Chapter 7: Maybe We’re Just Weak?
394 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Why this, of all things? I just came back exhausted, and now this? 

Urk… 

Just when I reunited with my brother too…. This is the worst! 

I stared at the bladed creature as I gulped. It was an intense feeling, and my blood was boiling. And my head? Not so cool….

Okay… deep breaths, Julia, deep breaths. 

I focused and drew the bow, but… in that instant, the monster noticed my aggression and appeared before me.

….! Not like this! 

But… before it could slash me, Aska pulled me back just in time as he splashed water on it, instantly freezing it in place. 

However, it wasn’t enough, as it broke free and turned to him instead. 

To my surprise, Aska dodged it skillfully. 

…His other eye is glowing…. Wait, there’s no time for that!

I pulled myself together, taking distance, and the other two I dragged with me had gathered some people to back us up. 

I concentrated energy in my hand, creating an arrow made out of light, and drew my bow. 

Aska, dodge!” I yelled and released the arrow. 

...!” 

Aska quickly noticed and was fast on his feet, dodging the arrow as it spits into many smaller ones—however, the monster did something incredible. 

“No way…!” 

With its limbs, it had deflected or shredded every light arrow. 

But then, orbs of fire surrounded it and exploded, sending Aska flying in the air. And luckily, Erika had made a forcefield protecting him from the blast.  

I glanced at Miss Hilda as she seemed nervous about accidentally hitting him. As she then ran forward to catch him. But Aska pushed her away so that she wouldn’t be close while he distracted the monster. 

…What am I doing standing still!? 

Focus, Julia, focus! 

I focus my energy on creating a lightning arrow while everyone distracts it with magic… though… I wish the melee fighters could go in and do something….

But… it can’t be helped since that thing is too much for them to face head-on. 

Still, Aska is crazy for fighting in melee range like that…. 

As I fully charged my arrow, everyone put up a barrier around themselves, they knew this attack was going to cause a massive explosion, and that’s why. 

Aska! Get as far away as you can!” I cried. 

Our eyes met briefly, and he gave me a soft smile as he splashed the monster with water while everyone used whatever they had to bind it in place. 

Lighting arrow [Plasma Beam!]

As I released the arrow, Aska had already dashed, but… he grabbed Miss Hilda, throwing her further away from the attack area. 

I couldn’t help but smile….

….Look who’s playing hero….Though…. That’s just like you…..

— :::: — 

Shit, is she trying to kill me!?! 

What’s up with that lightning magic? Like hell, it melted the area around the damn thing—are you kidding me!? It’s alive?! 

It was approaching me, and very fast at that! 

Well… maybe not for me specifically, since [Eye of Concept] does help with reaction, but… I only realised this when it attacked, and I’m also well-rested now…..

‘Tsk…’

Why does it look uninjured…? 

Gosh, this thing sucks, for us, I mean! 

Ahh… I don’t want to die…. 

Huh!? 

Miss Hilda, why are you running toward me again!? 

As I panicked, the monster had its blade straight for me, but I managed to dodge it just in time by using water to propel me backwards. 

However… as if it had predicted my moves, its leg flew toward me at such high speed, making a screeching sound as it cut through the air. 

Ahh, R.I.P….. 

….Huh? 

It missed. Ah… Ohh! 

Taking this chance, I jumped back. I looked at Isak as he was sweating and had turned the earth in such a way that made the monster lose its balance, shifting its central gravity and making it miss. 

Thanks!” I yelled. 

Idiot, don’t celebrate yet!” Julia screamed as she fired more arrows at it. 

And as I was airborne and flying backwards, Miss Hilda caught me in her soft embrace. 

…Gosh, why am I so conscious of her? 

“Are you okay?” she asked, looking worried. 

“Yeah, somehow….” I said, looking at the monster from a distance. 

It was stuck in a mud trap and is slowly sinking as others bind it with veins, pulling it down. 

This is my chance… 

I made a drill-like icicle, compacting it as much as possible and giving it as much rotation as I could. Miss Hilda seemed to know what I was doing and used wind magic to reduce the friction, making it spin even fast as she then made a path for the charged-up attack. 

With this little resistance, it should cause a great deal of damage!

I released the water bubble filled with pressured gas to send away the rotating projectile. 

I hope this works! 

However… it was more pressure than I had imagined as it broke through the barriers surrounding Miss Hilda and me, sending us both backwards as I broke one of my arms and scorched away some skin. 

Ouch!

“...I’m sorry. Are you okay?” I asked as I tried to get off her, but… it appeared that my arm wasn't the only broken bone I had….

Miss Hilda was the one who took most of the hit since she’d caught me. She gasped for air, trying to respond, which resulted in her coughing some blood.

She instead shook her head and pointed toward the monster. 

I had blown off half of its body, and it was lying unresponsive and sinking into the mud. But… what concerned me was that it was bubbling…. 

Shit… that’s not good, is it? 

It was regenerating itself and slowly got up.

Shit! Was this the reason Julia’s attack failed!? 

I glanced over at the others, and they seemed exhausted as they slumped down on their knees. Even Julia, who seemed more resilient, was down on her knees, gasping for air. 

The monster got out of the sinking mud and glared at me. As it slowly made its way toward me, with its creepy pale face and morphed features.

It smiled….. 

…I’m completely drained and can’t move… dammit all!

And as I was cursing myself, Miss Hilda hugged me from behind and smiled softly, “ye-r wa’rm,” she tried to say something as tears flooded her eyes. 

This feeling… it's so painful… seeing her like this. 

….I fell in love, didn’t I? 

She was just nice to me… and I’m this easy….? What a great time to realise it, you idiot…. 

I leaned back and grabbed her hand, saying, “You’re a little cold though….” 

She softly smiled and started giggling as tears ran down her pretty face. 

Although I wasn’t directly looking, I could tell from [Eye of Concept] that the monster raised its blade-like arms. 

I took this opportunity to see how everyone was doing, and I could see Julia in tears, screaming. 

Looks like she’s been crying for a while… my hearing… got bad in that explosion… didn't it? 

….?

Who?

…who? Is the person hovering above us? 

When I was looking around with [Eye of Concept], I saw a man with eyes that shone blue and hair that blended in with the night. 

Ahh… what does it matter…. 

Or so I thought…. 

When the monster attacked, it got repelled by some sort of blue force field…. Everyone was surrounded by that forcefield. 

I stared at the man as he descended, he looked at me, and his eyes were cold. It was chilly, really… not human at all…. 

Mmm, it’s been weakened. You did well holding on,” the man said, pulling out a sword. 

However, the moment he drew his sword from the sheath. I felt my breath shorten as I wasn’t able to take away my gaze. It was a beautiful sword, but the amount of pressure it radiated made some of my classmates faint. 

It felt intoxicating.  

Even the monster that had relentlessly attacked us slowly backed away as it fully spirited for its dear life, trying to escape from the man. 

But it was too late. It was stuck in one of his barriers. For some reason, he put back his sword and glanced at me. 

…I-I can breathe again….. 

“...Slow and agonising or instantly?” He asked. 

…He’s asking me?

Despite his expressionless cold look, I felt some emotion behind his words.

“...P-please… just… kill it,” I replied weakly. 

As much as I want it to torment… I don’t want to see that thing…..

“As you wish,” the man said, turning his attention to the monster. 

Then… blue light covered the whole barrier. The surroundings around the barrier couldn’t withstand the heat as everything around started to melt from the intense electrical energy. 

….What? What the hell? 

“.....” 

…..Woow…. This guy…. He made it look so easy….

I feel frustrated… of course, I am… but… damn… maybe we’re just too weak? 

12