Chapter 41: Let’s go Bird Hunting!
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the whole ordeal with Freja’s and Isak’s arrest/interrogation, I somehow managed the ventilation system and isolation system. I just hope there won’t be any mould or bad airflow. Still, we managed to set up our own rooms and a functional kitchen that won’t explode on us!

Anyhow, with all that said and done…

“Hey, everyone…aren’t we all kind of…lazy nowadays?”

The other looked at me.

“Huh?” they all replied.

We were currently at the dinner table. Eating something, I dunno what to call this dish, honestly. Is it still curry if it tastes like curry? I mean… I used other stuff.

“What do you mean?” Hilda inquired with a slight head tilt.

Isak chuckled a little and smugly said, “Well, we’re a little better off since the compensation was pretty hefty; how did you think we could afford all of this? Also, the monster material we sold was of a lower quality. Even if the quantity was there, only fetched 30k Lech.”

Freja lightly punched his shoulder. “Dummy, I got arrested…!” she said, but Isak just laughed it off.

I looked at Julia, who was quietly eating the food Hilda and I made. When she noticed my gaze, she shyly turned away a little. I don’t get her, or maybe? Does she have a split personality? A true tsundere?

I sighed and waited for the dumb couple’s banter to end. Meanwhile, Hilda seemed to be pondering over something. Oh… I forgot to say what I was supposed to say. Isak, you ass, you got me off track! Or…is my head just filled with random jumble?

I cleared my throat. “Well… I mean, sure, we’re doing fine and all, but…for some reason, I got this itch, you know?”

Hilda looked a little surprised, as if she figured it out.

Ahh! I see. We’ve been safe and relaxed, and you want to move your body after all the building?”

—ahh…someone gets me…

“What are you, a battle maniac?” Isak asked.

Freja giggled a little, commenting, “Isak, you too,” before gently smiling at me with her head tilted. “So you’re saying?”

“I wanna move, hunt some beasts or something. I’ve been getting bored recently…”

“Yeah, battle maniac,” Isak remarked.

Hilda giggled. “Well, we are in a labyrinth.”

Julia, who’d been quiet all this time, said, “I suppose you and Hilda are the only ones who haven’t moved intensely in the past weeks,” calmly.

“Oh, right, didn’t you want to create a shower?” Hilda asked.

I sighed deeply. “I wanna, but… Ugh! I wanna!

“Then why don’t you?” Isak asked while scooping up food.

“You see… that’s the thing, I dunno, I lack the motivation to!”

They all glared at me as if I was an insane person. I mean, I don’t blame them. I was very enthusiastic about it too, but you know? Now it’s kinda… I dunno how to explain it.

“Hmm,” Isak mused. “How about we hunt something? You said you wanted to make bedding or a couch, didn’t you? I suppose we could just buy that stuff, but…”

“Ohh! Let’s go…wait, do you think the beasts are overhunted?”

“Huuh? You worry about that now? I mean… I suppose there are at least ten thousand people coming down here to hunt, and some even camp and live here, like us. But isn’t this floor kinda massive? Like, c’mon, we rarely run into people.”

““…..””

Both Hilda and I were silent at the reply.

Julia stepped in. “Isak, these two haven’t left the area. Obviously, they wouldn’t know the frequency we run into people.”

“Oh? Right… you said something sensible for once, brocon,” Isak grinned and teased.

“…screw you, man,” Freja retorted and went back to her meal.

In the corner of my eyes, I saw Freja’s reaction to their exchange; somehow, she seemed fine but a little conflicted.

Hilda tugged my sleeve. “Aska, um… So, do you want to?”

I pondered a little. I know that taking it easy and relaxing while working on the place can be comfy, and since we’re settled here, it is nice that we can focus on making it our home. I mean… we have the funds to sustain us for a while. We rarely buy things. There are plants and spices, fruits and other vegetation. I have a book for nourishment…

And even recently, I asked Freja and Isak to get us some spices. It will take a while to run out of that. Food isn’t a problem, but…hmm, should I bake? I’m not the best at it…

“Hey, Aska, your mind ain’t wandering, is it?” Julia asked with a suspecting gleam.

“Ah! It was for a moment, let’s see… Yeah, I do wanna go hunt! I mean, fighting to maintain my edge is nice …”

“Well, duh, we aren’t on the path of being shut-ins, are we?” Isak remarked with a grin.

“Huh? Is that bad?” Freja asked.

“…you wanna be a shut-in, Freja?”

“Considering I was just arrested, kinda…”

““..…””

 

— :::: —

 

In the end, we decided to go hunt something.

“So, you want to try finding the Uithbirgh?” Hilda asked.

I nodded.

“Yeah… it’s a bird-type, right? I want some feathers! I made sure it had feathers… I hope they are soft. The book didn’t say…”

Julia, who walked in a relaxed manner with her hands behind her head, glanced at me after the remark.

“Hmm, I suppose there are bird types that are featherless. We did encounter one, did we not?”

She turned to Isak and Freja.

“Oh? That thing? I’d call it… a dinosaur?” Freja replied.

“You guys kidding me? More like eldritch horror!” Isak playfully followed.

The two girls looked at him with a deadpan look.

Seeing the three converse, Hilda let out a small giggle. I glanced at her, who walked right beside me and nudged her arm with my elbow.

‘They sure get along, don’t they?’ I whispered my musing to Hilda.

‘They do,’ she replied. Then, with a somewhat lonely look, she said, ‘We’re the ones getting left behind, aren’t we?’

Hmm? Is that how she sees it?

I lightly poked her side.

‘H-Hyaa! W-What was that for!?’ 

She whispered in a low voice. In turn, I grinned; I think I looked very smug!

‘I mean, we’ve gotten close too, haven’t we?’ I teased.

Hilda blushed a little.

‘Well…’

She glanced to the side.

‘We have…’

Hilda then glared at me somewhat resentfully. Well, she looked cute like that, I suppose.

‘You shouldn’t poke a girl on the side like that… I-I’ll have to lecture you when we get back!’

Backing away for my safety’s sake, I cautiously looked at her.

‘Why’d ya stutter like that?’

In a playful gesture, she placed a finger on her lip and made a somewhat suggestive look.

‘I’m a mature lady, you know? I won’t let you get away—punishment is due.’

…did I flip a switch or something???!

I cleared my throat.

‘W-We’ll—can we leave this convo…?’

Hilda leaned in and poked my cheek.

‘Sure,” she whispered.

Yup, I definitely flipped a switch somewhere. Was it the poke on the side???

Before we realised it, Isak, Freja and Julia glared at us.

“Look at that, how relaxed you two must be, flirting on a hunt. Just how confident are you two?” Isak teased.

““…..””

Julia let out a soft sigh.

“He’s mine afterwards, got it?” she boldly declared without a hint of shyness.

…I don’t get it. To others, when declaring things like this, she can be so bold.

Then why are you tsun and dere with me!? Sweet and bitter? Ah… I kinda like that, no wait! Is she the type to only be shy with those she likes?

Hilda, with a suggestive look, placed her arms around me.

Aww…just a teeny bit, okay?

Flustered, Julia asked, “W-What is she on?! What did you do?!” while glaring at me.

I don’t know?!

—wait, I do…I think.

Freja, on the other hand, was covering her face while peeking through her fingers. She looked a little red. It was probably due to how Hilda was acting.

Even she became flustered by that, huh? Isak? Why is he shifting glances between Freja and Hilda? He leaned in and whispered something to Freja—she became bright red and hit him on the chest.

Ough!” he groaned. “I…I expected a light hit with “Dummy!” or something…”

Freja puffed her cheeks and crossed her arms.

“Hmph!”

Now I’m kinda curious. What did he tell her?

Also, Julia had a look of disdain toward the two, especially Isak—she probably heard what he said.

 

— :::: —

 

After walking for a while and scanning our surroundings with the help of my Eye for Concept, I managed to map out the route we’d taken.

Later, however unexpected, we spot two people from further away in the forest path. One of them—the girl with light blue hair and silver eyes, wore light armour. The guy with dark grey hair, on the other hand, stared my way. His deep crimson eyes were somewhat frightening—it reminded me of Mister Hilos’ eyes…

Not only that but isn’t he cool-looking? The girl is cute as well—wait! Their appearance is striking, but I just realised that the guy was in casual clothes!

“What’s wrong, Aska?” the others asked.

“Well…we’ll probably encounter two individuals soon,” I replied.

“Oh? People, how rare around these parts,” Isak commented.

“Yeah… We’ve been here a few times. This is a first,” Freja added.

Julia didn’t have anything to add as she seemed to be in thought. Hilda tugged my sleeve.

“Do they look like baddies…?”

Huh? What’s this? What’s this cute creature!?

“Well, as strange as it sounds, one of them wears casual clothes. However, he’s the one I’m most cautious of.”

The others looked bewildered.

“Huh? Casual clothes? Are they crazy?” Freja asked.

“Either that or they outmatch anything around,” Julia shrugged.

As Julia said that, everyone froze.

There was a man sitting on a rock close to us; it was a casual guy!

“Oh? I look suspicious?” he queried.

We all gulped. Behind his back, a head poked out with silky blue hair and silver eyes. Her eyes, for some reason, were sparkly and looked to be filled with curiosity.

“Scell, we found people! Oh? Aren’t they all cute!?” she energetically exclaimed.

“Lady Elara, you are scaring the youngsters,” the man named Scell said calmly.

The girl, Elara, hugged him all of a sudden with slightly teary eyes.

Uwaa… Scell, you’re always so cold and formal whenever other’s are around! Please just call me Lara at all times!”

Her tears faded as she scolded the man.

—scary, fake tears…

I glanced at Freja, Julia and Hilda, wondering if they could do that too. My eyes met Isak’s. He probably thought the same.

The man named Scell sighed.

“I apologise for disturbing your adventure.” He then directed an intense stare at me. “Were you perhaps the one that used magic to eye us?”

Hesitantly, I nodded.

“Be careful with that. Some sensitive people or beasts can sense it. However, it’s a useful skill to have. But it makes those who notice think you’re an enemy.”

He then got up and tossed Elara on his shoulder.

“W-What!? No princess carry this time!?” she retorted.

“…..” Scell didn’t comment.

“You’re so shy~” she playfully said.

As if not caring for what she said, he kept walking with her like baggage…

But as he walked past Freja, I saw a burst of mana emitted from Scell; his mana was intense and by reflex, I pulled Freja toward me and caught her.

The others seemed confused by my reaction. Even the girl named Elara didn’t react much. But when she saw the position Freja and I were in, she began to flail around.

“See! Like that! Carry me like that!”

Scell, seemingly ignoring her, stared at Freja; it was intense; Isak had gotten into position. Both he and Julia had materialised their divine weapons while Hilda emitted strong mana.

“Huh? Are we fighting these younglings, Scell?”

He sighed.

“No. However…” he intensely glared at Freja.

This man, who had no weapons, armour, not even a divine weapon, emitted so much pressure all of us were in battle stance; he hadn’t even done anything!

His gaze then shifted to me and the others.

“I’ll remember your faces. If she goes rogue… Know who’ll hunt you down.

“Scell!” the girl cried. “You can’t be mean to kids!”

She pushed him and got back on her feet. She looked at us with an apologetic look, she apologised.

“I’m sorry for my partn—escort… He’s sensitive, so don’t mind him. But… You guys really should be cautious not to become criminals!” she exclaimed. “If your lich friend goes berserk, well… Good luck!”

With that said, she dragged the man away.

At this point, Freja was in tears while on her knees, crying.

“I-I’m sorry! I’m sorry! *hic* I’m causing you…guys so much trouble…*hic*…I’m sorry…”

With a resentful look, Isak watched the two individuals walk away.

“What the hell was that about!?”

His teeth were gritted as his hands clenched.

I felt the same… But, Isak, now’s not the time. You’ll need to comfort her. I don’t know how to.

0