Episode 57
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“We’ll have to go up high.” I say.

The trees are the best place for shelter. We'll be too high for a ground attack. And the thick canopy keeps the Flick and Flyers out. She tilts her head back then tests the weight on her leg before giving me a doubtful look. I can’t help the smirk, knowing she’s not going to like what I’m about to say.

“You’ll have to let me carry you.” 

“Oh, no.” Her hands are back on her hips, ready to argue. “I can manage, warrior.”

“No, you can’t. And we don’t have time for you to pretend you can.”

She huffs out an air of frustration, making silky strands of hair float off her face.

“We need some distance from this.” I wave at the demon chunks starting to reek. “And find a tree thick enough to hide us for the night.”

Her shoulders sag, “Fine.” She drops her arms to her side. “But you’re not carrying me like some damn damsel in distress. I’ll jump on your back.”

“Yes, captain.” I turn around and crouch, so she doesn’t have to stress her injury.

“Oomph.”  I exaggerate when her tiny body latches on. Her legs and arms wrap around for a better grip.

“Oh please. I’ve seen what you can do, and I weigh nothing. Just a nugget, right?”

I stiffen at her knowledge of that nickname. She chuckles into my shoulder at my reaction.

“Mush, warrior.” She digs her knees into my sides for me to move.

“As you command, Captain Nugget.” 

Her warm breath puffs across the back of my neck from her silent laughter.

***

I trek through the forest with ease. The captain only dug her nails into my shoulders a few times. Once when I leapt over a five-foot mass of boulders. And again when I raced across a clearing filled with Grunt demons.

There’s a small voice of hope in my head interrupting my thoughts. It argues that we can stay. That we don’t have to run. She’s the only one that knows what I can do. I’m working hard to squash it. To fortify the defenses the captain's acceptance threatens. She could be pretending to be okay with what she saw. Lulling me into a false sense of calm since she’s out here on her own. The minute she’s with the others, she won't hesitate to have me locked up or executed. Being on guard is smart. It stems from a hard earned survival instinct. It’s safer to remember I'm alone.

“There.” The captain calls out over my shoulder, pointing to a thick tree trunk up ahead. “That one.” 

She gives my shoulders a gentle squeeze. I weave through the brush before giving up and high jumping over it instead.

“Is it weird I’m getting used to that?” She mumbles to herself. 

“This is good.” She wiggles out of my hold, but I grasp her legs tight to keep her in place.

“It’s already dark. We need up that tree faster than your leg will allow.” This stops her wiggling.

“You’re right.” She sighs.

“Sorry, I didn’t catch that. Say again?” 

“Don’t make me hurt you.” She warns.

I’m supposed to be pulling back, not encouraging the banter that easily happens between us. But when she lets herself be human, not the Elite officer, I’m drawn to engage. And that’s a problem.

“Hang on.” I adjust her weight to rest on my hips. I’ll need both hands to climb. “You might want to close your eyes. We're going to go fast.”

“Oh, God.” She moans and presses her forehead into my back.

The clatter of Grunt demons grows louder. I squat and push more energy into my legs for the leap. Raising both hands, I grip the heavy branch above and pull up. Shifting my energy to my arms to reach the next handhold above. I’ll have to rely on a series of pull-ups to get us high enough.

We're about ten feet off the ground when I find an abandoned Flyer nest. I swing hard for momentum, then I let go of my hold. The captain’s legs squeeze tight, threatening my lungs. We soar through the air and her nails dig in. I regain a hold on the thick branches that carry our shelter.

“Can’t breathe.” I grit out and her grip loosens, but only barely.

I pull up hard, adding extra power and launch us straight up into the nest. This tree was an excellent find. Its ancient bark is solid and smooth. A thick canopy weaves together to shield the expanse of the nest. It’s about eight feet in diameter, a small home for a Flyer but perfect for us. I walk across, finding few weak spots. The blanket of leaves that line the bottom are dry. But it'll be more comfortable than the ground.

The acidic demon air isn’t as potent at this height either. The scuttle of Grunt’s and eerie growls from a herd of Blaze keep my abilities alert. I hold the captain's arm as she slides down my back. I want her close in case we need to run. 

She stays pressed against me, still, taking shallow, soft breaths to keep from making a sound. Her cheek is against my back, body relaxed instead of alert. The horde moves on, but I’m slow to give her the all clear. Her trust is as warm as she is and makes me forget why it’s better alone. 

“This will hold.”  I take a step forward so she can stand on her own. And so my head can clear.

She drops back a few steps and I shiver with the passing breeze. I walk to the far edge of the nest to survey the ground. Crunching leaves sound behind me. She walks to the tree trunk, her only exit. 

Her limp is more pronounced by the sound of her gait. She’s still bleeding. It's a good thing my speed made it impossible for the demons to track her blood. She kneels before sitting. Her uniform leg is wet and sticks to her skin. I cross over to her and reach into one of my pockets to pull out the small med kit we carry. 

“Let me check.” I kneel in front of her and reach out.

She jerks away, then squeezes her eyes shut from the movement. “It’s fine.“ She breathes out.

“Clearly." I wait for the pain to pass. 

She huffs out a breath, rolls her eyes, and pulls up her pant leg. Gaping jagged holes of clotted blood shape a perfect arch of teeth on her calf.  At least the bleeding stopped. I fumble with the med kit. How do you open these things?

“What are you doing?” Her words are strained and her breathing accelerates.

Shit, she’s in pain and I can’t use the damn kit. I mean, it’s not like I’ve ever had to use one before.

“You don’t know what you’re doing, do you?” She watches me through squinted eyes.

“Uhm, it won’t open.” I say instead of answering.

“Give me that.” Her hand shoots out.

I stay quiet as she opens it and pulls out a plastic pouch of liquid. She rips into it with her teeth. Orange goo spills out of the tear she made. She holds the pouch over her leg, squeezing orange gel into each puncture mark. A sizzle and gurgle comes off her skin as blood and goo bubble out of the wounds. I lean away. Strings of wet hair stick to her pale cheeks. Her whole body is rigid.

“Why did you do that? It looks worse.” I grimace hearing my own stupid words. That’s the last thing you want to tell someone about their injury.

“Amazing bedside manners, Oren.” She grunts and brings one fist to her mouth popping in a couple of white tablets, swallowing them dry.

“You really don’t know what you’re doing, do you?” She lies back to rest on one elbow, panting.

I pass her a canteen. Water drips down her chin when another wave of pain washes over. My hands are balled tight and chest rapid as if I'm the injured one. Our breaths come out a little slower as it passes. Her stare is a dull sort of brown. She gives me a slight grin at what is likely a distressed, useless look in return.

“You can’t get hurt, can you?”

Don’t answer that, deflect like you always do, I tell myself.

“I can. I just heal as fast as I’m injured.” ” How does she always draw me in?

I turn away, not wanting her reaction. But why not admit it? The hiding is over anyway. Once I deliver her to safety, I’ll never see her again. 

“Any chance you can share some of that with me right about now?” Her voice sounds weak as she lays all the way back this time. Her wounds stop bubbling and her face relaxes.

“No.”

Being able to use these powers to help others would be a bright side. My life is not about the bright side. She's quiet now, and I wonder if she’s passed out. My eyes flare to see in the dark. She startles from the light and leans up on her elbows again.

“I need to know.” Her voice is soft like before, calm. “I need everything, Rain.”

She’s using my first name again. My powers hum in filaments of hunger for something I can't satisfy. I'm losing control and push back hard to suppress my abilities. She’s hiding things too, yet expects me to trust her, to tell her everything.

“Well, Elia . . .”

Her eyes widen at my use of her first name. Let’s see how she likes it. No matter what unseen force is between us, we’re nothing to each other. Only an officer and her subordinate.

“There are many things I want to know. But we don’t always get what we want, do we?” Her head jerks back as if I slapped her.

I swallow hard letting my frustration bleed out. She shakes my calm like she always does. I stand and walk to the farthest edge of the nest to keep watch. Rolling my head around to ease the tension. I close my eyes and welcome the passing breeze. Get through tonight and deliver the captain back to the squad. It’s all I need to focus on.

“Ask me.” Her soft words are a vice on my careful control. I'm clutched and pried open. “What do you want to know, Rain?”

Thanks for stopping by for a read!

0