Chapter 13: Negotiation {?}
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Calahan's expression turned astonished.

“Sounds more like a warning than a fairy tale…”

While still looking at the tablet computer screen in his hand, Alex nodded

"The special team that investigated it claims that the key to helping us lies in this fairy tale."

Calahan is reading the fairy tale on his smartphone again

"But I guess they have a point, who would turn a story like this into a fairy tale anyway?"

Alex smiled

“Isn't that right? Maybe there really is a hidden message to be conveyed from the fairy tale.”

Calahan's expression turned serious.

“Even though it seems like an act of desperation, to investigate a fairy tale.”

Alex's expression turned deadpan

"Maybe, I don't know either."

They focused back on their smartphone.

Alex is now standing in front of a row of windows with a beautiful view of the city. However, Calahan's attention was focused on the clear and slightly cloudy blue sky, watching it with a serious expression as if something in the sky was bothering him. Before long, Calahan's expression turned astonished.

"Recently, a lot of interesting things have happened, the problems from some of our members trying to break into the G.O.DS Headquarters hasn't been solved, now it's Black Star too."

With a serious expression, Alex kept his focus on the sky in front of him.

"It's up to them Calahan, it's better for us to prioritize the problems we will face right now."

Calahan's expression turned deadpan as he watched Alex from behind.

“Speaking of Black Star, should we discuss again what we will try to talk to him about if he comes to us?”

Alex's gaze finally shifted from the window pane before him and he turned to look at Alex.

“Although I don't like to admit it either, we have to accept the fact that we have to regard Black Star as an enemy.”

Calahan put his smartphone on a nearby table, then crossed his arms.

“We're entrusted here as a last resort to negotiate with him, but is this even going to work?”

Alex smiled.

"Whatever happens, at least we can get an idea whether we can fight him or not."

Calahan's expression turned deadpan.

"I know this building has pretty strong defenses, but how strong are they actually?"

Alex answered while walking towards the single couch near Calahan and sat down.

“This skyscraper is a branch of a secret quarters belonging to the G.O.DS with the intention of not only for G.O.DS members, but also as a makeshift bunker for the people if needed. Built as tough as a military fortress, its frame is made of thick alloy making it very sturdy and difficult to demolish. It has a defense mechanism against ground and air attacks, even all the window’s panes are thick bulletproof glass that can even withstand multiple rocket launcher or tank gun hits. So technically, we are safe here.”

Calahan's expression turned astonished.

“Technically? You mean according to the terms and conditions that apply?”

Alex smiled.

“Black Star probably won't stop until he takes out all the G.O.DS quarters, we also don't know which buildings he will attack first. So here we are, representing to oversee this building. Let's just hope we're not the first to be attacked… I guess the other supervisors are also hoping for the same thing, hahaha.”

Alex laughed casually. On the other hand, Calahan's expression looked a little stressed.

“Black Star… is this like the type of heroes and villains that the G.O.DS always warn us to watch out for?”

Alex nodded; his expression turned serious.

“I also remember that too. Either someone stays or goes from a hero to a villain or vice versa, but basically, there are only three types of heroes: First, those who make themselves monsters. Second, those who brought monsters to help them. And the third… is both.”

Calahan's expression turned serious.

Shortly after, there was a loud bang followed by a momentary violent shaking of this skyscraper as if it was about to collapse. Because of that, Calahan and Alex were surprised. Shortly after, the computer AI voice sounding on the speakers spread across several corners of the building.

“An unknown object strikes the building, begins to identify the enemy. Activate the building's defense system, all parties please immediately head to the set position."

Even so, Calahan and Alex stayed where they were and didn't plan to leave their place. Outside, muffled sounds of explosions and gunshots could be heard, as well as the shaking of this building that was getting worse as if it was about to collapse. After a while, the computer AI voice sounded.

“The unknown object confirmed as Black Star.”

Calahan's expression turned surprised.

"Why is he here? What happened to the discussions at the Pentagon?”

Alex's expression looked surprised.

“Something went wrong, this might have something to do with the communication being cut off from there.”

Calahan's expression turned serious.

"What are the chances of us surviving this?"

Alex's expression turned serious.

"Let's just say that if this building defense can withstand Black Star's attacks for more than five minutes, then we still have chances of defeating him."

A few moments later, the atmosphere suddenly became silent. Alex looked at his watch and appeared to have predicted this.

"Okay, it turns out that under five minutes, you already understand what it means."

Calahan's expression turned deadpan, then sighed. They remained calm as if nothing had happened. For a few moments, things were quiet, making them both look surprised. Calahan appeared to realize something.

“By the way, I guess we can shorten G.O.DS’s explanation about the three types of heroes just now to “Only disaster can fight the disaster.”

Alex looked slightly surprised.

“Damn you, I should be the one who is wise here, hahaha.”

Alex laughed casually, making Calahan's expression turn astonished.

Not long after, another bang was heard, followed by a vigorous shaking of the building. The two of them finally stood up from their seats. Calahan looked alert and immediately pulled his handgun from the handgun holster attached to the belt at his waist, then pointed it in the direction he was looking. Before long, Calahan appeared to realize something; his expression turned deadpan.

“Why did I ready my gun anyway.”

However, Calahan continued to watch around him while aiming his gun at the ready-to-shoot stance. Alex operated his smartphone for a while, then put it back in his suit jacket's inner pocket.

“I have confirmed the emergency situation to all GODS quarters around the world, whether it is of any use or not….”

Calahan looked at Alex with a serious expression, then nodded.

Before long, a black silhouette hovered from above in front of a row of tall windows behind them. This silhouette pierced the building quickly and instantly shattered the thick bulletproof glass window pane, causing Calahan and Alex to immediately turn towards the window with shocked expressions. Calahan pointed his handgun at the person in front of them. This black silhouette is now standing in front of Alex and Calahan.

Visible from behind, only from the neck down to the waist, the black silhouette is a tall man with his whole body covered in black metal armor, with back rib cage-like additional armor at his back similar to an exoskeleton. The armor on his upper arms has additional armor, the armor on the shoulders also has additional armor that is connected to the armor that forms a high collar on the neck, and this armor also extends to the left and right upper back where the center is separated by additional armor that looks like the backbone and part of his additional exoskeleton-like armor.

Additional armor on armor on the upper arms also extends to the elbows, to the upper part and sides part of the forearms, and to the backs of the hands and upper part of the fingers. This additional armor appears to move following the movement of this man's body. The man gripped his arm, causing the additional armor on his upper arm, elbow, and wrist to expand and open into another shape. Followed by additional armor on the right and left upper back, and additional armor on the whole body opens and forms like a carved pattern that can move following Black Star's movements so that its shape becomes more ferocious. This man with unusual black metal armor was the one people called the Black Star. Alex looked at Calahan, who looked shocked and still pointed his handgun at Black Star.

"He just pierced through a bulletproof glass. What are you doing?"

Calahan immediately came to his sense and looked back at Alex while still pointing his handgun toward Black Star.

“I can't pass up the chance or even the slightest possibility of defeating him.”

Calahan focused back toward Black Star, making Alex shake his head while looking astonished. Alex looked at Black Star while smiling.

“Welcome, we have been waiting for you Black Star. Before you beat us up, we want to talk to you about something.”

Blackstar replied

"I'm not here to negotiate."

Black Star was about to do something, causing Calahan and Alex to go into shock. Alex immediately continued speaking.

"This is about the possibility that if something went wrong in our organization and we are currently investigating it, we will show you the results of our investigation which might interest you."

Hearing that, Black Star canceled what he was about to do. On the other hand, Calahan and Alex gasped for breath because as if they had just avoided death, Calahan then lowered his handgun.

0