Only Crushed Hope
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: Home in Village Uri, South of Diptabhumi

Day: Healer of The Triad (First Day of Triad)

Year: Nivam, 6878 AFG

"He is a bastard," Hira yelled at Jakal.

"Wha—where did you learn this, young lady?" Eka admonished.

"Mimi say this. To Pupa." Hira said, glaring at Jakal and looking proud to get the first bad word.

"I'll see to this later", Eka gave Hira a stern look. 

Jakal tapped several points on the door frame. His lips pursed. He pushed a leg to come in. His leg was stuck in empty air as if jammed between two rocks. "Fine lady. Can you invite this person in? This person cannot get in, it seems." 

"You are so polite." 

Jakal blushed. "A gentleman never storms inside a lady's house. What did you take this person for? This person is a grown man."

"Grown? What are you, maybe sixteen?"

"Please invite this person in."

Hmmm. Eka rubbed her chin. She inspected the wood and was impressed by its quality. Blackwood, imported from Nei, the kingdom of deserts. It was a rare wood that grew near an oasis and was a national treasure. Modou's family was quite rich. If only the parents didn't die.

 Eka had written this family as any family in this village. It was a mystery how rich they got. Judging by the aged blackwood it spanned a good five generations back. 

It was a guarded secret that Eka as the administrator and a chosen group of special carpenters knew. Blackwood started as white as ash. It was during this stage carpenters had to do all their work. Once this started to turn grey it was done. No amount of force could penetrate the wood. 

"Mimi", Hira tugged at Eka's skirt and pointed to the wood, "protet. God."

"Does this wood have divine protection? No wonder this person could not come inside." Jakal whistled. "Fine lady. Invite this person fast. This person will never leave your side."

The earlier politeness was just a show. And I thought people change. "Hold on. You are bordering on creepiness. I will not invite you." Eka retreated a few steps back, relieved that something held Jakal out. It was this attitude of all players that she hated. They rushed into others' houses without warning. A gaming world did not excuse such behaviour. The home was home, be it a real or a virtual one. 

"Fine lady, this person will not harm you. This person takes the Oath of Hemara. This person swears", Jakal hurriedly reassured.

A pressure settled over Eka. Jakal visibly winced. "What is the Oath of Hemara? And no, I will not invite you."

"Fine lady. You don't know the Oath?" Jakal chewed his lips for a moment. "Did you get confused because you Awakened?"

Eka was caught off guard. "Yes. Yes. I Awakened." Eka chose to bite what was offered. Beggars can't be choosers. 

"This is bad. Fine lady, how much do you not remember? The Oath of Hemara is the agreement between two individuals, players and NPCs alike. Hemara, the Lady of Law, made this so lawless people can be trusted. The most affected are the oath-bearers." 

"Oh. But I still don't want to."

"Then do you not want to hear what this person has from Ms Devia?"

That's right! She needed to log out. She was so fascinated by the whole turn of events she forgot the reason. 

"Mimi?" 

"Hmm?" Eka faced Hira. Hira's eyes were damp and overly bright. 

"Mimi, go out?" Hira tugged Eka's skirt again. With her head down, she muttered, "Mimi, log out."

Eka froze. "You...you know about logging out?"

Hira tilted her head. Her expression never changed. Her eyes darkened like she was about to share the most guarded secrets of an underground cult. "Mimi, you say, Payers. Log out."

"Oh, did I ever say that? I must have thought out loud. Anyway, Hira, there is nothing like logging out. We are of this world."

Hira nodded. She sent a last glare at Jakal and tucked her head under Eka's neck.

Eka sighed. She jerked her head asking Jakal to come in. Jakal cheerfully stepped in, swishing his sword into empty air. The sword vanished, probably into his storage.

Jakal whistled, "A fine taste after a fine lady", indicating the lavish decor of the hallway. Though things were worn and aged, the maroon, brown and black decor screamed rich and rich. 

"Give this person a tour." He rounded to Eka who was following Jakal like he was the master and she, the servant.

"Mimi, no", Hira mumbled in Eka's ear.

"Eh, no."

"As you say."

At least he had some brain matter in that vacant skull of his.

"Say what I need and get lost."

"Fine lady, no need to be so rude", Jakal said, instantly putting Eka in shame.

"I'm sorry", Eka said stiffly, "but your attitude till now did not warrant an apology exactly."

"This person is sorry too. This person never had genuine friends. This person's parents are wealthy, you see. This person's dad is a designer at Kadak Games and Co. This person always had early access to Ira's codes. And so-called buddies took advantage. When this person got to know you, this person thought you were a good NPC and thought to protect you. Forgive this person if this person came too strongly."

Eka was speechless. She was irritated. She did not hate him. She might have come across as rude, but that was just her nature. She never expressed personal grievances, unless you ate her food. He did none, he just, maybe, was too overwhelming. 

"Jakal, I do not hate you. I have too much to think about. The Administrator is commanding orders upon orders and it is a headache to sort them out." Eka easily lied through her teeth. 

"You are an Awoken. So lifelike." 

Hira's body shook in Eka's arms. She was laughing. "Is everything amusing to you?" Hira nodded. "Okay. Keep quiet. I have many things to ask you later. Act as if you are sleeping." Hira did as asked. She lay limply and snored for added effect. She was truly a born actor.

"She is so cute. It is rare to see a child NPC in this village. And you live practically in the forest. Is it not scary?"

Rare to see a child? Eka mentally noted to investigate this matter later. "So, about the reason, you came."

"Ah, Ms Devia. She refused. She said she is informed about the mission. Just like you said the administrator changed things, she said, she hopes for a better change."

Was it possible to have multiple mood swings in only a couple of hours? Disbelief, grief, loss, pain, anger; everything mixed and churned inside Eka. Grief was the first thing that struck her hard. Sobs racked her being. Hira was startled awake. She was dozing

Mentally ill was a great excuse to give when one experienced mood swings. PMS and pregnancy were too. So, when one had neither of those what did people call them? 

Disbelief, loss, hopelessness, and shock whooshed through her like a freight train. A gong of sorrow struck her hard. She stifled her sobs as she tightened her grip on a yawning Hira. 

"Mimi?" Hira patted Eka on the head. "Mimi. No cry." She kissed Eka on the cheeks and murmured condolences.

"Aww…"

Both aunt and niece turned to scowl at the boy. Jakal raised his arms and retreated. 

Eka was in no mood to entertain anyone. How a visitor needed permission to enter the house, she deduced she can also disallow someone from the house. With a flick of her wrist she said, "Jakal, you may see yourself out. Or best just log out."

"But—", An invisible force grabbed Jakal by his collar and dragged him out of the house. When he was safely deposited a foot away from the doorframe, the heavy blackwood doors shut themselves. " Fine lady, this person will not trouble you. Fine lady…" 

Eka wandered into a room. Hira opened and closed her mouth and shook her head. It was the wrong room. Eka took no notice of it and slid into the bed. Hira joined her and the pair went to sleep.

0