Chapter Sixteen: Survive (part two)
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Diva swung hard against the face of a zombie in front of her as she bashed open its head.

The squashed brain flew to the side along with her forceful swing and the blood, spilled on her.

"That's two hundred and ninety-seven," she shouted out to Jared as he struck his crowbar into the head of a zombie and killed it immediately.

He put his leg on the body of the zombies as he pulled out the crowbar.

"Almost three hundred?" He breathed out in a ragged voice. "Not bad for a girl,"

"He staggered a bit before regaining posture as several zombies crawled their way through the bodies, laying on the floor.

"This is four hundred and fifteen," he said as he tossed a knife into the head of the farthest one from him.

"Can you now see that I'm winning you in your own game?" He asked as he swung at another zombie.

"My game? You were the one who suggested it," 

"Show off," Diva murmured after clicking her tongue.

At the end of her metallic bat was a zombie who struggled to reach her but she held it at arm's length with the bat. 

She immediately lowered the bat and swung from down to up as she smashed the head of the zombie.

The area where they were was covered with dead bodies and the ground was dyed red from all the blood, the walls were stained with both body parts and blood.

The team was finally reaching its limits as they battled endlessly against the zombies.

Gareth and David finally ran out of ammo and grabbed hold of the nearest weapons they could find.

A wooden bat about the size of Diva's metallic bat and a shotgun.

They both swung and shot their way through any zombies that came closer.

****

At the far end of the rooftop of a building, a soldier lay there watching, through a telescope.

The soldier was watching several groups of men and boys as they drove through the city in their trucks.

The soldier quickly alerted the other soldier that was by him.

"Are you sure it's them," the other soldier asked?

"It's them, alright," the soldier replied...

"Send words to the commander, tell him we have found them," 

****

[Several hours later...]

"Alright men, round things up here. We are moving out soon,"

"Are you sure about this?" The commander asked while he sat up straight.

"Yes sir. Our scout just alerted us that they've been spotted," the soldier answered.

"Good, we have finally got them," he said as a wicked smile formed on his face. "Those supply-stealing bastards,"

"Our orders are to round them up and bring them back, but with the way things are..." 

"We can always say the zombies got in our way and they tried to escape," he looked at the soldier who reported and winked. "So we killed them along with the zombies,"

"Sir? Are we allowed to do that?" The soldier asked. "Isn't that going against the rules?" 

"Are you stupid or what?" The commander shouted at him.

"Look around you, this city is filled with these mindless zombies," 

"You think we will be able to fight fair and square with them roaming around?"

"Men, get ready to move out!" He ordered the rest soldiers and grabbed the one close to him by the shirt.

"You better not spill a word about this to anyone, or I'll feed you to the zombies," he warned carefully.

"Y- yes sir!" She soldier agreed as he trembled.

****

"So you're saying you have been an orphan right from you could remember," Ash said as he stood close to Rika, discussing.

"No, I remember living life with my parents before they died or were killed. However, the doctor explained it," Rika answered.

"Then how did you survive till now?" Ash asked again.

"Well, I was only six when they died so I had to stay with my aunt," Rika replied.

"However, she didn't treat me right. It always did this, do that,"

"Almost as if she didn't want me to know or do anything good," she narrated.

"I see," he scoffed.

"Anyway, you didn't answer my question.

"I didn't?"

"Yeah. When you saved me back then in that alley, you said you were repaying a favor," she reminded him.

"Oh yeah! Well, don't mind-" 

"What favor?" she immediately cut him short before he dodged the question again.

He looked at her and saw her eager she was to know his response.

'If I tell her I'm from the future, she will probably be thinking I'm trying to avoid the question again. However, if I don't find the right answer, she will also think I'm trying to avoid the question.'

Ash quickly thought of a solution as they both stared at each other.

"Hehe," he scoffed.

"What?" She immediately asked.

"How about I tell you the story another day when we're training?" He smiled while patting her head.

"R- really? You finally agreed you'll train me?" She asked eagerly.

"Sure," 

"Yay!!" She jumped lightly in excitement.

"Since you're shy to do team training, why not," he answered and with that successfully dodged the question.

"I'm not shy, I just have a preference," she added as she pouted.

'Successfully dodged that, thank the gods.' He sighed inwardly.

"Well then, let's watch your teammates battle their way through life," he said as he was about to turn in their direction when she pulled his cloth slightly.

"Ash?" She called out shyly.

"Yeah?" He answered.

"Thank you," 

A smile spread across his face as he patted her head again. "It's ok,"

Just as they were standing up there, a humanoid zombie got up from underneath the pile of debris from the building that collapsed on it.

The faint sound of gunshots could be heard from where it was and immediately, it started to follow the sound.

"Um... Ash?" Rika called out his attention as she pointed out the large zombie that was headed towards the team.

His eyes widened as he saw the creature charging with a speed that no normal zombie was capable of, and was headed to their location.

3