4. Failed to recognize
86 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Sylvaine, you are finally awake." The man hugged her tight as he cried tears of relief and joy.

Irene stood dumbstruck when the man hugged her suddenly and more so because of the name he had called. 'Sylvaine? Who the heck is Sylvaine? What the hell is happening?' Although Irene wanted to push the unfamiliar man away, she did not out of courtesy. But that did not stop her from questioning him about his weird behavior. "I am sorry, but do I know you?"

As soon as the question slipped from her lips, the man pulled back and stared at her in horror. Even the other people gasped as they covered their mouths. Irene was confused by their behavior, and she looked back and forth between the older man and the girl who she had first met the moment she had woken up.

"Sylviane, dear, what has happened to you? Are you trying to joke with me because I am not finding this hilarious?" The man queried in annoyance, and Irene shook her head at once.

"Not at all, Sir. I really don't know who you are. You must be mistaken, and I am not Sylvaine."

"Sylvaine, please don't scare us, dear. Please tell me you remember me. I am your father, darling." The man begged, his eyes tearing up again. Although Irene was guilty to see him cry, she was more baffled to hear him call himself her father.

"You are not my father, Sir. This is the first time I am meeting you. Moreover," Irene looked at the girl before she stared at the old man. "I am an orphan. My father died long ago."

Just like before, everyone went into a state of shock. They stared at her, mortified, while Irene blinked innocently at them. 'What is happening here? When did this older man become my father? Where did he pop up from? And what is wrong with his clothes?' Only now was Irene seeing his attire, and she frowned seeing him dressed in clothes from the Victorian era.

"Sylvaine, I am your father. How can you forget me, darling?" The man cried as he held her arms. "Is everything alright with you? You must be overwhelmed because you woke up after a long time. Take some rest. I will call the physician by then. He will check your body condition."

Irene was about to protest. But the man was gone even before she could stop him. She had no choice but to swallow the words she had prepared after listening to him. All the other people too left the room, and Irene was all alone with the girl she had hugged before, who kept looking at her strangely.

"Why are you looking at me that way?"

"Milady, please don't scare your father anymore. He had been worried about you day and night since the time you fell into a deep sleep." The girl pleaded as she wiped her tears slowly.

"Deep sleep. What do you mean? How long was I asleep?"

"Milady, you were asleep for almost five days." The girl revealed, and Irene's jaw dropped at the revelation.

"Five days? I was in a coma for five days?" Irene was bewildered and did not know what to make out of it. "You are kidding, right? I cannot be in a coma for five days."

"Milady, what is a coma?" The girl asked, and her words only added more to Irene's puzzlement.

"Don't you know what a coma is?"

The girl shook her head and Irene sighed, giving up any hopes of even trying to comprehend what was transpiring around her. Everything seemed like a jumbled mess. It was as though she was suddenly pulled into a medieval drama, and she was now a princess who had gotten up after a long time. Irene's eyes widened in realization as soon as the thought struck her.

"Wait a minute. Are we shooting a medieval drama where I am the heroine?" She asked the girl, who just stared at her in confusion. "And we are at the scene where my character finally gets up after a long time."

Her words did not make any sense to the girl. She just blinked at her, wondering what she was speaking about. "Milady, please have some water." The girl poured her a chalice and handed it to her, which Irene took absent-mindedly.

"Say, what did you say your name was?" Irene queried as she sipped on her water.

No sooner had she asked her the question than the girl started crying hysterically. "Milady, you have forgotten me too. I am Reyna. I am your personal maid." The girl's cries did not stop, and Irene had no choice but to hug her again. And this time, the girl hugged her back.

"Please calm down, dear. I cannot bear to watch you cry." Irene patted the girl's back, and slowly but surely, she calmed down.

"Mila-Milady," Reyna hiccupped. "Please tell me you remember me."

Irene did not know how to answer the girl. She did not even know the girl to forget her in the first place. So, how will she remember her?

Reyna was just about to ask her about her lack of response when she heard the sound of the door opening. At once, she pulled back, leaving a perplexed Irene staring at her with her hands outstretched. She raised her eyebrow at her, but the girl did not respond. Instead, she just lowered her head as the older man made his way toward them.

"Sylvaine, the physician is here. He will check your condition. Come, dear."

"I am fine. I don't need a check-up." Irene protested. But the older man was having none of it. He gently pulled her with him towards the bed.

"Please, dear. Please let the physician check your condition. You just woke up after being unconscious for five days. Your body is still weak. Please." The man begged, and Irene relented and glanced at the physician, who looked older than the man who claimed to be her father.

"My Lady, if you would lie down on the bed." He urged, and Irene reluctantly did as she was told while Reyna covered her with the duvet.

The old physician checked her pulse before he frowned lightly. "My Lady, do you recognize anyone in the room?"

Irene blinked at the old physician for a few seconds before she stared at the two people who were looking at her keenly, their eyes filled with hope. Although she did not want to burst their bubble, she did not wish to give them false hopes either. So, she averted her gaze away from them and shook her head slowly.

"Why does she deny to recognize me? What is wrong with my daughter?" The old man almost shouted, and Irene flinched on hearing his loud, angry voice. The man switched his demeanor so quickly that she wondered if he was suffering from bipolar disorder.

'I think he should be the one to be checked. He seems to need treatment more than I do.' Irene chose to keep her thoughts to herself. She did not want to incur his wrath on herself.

"Your Grace, her body has healed, and she does not have scars. She is just a little weak." The physician started.

"Then why is she not recognizing me?"

The physician shuddered at the man's overbearing voice. He thought for a few moments before he slowly revealed what he assumed to be the problem. "My Grace, My Lady had hit her head hard when she was injured. So.."

"So?"

"I presume she has lost her memories."

1