Arc 1.12
869 10 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The maze was actually much larger than most thought it'd be. It expands across many miles and has an abundance of obstacles obstructing those unlucky enough to get caught in them.

There's also a burden on one's mental state if they stay in there for too long as they'll start to feel trapped. Those who are enclosed inside these walls will never know which is the "right" way to go, and there are always hidden dangers lurking beneath the surface, waiting for the right chance to subdue their prey.

It gave people the helpless feeling of a mouse being toyed around with by a cat. No matter where they went, they could never escape from the grasp of the enemy. Additionally, the atmosphere inside the maze is dark and eerie, a complete contrast to the peacefulness outside.

Thankfully, our lovely MC and ML have high mental strength, therefore the psychological pressure had no effect on them.

Originally, it was already hard enough to reach his sister, but having a protagonist who's heated gaze is continuously on him is even more difficult. 

Ever since the two started to travel together, Nan XiSheng's eyes never left Zero; not even for a second. 

That made him feel very uncomfortable and many crazy theories started to pop up in his head.

Was the protagonist still holding a grudge about the time when he pushed him off a cliff? Did he agree to follow him because he wanted to find the chance to kill him? Was he going to die before he even found his sister?

Zero was unable to do anything to harm Nan XiSheng because the individual who is to play the part of a villain could still be changed, but there was no second son of heaven to replace the protagonist's role.

However, he couldn't just sit here and wait for his impending doom! Zero decided to grasp any chance he could get to "accidentally" separate from the latter. That way, not only can he get to his sister, no one will be suspicious about anything!

With this perfect plan in mind, he started to look for any openings for creating an excuse to part ways with Nan XiSheng.

"Senior Brother Liu, would you like to rest?"

"Senior Brother Liu, you can just relax while I get rid of this monster!"

"Senior Brother Liu, where are we heading?"

"Senior Brother Liu..."

Zero: "..."

What 'excuse' to slip away from the protagonist? He's practically onto me 24/7! Since when were we so close to each other anyways!?

"Junior Brother Nan... let's just go take a break. We've been in here for a whole day already and it's"

"Understood, I see a cave in front of us. Senior Brother Liu, do you want to go in there to take a break?"

"Yes, yes."

The two walked into the spacious cave and set up a little. Zero gathered some wood he got from cutting down the wilted trees blocking their way, then used his fire qi to light them up and create a mini fireplace.

After everything was in place, they sat down near the bonfire and kept silent.

The atmosphere was neither tense nor awkward. There was just a peaceful feeling in the air, one that Zero had not experienced for quite some time.

In his previous life, he was always looking for an adventure or just something to do to keep him from feeling bored. It completely contrasted his lazy nature and he, himself, did not know why it was like that.

It was as if every time he had nothing to do, Zero would end up remembering those days eternal loneliness...

Wait.

What loneliness?

Even if he wasn't the most popular one in school, he still had friends around him most of the time. Why would he reminiscence about the feeling of isolation? 

Nevermind. 

Secrets will gradually be uncovered on their own, so it's more important to focus on the task at hand.

There was no food around these vicinities, that is unless they are willing to grill the corpse of a demonic beast, so the two didn't eat anything for dinner.

Zero's heart ached at the thought of his elder sister starving due to the food shortage and he once again steeled up his resolution to wake up extra early and continue heading towards her.

In the midst of his thoughts, he began to feel drowsy and wobbled a little. Everything became a bit blurry and the last thing he remembered was landing on something warm and comfy.

Then, Zero plopped his head onto Nan XiSheng's shoulders and fell asleep.

Of course, the lovesick male lead's heart skipped a beat at his actions. The place where the two came into contact suddenly felt really hot and he couldn't help but wrap the other person into his arms.

After a while of hugging, Nan XiSheng picked him up and took out a blanket and quilt from his sleeping bag, then lay him down onto it.

When he made sure Zero was sound asleep, Nan XiSheng also went to rest beside him. For a very, very long time, a pair of deep black eyes just gazed at the beautiful male who slept without a care in the world.

It was a very harmonious and loving atmosphere.

The owner of those eyes inched forwards and planted a kiss on the sleeping beauty's forehead and whispered with a magnetic voice, "Soon, we'll be together forever. Good night, my love."

The night was bound to be a quiet and tranquil one.

- - -

Zero had a dream.

In his dream, he was being embraced by another figure and that person also gave him a little peck. 

Like any other person, Zero would normally struggle to get out of the other party's clutches, but for some reason, he couldn't bring himself to do so.

The person cuddling him carried a warmth he had only felt from his sister, so he could only greedily ask for more.

So warm...

Slowly opening up his heavy eyelids, the first thing that came into view was Nan XiSheng's handsome face.

As he had not fully matured yet, it still carried a hint of childishness that belonged to every kid. However, Zero felt his heart beating wildly like never before.

Why the hell had he slept with the protagonist again? And why were Nan XiSheng's hands wrapped around his waist?

He felt his heart panic, but he calmed down shortly after realizing the situation.

Last night, he probably got too comfortable and fell asleep, which resulted in the protagonist dragging him over to their temporary bed.

Zero felt his face heat up at the fact that he made such an embarrassing display in front of this child.

Slowly, he freed himself from the other's grasp and got up to look around.

The sun had still yet to rise, so it was probably around 4:00-5:00 AM. 

Perfect.

The protagonist was still asleep, so he could just set up a protective barrier as a thanks for dragging his heavy body to bed, then go off to find his sister.

Zero had the perfect escape plan laid out in his mind, but when he turned around, he realized that he was being far too naive.

That was because he came face to face with the fully awake Nan XiSheng, who was just silently staring at him without saying a single word.

Was reality seriously f*cking playing with him right now?!

"Good morning", he said, while trying to feign calm.

"Good morning, Senior Brother Liu"

...

That's it.

There was no food, so breakfast was off the charts and they were in the middle of a hella dangerous trial, so the two just tactfully packed up their belongings and left.

Midway through their journey, the system's playful voice suddenly sounded in his ears. Its tone seemed to be much more urgent and serious than the usual joking tone it uses.

[Host, host! We have a problem!]

'What is it? Did something happen?'

[It's about your sister...]

'Spit it out!'

Zero had a foreboding feeling ever since he encountered the first demonic beast and now that 005 said that something has happened to Hua-er, he felt as if someone took his heart and was squeezing it in the palm of their hands.

[She's not in any mortal danger yet, but I see a pack of dangerous demonic beasts heading in her direction! There are at least ten in that group!]

'Calculate the amount of time she can hold off for.'

[If Hua-er didn't have that injury, she could defeat them with a little bit of difficulty, but now that she does... only for about an hour!]

'Hua-er your head! That's my exclusive nickname for her! Argghh, why am I even arguing with you at such a critical time... Just give me the closest route to her, now!'

[I already did!]

"Junior Brother Nan, we're heading south! Don't ask any questions until we get there and most certainly do not slow down no matter what. I will not be waiting for you."

"... Okay."

The two breezed through the maze at the fastest speed possible, without even stopping for a second. 

The odd thing was that no matter how fast he went, Nan XiSheng was always able to keep up with Zero's pace. For heaven's sake, he was already at the f*cking god realm while the protagonist was only...

Wait a second.

He couldn't even deduce what level Nan XiSheng was at!

Does that mean the storyline had completely been altered and that the male lead was so far ahead that even he, with his superior cultivation, couldn't see through the other?

Where is the fairness in life! Where was the promised OP strength?

Okay, fine. There really was no use in competing with the protagonist, he'd only get a headache from it. 

Might as well just focus on the task at hand instead.

10 000 meters..

8 450 meters..

6 803 meters..

3 782 meters..

871 meters..

Zero could see that his sister was very close by and with each step he took, the more relieved he felt.

Almost there...

Slowly, a beautiful figure fighting against a pack of ferocious black wolves came into view and Zero nearly collapsed from joy.

He made it!

After quickly finishing off the remaining beasts, he went over to check on Shi Lanhua.

"Hua-er! Are you hurt? Do you have any injuries? Here, I have a Superior Recovery Pill, take it!"

He started to shove all the healing items he had into his sister's hands, hoping that she'll be fine, yet completely unaware of the fact that a certain person behind him was trying his best not to explode.

"FengFeng, it's okay! If you came a little later, I might've been in a bit of a pinch, but for now, I didn't receive any injuries. Come on, you've got to have a little bit of faith in me, alright?"

"B-But Hua-er, what if you had gotten yourself into a huge irreversible mess? I was so scared!"

"Thanks for caring for me, but you don't need to worry. Despite my injury, I'm still a strong Nascent Soul cultivator, you know? Just like how you have been working hard to enhance your skills, I didn't slack off either! Plus, I was already in Spirit Division before the war, so it's relatively easier for me to recover my strength."

"At least take this pill I made! Even though it's not much, it'll help suppress the effects of your injury to some extent."

"Fine, but only this. We don't have any more time to waste. I have a really bad feeling that something big is going to happen..."

"Don't worry! As long as you have me by your side, everything's fine!"

"FengFeng..."

"Hua-er..."

*Cough*

Nan XiSheng seriously couldn't stand being fed this dog food* anymore, so he initiated a loud cough to attract their attention.

*dog food = PDA (Public Display of Affection) Specifically directed towards single dogs.

Flirting with his beloved?

Fine, for the sake of his darling, he could endure it.

Doing so right in front of him?

He would try not to kill the other party.

Going on for a long period of time while completely ignoring him?

He really couldn't take it anymore!

"I know this isn't the right time to ask this, but I would like to bring up my previous question once again. Senior Sister Shi, why did you reject Yang Zhelan?"

Zero: "..."

Shi Lanhua: "... Sorry, say that again?"

"Why did you reject Yang Zhelan?"

!!!

When did she reject him? Indeed, she hadn't given him a clear answer yet, but that doesn't mean she turned him down! Where the heck did Junior Brother Nan get this crazy idea from?!

"W-what do you mean by that?"

"Senior Sister Shi, please don't play dumb. The four of us all know that you chose Senior Brother Liu over Brother Nan."

Zero: "... No, seriously. I have no idea what you're talking about! Please don't drag me into this. QAQ"

"What do you mean by choosing FengFeng over Zhelan? I mean, they're both very important to me, but that doesn't mean I rejected him!"

By this point, Nan XiSheng obviously noticed that something was wrong. He didn't have muscles for brains and could actually think for himself, so he thought back to his conversation with Shi Lanhua.

Suddenly, a wave of realization hit him and his body trembled in the excitement of having discovered something he never would have thought to be true, even in his wildest dreams.

"Senior Sister Shi... are you and Senior Brother Liu not cultivation partners*?"

*cultivation partners = couple, but typically with a stronger bond

"Pu!"

What the f*ck?!

Zero wanted to perform a tiger suplex on the protagonist and hope that he made the other hit his head hard enough to wake up from his fancy little delusions.

What cultivation partners? Why don't you try and form one with your mom and see if that works!

Say, did the male lead actually trade all his intellect for power?

Before Zero could say something, the bewildered Shi Lanhua already beat him to it.

"Why would FengFeng and I be like that? Who even gave you such an absurd idea?"

"So the two of you are not...?"

"No!"  "No way!"

"Why do you act so chummy and close then?"

This time, even the gentle Shi Lanhua gave Nan XiSheng a look that one would make when coming across an idiot.

"That's because FengFeng is my entire world, of course!"

"..."

"I love him so much, but he and Zhelan are two different topics!"

"... I don't get it."

"Plus, how can I become a cultivation couple with my very own little brother?"

"..." What?

"Junior Brother Nan, you're usually a smart and upright child, but there are times like this where you actually have to use something called a brain to think, okay?", Shi Lanhua said while pointing at her head, afraid that the other party may not know what she was talking about.

"Senior Sister Shi... didn't you hear about the rumors?"

"What rumors?" the siblings said at the same time.

"They all say... that you two are a cultivation pair."

"..."

"And it's already been going around for the past 6 years"

"..."

"As long as one is immersed in cultivation, they would know. Especially Brother Yang."

"..."

The three of them just stood there, staring at each other for a really, really long time without speaking.

If they weren't in the middle of a fricking maze, this could probably go on for days! But as fate had it, they are, which is why they eventually had to snap back to reality.

Finally, Nan XiSheng reluctantly spoke up in order to break the silence, "If the two of you are related, why is your surname Shi, while Senior Brother's is Liu?"

"Oh, that's simple! I took on our family name, which is Shi, meanwhile, FengFeng went with his mother's name, which was Liu."

"Was there a need to separate it? And what do you mean by his mother? Don't the two of you share the same mom?"

"Of course... not! Our dad was royalty and he had a lot of concubines. My birth mother is the empress, while FengFeng's was born from a woman whom our father used to dote on. Because of his actions, it lead to--"

"Hua-er, I think that's quite enough. Did you forget what task we still have to complete?"

"Oh, I'm sorry! I got a little off topic there. Sorry, where were we?"

"Let's just go and find the exit to this damn place. We're running out of time and I'm also starting to have a bad feeling that something really big is going to happen soon."

He couldn't afford to have something happen.

Not now.

He wasn't ready to lose what he had.

Not yet.

Please, just give him more time so he could treasure these precious days...

Before they all go up in flames.

"Alright!"

With Zero taking the lead, Shi Lanhua (who had totally forgotten that her future husband is still in the middle of a huge misunderstanding) to his right, and Nan XiSheng to his left, the trio began to head towards the finishing point.

- - -

Time is ticking...
There's no more time
Time is irreversible
Everything becomes 
A distant memory
Pain, Sorrow, Grief
And... Death
Then finally
Nothing

"I'm sorry" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I couldn't protect you"

24