Chapter 43: What About the Future?
61 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When we finished dismembering the beast, I think it was called an Elcheem. It was pretty resilient and could use the earth element pretty decently. If we weren’t in a group to lock it down, it would’ve probably been troublesome.

Then again, it applies to most of the beasts down here. Actually, when I think about it. We haven’t encountered anything hideous. The pale mimic was a…yeah, I don’t like that one. And an armoured death blade likely won’t appear somewhere close by.

From what I know, though, there is something called a Whrees. They’re parasitic creatures that can take over the body with their larva. First, they kidnap a person, then they plant a larva into the body, and from there, the larva begins to grow nerves and slowly take over the host, turning them into a higher being that lays the larva…

—yuck

Luckily, they’re not in the labyrinth.

“Hey, Aska?”

Julia suddenly called out to me.

“Hm? What’s wrong?”

“Can you make bags?” Julia reluctantly asked.

“Bag? Like a handbag?”

“Yeah…” she replied.

I stopped and gave it a thought. I never knew Julia was the type to be into that sort of thing. Especially when she’s more of a gamer and rarely seems interested in fashion. Or am I wrong? We’ve been together for many years, but I don’t think I’ve been paying too much attention to her after she turned cold…

“Sure, I can try my best… However, I mostly make clothes, though. I wonder, were you always interested in stuff like that?”

Indifferently, Julia shook her head.

“No, I just wonder what the appeal was, so… Instead of buying one that’s potentially expensive, I thought you’d be able to make it since you’re good with crafts and stuff. You know?”

Looking shy and meek, Julia’s puppy eyes penetrated my little heart.

“I-I see…”

The others didn’t say anything. However, they did give us “the stare”, and what can I say? She’s cute!

—yeah, I’m going to hell.

“By the way,” Freja said. “Do you still want to hunt the bird?”

To my surprise, Freja was up for it—keep hunting, that is.

“Is that okay? Are you fine?” I asked.

I was still concerned about her. And the fight with the Elcheem was unavoidable since it was probably on a hunt. Still, even in distress, she did well. Is it commendable, or is it expected now that we’re like this? In this world?

“I’m fine now. After all, you all accepted me a while back, knowing what sort of trouble I’d drag you into… I feel a bit guilty, but… Please be good to me.”

Freja had a genuine smile, and her words were filled with sincerity. I think the others thought that as well. It is true that she’d be better off with her brother; that way, she’d likely not run into problems. But then again, I think she’d feel out of place. She probably even does that now. But at least she has Isak, Julia and Hilda. I… I am not certain if I could consider myself her friend.

It might sound harsh, but that is the truth. I know I’m dragging this out. But she did die in my arms. But thanks to my cool beauty skills, I somewhat look composed and all. To be honest, I’m a wreck each time I see her in distress. Seeing her happy with Isak and the others makes me feel less guilty.

Also, we found out that she was a little of a special case. Instead of half dead and half alive, she was more alive than dead. If that makes any sense. What I’m trying to get across is that she’s almost human but is still a lich. Her body is not dead, either. However, her mana is that of residue of living beings.

 

— :::: —

 

Continuing with our plan, we decided to keep moving forward. It was getting a little late, so we set up a small camp. I was cooking with Hilda as usual while the others were on the lookout.

We’re just going to sit around the campfire and keep a lookout throughout the night. Setting up tents is a bit bothersome, after all. Besides, we’re only staying till morning.

“It’s good as always,” Freja said.

Hilda giggled, asking, “Want seconds?”

“Yeah!”

Observing the two of them interact, a soft smile crept up on my face. Isak nudged me with his elbow.

With a serious look, he asked, “So…what’s the plan?”

I think I know what he’s referring to.

“Well… In general, I mean.”

Oh? Is he referring to living in this world? In that case, I have no idea…

“When you say, “general,” do you mean living here? As for the future and stuff?”

Ugh…perhaps not that heavy or deep, just… I dunno. You seem put together. I don’t even know what I’m doing, to be honest.”

While the girls were happily teasing each other around the fire, Isak had a somewhat concerned look. It seemed like he put some thought into it but didn’t arrive at a conclusion, thus asking me.

With a serious look, I stared into the distance.

“To be frank. I don’t know either. But it’s not like I’m all that put together as I seem. You do realise that some of the stuff I do is on a whim, right?”

I glanced at Isak. He put the tray down and grabbed the mug instead. He looked up, and his eyes told me to continue.

“…I guess I do sort of have a goal in mind. It’s just something personal—I want to be stronger. Ahas cringy as that sounds, I mean it. I…don’t want to feel helpless ever again. I’m not sure you share the sentiment, but when we were in the forest, almost being killed, y’know? I felt helpless and distressed. It felt like I was going crazy, and I got to know sides of me I didn’t know existed. Like… C’mon, I played soldier and rolled myself in mud.”

I’ll be honest. I didn’t think my mind could wander to such dark places.

“…I see.”

I’m not sure Isak understood, but he nodded and sipped his drink. The girls can pretend to be chatty and cheery all they want. But I knew they were listening in.

After the meal and as the dark kicked in, I told the others to rest first. Hilda and Julia were huddled together, and so were Isak and Freja. They all seemed peaceful. While I don’t know what’s going on inside their head, I am sympathetic enough to understand their wordless struggles.

Isak is filled with anxiety. His girlfriend is a lich, technically alive, and we’re getting in more trouble than anticipated because of it. He’s not actually that good with gore and stuff, but he still charges head in—he’s a coward, but a daring one.

Julia seems fine, but she’s probably thinking of father and stepmother. I mean… She’s been pretty level-headed all this time. I’m not sure how she feels—even though I’m the one closest to her. All in all, she’s really good at hiding and isn’t the crybaby she used to be.

As for Freja, well… I think it’s apparent: how can I even begin to understand not being human anymore?

And in the case of Hilda, I think this predates the time we first met. She seems strangely lonely and perhaps struggles to fit in. Or she thinks she’s not a part of the group she’s with.

*Sigh*

Then what about me?

 

— :::: —

 

Morning came, and it seemed like Aska hadn’t slept that much. Although he usually looked calm and cool, I could tell that there was something bothering him. Was it perhaps the conversation he had with Isak last night?

I can understand that he wants to get stronger; I, too, feel that way. I don’t want to feel useless anymore. I…hope I’m not.

I want them to rely on me. I need to push harder.

While I was in deep thought, Hilda came up to me. She looked somewhat concerned.

“Julia… Aska seems a little more tired today than usual,” she said.

I nodded in agreement.

“Something must be on his mind, but…it might perhaps be our imagination. His ability does take a toll on his mental state…” I calmly replied.

“Is that so…?”

Hilda’s eyes lowered to the ground. She’s my rival, yet I feel my chest tighten whenever I see her like this. She’s supposed to be older than me as well…

Ugh!

I feel so conscious of it!

Not only is she mature, she’s cute! Like, how is that fair? Her chest looks soft, and even I want to plunge my face into them!

Her face is cute. Her hair also looks soft and refined. Like… How can’t I be jealous?

To be honest, I’m not sure why Aska hasn’t chosen her over me. I’m not cute, not very honest, and I was cold toward him just because of what people said. Yet, I don’t want to give up. He might see me as a step-sister, but to me, he’s both a brother I look up to and a childhood friend. It might be wrong to do this to our parents, but they’re not here right now.

—we’re likely not to return either. If so…then is it selfish of me to desire these things?

Hilda seems to be conflicted about making a bigger move as well. Neither of us has really tried going further than a hug or a peck on the cheek. The same goes for Aska; he just nonchalantly does it, and it’s making me go insane! I don’t even know what’s going on inside his head!

Reluctantly, I patted her on the shoulder.

“I…It might be better if we leave him alone for a while.”

With an understanding look, Hilda nodded.

“I… I think so, too.”

Seriously. The conversation he had with Isak yesterday really had me thinking.

—what are we doing?

 

2