47. Inside the cave – Part 1
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Every once in a while, Gavin looked behind to see if the King was following him. Though he did not doubt him or his intentions to help him save his mother, his fear for the man who held her captive got the best of him, clouding his judgment and rationality. Gavin could not help but turn around while he kept running towards the destination he had in mind.

Kieran noticed how insecure and suspicious the lad was. But he was not infuriated about it. He understood the state of mind he was in and he also understood why he was behaving this way. Without any word, he kept following Gavin as they ran at an inhuman speed through the depths of the jungle.

It was only when they reached a small waterfall in a less dense area filled with rocks and short trees did Gavin stop running. He waited until the King was behind him before he pointed towards a cave beside the waterfall.

"Your Majesty, all the people you want are in there. But..."

"But?" Kieran followed the man's hand to see where he was pointing. At first glance, it was impossible to find the cave for thick climbers were surrounding it, blocking the entrance. Only on a closer look could anyone notice. But nothing could get past Kieran's keen and sharp eyes and he had noticed the den even before Gavin had pointed it out.

"But my mother is not here. They have hidden her in another place. Could the Majesty...." Gavin did not have the courage to continue. But Kieran perceived what he wished to convey and turned towards him to meet him in the eye, only to find him lowering his gaze in respect.

"Gavin, look at me." Kieran's tone was filled with power and command and Gavin looked up instantly on reflex. It was as though his body already knew who he was supposed to listen to and obey.

"I will not ask you to trust me for I know that in your predicament, it will be quite difficult for you to do so." Kieran held the young man's gaze as he enunciated his thoughts slowly and carefully. "It is rightful of you to suspect everyone around you. But I promise I will find your mother and she will return safely. All I need is your cooperation. Can you do it?"

Gavin had no choice but to nod his head in reply. The King was his only and last hope. Only with his help could he get his mother back.

"Good. Things might turn ugly in a few moments after I enter the cave. If you are unwilling to watch them, you may stay here and wait for my return. I will leave it to you to decide." Kieran allowed him to choose as he scrutinized the area around him. Except for the sound of the waterfall, he could not hear anything and he fairly understood why the perpetrators had chosen this place out of all as their hideout.

"I will accompany you, Your Majesty. I want to see the men who destroyed my life die a painful death." His eyes were filled with resolve and for a moment, Kieran was impressed by him. He seemed to be an upright man and Kieran, then and there, decided to train and appoint him as his close trusted man once he finished dealing with the rogue vampires.

This time, Kieran walked in the front while Gavin followed him closely. The only safe place for him was right behind the King. Anywhere else, there was a danger to his life, especially when inside the cave.

Kieran slowly stepped inside the cave, keeping his eyes and ears open for the rogues he was looking for. But before that, he did not forget to mask his and Gavin's scent secretly, making it impossible for anyone to detect them without them seeing the two men.

As soon as he stepped inside the cave, Kieran was hit by the pungent stench of blood and he frowned in worry. His first reaction was to look at the boy behind him who was already in discomfort. His eyes and face were changing drastically and he was slowly losing control. And that was the last thing Kieran wanted. He was here to deal with the rogue vampires, not handle a newly turned vampire going berserk in search of blood.

Kieran, at once, held Gavin's hand, forcing the lad to look at him. Though he did not say anything, the message in his eyes was unmistakable. They were ordering him silently not to let his control slip. He was compelling the young man to follow his orders and to his relief, it worked. Though it took a lot of time, Gavin eventually relaxed and his thirst for blood was subdued.

Kieran did not speak a word. He only used his free hand to gesture and command the boy to keep his eyes focused on him and him alone and to forget everything else. All Gavin could do was meekly nod at him in acceptance.

Kieran started walking again and they moved further away from the source of light at the entrance of the cave. As they proceeded further, it was completely dark. But that did not hinder Kieran's eyesight for he could see everything around him clearly.

However, that was not the situation with Gavin. He had to squint his eyes to keep his eyes focused on the formidable King in front of him and he even stumbled on his foot in the dark. Yet, that did not stop him from looking at the only man who could help him.

Fortunately for them, the darkness vanished as light from the torches hung on the wall illuminated their path as they moved closer to where Kieran felt the rogues to be hiding. He cautioned Gavin to stay silent and just stay beside him as he continued to hold his hand and only after getting an assuring nod, did he enter the place where he had smelled the scent of rogue vampires.

0