Request
96 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          “Help?” Ryoma asked.

          Yukina couldn’t believe that she was asking a stranger to help her. And what made it even worse was that she was rude to the said stranger. Now she was expecting help from him. She hoped that he would at least listen to her. After all, Roselia’s music was on the line.

          But the problem was… how could she tell him her problem? She never asked help from anyone before except from Lisa and her father and that was on rare occasions. Forming proper sentences in her mind was difficult and the words she wanted to say didn’t leave her mouth.

          Asking for help was simple so why was she having a hard time? The reason was her pride as a musician was big. She was too proud of being a musician to the point that she didn’t look around her. Being too focused on perfecting her music along with her comrades made her ignore other things such as being friendly to a person who was living with her under the same roof.

          “Ummm… Minato-san?” Ryoma called out.

          “My laptop broke”, she blurted.

          She felt like an idiot. The talented Yukina Minato was having a hard time conversing. Talking to Roselia’s members and other people such as Kasumi didn’t faze her but somehow, speaking to him proved to be difficult. She was feeling uneasy. Then she wondered why she was uneasy. Yukina was able to hold conversations to her fans although she was a bit aloof. The songstress then pieced things together. All her friends were girls, she was in an all-girl’s school, and the only male in her life was her father. In other words, she had no experience dealing with men.

          “Umm… I don’t think I can help you. I mean… I’m not a technician”, Ryoma replied.

          “No. That’s not it”, she said.

          She couldn’t believe she was nervous and becoming self-conscious. Her lack of contact with men was overwhelming her. To her, music was everything. Therefore, men, appearances, cooking, and other things that a girl her age should be interested were not in her mind.

          “Okaay… What is it?” Ryoma asked.

          “Music”, she answered.

          “What about it?”

          Yukina couldn’t think properly. She then remembered what Lisa told her about men. Yukina didn’t know what was “cute” or “handsome” men looked like except for her father who was labeled “handsome” by the other ladies in the neighborhood. She looked at his eyes and then looked away. Her inexperience was getting in her way.

          Ryoma started plucking his guitar and Yukina thought that he was getting impatient. A few minutes passed and nothing happened.

          Meanwhile, Ryoma was getting a little bit scared. His first impression of Yukina was that she was scary and if she was asking for help, it must be something serious. The problem was: he couldn’t muster the courage to press her for more information. He had to wait.

          And there they were, waiting.

          Yukina couldn’t handle it anymore and left. She was angry at herself for not being able to ask for help. If it was because of her pride, she would be able to understand. However, she wasn’t able to ask him because she was inexperienced in communicating.

          She crashed to her bed and was thinking of ways to get out of the mess she was in. Yukina got tired of dreaming and she drifted off to dreamland.

###

          “Yukina. Where are you going?” Lisa asked.

          “I’ll be stopping by somewhere. Go to the studio without me”, Yukina answered.

          Lisa looked at the troubled face of her childhood friend and she stood up.

          “Okay. Try not to push yourself too hard”, she said and got outside.

          Yukina went to the computer shop to have her laptop repaired.

          “Hmmmm… You said that your laptop will only show a blue screen right?” the male worker asked.

          “Yes”

          “There are too many possible causes for this. Is it possible that you leave your laptop here while we analyze it?”

          “Yes”

          “Alright”

          Yukina exited the shop. She successfully talked to a male. But then… it wasn’t counted since it was pure business only. The times she talked to men in a non-business matter was near to 0.

          She went to the studio and everyone was already there.

          “Let’s start”

          “What should we sing?” Ako asked.

          “LOUDER”, Yukina answered.

          “What? We’re doing that again?” Ako complained.

          “Udagawa-san. We need to practice and perfect this song. If Yukina says that we need to improve, then we definitely need to improve”, Sayo told her.

          “But I want to hear the new song”, Ako said.

          That hit a sore spot for Yukina as she remembered her failed attempt in talking to Ryoma.

          “It isn’t ready yet. Now let’s start”

          After their session, they went on their way home. Lisa and Yukina walked together.

          “How are things between you and Ryoma-kun?” Lisa asked.

          “You know him?” Yukina asked.

          “Yes. We met earlier today when he went on a morning jog”, Lisa answered.

          Yukina was silent for a while.

          “We’re staying out of each other’s way”, she said and wondered whether that was a good thing or a bad thing.

          Lisa looked a bit disappointed and their road to home was filled with silence.

          Yukina arrived at her room when her phone buzzed.

          Good evening. This is Doyobi Electronics. Your laptop is an old model so we are having a difficult time analyzing. Also, we found some damaged parts that may have contributed to the condition of your laptop. We already requested some parts from the main service center but it would take around a month for it to arrive since there are many orders. We hope for your sincere consideration, the text said.

          Yukina couldn’t believe it. The concert was nearing and she didn’t have anything to make music. No.. She had one hope.

          She texted Lisa.

          Y: Lisa. How do you talk to boys?  

          L: OMG. Yukina! Are you finally getting interested in something other than music? Is it Ryoma?

          Y: I just need him.

          L: You need him badly?

          Y: Yes

          L: I didn’t think that you would develop so fast

          Y: Please tell me how to do talk to boys.

          L: Ok. First: Do you have the accessories I bought for you?

          Y: Yes. But what is the connection with those two?

          L: Try to look good. Wear those butterfly hairclips I got you. They would look so cute. And try wearing a neat dress.

          Y: What does my appearance have to do with talking to boys?

          L: Appearance is everything.

          Y: And?

          L: Talk to him first. Gather up courage. Try talking about the same things you both like

          Y: Okay. I’ll try it out.

          L: Go get him girl!

          Yukina did what Lisa told and she headed down to the living room where she thought Ryoma was. And she found out that he wasn’t there.

          “Looking for Ryoma? He’s at his room”, her father said.

          Yukina walked upstairs as her father wondered why his daughter looked prettier than usual.

          Nervousness ran through her body as she was standing in front of his bedroom’s door. She steeled her nerves and knocked.

          “Come in”, his voice said and she opened the door.

          His room was plain-looking with white walls, a simple desk, and a blue bed. She assumed that he liked the color blue.

          “What’s wrong?” Ryoma asked.

          He put down the book he was reading and Yukina felt a little bit ashamed for disturbing him while he was studying.

          Ryoma wondered what was going on with Yukina. She came to his room and was well-dressed. Did she need him for something? He thought for a while and the only clues he got was that her laptop was broken and it had something to do with music.

          “Anyways. Sit anywhere you like”, Ryoma told her.

          Yukina sat on his bed. She found it to be comfy.

          “What’s wrong?” Ryoma asked her.

          Yukina practiced for this but somehow, she was still having a hard time. Her pride as a musician and her inexperience was getting in the way again.

          Seeing that things wouldn’t go anywhere again this time, Ryoma picked up his guitar and started strumming.

(Liar Mask)

(By: Takeki Otsuka)

(Composed by Ryoma in this universe)

Kuchihateru you ni moyuru tsuki
Akatsuki ni shizumiyuku

Tsukurareta kao de sotto chikadzuite
Shinjiru mono wo yami ni otosu

Ito ni karamaru emono no you ni
Tada hitasura ni sora wo aogu

Kurikaesareru higeki bukimi ni warau ura no kao
Kore ijou nani hitotsu nakusanai you ni katana wo nuku

Yami ni houmure yogoreta egao
Yariba no nai ikari, hanate!
Doredake no chi to namida wo nagashitara...
Inoru you ni kiri saite
Kyou mo akaku someage yo!

“What was that?” Yukina asked.

“A song I once wrote. I got inspired after reading a book about a soldier in war”, Ryoma answered.

Yukina lost her nervousness. The person in front of her wasn’t an unknown entity. He was also a musician. That was it. All she had to do was look at him as a musician and she could be as comfortable as she can. After all, musicians, no matter what age or gender, are musicians. They are passionate about music. And Ryoma showed the same flame of a musician in his song and Yukina felt its warmth. She could trust him.

“Could you help me with my music?” she asked.

 

3