuals that could potentially kill him," Mr. Morcos responds.

"The risk in an attempted assassination would not be worthwhile. However, we are prepared to denounce our son if for diplomacy," Mrs. Morcos adds.

"I will continue to observe the situation," Responds Irilene. "There is no need for any final decisions to be made at this time,"

"Understood, Ma'am,"

"In the meantime, Ashera and I will be heading to Bada to meet with the collective. Please update me once you receive the final word of his trial,"

"Yes, Empress," They respond, bowing subtly before turning to leave the room.

"And visit me more often," Irilene adds before they leave. "It will be important we establish good communications in the months to come,"

The Morcos' nod and Tahira guides them out of the suite.

"Are you ready to leave, dear?" asks Ashera.

"Yes," She responds. "Let's see what the collective has to say,"

"Tahira, please ready the airship,"

Tahira steps towards the suite's door, bowing her head to Irilene. "I will inform the pilots, ma'am,"

"A bond is selected and created by the Co'nitor, a Valantian prophet who embodies the soul of Luná," - The A'shic records

0