Chapter Twenty-Five: Recklessness
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The little burst of flame that sat on Sarah's hand, provided more lighting to the surrounding as both Ash and she sat there, staring at it.

"S- Sarah, you-" Ash stuttered in his words as he watched her control the flames around her hand.

"I suddenly discovered that I could do this a few days back," she said with a gentle smile on her face.

"Few days?" Ash asked. 'Wait, that's around the same day that guy exploded in flames." A memory of what happened back then played out in his mind.

"You can control it?" He asked again.

"Yeah. Took me a while but I eventually got the hang of it," she answered. "Although, after burning a couple of paperwork," using her hand to rub behind her head, she laughed lightly.

"F - for real?" 

"Yeah, but it's nothing though, I eventually did them again,"

"I see," 

She eventually put out the flame, making the room return back to its normal lighting.

"If you can control it, what do you need me for?" 

"Well, I have this ability or gift, whatever it may be. But I don't know what to do with it" 

"I see," Ash said calmly and soon drifted into his thoughts. 'Having powers and nothing to do with them, huh?' 

'I would have asked her to join the team so that she can learn to use it more efficiently, but...' he glanced at her without moving much of his eyes. 'Sarah isn't the type who can handle all the fighting.'

"So? Have anything for me?" Sarah asked after waiting for a while. 

"Wait, you didn't tell anyone else?" 

"No, not really, you are the only one I can fully trust about it,"

"Besides, something tells me you know what to do,"

"I see," Ash answered before drifting into his thoughts 

'Fire ability users were the most common type of ability users back in my past.'

'Since it was a common ability across the land, only a few extremely skilled individuals took it to another level.'

'They could freely use the flames they produced to completely level an entire horde of zombies without breaking a sweat.'

'That was the level of power everyone crave, but unfortunately, luck didn't fall freely.'

'In time, other skills were unlocked in addition to the same or new abilities some of us possessed. For those who could control the wind, they were blessed with a speed that we only read about in fantasy books.'

'For those who could control the earth, though theirs was more difficult to use, they were gifted with hardened bodies and for those who could control water, ice became their new addiction.'

'Within the first few years of the apocalypse, we all tried to control and master our abilities while also trying to not die from the countless attacks of the zombies.'

'Survival was hard, and so was eating because food became scarce almost immediately.'

'But with my knowledge of the future, I should be able to control the flow of things to a certain degree and time. I stocked up on food stuff and daily necessities in my dimensional warehouse, and several other warehouses I bought.' 

'All I have to do is act when the time is right, for now, I must focus on raising my team's power.'

'If I can get them to become an even stronger version of the monsters they were in the past, I can completely control the flow of things. And with that, humanity won't die out again.'

"Sarah, I may be able to help you gain complete control of your power if you want," Ash suddenly broke the looming silence between them. "But, are you sure you want to be on the front lines fighting those zombies?"

She bowed her head and gave his question a quick thought before raising her head again.

"I- I don't know what sort of danger I'll be facing, but at the very least, I want to be able to protect myself and others with this power of mine,"

"But that doesn't mean I'll completely give up on my job in the company,"

"Do you think the company will still be standing even after several months into the apocalypse?" Ash asked to solidify her answer.

"It may or may not still stand, but I don't think I'm the only one in y company who has this power. And if we are more, we can defend against the zombies,"

Ash kept quiet as he stared at her, patiently waiting for her to finish her response.

She noticed his reaction and immediately caught on to it. "If the company eventually falls, then my next job will be to stand by the young master's side,"

Ash kept a calm expression even after hearing Sarah's complete response.

"I see," he breathed out after. "Keeping up with your busy schedule, you won't have all the time you need to learn everything I can offer, but, we will meet once every week,"

 "During that time I can teach you but for now, I'll need you to continue your job,"

"Alright, I understand," Sarah replied with her head bowed again.

"Seriously?" Ash asked.

****

As the evening sun set once again, it cast its light upon the city once more.

Jared sat on top of the pile of dead bodies that filled the area as he took in a deep breath.

He was surrounded by the body parts of the zombies he had killed, some were extra large while others were normal looking.

Regardless of their size both large and small, most of their body parts seemed to have been butchered away.

Even though they were dead, they all had one similar feature to them. Their chest all had holes in them, almost as if their heart was ripped out.

Jared sat there looking dirty and exhausted amid the corpses. 

"Nine grade two, and six grade three zombies," he counted to himself as he stared at his palm before shifting his gaze to the last standing humanoid zombie several meters away from him. "Including you,"

The zombie took several heavy steps towards Jared, thudding on top of both the corpses and the ground.

Though it was still far away and could close the distance in a matter of seconds, Jared still sat there not caring if it suddenly attacks.

He gazed at the monster with a confident expression in his eyes. "I've brought down five of your kind," He said as he got down from the pile of corpses. "What's one more?"

Fixed in the head of a zombie by his right, was one of his crowbars, while the other was upright on another.

Jared walked slowly toward the monster which did the same as he picked up his weapons and held them firmly.

Before getting close, Jared suddenly dashed at the monster and soon, he appeared in the air at the back of the monster, ready to strike.

The zombie was quick to react as it swung its large arm toward Jared.

Using that as leverage, Jared propelled himself up using the crowbars as lift and gave a slight spin before crashing his knee into the monster's head.

The monster with its huge size dropped to the ground with one hand supporting it, it then turned to Jared who was running at full speed towards the monster after leaping off from afar.

Immediately he got close, he felt the air blow against him as the monster swung its hand at him again. Jared got down and slid right past it.

"After fighting your kind for a while, it got easier to avoid those slow attacks," Jared voiced out audibly to the monster before jumping around.

He counted every blow the monster threw before dodging them, some he paved way for while others, he blocked.

The monster got angry and picked up the corpses around, it threw a few at Jared and charge with the other two it held.

Since they were human bodies and not rocks or weapons, Jared dashed swiftly out of the way to avoid them.

He ran left and then right before leaping back to swiftly avoid getting hit as the bodies rain to the ground.

He dashed at the monster without wasting another second to attack it.

The monster swung one of the bodies in its hands at him but he got down to avoid and immediately, he drove one of the crowbars into the monster's arm and pinned it to the ground.

The monster let out a loud cry as it expressed pain and soon, it crashed the other body on him but Jared also dodged it by leaping up.

As he came down on the monster, he noticed the monster was about to use the remains in his hand to attack him, so he quickly thrust the other crowbar into its other hand and pinned it on the ground.

The monster still let out a heavy cry that shook the surrounding.

Jared walked over to a building's window and from there, he grabbed two matchet with their blades extremely sharp.

He shifted his gaze to the monster which was struggling hard to release itself.

Jared noticed the crowbar being pulled from the ground and let out a sigh.

"Thanks to these blades, I can easily dissect and immobilize you," 

The monster roared as it pulled off the crowbar from both hands one after the other.

Immediately, Jared dashed at it, and with the first strike, he cut off the monster's right leg as the red crimson liquid stained the floor.

"That was fast," Jared murmured as he slowed down on his track. "So this is the awesome speed Ash and Diva used in evading strikes, it's thrilling!!"

His face carved up a psychopathic smile as he dashed at the monster again.

Before the monster could react, Jared struck its face and blinded its eyes as he did a little spin before stopping.

"Whoohhh!!" He laughed as he turned around to watch the monster cry out in pain. "This is fun,"

He noticed the monster's eye bleeding and soon realized where he hit.

"Ahhh, I accidentally got your eyes instead. Well, let's play quiet," he chuckled inwardly before dashing around the monster.

His legs moved with power as he ran quietly around the monster. The fast he went, the less power he had to apply to the muscles in his legs. 

Soon several images of him started to display as he ran even faster.

The monster turned its head around as it tried to locate Jared from the slight sound. When it couldn't, it started crashing its large arms around the place, hoping to land a hit.

"Tsk tsk tsk," he clicked his tongue. "You won't be needing those arms of yours then," Jared immediately changed course and went after the monster. 

With one clean strike, he got the monster's arm. "Slick!! He voiced out happily after striking down the monster.

Screams flew into the air from the monster as he kept taking off its limbs.

"Now now, don't be selfish." Jared mocked. "Give me a hand, would ya!!" He threw himself at the monster one more time but got caught.

The monster, holding on to the figure in his hand, slammed hard into the ground.

"Arrckk!!" Jared coughed out blood as he got crushed. His eyes were opened wild as he watched the monster raise its hand again and slammed it into him.

The monster crashed its hand on Jared relentlessly as he kept digging the boy into the ground without stopping.

Jared screamed out in pain as Several parts of him got crushed in the attacks.

After crashing its hand on the supposed figure it caught, the monster's blow kept destroying the area around them as they sunk deeper.

Jared coughed out more blood on himself as he laid back on the ground the minute the monster stopped.

His face and body had several bruises on them and his eyes, struggling to open. "You bastard," he cursed with blood still spilling out of his mouth.

His whole body got washed up in pain as they surged through every corner of him.

'Messed up big time, huh?' he questioned within. "I said- give- me a hand, you big meanie," 

Even though he was struggling to breathe, he could muster the strength to make jokes at such a moment.

The monster raised its hand to the sky and once again struck down on Jared.

From a far distance, looking straight toward where Jared battled the monster, a loud explosion occurred along with an outburst of fire.

[Boom!!]

*****

Pls guys, I need your support no matter how small. Thank you

2