Episode 9
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Elite Squad is not in the plan. I feel numb and disjointed. I’m supposed to report to Hallow Point for Guard duty. I'm supposed to fade into oblivion as a member of the countless, faceless warriors guarding the wall. I’m supposed to live in solitude in my family home, quiet, and unbothered.

Instead, I sit with my knees pressed against the back of a stiff metal seat in a transport car, on its way to Centrum. I took my leave immediately after the ceremony while the other graduates met with family and friends to spend the night celebrating. I should be hours away from stepping foot inside my family’s home. Now, I’m hours away from being in the center of our nation, surrounded by all the governing leaders and high-ranking officers that declared my family traitors.

My knees slam hard into the steel seat’s frame with the movement of something being loaded into the cargo section. I look around for a better seat. The transport's thick all-terrain tires make for a bumpy ride. And with the three additional cargo cars attached, it’ll be a slow, uncomfortable trip.

We’ll be traveling to the underground tunnel entrance our region shares with Beacon Lakes. It’ll be the closest I’ve been to home since they sent me to the academy.

I stand and give my legs a shake to get the blood flowing. I move to the back row so my legs can stretch out into the aisle, and stay out of anyone else's way. The grinding sound of metal against metal rings out as the cargo doors slowly slide close. “All clear” from the transport team passes down outside to the front car. The tops of their uniform caps scurry along the bottom of the windows on either side of me. I guess I’m the only passenger going to Centrum. With a jarring lurch, we’re moving and my knees thank me for switching seats.

The white dome of the arena, the place where I found my strength, grows smaller as we pass through the academy’s tall, iron gates. My stomach dips as the academy grows small in the distance.

My sigh is loud across the empty rows in front of me. Now that I’m sure I’m alone, I lean back and close my eyes to get some rest. It’s hard to let my guard down. I should take advantage of the time and get some sleep. But the constant buzz of questions I keep putting off surface to bombard my mind.

How am I going to survive living under the scrutiny of the leaders that condemned my family? How am I going to keep my abilities a secret working closely with the Elite Squad? They’re a tight-knit team made up of the best warriors in our nation. Maybe I should think about the most pressing concern. How am I going to get through tonight’s banquet?

I thought I had a choice of leaving the academy early and getting at least one night of recon, before I faced the Elites, but I was given this transport assignment to leave asap.

Tonight, I’ll be in a dress uniform again, among this year’s top graduates for a celebration dinner, attendance required. Regional generals and national leaders will look over the top graduates to see who they might want to promote for their service.

As an Oren, I won’t have to worry about impressing an officer. Or try to compete with the other graduates to secure a better post. The only post I want is the one the other graduates already have. Plus, I'm designated for the Elites anyway.

I shift to let my arms drape over the armrests to try and relax. All night in a room full of strangers. Strangers that know all about me and my family. My throat tightens, making it hard to swallow. With the other warriors vying for attention, maybe I’ll have no trouble fading into the background. I’ll stick to the walls and make my escape once the speeches finish.

The rocking of the transport and the dull, rhythmic crunch of the tires lull my thoughts to a quiet hum. The weight of my head grows heavy. My legs slide further down the aisle in a stretch as I drift off.

“Excuse me.” A soft, close voice says.

Everything is dark and there’s a steady, warm tap on my shoulder. I inhale deep. The air is sugary, no, less sweet, more like honey. Suddenly, colors and images flood my mind in rapid succession behind my closed eyes.

***

The Hollow Point village square is before me. Shops line the streets and doors open inviting the bright morning sun. I smell my favorite treats from Rosa’s Bakery. She stands outside her brightly colored doors, ready to sneak red-colored cookies into my pockets for the day. Rosa’s warm, joyful face creases with a lifetime of laughter. A knot of silver hair is high on her head, twisted like the cinnamon buns on display in her window.

The images change.

Puffs of dust rise from the village street and sting my eyes. I look down and see my small legs covered in dirt. They burn and ache as I try to keep up with the guard in front of me. He yanks my arm forward hard enough to make me bite my tongue. Soon my steps don’t connect with the ground as he tires of my pace and my shoulder throbs in misery.

He drags me down the main street into the square. Neighbors, friends, and shop owners line the street with angry, ugly faces. They reach for me, pulling my shirt so tight it’s hard to breathe. I’m hit hard on the back and stumble to the ground, scraping the skin off my chin. They shout and yell words I don’t understand. I’m pulled back to my feet, but my legs give out right away.

I crumple right in front of Rosa. Her favorite pink shiny slippers step into view, kicking more dirt into my eyes. I blink fast; the tears coming to my aid as I pull my knees under me to stand. My heart is beating so fast and loud it drowns out everyone else.

I don’t see the hand she uses to push me back to the ground. I don’t hear the words her turned down mouth releases. I don’t expect her hot angry spit. But I do hear the silence of my heart as her attack slides down my forehead.

***

A hand pushes my shoulder roughly and the images burn away as fast as they formed. Before I’m fully awake, my arm flies out to knock my attacker away as I bolt out of my seat to stand in the aisle.

“Whoa!” the voice shouts.

I blink as rapidly as my chest rises and falls. It’s a girl, a very short girl in a cadet uniform.

“Your eyes . . .” she whispers and steps in close, rising on her toes to get a better look.

I squeeze my eyes shut and push my powers deep inside my chest. On instinct, my arm extends in front of me to push her away with an open palm. I over estimate her height and end up connecting with her forehead in a loud smack.

She makes a sound close to a growl but more feral, forcing my eyes open. Her eyes bug out and shift from hazel to green. And I'm a little scared of this tiny fury.

Before I can remove my palm from her forehead, her right forearm shoots up and drops fast in a chop block, knocking my hand down and away. Twisting at the waist, she pulls her left hand back, letting it fly from the momentum to deliver an open palm blow to the middle of my chest.

I'm so unprepared I fall back into my seat. I'm stunned at her well-executed warrior move. A move I know how to avoid. No one has gotten the drop on me in years. Sizing her up, my hand goes to rub the sting on my chest before I act like I’m smoothing my uniform shirt instead. Never let them see they affected you. She hits hard for a tiny cadet.

I’ve never really fought a girl before, though. I guess because Cole had dibs on me. She straightens, standing tall. Her eyes narrow on me before flinging her long brown ponytail back. Her stare is intense, like she’s waiting for something. An apology?

“Well?” She asks, taking a step towards me.

I’m still spread awkwardly in my seat. My abilities swell. I take in a big breath and stand to get some distance when the sweet scent from my dream registers. She smells sweet, like honey.

“Well?” I mimic before I can stop myself.

One of her brows arches at my question.

“What were you trying to do while I slept?” I accuse.

She huffs a breath out through her nose.

“No,” she responds.

“No? That’s not an answer.”

She’s a head shorter than me, but she may as well be taller the way she holds herself.

“I mean, no, we’re not talking about that. I want to know what’s up with your eyes.”

I put everything I have into blanking my expression. “My eyes? They were closed.” I swirl my finger around my face. “I was sleeping, in case you forgot.”

She takes a step closer, and I take one back, effectively trapping myself against the back wall of the car.

“I know what I saw. Right when you woke up they were . . .” She trails off leaning in close again.

Please don’t say glowing, please don’t say glowing. I repeat to myself as if I could will her response.

“Different.”

“Wow.” I let out a chuckle. “Maybe I smacked your head harder than I thought.”

I stand away from the wall and use my height to tower over her. She cranes her neck up, showing no fear and keeps her fiery green eyes on mine. I lower my head to her level and speak slowly.

“Take a good look.”

Her eyes dart between mine and her lips turn down in a pout before opening to argue some more. The only way to shut this down is to speak first.

“Wait.” I try to smirk like I’ve seen Cole do when he thinks he’s being slick. “Is this some kind of a… are you trying to flirt with me?”

I must’ve pulled it off because I get the same surprised look Cole gets when he does it.

“Because, I’m sorry to say. I’m not interested.”

Her mouth drops open before it snaps closed. Not willing to waste the distance her shock gives me, I step over the row in front of me to escape. I walk down the aisle and fold my body into a window seat. Her steps barely make a sound as she follows.

Normally, I’d leave the area, leave the situation, but there’s nowhere to go. I’m stuck in this transport car with her. I pretend to stare out the window, but the blur of the gray tunnel walls only make her reflection stand out clear.

She scowls at the back of my head. I’m out of ideas on how to get rid of her. Why is she on this transport? She must be on leave to visit family in Centrum. Cadets don’t get leave unless there is a special family situation.

Her sharp intake of breath has me out of my seat before I know why. I turn to face her, but my eyes fly past to the dense fog rising up the windows behind her. My chest burns and my abilities pulse to life as fast as the fog is moving.

Fog comes from the demon territory of the Mist. When the walls were put up, the Mist retreated with the demons. What's it doing in the tunnel to our nation’s capital? The cadet's body is frozen, staring at the windows behind me. Soon the tunnel will flood with the atmosphere of the Mist. And where there's fog, there's demons.

Our boy can't catch a break. And what do you think about little Rain? 
Thanks for stopping by.

1