Episode 53
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Here’s what we know about our target.” Iva swipes the table monitor and a hologram of the Rex demon rises up in the center.

Its smooth, thin skin head is too humanoid in comparison to the other species.

“Damn, that’s ugly.” Fletcher yawns out before slumping in his chair.

“Yes and damn smart too.” Iva continues. “I’ve only been able to swipe minimal intel. But we believe it has the ability to command other species.”

“What?” Luce's eyebrows shoot up. She seems five years younger without the usual half lidded scowl.

“That’s not confirmed.” Kane sits straighter in his seat.

“Correct. It is not. However, our favorite general . . .”

“Iva.” The captain interrupts.

He clears his throat. “The point is, we have to proceed with caution. No one has tapped into the full capabilities of this species. There's only one in captivity.”

“Not after today.” Fletcher downs the rest of his coffee.

“That’s right, Elites.” The captain stands, places her hands on the table, and leans in towards us. “We will succeed. Stay alert at all times. Zero mistakes. They’ve thrown us in the deep before. This time, we have untested equipment and an untested tag along. Everyone knows what to do.”

She meets Kane's eyes, then moves to Luce. She walks around to connect with each of us.

“Regardless of the target, regardless of the circumstances, who gets the job done?”

“Elite Squad.” The team answers together.

“Who?” She prompts louder.

“Elite Squad!” 

The captain observes the determination staring back at her. “Only each other.” Her gaze locks on me and I read her loud and clear.

“Understood.” I say.

“I love the sound of obedience in the morning.” General Targe enters the mission room, a vacuum of positive energy.

Iva flicks his hand over the table monitor and the hologram disappears. We salute the general. 

“At ease warriors.” Buckler enters with Cole at his side. "Load up has commenced. Warrior Targe will equip you.”  He claps a hand on Cole’s back. I catch a wince before he nods to Buckler.

“I will remain in Centrum as the general is your direct report and command. Do Centrum proud, Elites.” Buckler says.

“Captain,” Targe calls her attention, “I expect you to provide your new member with his assignment. He will be an active participant in the mission.”

“Yes, sir.” 

“Good. Now move Elites.” Targe and the officers leave.

“Warrior Targe,” the captain calls him to the table, “we’re ready to gear up, on the double.”

“Yes, captain.” Cole opens the metallic case carrying our equipment.

“Gather around, squad.” Kane orders, and we rush forward.

I fight the urge to check my cargo pocket for my modified goggles. Once we’re in the Mist, I'll switch out. The loss of my camera feed will be chalked up to technical difficulties, I hope. I grab my gear from Cole and move to the exit to catch up with Iva.

“You good man?” Iva asks.

I blow out some air and nod.

“I’m on babysitting duty so you just do your thing.” He says.

“And what about the other one?” Wish we had someone staying at the wall with the backup team to spy on the general.

Iva elbows me in the side and leans in. “One Targe at a time.”

***

The mission transport is worlds apart from the passenger transport that brought me to Centrum. This one is more of a cargo car. Rows of seats line each wall facing inward. We’ll board up a ramp that doubles as the rear wall. The front is designed like a command station. Mounted monitors glow above a built-in counter where tablets and electronics light up the surface.

“Reverse formation.” Kane motions me to the front. I load in first. 

I pass Cole and Addy in the middle and can’t help but follow his stare. His eyes are trained inside our transport, on his father. I’m not too thrilled to see I’ll be sitting next to General Targe’s command center. I move my attention to the two connected cars leading the convoy. 

A squad of warriors loads in single file into the first car, dressed in gray guard uniforms. They’re the backup team and will stay behind the wall with Targe and the technicians monitoring us. A couple of hefty metal crates rattle up to the second, the holding car. It will secure our captured demon for the ride back to Centrum.

I lead the squad inside ours and stand in front of the last chair on the left. The rest of the warriors fall in. They alternate seating and face the warrior they’re next to in our battle formation. The captain and I are the points of the diamond, so we have empty seats in front of us. Targe takes the center seat at the command station.

“Strap in warriors.” Targe orders, facing the monitors.

Cole takes his seat as the rest of us wait on the captain’s command. He looks around at the Elites on either side of him. Before he stands back up, the captain gives us her nod to sit. He presses his lips together, a flush darkens his face. I smirk but the memory of him in my pod last night floods me with guilt. I shake it off. He does not get to make me feel guilty.

 I hook my arms underneath the chair’s harness, snapping the metal connectors together roughly. Clicks ring out through the car. The hydraulics of the ramp hiss as it rises off the ground to seal us in. With a jerk sideways, the transport rolls out.

“Your mission objective is to hunt and capture a Rex demon.” Targe wastes no time starting the debrief.

The same image Iva showed us in the mission room appears on the middle monitor. Targe slides the command chair on its track on the floor so everyone can see. He pauses, waiting for a reaction we don’t give. His confusion turns thunderous before a fake smile replaces it. 

Targe continues. “I will remain in this command center with the second squad inside the gate. We will monitor the video and tracking data. Warrior Targe has the tracker device calibrated to the Rex’s frequency."

“Any special conditions, general?” The captain says.

“It’s just another demon captain, nothing to be afraid of.” His smile is condescending at best.

“Yes, sir.” She gives him no sign of irritation.

Kane is punishing his metal seat frame with a white knuckle grip. The only thing keeping him from launching himself at the general. I don’t blame him. And not for the dig at the captain. If we hadn’t discovered intel about the demon’s abilities already, we’d walk into this mission blind. We’re not hunting a regular demon and the general knows it. 

”You'll enter the Mist from Hallow Point's Academy gate.” Targe's fingers swipe across the tablet in his hands and the monitors light up displaying the Academy’s layout. A red arrow highlights the gate behind the arena I haven’t seen since graduation.

“This area, specifically around the academy and Hallow Point Village, has the highest demon activity over any other region. However, over the past several weeks, all regions report a surge in attacks to their gates.” His reverent tone is a sharp contrast to his usual boisterous oppression.

Heart rates spike all around the transport. This information surprises everyone. 

“This may be the first of many missions to capture our target. It was last spotted outside the academy. Confidence is high it's still in the area. We’ll set up camp here.”  Targe turns to the monitor and points to the tunnel connected to the gate. The tunnel is expansive enough for entire transports to pass through easy. And it's a secure place for base operations.

“You will enter the Mist through the arena tunnel. Arrival is in three hours. You'll have ten minutes to load up and cross that gate.”

“Yes, sir.” Booms back in unison. 

With our debrief over, the squad leans back in their seats. Fletcher’s blonde head bounces with the transport, already snoring. Targe rolls his chair to the center of the control station, facing the rows of monitors. The other techs fill in the spots on either side of him, snapping to fulfill his every command.

Leaning back, I pretend to sleep. Part of me is excited to be back in the Mist. My powers pulse stronger, aching for release, with every mile that draws us closer. But mostly I’m nervous. The Mist is unpredictable, deadly. The atmosphere is dense in the true territory of the demons. It’s alive and responsive to our enemies’ calls.

 My power is alert and harder to control in the Mist. And I haven’t been beyond the wall since my abilities evolved. It'll take all my strength and attention to stop them from taking over. From becoming instinctual, overriding all other thoughts save for killing and staying alive. Which is why I'm leaving. 

Once the objective is secure, and we're back behind the wall, I'll run. Being back in my home region is the best chance I have. The uninhabited territory along the border of the neighboring region is heavy with forest and steep terrain. I can survive what others can't. I can survive on my own. But I can only survive if I run.

0