Chapter 32: Lovers Reunion Part 1
134 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Hilda and Aska went out to make a meal for us, I kept Isak some company, as he said he still felt tired.

He hasn’t eaten anything for the past three days. So it only made sense.

“…say, Julia… how did it go? Without me, I mean,” Isak suddenly asked.

“Fine, I guess,” I bluntly replied. “We only hunted weaker and smaller beasts, though,” I added.

“I see. I’m relieved that you guys aren’t hurt,” he replied with a grin.

…says you. You passed out for three whole days? It wasn’t just Aska who worried, you know? 

Despite my short time of knowing Isak—rather, I did know him a little since before. And Hilda, for that matter, but I wouldn’t call us close.

Yet… That’s different this time around.  

I, at first, saw him as nothing but an annoyance who always hung out around Aska and was oddly flirtatious for no apparent reason.

Yet he says he’s not gay…

And only recently, I’ve come to learn that he was more reliable than he seemed. I could still remember his demeanour change that day. Which, unlike the jester’s mask he always had on, was a cold decisive and domineering person.

I honestly felt a little scared at that time, but he can be oddly sarcastic, but not in a mean way.

By the way, Julia…” Isak suddenly said.

Isak usually doesn’t beat around the bush like this, as he just states what’s on his mind. Yet he hesitated to ask.

Why was that?

“Yes? What is it?” I hesitantly replied.

“…why would a girl suddenly break things off?” he unexpectedly asked.

I felt speechless as I couldn’t imagine that this was what he’d ask and couldn’t help but utter, ‘…what?’

“I mean…. Why would a girl suddenly want to break up?”

…girl? Wait what!? What is he talking about!?  

“Isak, you… did you—”

“Before that, can you answer the question?” he asked.

“…well, it depends. I, for one, have never dated anyone—I’ve loved Aska all my life, after all.”  

“Oh, nice one, brocon Julia. I just needed that reminder,” Isak teasingly commented. “Regardless, you said “it depends”. What could those reasons be? Like… I never cheated nor went behind her back—I thought we liked each other…” he later said with a darkened expression.

“There are plenty of—”

“…..”

As I was about to say that, there were plenty of reasons, Isak’s expression turned darker, and he clenched his fists.

Oops, poor wording.

I-I didn’t mean it like that!” I flusteredly expressed. “I-I mean, the reasons may not even have anything to do with you!

But… seeing him like this. How do I say it? It felt strange since I thought he was a more…

“Do you mind if I ask?” I abruptly asked. “I mean… why did you ask this all of a sudden? Also, you had a girlfriend and weren’t actually going for my brother?”

Isak looked at me with a blank expression. “Did you and Hilda seriously think I swung that way?”

“No… but, you know? Aska is cuter than most girls? So—”

Hmm~ does that mean you and Hilda swing that way?” Isak teasingly asked.

N-No! Geez, you idiot! I was trying to be serious here!” I retorted.

My face was probably red, full of mixed emotions, not knowing how to handle all of this.

But that begs the question.

Why did he ask me?

…perhaps he figured I’ve lived trying to rid myself of these emotions I hold for Aska. Is that why?

“A-Anyways, you had a girlfriend? What was her—" 

But before I could finish asking what her name was, Isak’s eyes widened and stared at the entrance.

There were Aska and Hilda with people I didn’t recognise.

F…Freja…?” Isak utterd.

…huh? Wasn’t she the popular girl in the next class?

— :::: —

“—this is Alum Miller, my bestie from college, and I’ve always wanted to introduce the two of you!” my brother said as he introduced me to a handsome guy with golden eyes.

…so this was the guy he always told me about over the phone… he’s better looking than I expected.

But…

“Nice to meet you, Freja,” he calmly said.

…I could tell he was a rather dull guy, despite his looks. He doesn’t seem very social.  

And yet—

“Al!” the saint said and hugged his arm.

…seriously? He’s your type? But… I can kind of tell why. With a gentle smile like that…

—Isak didn’t smile a lot, but… when he did, my heart would flutter.

I thought I was special to him and that he only smiled like that toward me. Yet, I saw a picture of him with another girl, gently smiling as they chatted in a café meant for couples… or… well, frequent by.

I tried confronting the girl, of course… but she was too cold-looking, and it was difficult to approach. Of course, I sneakily asked Isak about other girls, but he’d always deny everything about anything with girls.  

None of my friends knew about us, and at that time, we’d only started dating. I wanted to tell my friends. Some were eyeing him as well. But when they took that picture of him, I almost burst into anger before realising I was shocked, seeing another girl so happily by his side.  

Then, Noel suddenly said, “Also, there’s another person I want you to meet,” breaking my thought.

And before long, there was a girl a little shorter than Noel. She was mature looking, and with her ash brown hair and lush green eyes, she said, “Sorry for being late.”

She looked at me with sharp eyes, and there was some tension in her gaze, “…why’s there a lich walking in these streets?” she suddenly asked.

Huh…? She could see through the perception amulet…?

“Sis, you don’t have to worry about it!” the saint said.

Noel also joined in by saying, “That’s… my sister. Sorry, I wanted to surprise you two…”  

Seemingly panicked, the girl looked back and forth between me and Noel.

H-Huh!?” she exclaimed.

“Fjrea, this is Chely, my girlfriend. Chely, this is Freja, my sister,” he proudly said with a big smile.

…a few hours ago, you were bawling your eyes out seeing me…. And now you’re introducing me to your girlfriend…?

Chely looked at me and started to apologise, “I-I’m sorry! I didn’t know, and… you were radiating some ominous mana… so I thought that you might’ve snuck inside the city borrowing a high-level perception amulet....”

…now that I take a closer look, she wears armour under her jacket…?

“Ahahaha, sorry, Elly, I wanted to surprise you!” Noel said.

Suddenly, before I could even react as if she had teleported, she’d grabbed Noel by the collar.  

…huh?

Yet, that wasn’t the strangest part of all this. In fact, she was blushing and shaking.

Is she… having difficulty deciding to be mad or embarrassed…?

“I-If you’d told me, I would’ve made a better impression than frightening her! Noel, you dummy!”

You’re frightening me right now, though!?

But as Chely was shaking him in the air, like… woman has some crazy strength. He just laughed it off and said, “Ahaha, your reaction is always the best!”

…did my genius brother lose his brain cells…? 

I glanced at the others in the vicinity, and I could tell by their laughs and giggles that this was a normal sight for them.

But… I always thought he dated Mi-chan… did they break up?

My emotions are a little strange. I honestly would’ve burst out in anger. If it was the old me. But now I’m angry and calm at the same time.

“…Noel, I thought you dated Mi-chan… where is she?”

“Oh… Miu’s resting. She used too much mana on an expedition, and she’s not in a condition to mee—”

You know she’s frail! Why aren’t you by her side!?” I cried. Tears were flooding my eyes. Why wouldn’t they?

She was like a sister to me, and I even thought that one day, she’d become my real sister!

Even if you guys broke it off, she’s still your close childhood friend! Or did you break that off as well when you arrived in this new fantastical world of magic!?”  

The previously light mood soured as I kept yelling. I know that I’m in the wrong for doing this. But I can’t help it.

First, he went missing. Then I’m in a strange new world. Now this!? What am I supposed to do!?

Then… I felt a light slap on my face. It was the guy with golden eyes who’d slapped me.

“Calm down,” he assertively said.  

“Hey, what—”

Slap

And he slapped me again. It was so shocking. Why would he do this? 

Before I knew it, that was all that was on my mind. I became afraid of this man and squinted my eyes, expecting a third one.

But Noel's hand grabbed his. ”Al… please, stop. I know what you’re trying to do. But… please.” 

The girl named Chely was also speechless, and the saint was holding his hands with a saddened look on her face.

“Al… please, let Noel handle it…” she said.

The guy didn’t say anything to the others, glanced at me and said, ”I apologise about that,” before asking, “Have you calmed down?”  

I felt so shocked. Yet I felt calm…. And he slapped me with an expressionless face… what the hell is this guy?

“I-I’m sorry as well,” I said to everyone.

“I’m glad,” the guy said. “Liches have suppressed emotions and can handle most things but are generally emotionally unstable,” he later added.

…is that why I feel in control sometimes and out of control at other times…?

“…then, would you’ve slapped sense into me as well if I were to get out of control…?” Noel asked.

The guy shrugged and then said, “No, but I’ll beat the living sense into you,” in a calm manner.

I think this one scares me more than his new teleporting girlfriend…

T-Then, would you slap me…?” the saint suddenly asked.

And immediately, the guy said, “No.”

I-I see….

…girl, why do you look so disappointed…? Wait, you’re a saint, right!?

But as things calmed down, and I told them about wanting to thank the one that saved me, Alum apparently knew the person.

And… she was a he…

0