Chapter 28: The Calm and Elegant Moon
51 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the small camp where everyone was celebrating and having a somewhat conflicting time. 

Yes… 

As in; great… I’m sort of regretting it, maybe…? 

Honestly, I can’t really blame them since this was a very tough exercise compared to what we’re used to—that is, sparring against one another. 

Real combat, however, proved to be… well… at least some of us had prior experience. But never really confronted anything beyond E-3. 

And the beasts and abominations back in magical woods were… weaker than the current ones, at least not counting the abnormalities we encountered. 

Back then, I was sort of getting by with stealth and trickery—which was me running around and giving my foes a concussion… 

Hey… it worked! 

Now that I’m fighting in a group, I guess I’ll have to have to depend more on the others. Previously, all that I could depend on was myself. But then again. I was also way more picky about my fights. 

And now, I have more things in my arsenal, and I know more about the world. It does make me feel less cautious. Then again, that goes for the others as well. 

However… after the fight we had with Nejol, I came to realise that… we really can work together! And that I was more of a DPS than I thought. Or at least an enabler since I can get Isak into good positions. 

We’ve also been utilising Hilda a bit wrong since the first fight. We concluded that her potential as a long-range spell caster came in handy when it came to crowd control and terrain alteration. Like… she fits the role of a control mage who alters terrain, but… she can also really hurt, like what happened to the Gosak we first fought. 

And honestly, I can find little to no fault in what Julia is doing… like… she’s capable of cc'ing and can deal significant damage…. 

If we were in a real fight. Like… to kill rather than hunt. I bet Hilda and Julia would be able to disintegrate most low-level mobs. 

And… Isak isn’t really a tank. We just have none, and honestly… he’s kinda dressed like a tank but built like a glass cannon…. 

Did that make any sense? 

Like… sure, some of his are damage nullifications, but how long does that last? Not that long, and in my opinion, a tank should be able to take damage consistently and still be fine. 

I think he realised this as well, and that’s why he’s dodging way more rather than a direct confrontation like deflecting. 

And as for me… I feel like my role isn’t that clear, sure… it could be a scout. But is that really it? I can pretty much do anything the others can due to the flexibility of water magic and all my other skills. 

Although I don’t have the best initial mana range. I can extend it. And since water is my only attribute, I only have to learn water spells and refine them. 

Not only that, I have the highest mana capacity out of any of them, so I’ll be the one to use items, such as the healing capsule. 

And I’ll be blunt… I do feel slightly more confident about my own skills now—not the actual talents, but… capabilities? Sure, I don’t have an abundance of options like the others. But I’m agile, have a lot of mana, and can instantly cast most spells. 

…I really do feel relieved that I’m not dragging them down. 

So… when I was thinking about all that and looking up at the sky—rather, floor ceiling? Uuh… perhaps that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. But never mind that… it doesn’t really matter. 

Still… even down here, the stars and the moon is far more beautiful than back home. I’d assume that the night sky wouldn’t change so much. After all, I’m still on a planet, even if it’s another world. 

Yet… I don’t find that to be the case at all. Since there were so many stars and nebulas visible to the naked eye, I could see the galaxy. 

I’m sure a similar sight exists back home. But… not where I was. In a big city with bright and vibrant lights. It was difficult to see the stars—due to the light pollution and all. 

…I do miss home. And the beauty of this world and home is… well. They have their own appeal. Like… there are a lot of things running on magic in this world. Some on electricity, but that’s barely a science people of this world play with. 

I do find that to be a pity since I miss that aspect of home. It was convenient, but so is the magic stuff here—however, in a different way. It just sort of makes me miss home when I make a comparison like that. 

‘Sigh’ 

“...why the heavy sigh?” someone suddenly asked. 

Right… 

I had snuck out and was sure nobody followed me. I found this massive tree and decided to just chill on a branch. And since I can easily detect beasts and abnormal things. I do feel rather safe. Not only that, the creatures here aren’t as bad as they could’ve been. 

Yet… 

I still didn’t even sense that Princess Luna was sitting beside me, reading a book at a time like this. 

She’s about my age, well… eighteen and only a year older. Yet… somehow, she feels mature, despite her short stature. 

Okay… I do admit I’m relatively short as well, ahem… at 168, I do feel short as a guy in puberty… yes, I’m still in puberty. Otherwise, how am I still this short!? 

Heh… at least Julia is shorter, but… Princess Luna is shorter than Julia… well… her mature aura makes up for it. I guess. 

...were you thinking something rude just now? And why haven’t you answered my question?” she inquired in a calm yet sulky manner. 

Right… I still haven’t replied…. 

HUH!? 

Wait, why is she here!? 

Uu-umm… Princess Luna!? Why are you here!?” 

“...a bad somebody snuck out,” she said while turning her gaze away from the book to me. “Why do you think I’m here?” she later inquired while staring into my soul. Not literally, I think… 

‘Gulp’ 

I don’t think I need to say this, but… she really is pretty, with her black and silver hair, and her eyes look like the moon itself. 

I mean… she’s the proud Princess of an Empire…. 

Yet… I do feel slightly guilty. Guilty for thinking so, but… I can’t help it. She’s another worldly beauty. 

But… she’s in the same boat as Saint Amethely. I do think they’re very pretty—but that’s about it. And I really shouldn’t feel guilty about it. Yet I can’t help it. Even if I don’t romantically feel anything for them. I’m afraid that it would hurt Hulda and Julia…. 

Or… am I wrong? 

I know many would say I am, and it’s completely different, however… I’m inexperienced and really confused.

Well… better not think too deeply about it. Otherwise… it won’t get me anywhere. But back to the subject at hand. 

“...sorry, I wanted some… alone time,” I apologetically said. 

“And you snuck out without telling anybody?” 

.....I perhaps should’ve done that…. 

Not sure how to reply to her question. I sat there in silence. I know it was rude since she came all this way. And it was dangerous for an inexperienced combatant such as I to be alone here….

I’m not entirely sure why, but Princess Luna placed her hand on my head and started to pat me… 

It took me by surprise. But… she’s oddly similar to Brother Al. Rather… they’re so similar in their demeanour and all. I could imagine them being a couple—wait… that’s rude to Saint Amethely. But… family, perhaps? 

“I know you need alone time, but… a beautiful girl like you shouldn’t wonder alone at night like this. It’s dangerous, and you never know. Believe it or not. Beasts and abominations do actually prefer attacking pretty people first.” 

…right… I’M A GIRL! WOOOHOOOO, A PRETTY GIRL—EXCEPT I’M NOT! 

Huh… wait… she does know I’m a guy… is… she telling a joke? 

And… I’d be correct, “Pff…” as Princess Luna started to chuckle. “What’s with that sour look on your face? Cheer up. I’m not lying when I say that they prefer attacking pretty people.” That sure reassured me…. “But then again. It can be subjective,” she said with a light shrug. 

So that was a joke! How am I supposed to tell with that poker face of yours!? 

“I already know you were a boy, but… I couldn’t help it since I think you’re so pretty,” Princess Luna casually said with a soft smile. 

She was… oddly blunt. I thought, but… well, I suppose that’s just how things are. Maybe—should I cut my hair? I only saved it because it was pretty fun to dress up in many styles. 

—Ugh… hell no! I’m not cutting it. I love my hair! What a dumb thought! 

Ahh… well, I think you're prettier, Princess.” 

“No need for flattery,” she softly said, looking indifferent as she always does. 

“...I really am not flattering you….” 

“Mm, in that case, thank you, but you should save that for Miss Julia and Miss Hilda,” she casually said while softly giggling. 

“...thank you, I will. And… I’ve been meaning to ask—how did we do?” 

Perhaps she won’t understand when I ask out of nowhere. But… “I think your group did great. Though the first one was a bit disastrous, you managed to beat a pretty tough Nejol. That one was an E-4. Good job,” she said while continuing to pat me. 

…I know the urge to pat is strong, but… ah… heck, I don’t mind. It feels like Brother Al is patting me, so… it feels reassuring rather than… anything else. 

“...I see, so it was an E-4 and not 5. But thank you… it makes me happy to hear that!” 

“You’re welcome,” she said. And in that instant, I was back in my tent. And the first thing in my sight was Julia sleeping while tightly hugging Hilda. 

…why are you two in my tent? And where the hell is Isak!? 

1