7. Showing concern
82 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Your Grace, I am afraid to say that the Lady has indeed lost her memories." The royal physician also stated the exact words as the other physician.

Irene watched how the old man who claimed to be her father went into a state of shock. His lips quivered, and he was just short of breaking down in despair. His eyes were fixed on her as he stared at her in anguish and concern.

Irene had never felt that troubled before. She had never experienced the love of any parent, and now that she was being cared for by this man, she did not know what to do. She was touched, and her heart was filled with warmth, while her mind was lost and confused.

Irene sighed lightly as she thought about it. 'This man seems to really care about his daughter. Why am I unable to see tears in his eyes? Is it because I am receiving a parent's love for the first time? Even though he is not my father, why am I sad to see him in despair?' She thought and glanced at Reyna, only to find her sobbing silently.

'I don't know how long I will be here. But, until I find my way back home, I can at least pretend to be Sylvaine and keep her family happy. Maybe I could get some familial love for the time being.' Irene knew she was being selfish. However, she had no choice. She was stuck in a bizarre world with people she did not even know about.

"Sylvaine," Her thoughts broke when her said father hugged her tight. She was stunned by his sudden action and remained frozen for some time with her eyes wide. "My dear daughter. How much pain must you be in? How did you hurt yourself this badly? I failed to protect you, darling. I failed to keep you safe."

The old man mumbled as he held her in his warm embrace. Even though she was hesitant, Irene scooted closer to him to get more of his warmth. For the first time, she felt a father's love, and she wanted to experience more of it. 'I am sorry, Sylvaine. Please forgive me for being greedy this once. Let me enjoy this feeling until I am here. I promise I will take care of your family well.'

"Father," Irene lifted her arms and embraced the man to soothe him. "Please don't cry, Father. I will try to recollect my memories as soon as possible." Irene recollected a scene in one of the boring Victorian era based movies she had painstakingly seen and started to address the old man formally, as the leading actress had done. "Please don't cry."

"Yes, Your Grace, the Lady can try to recollect her memories if she attempts." The royal physician added and the old man pulled away from his daughter the next instant.

"Is it possible? Can my daughter get her memories back? Will she be able to return to her old self before the mishap happened?" The man looked at the physician hopefully.

"Yes, Your Grace. Absolutely. All the Lady has to do is revisit the times. Please tell her all the important and memorable events that happened to her, and she will be able to recall everything. Although I am unsure how long it will take, she will eventually return to normal."

'Great. By then, I can find a way to return home, and Sylvaine will return to unite with her family.' Irene smiled at her plan and sighed lightly.

"Yes, Father. I will try to recuperate as quickly as possible. Please don't cry." Irene wiped his tears, her action stunning everyone in the room. Reyna gasped loudly while the old physician blinked at her in disbelief. However, the one who was more shocked than anyone was the man who claimed to be her father.

"Sylvaine," He held her arms, his lips curving up in joy. "My darling." He cried, and Irene was dumbfounded by the man's sudden change in expression.

A moment ago, he was crying in sorrow, and now he was crying in happiness. Irene had no idea what to make out of her situation. Already she was in a dilemma, considering the twist in the events and the unbelievable soul transmigration. The old man's switch in expressions was only adding more to her confusion.

"Father, what happened?" Irene tilted her head and donned an innocent look, and the old man in front of her sighed in bliss.

"Dear, are you worried about me? Are you concerned about me?" All of a sudden, he looked like a happy child to Irene. It was as though he had received the best Christmas present.

Irene did not know what was happening and turned to Reyna for help. But, to her surprise, the girl too seemed to be smiling at her, confusing her all the more.

"Although my daughter does not remember me, she started to care for me. I am so happy today. I am so happy." The old man stood up at once and held the royal physician as he kept exclaiming in delight.

"Yes, yes, Your Grace." The man could only nod and agree with him. He had never seen the nobleman this ecstatic before, and he knew why it was so. He too was stupefied to find the change in the Lady's behavior, making him wonder if one would switch personalities if they were to lose their memories.

"Thank you, old Enver. Thank you very much."

"If there is nothing else, I will take my leave, Your Grace."

Sylvaine's father clapped his hands, and a servant entered the room immediately. "Escort old Enver to his home. Make sure he reaches home safely." He ordered, and the servant started to follow his orders at once.

Irene was impressed by the servant. He had entered the moment her said father had clapped. 'Was he listening that intently to everything that was happening here?' She wondered.

"Did you eat anything, dear? You must be famished now. Let me get you some food." The man was just about to leave when Irene stopped him.

"Father, Father, calm down. I am full. I ate to my heart's content a few moments ago."

"That's good, dear. That's good to hear. Tell me if you need anything."

Irene smiled on seeing the man's excitement. Although she could not understand his feelings, she was incredibly happy for him. However, her smile slipped when she saw how exhausted and weak he looked. His eyes were bloodshot, making it seem like he had not slept for days.

"Father, you must be tired. You need to sleep."

"No, no, dear. I am perfectly fine. I am jubilant today. My daughter woke up after two weeks. How can I sleep in this excitement?"

"Father, you need sleep." Irene enunciated each word slowly. "You are tired, and you need rest. I know you have not rested well since the time I fell unconscious. Now that I am awake, you cannot fall ill. Go, sleep now." She ordered, completely forgetting where she was, and this was not how people conversed in the era she was in.

"Sylvanie," The old man did not know what to say and gave her a tender gaze. "I will do as you say. I will do as my daughter says from now on. I will see you in the morning, dear." He glanced at her one last time before he left her room.

Irene was still confused by the man's behavior. "Say, Reyna, I cannot comprehend my father's behavior. Can you tell me why he was surprised and excited?"

"Milady," Reyna giggled softly. "His Grace is exuberant. This is the first time in years you have shown him some concern. How can he not be happy?"

1