Chapter 35: Lovers Reunion: Part 4
57 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, Isak, that idiot…why didn’t he tell me? he had a girlfriend and hid it?

…seriously, had I known, maybe this wouldn’t be a misunderstanding.  

However, there could be a possibility of her lying. Though… I want to believe she is not.

—I could tell that Isak was somewhat lonely.  

I…didn’t want to say this myself. But the dynamic in our group is very unbalanced. I kid you not.

Though… he did seem to have gotten along with Julia as of late—he was scolding her.

something I couldn’t bring myself to do…

…I honestly had a thought. And I know it’s disingenuous to Julia’s feelings.

But…

Perhaps if I chose Hilda, she could get over me and start over with Isak. I mean…he is an attractive guy.

Yet…when I look at this girl, I feel pity. I couldn’t save her—even though she just thanked me.

I don’t know how Isak feels about her. But I could tell that she liked him a lot.

“I’ve heard a little from Alum… I-I want to join you guys!”

I stared blankly at her. Join us? You basically woke up and had no training at all—

Are you trying to have us killed?

I-I’m not! I know some self-defence and, and…”

I glanced at Noel, who had a surprised look. He sighed and said, “Sure, but what about it, Freja? This world is very different—you even died once,” Noel coldly said.

…it appears that he was hearing this for the first time as well.  

Freja’s shoulders slumped as she looked at the ground. “…I promise not to be a hindrance,” she meekly said.

I feel bad for this girl. I sure do.

But.

“I’m sorry, you can’t join us. First and foremost, you know basically nothing of this world. You lack any sort of experience when it comes to combat. Most important of all. I don’t know if Isak can work with you.”

“…..”

“You might’ve been a couple at one point in time, but Isak has changed a lot. Not only that. The way you broke up with him was quite terrible. You don’t seem to have properly communicated things to him, which is why that ended up being the case. Of course, Isak is to blame here, too, but. You know? I’m on his side no matter what.”

Suddenly, Hilda pulled my sleeve. “Aska…” she murmured. “Can you at least let her speak to him? Have them talk it out? And…perhaps let Julia have a fair fight?”

!?!?!?

Did she know…?

“But having her join is—”

“I can train her,” Noel said out of the blue.

I wasn’t the only one surprised. Freja seemed more so than me.

“Sure, my sis is a little stupid, can’t properly communicate, sloppy and easily misunderstands, hides her feelings because she doesn’t want others to get hurt or get hurt herself. But…I do think she’s a good kid. I want to support her in any way I can—it’s her life. But I also know that you’re reluctant to take her in, no? If combat and her relationship with your friend is all that’s on the list, it shouldn’t be a problem once those things are resolved, right?” 

“…sorry? But… I don’t even know your abilities.”

“Want to try me?” Noel confidently said.

His eyes were cold—much like Brother Al’s. But unlike the indifference, it was determination.

‘Gulp…’

“…no thank you,” I reluctantly replied.

I already saw this guy’s mana. Even though it wasn’t remotely close to Brother Al’s, I knew this guy was a monster in another way.

‘sigh’

“Fine, you can have a talk with Isak and… If he’s willing to give you a chance. I will as well.”

—I had no choice. I couldn’t save you, after all.

 

— :::: —

 

I couldn’t believe my eyes.

The girl in front of me was someone I could never mistake. Even if she looked way different, I could still tell it was her.

Her eyes, her hair… They’re different.

The mood in the tent was awkward, and everyone had left us alone. Freja slowly walked towards me and asked, “Are…you okay?” in a hushed tone.

He was usually more expressive and playful, yet shy. I knew these sides of her, but… I only ever see her at times. Other times, she’d run from me, avoid me.

In the end, I never knew why she broke up with me.

Honesty… I kinda don’t wanna know.

“I’m fine,” I casually replied.

—I don’t want to show her how pathetic I’ve become.

“…I see.”

“……”

“…can… I sit?” Freja asked as she glanced at the chair beside the bed.

“…go ahead.”

The silence enveloped the tent yet again, and the chatter outside was the only thing that could be heard.

It has been so long since we last spoke…

“—I’ve met Aska,” Freja suddenly said.

Aska? Why did she bring him up?

“I see…?”

“He’s nice, isn’t he? Cute too. Looks a bit girly, perhaps, but… I didn’t know.”  

…didn’t know what?

What does she want to convey?

I could feel my chest clamp, and I unconsciously clenched my fists. I was already trying to be as calm as possible now that we see each other again. But… she now talks about another boy? —Calling him cute?  

What the hell?

“So? What about him?” I coldly replied. “Go ahead. Two girls are already competing. Why not a third one?”

Freja shook her head.

“I like you.”

…..

She what? SHE LIKES ME!?

What bs is this?

“What are you saying after all this time? You like me? What a joke! 

Freja looked hurt and had a sad expression on her face. She looked down and clenched her hands close to her chest while tears started to run down her face.

I’m sorry for still liking you. It’s dumb, right? It’s been a year since we last spoke, and this is the first thing I say? Ha…haha… I… I haven’t moved on. Isak, I like you. I still like you a lot.

“…..”

I still vividly remember the time we first went to the movies. You accidentally held my hands, or so I thought, but never let go. It made me confused at the time, but also happy.

—I remember that too…

Freja looked me directly in the eyes. “It made me so happy I had trouble sleeping that day! I asked myself things like: does he like me too? Or, I wanna have his babies!

—woah…there… Calm down…

—ah! I wasn’t supposed to mention that! F-Forget it, okay?!

…what’s the point of all this? Why tell me now?

“—and you broke up through a text message.

I was finally able to get it out of my chest. These words previously stuck in my throat. I was finally able to get rid of them.

Why now? Why are you approaching me now!?

“…because I like you.”

Because you like me?!

“I don’t get it. I just don’t!”

I could feel my eyes becoming more hazy and wet. Tears ran down my face as I grabbed Freja’s shoulder, forcing her to look me directly in the eyes.

Why…did you break up with me?”  

“Because I’m stupid,” Freja said as she started to cry. “I…I didn’t tell you properly how I felt. I…I thought you were cheating on me with Aska. I never knew he was a boy! But I should’ve had I done some more digging! Or rather…had I spoken to you! I-I! I’m stupid, okay?!

Are you fucking kidding me!? Is this a joke!? A misunderstanding?! What the hell…

I didn’t tell anyone, nor did I tell her about my friends either; of damming course, this is the result, especially when one of them looks like a damn girl!

FUCK!” I cried and tightly hugged Freja. “I like you too, dammit! I never got over you!

I pulled her down on the bed and tightly embraced her—she silently reciprocated and accidentally hugged me a little too hard…  

—shit, it still hurts. Hilos, that bastard…

Isak…I’m sorry.”

“…don’t be.”

I’m…sorry.

 “Hey… Look. I’m at fault, too. I’m also just as stupid, okay?”

Freja giggled while still crying. “I know.”

“Hey, you said you were stupid before I did,” I replied.

Hehe…screw you,” Freja remarked. “…Isak, I like you. I like you a lot.”

“…yeah. Same.”

“…narcissist.”

“…that’s not what I meant…”

“What did you mean then?”

“…screw you,” I said while letting out a laugh.

“…meanie.”

“…..”

“…..”

“I like you too, Freja.”

Freja didn’t respond, but I could hear her sob while my chest was getting more wet.

—until.

“You finally said you liked me,” Freja said while looking at my face.

…of course, another fuck-up.

I never told her that in person.

0