Episode 61
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Targe breaks through the trees followed by twenty warriors. He surveys the area with raised eyebrows before suppressing his emotions with a glare at the captain.

“I assume you have a damn good reason for disobeying orders. And destroying equipment that’s worth more than your entire squad!” The deep timber in his voice echoes through the clearing. “What the hell happened here?”

He gestures around the circle of dead demon carcasses. To the captain’s credit she stands taller, calmly receiving him. Before she can answer a Flyer screeches in the distance.

“Incoming, general.” One of the warriors calls out. I recognize him from the lab, only he’s not seizing on a medical table this time.

“I’m assuming command.” Targe sneers. “Captain, you and your Elites look like you’re not fit to stand.”

He starts ordering the back up team to secure the clearing. We move to the center of their perimeter by Luce. I risk a glance at Cole. His attention moves to the five lab warriors who haven't left the general's side. His knuckles are white around the handle of his ax and his nostrils flare.

Iva pokes me in the side with his elbow.

“Those the ones?” He nods to the same warriors Cole is fixed on.

“Yes.”

“Report, Oren.” The captain whispers behind me.

She's asking me to survey the area the only way I can. I pull on my goggles and boost my sight. Cole latches on to my movement and stays at a distance from the rest of us.

“Three flocks of Flyers circle and herds are positioned in the tree line to our south. Multiple Flicks teleporting in from the direction of the wall.”

“And the Rex?” Kane stretches his wrapped knee.

“Quiet.” I can’t tell if it's still here and I can't tell them why I won't check.

Fletcher kneels down for a breather. Iva sits next to Luce’s stretcher tapping away on his wrist device that’s still working somehow. The backup team is finished setting new traps to secure the perimeter. They should be able to dispatch this wave in no time. And then they'll pack up to head back to the wall.

The squad takes the opportunity to rest but remain alert. And I squash the tiny flame of hope the captain fanned. This attack is my last chance to escape.

“Cole.” Targe calls his son to join him and his warriors.

Cole turns slightly as if he is going to check in with the captain.

“Warrior.” The general warns and Cole scrambles to his father’s side.

The herds attack the barrier. The snap crackle of the electric shield makes it hard for me to eavesdrop on them. Fletcher and Iva stand, summoning their weapons. We’re all ready to fight if needed.

The boom of launchers capturing Flyers is coordinated and over fast. My shoulders sag in relief at how quickly the demons are taken out. The pressure from my powers to engage eases. Now that I've let my abilities have free reign, I'm not sure I could lock them down again in a fight.

“Pack up warriors.” Targe commands the backup team and they retrieve the traps and fall in line to move out.

“Captain, a word.” The general moves away from his warriors and waits with a cold fury in his beady black eyes.

“Squad, line up.” She stands and we follow.

The squad gets into our diamond formation and I back away a few steps ready for my exit. Kane grabs the end of Luce’s stretcher. Her flaming red hair is stark against her too pale skin. Fletcher grabs the other end and switches positions with Addy to keep her in the center of our formation. They take a few steps forward. And I double over when the Rex’s call burrows in my head.

Kane lowers the stretcher to the ground and grabs my arm pulling me up. “Warriors, let’s move before another wave hits.”

“It’s the Rex.” I grunt.

Fletcher sets the stretcher down and the squad takes up a fighting stance around Luce.

“Captain, control your squad. We’re moving out.” The general barks.

I push the high frequency out of my brain and my skin vibrates against the Rex's call. With a nod to Kane, I let him know I can stand on my own. Targe's lab warriors draw their weapons and start pushing the rest of the back up team out of their way. Their glazed hollow eyes are fixed on us.

“General, what’s going on?” The captain reaches behind her back to the glow of her warrior marks.

Targe's warriors break out into a run towards me.

“Warriors, halt!" The general’s command goes unheard.

“What the hell?” Fletcher gasps when the charging warriors’ eyes glow neon green.

The hilts of my blades emerge from my forearms and I pull them forth as I back up. We can’t use our weapons to fight other warriors. It’s against every instinct to harm our own. But it's instinct to summon our defenses.

Another screech from the Rex tunnels inside my head and I grit my teeth to ignore it. My eyes water from the pressure but I keep my fighting stance. Kane and Iva form a barrier in front of me. They cross the long handles of their weapons to keep the possessed warriors back.

“Stand down.” Kane grunts through his defensive blocks.

Targe's warriors raise their weapons to attack. Fletcher delivers a knockout punch to one and hisses when his hand comes back twisted in an odd angle.

“General, what’s the meaning of this?” The captain is charged in anger, her sword drawn but not raised.

“Stephens, stand down!” But they can't hear the general. Eerie unnatural, unblinking eyes set on me.

“Restrain them.” The general roars the order and the rest of the backup team snap out of their shock.

Addy covers Luce with her crossbows aimed at the uncontrollable warriors. I move toward her to help and they shift, leaving Kane and Iva to follow me.

The backup team surges forward. Hands and arms pull the green eyed warriors back. Before the squad can join in to help, glowing weapons slice through the air. Half the backup team is dead on the ground in front of us. Severed parts and silence litter the clearing.

“Elites, defensive...” The captain trails off, shaken.

Targe's warriors just cut through other warriors who hadn't even drawn their weapons. Then, as if of one mind, they turn their attention to us.

“Elites, subdue them!” The captain unleashes her whip and Targe shouts for us to halt.

Addy pulls Fletcher back to protect Luce as he works to splint his arm.

“Halt, warrior.” Kane pleads with Stephens' vacant face.

Kane blocks and counters his attacker with a clean cut down the warrior's middle from his scythe. Silent tears run down the sharp angles of Kane’s face. Warriors are united in blood, born to a higher calling. Our sacred births sacrificed for the protection of all, brothers and sisters in arms. This is not how we are supposed to die.

“Shit.” Iva curses as his spear is knocked away.

I jerk him back and block Holden's ax with my blades. His neon eyes pulse locking on to me. I dig my boots into the ground and find my strength tested as he pushes against me easily. I’m struggling to hold him back. How is he so strong? Did I expend all my power?

Addy screams next to me and I see her crossbows dissipate. Cole runs past to protect Luce. His ax flings blood across my face when he takes an arm from one of the lab warriors. He freezes, blank faced as the injured warrior flails, spurting rivers of blood on the ground.

I start to lose my footing and grunt hard against Holden.

“Rain.” Cole steps up to add his strength to mine.

He’s never called me by my first name. He prefers to spit my last name out like a curse. He meets my surprised stare and jerks his head toward the squad. They are twisted limbs and bloodied uniforms. I look back at Cole. The hard edge of his brow deepens as he watches the squad take injuries over taking another warrior’s life.

"Rain." He demands with surety this time.

I want to shake my head at his request. I can't. He of all people should know that I...the last Oren, can't do what needs to be done. He wants me to take the burden to save them. I’m the only one who can and that's what Cole understands. I’m the bad guy. It's expected.

I give him a nod. He takes a deep breath and leaves me with an overpowered Holden to guard Luce. I let go of my control before I consider what I'm about to do, what I have to do. Urging the energy to sear through my mind, to push me to the back, to hide me away. The surge of power sings through my muscles in relief. Holden stutters at the spectral blue light racing over my blades. It's all I need to force him off me. I spin my swords at my sides and Holden charges.

“Oren, wait!” The captain's plea is too late.

I spin away from Holden's attack and take his head off racing past faster than his body falls. I teleport behind two warriors attacking Iva and Addy and thrust one blade into each of their backs. Before their bodies drop, I jump across the center of our perimeter. I fly over Cole and Luce to land close to Kane. He struggles to knock out the last warrior. His impressive speed and fierce swings fail to connect.

With a surprised jerk at my arrival, the warrior refocuses on his target, me. He throws Kane's massive body down as if he weighs nothing and rushes me. I race to meet him, turning the world into slow motion.

With a clean swipe of my sword I take his head. It thumps against my boot and all I hear is pounding hearts and held breath. I stand still and close my eyes with a heavy exhale. My hands shake and my legs wobble.

“Seize him.” Targe's calm order and heart rate pierce the silence and my hands are pulled behind my back.

Did you wonder if we'd get to this point - where Targe found out what Rain can do? And that it would happen against other warriors? 

More to come! Thanks for reading.

0