Episode 63
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm a streak through the trees back to the squad. Everything in slow motion as I come across what’s left. There are pieces of demons and warriors all around the shrinking circle the squad holds. They sway back to back with the wounded, Luce and Iva, in the middle.

“No!” The captain warns Kane as I enter a place beside them. 

I’m aware of them but details are muddy. I dart to Kane who braces for the death bite of a Flick demon. I shove him to the ground and face the Flick in his place.

It rears back at my presence giving me time to run the edge of a blade across its face. It’s severed jaw thuds to my feet but it’s still standing. Too shocked to realize I’ve taken it apart. Thick, stringy, poisonous saliva and black blood run down its neck. It drops in a heap next to Kane.

“What’s happening?” Fletcher pants out.

I come back to myself to find the rest of the demons retreating. Fletcher spins around to watch them go. His jaw drops open, finding me among them.“Oh, you.” He disperses his weapon and leans over to rest his hands on his knees taking gulping breaths. 

Everyone is worn. My heart slows seeing each of them alive. I peer through the trees and scan our surroundings. The fading hum of the Rex is all that registers. Now that the squad is safe, I have to take care of the general.

“Wait.” The captain reaches out.

“I can’t. Cole’s in trouble.” My powers take control and I blur back to Targe.

I solidify a few feet behind Cole. One arm hangs at his side. The thick muscles in his thighs bulge from the stress of fending off a blow from the general’s club. He's not going to last much longer.

“It’s too late, general.” My words halt his attack. “The squad defeated the demons and will be here shortly.”

“Son, stop this at once.” Targe orders Cole. “My mission has always been to protect the warrior born, to save the nation. How can you throw away your family, your legacy, for an Oren? We don't even know what he is? His family could've found a way to use the demon’s strength. He moves like one of them! He’s the enemy, not me.”

Cole disperses his ax, chest heaving, and drags himself back, apart from the general. He studies me. I don’t move a muscle. I’ve seen this look countless times. He's sizing me up. He's seen what I can do and Targe is right. We don't know why I have these abilities. 

Targe sends his weapon to the ether and steps closer while his son considers his words. Cole reaches into his pocket to retrieve the cuffs looking between me and his father. A jagged gash above his right eye drips onto his brow. But he doesn’t move, eyeing us both.

“Son. Your mother believed in my mission so much she was the first to volunteer for the serum." Cole's head whips to his father, his features going slack. "Even when her body didn’t accept it, she made me promise not to give up.”

Cole’s knees give out for a second before he shores himself up with a watery glare. Targe takes another step closer.

“And you, son, you can be my first success. Imagine all his strength and power will be yours.” Targe points at me, his offering.

The general won't have another chance to immobilize me again, even if I have to take them both on. The cuffs in Cole's hands grind together in his death grip.

A shriek of a Flyer circling above draws my attention. Targe launches at me in my distraction. I instinctively evade his attack and raise my blades. The crackle of weapons being drawn behind me stops his advance. The squad is here.

“Halt.” Targe assumes his superior officer’s tone. “Oren is under arrest for the murder of his fellow warriors. You were all witness to his traitorous deeds.”

The Flyer closes in and without the trees for cover we’re sitting ducks.

“You know that’s not what happened, general. But you're right, we are witnesses.” The captain's threat is clear.

She stands tall in front of the squad. Iva's wrist is twisted against his chest. He meets my eyes and I motion up a few times before understanding hits. He whispers into the captain’s ear. She slowly backs up to the tree line with the squad following her lead.

“No matter.” Targe leers. “You’ve been reported KIA.”

“Well ain’t that a fine thank you for our loyal service.” Fletcher mocks in defeat. “What’s the transport team going to say when they find us alive and kicking?”

“Unfortunately, they don’t make it either.” Targe rests a palm on his chest, a show of false grief.

“Damn. Tough break for everyone.” Fletcher whistles out. “Except you, right?”

“But you’re outnumbered, general.” The captain steps out of the tree line.

“Come now, you didn’t think Oren killed all my super warriors did you?”

The rumble of the transport engine breaks through the brush a few yards away. And the air whirls around as the pointed razor beak of the Flyer comes into view.

“Flyer!” Targe gasps.

I throw my body over Cole’s and take us both to the ground.

There’s a squelching, rip, and choke of air. Then battered wind surrounds us from massive wings taking flight.

“Holy shit!” Fletcher wails.

Cole and I sit up to watch the Flyer climb higher. It’s struggling to clear the trees. It banks to the right and the rigid body of the general comes into view, clutched between two taloned feet. His legs flail but his arms grip the claws embedded into his stomach and chest.

Cole stands still, blank, watching his father get smaller and smaller in the distance. His eyes redden but remain stony. I'm not sure what I expect from him or what was between them. Only bits and pieces I witnessed over the years. But too much was done. Too much was said. Too much for him to take anytime soon, or ever.

The transport stops in our clearing and four warriors come out with stretchers and supplies. The squad stands with us. A small warm hand wraps around my arm with a gentle tug. I look down into big, glassy blue eyes.

I turn to face Addy knowing she wants to give me one of her hugs. It’s just who she is and this time I don’t mind so much. Her blond hair tickles my neck, her grip is too light, but she’s alive. Then heavy long arms wrap around me from behind. Fletcher’s golden head rests on my shoulder. Now he’s made it awkward.

I elbow his stomach to push him off.

He grunts but squeezes tighter. “You love one twin, you love them both.”

“Captain!” Sergeant Gray leads the retrieval team. His booming voice is like home.

“Where’s the general? I intercepted his comm and some disturbing...” He tapers off, noticing me behind her.

“He didn’t make it sergeant. We better move out, there's a herd close by.” 

“We have the general’s patrols securing our perimeter. We’ll be safe back to the wall.” The sergeant assures her and gives me a nod before moving on.

She motions us to the transport, and I watch medics lift Luce’s stretcher. Cole hasn’t moved. He’s still staring into the distance. Sergeant Gray speaks to him, pulling him away. When Cole spots Luce being carried on board some life comes back into his eyes. He makes long strides through the warriors to her side. 

My head tilts to one side watching his concern for her. I straighten up remembering that’s the way the Flicks tilt their heads to study me. Cold ice runs down my spine, hearing Targe’s words, “we don’t know what he is.”

“It’s not so hard to see.” The captain says.

“What?” I ask to clear my thoughts. “Cole’s interest in Luce?”

“Well, that one is easy to see. I meant, it's not hard to see why he chose you. Chose to stand by you over his father.”

Did he do that? Years of hatred wouldn't turn so quickly. My hatred is different from Cole's. I accepted mine, turned it inward because of who I am, what I deserve. But that’s all wrong now, it's all changed. And we're both on uneven ground. He didn’t choose, me or his father.  

“We can't be sure that’s what happened. We can't be sure what Cole will report. What was recorded and monitored. I can't go back.” Reality rushes out as fast as it hits.

The captain rounds on me pushing me back from the others, green eyes blazing up at me.

“You’re not running. You’re not whatever Targe said.”

I grimace knowing they all heard what I’ve tried not to think about.

“You’re not.” Her voice is angry, and she pokes a slender finger into my chest.

She's Nugget and my mouth opens to shoot back a reply.

“You’re not alone in this, Rain.” She goes soft and all the fight leaves me. Her eyes calm into a warm golden. “We’re a team, a family. And we need you, now more than ever.” She nods at the raggedy members of the squad surrounding us.

Their weariness fades into determination at whatever they see on my face, ready to stand by me. My breath rushes out at the unexpectedness.

“We look out for each other.” Kane reminds me.

“We stick to the truth. Targe’s warriors turned on their own with unnatural strength. We defended ourselves. No more than that.” The captain's commanding stare levels us with her request.

Everyone nods.

“You’re one of us.” Addy’s shaky, pained smile doesn’t dim the fierce protectiveness in her eyes.

“Good. Now get your asses in the transport.” She barks and waits for me to move ahead of her. Not giving me a chance to run. 

They can't stop me. It’s Targe's revelations that keep me rooted. All that I've been through, all the lives lost from the general's destruction. My family, his family, who I could've been, and I can't get his reasoning out of my head. 

We are at our destruction if something doesn't change. We face an uncertain future with our diminished numbers against an overpowered, organized enemy. A twisted jaded part of me understands him. But justified reasons break under grievous demands. There has to be another way.

Buried underneath the sweat, gore, and blood, the captain's honey scent catches my rapid breaths. I follow it, follow her. Because it's those breaks and my world-weary pieces that propel me toward the squad instead of running the other way. Yes, my powers are still a threat but how can I turn my back on the squad that’s agreed to have mine. Especially when they’re in danger, surrounded by threats that don’t come from the Mist.

A line of warriors in guard uniforms report to the sergeant. The area is clear to move out. Which ones are juiced up on the general’s serum? Cole moves to the end of the transport with my approach.

Our singular attention on the other, straddling our past, present, and tar pit future. Will his report conflict the rest of the squads? Will Centrum believe him if he reveals my truth, in light of his father’s? We're tied together on this pendulum and I'm not sure who'll fall first.

The old "greater good" defense. I get Targe.
Sure he's crazy, but he wants what they all want. He's looking for an answer before it's too late. 
AND can I just say that I LOVE Fletcher's response when they find out they've been reported KIA.
I think he's my spirit animal.

0