Episode 50
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The cafeteria is busy with officers, governing officials, and admin staff. I'm at the entrance watching Cole sit between Fletcher and Luce. Addy’s yellow head shakes when they start laughing at once. They talk at the same time, yet understand each other perfectly.

“We should skip dinner.” 

I turn to Iva and flinch back, surprised he's not absorbed in his device. 

“Fine.” I want this over with.

“Skipping dinner? Captain’s not going to like that.” Kane steps in front of us and slaps a palm to the center of Iva’s chest.

“Better move before she gets here.” He walks between us into the cafeteria.

“Let’s go.” Iva leads for me to follow.

“That was weird.” I mutter catching up. Why didn't he make us stay?

“That was Kane.” He shrugs and takes the turn to the labs instead of the officer’s wing.

“He’s second for a reason.” He reaches into his chest pocket to pull out a metallic security card.

“Huh.” Guess we don’t have to break into Buckler’s office after all.

“Yeah. Now I have two sets of sticky fingers to worry about.” Iva side-eyes me with his lopsided smile.

First Addy and now Kane. My top skills on this squad are redundant. We reach the tech lab first and my powers thrum through my senses. A scan of our surroundings tells me all is quiet in this wing.

“I need to rework the security feed before we go to the science lab.” Iva says.

That makes sense. The untraceable access card wouldn't help us with the cameras.

“Someone’s coming.” I say before I can think through how I shouldn't know that.

The shuffling footsteps are still several feet from turning this way. He stops and stares at the entrance of the hall. 

“Don’t get paranoid. I need you . . .” His words trail off when Dr. Quinn’s assistant steps into view.

His eyes fly to mine and narrow. He’s trying to figure me out. All I can do is turn away as Jane comes closer hoping he drops it. Her steps stutter seeing Iva and blush floods her cheeks. She clutches her clipboard in one hand and a glass tube in the other.

“Hi Iva.” Her shaky voice is soft.

“Hey Jane. Not hungry this evening?” He leans casually against the wall by the security panel.

“Oh, right.” She turns her wrist with the clipboard to check her watch. “It’s dinner time already. I need to run this to the science team, and then we can . . . I mean, I’ll go to dinner after. Hello Warrior Oren.” She’s talking to me but looking at her shoes.

“We can join you, right Oren?” Iva steps away from the wall and nods for me to do the same. 

Jane stares up at me with a hopeful smile.

“We’ll follow you while you wrap up and then go to dinner together.” He gives her a playful bump in the shoulder.

“Really?” 

“Of course.” 

I trail behind. Now we don’t have to spend time on the security camera feed with Jane as our escort. She's our all access pass to the lab. We wait for her to find her metallic card. She’s a fumbling mess normally, but Iva brings out the worst.

“Here.” He reaches a hand out. “Let me hold all this for you.”

“Thank you.” She gushes.

“What’s in the vial?” I ask.

It’s a clear thick liquid with a slight shimmer to it.

“The daily withdrawal from the Rex.”  Jane mumbles around the pen she has clenched between her teeth. 

“Daily withdrawal?” Iva holds the vial up high letting the overhead lights shine through it.

“Yeah, General Targe used to send them in from his regional lab. Now that the Rex is here, we have to do it.” Jane’s rustling through another pocket.

“Targe had the Rex in captivity all this time?” His face has gone blank.

“For a little over twelve years I think. And between us, He wasn’t happy about giving it up. I guess that’s why you’re going out to capture another one.” Her words are spoken into her chest as she continues to search her pockets.

Iva and I glance at one another and then the vial.

 “Found it.” She smiles holding up her card.

With a quick swipe, the doors open, and we follow her inside. The lab is empty except for a small team in the hazmat room. They work on the mysterious green goo.

Jane holds her hand out. “I’ll drop off the vial and my report and we can go.” Iva reluctantly places the vial and the clipboard into her hand.

“Wait here.” Jane leans close and pushes her glasses back. “Right here okay? I’m not sure you should be here after hours.” Her eyes dart across the lab.

Iva gives her a warm smile with a hand on her shoulder. She gapes up at him, melting into his touch.

“We’re Elite warriors, we’re sworn to secrecy to handle all classified missions, remember?”

“Of course.” She shakes her head as if to clear it. “I’ll be back.”

She walks straight to the hazmat area, stands in front of the safety glass, and presses a green button. A hidden compartment slides out from the wall beneath the glass. Jane sets the vial and the clipboard into the metal drawer. She retrieves a green glowing vial and slips it into her lab coat pocket.

“You’re up sticky fingers.” Iva whispers to me.

“Sure, give me the hard part.” I grumble back.

“What?” Iva shrugs. “I’m the one that has to keep her distracted.”

I spit air out between my teeth. “All you have to do is look at her, and she’s distracted.”

Iva winks at me and then calls her over. Jane shuffles to our side. He throws an arm around her to maneuver the pocket with the vial toward me.

“Algar, Oren, why aren’t you at dinner?” General Targe’s gruff voice sounds from the lab entryway.

The thick safety doors must dampen my hearing. The worst possible time to not have the heads up someone was coming, especially Targe. We both snap to salute.

“On our way. We’re escorting Ms. Quinn now sir.” Iva’s answer is smooth and steady.

Ms. Quinn? I had no idea she’s related to the doctor.

“And it takes two Elites to do that?” Targe questions.

We maintain our salute, neither bothering to answer his question.

“Dismissed warriors, clear out immediately.” He walks further into the lab.

We move between lab stations covered in beakers and equipment to the exit. Targe is followed by five warriors wearing the gray uniform of gate guards. The warriors are huge, similar in mass to Kane but younger, maybe a few years past graduation.

Jane is already at the door as Iva and I follow slowly watching Targe. The scientists in the hazmat room greet the general and vacate as well. He's clearing the lab.

“You don’t need a key to exit.” Iva whispers over his shoulder.

“What about the vial?” 

He tosses his wavy brown hair back. “I’ll grab it. And set the camera feed.”

I give him one last glare and drop behind one of the countertops.

“Five minutes, no more.” He says before ducking out.

The security door bolt slides closed and a suction signals it's sealed. My powers run through my body and I shake my hair over my eyes to hide the flash. The energy disperses through my muscles and veins and my body sighs in relief. I’m fluid and alert.

“Grab the vials, Green.” Targe commands.

The screech of metal rings sliding across a curtain rod makes me shiver.

“Holden, you're up.” The general says.

I scoot soundless over the cold tiles, between tables for a better view. They’re next to the hazmat lab in a medical examination room. It’s all white tile and stainless steel like the infirmary at the academy. One of the warriors, Holden, I assume, lies on a white padded bed. The other warriors secure thick black leather straps to his wrists and ankles.

I want to be closer but I don’t have a visual on Targe yet. The other warriors line up on the far wall of the examination room once the straps are secure. Holden is relaxed against the restraints. Targe comes into view, exiting the hazmat lab. He holds a thin silver syringe that looks like a gun with a three inch long needle at the end. The slide and click of a glass vial being loaded makes Holden’s heartbeat erratic. He’s terrified.

Targe holds the syringe up to the ceiling lights, giving the vial a tap with his finger nail. The muscles in his forearm contract with a squeeze of the syringe trigger. A glowing green liquid shoots into the air. Targe lowers his arm and jabs the needle into Holden’s neck plunging the green liquid in one fluid motion.

My gasp is loud and I’m ready to sprint to the door but no one heard me. How could they over Holden’s muffled screams? His body convulses, shaking the metal frame of the bed. Screws ping against the tile from the force. His groans rise into long, gut wrenching bellows. The sterile laboratory air turns sick with sweat and piss.

I lean over, out into the aisle, for a better look. Holden’s head jerks up. The tendons in his neck are thick and ropey with the strain, like they could pop any second. His mouth is covered with a leather strap that’s secured to the bed frame.

“That’s it son.” Targe praises.

His stance is relaxed, almost bored, as his warrior is brutalized by whatever he administered. My time is up but I can’t move. Holden’s heart skips and stutters. His body convulses and I’m sure it will give out soon. The bed squeaks and screeches against the floor and worn out vocal chords shriek curdling whimpers. My stomach rolls sick. There’s nothing I can do to help him. I have to turn away and leave. 

I peer into the hazmat lab as I pass. The clear vial Jane delivered is still inside the metal drawer. The scientists didn’t have time to empty it before they were ordered out. There’s no direct line of sight from the medical room. So, I crouch underneath the security glass and press the green button. The tray jiggles and slides out toward me.

“Green, grab the latest report from the lab. I want to check on its progress.” The scuff of boots is right outside the medical room.

A few more seconds and my hand can fit inside the drawer. But it’s sliding out too slow. I jam my fingers in the opening and push more power into my arm to pry it open. The metal gears groan but I keep pulling since they can’t hear me over Holden's distress. I grab the clear vial, push it closed, and flatten underneath the window. The tray jiggles above my head as the clipboard with Jane’s report is removed. I'm on my belly and crawl along the tile floor to the exit. 

​I gulp in big breaths as I lean over my knees outside in the hall. Clearing the stench of Targe's abuse. My powers retreat and I'm hollow. Holden's keening gurgled cries creep over me and I rub my arms as if I can shake it off.

“About time.” 

I lunge forward, fists up.

“Whoa. Definitely a fight response.” He starts to chuckle but drops it the longer he takes me in.

“What is it?” His hands come up to rest on each of my shoulders.

I can’t help it, I sag against his hold. I'm sick and drained at what I just witnessed.

“Shit.” His breathing increases when I can't hide I’m affected. 

“Let’s get out of here.” 

I straighten up and nod. 

“Sorry. It’s... shit . . .” I don’t even know how to finish my sentence or tell him what I saw. “We should find Kane.”

“Kane? That bad?” Iva runs his hands through his hair, looking around.

“Yeah.” I give him the vial of thick clear liquid.

He reaches into his pant pocket and holds up the green glowing tube he swiped from Jane. 

“Can’t get Kane. He’s training the officers now.” Iva mutters. “The captain?”

I cringe at his suggestion. 

“Okay.” What other choice do we have?

Thanks for the reads! And if you're ready for the finale it's ready for you on my Patreon.

0