Chapter 56: Welcome Back.
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Awesome job today, everyone! Let's bring that same energy tomorrow," Kyosuke Watanabe, the esteemed senior and current basketball captain of Ishikawa High School, exclaimed with genuine enthusiasm in the locker room. After yet another strenuous yet fruitful day of practice, he commended his team.

Despite his imposing appearance, Kyosuke was actually a carefree and spirited individual, effortlessly building connections with others. He freely distributed compliments and praise like sweet treats, believing they fostered team unity and lifted morale. His boundless patience earned him admiration from his underclassmen, who always seemed motivated in his presence.

"Yes, Captain!"

The vice-captain, Shinjiro Hasegawa, a second-year student, took the floor this time. Sporting a smile that concealed something more sinister, he added, "And to those who were late today, I expect the same tomorrow... if you're not afraid of the consequences."

Goosebumps prickled on everyone's skin, and they stuttered uncertainly, "Y-Yes, sir!"

Shinjiro was no 'Kyosuke,' and his pretty face was probably the only gentle aspect about him. He held disdain for those who lacked dedication or hindered their teammates, brutally exposing such show-offs on the court. Though he lacked Kyosuke's easygoing nature, Haruki eventually realized that Shinjiro wasn't entirely unlikable. With his unwavering commitment and impressive skills, he garnered the respect he deserved, even inspiring some of his peers.

Once they had changed and received instructions from their coach, the team was free to depart, and most took advantage of the opportunity. Some opted to leave in their sports attire, but Haruki wasn't one of them.

While he didn't pay much attention to others, Haruki couldn't help but notice the two captains leaving together, engaged in a discussion about game strategies. Kyosuke and Shinjiro couldn't be more different, yet their friendship was genuine. The ease and familiarity between them revealed a bond that had likely been forged over many years, triggering a pang of envy in Haruki.

Others seemed to have it so easy.

Closing his gym locker, Haruki adjusted his blazer collar and grabbed his school bag, preparing to leave. Glancing at the clock, he realized it was already five-thirty, thirty minutes later than their usual practice end time.

And this Fukuda kid was definitely feeling the exhaustion.

In truth, Haruki didn't despise the sport. He simply found it challenging to keep up at times. The constant running and jumping were far from easy to adapt to.

"Done, Fukuda?" Atsushi Hanasaki approached Haruki, fully dressed and ready to leave.

Haruki hummed in agreement, then turned his attention to a specific locker at the far end of the room. Mizuki Genki, the third member of their little 'going home party,' still stood there in his black slacks, completely distracted.

Mizuki wasn't in the same class as Haruki and Atsushi, but they had formed a bond on the court. He often teased them for being the 'shortest' members of the team. Haruki had always considered himself average in height, but being surrounded by these basketball players shattered that illusion. Mizuki, with his towering stature, stood shoulder-to-shoulder with most of the seniors. His impressive height translated into exceptional shooting skills.

Currently, Mizuki happily engaged in conversation with some of their teammates, most of whom were his classmates. It was only natural for him to become distracted and oblivious to the fact that he was keeping a certain pair waiting. In the past, Haruki and Atsushi had always departed on their own, but after Mizuki discovered that he and Atsushi took the same train home, he started joining them for unknown reasons.

The two hadn't exactly ignored him, 'cause, well, the guy wasn't all bad.

"Done playing?" Atsushi barked, catching Genki off guard. "We're heading out."

Mizuki looked puzzled, suddenly realizing his own appearance. "Hey, how'd you guys change clothes so fast? Hold up, wait a sec!"

His speedy and panicked reaction earned him some playful ribbing from their classmates, which he took in stride, laughing along.

"At this point, the others are probably long gone," Atsushi commented, pulling out his phone to confirm if Fumiye and Ryomi had really left for cram school.

Sure enough, a message from Fumiye popped up in their friends' group, letting everyone know they were bailing. Even though they attended different institutions, she and Ryomi always stuck together since they were in the same area.

"Feels like those two are constantly running off together, doesn't it?" Atsushi casually remarked.

Haruki mulled it over and hummed in agreement. It seemed that way, but still made sense since they were also both part of the debate club.

Finally, after what felt like forever, Mizuki joined them, flashing an apologetic smile. The gang set off together. Unlike middle school, Haruki didn't have to take the train this time around since his house was closer to their high school. He'd walk a bit with his friends, then split with them at a certain intersection and continue the rest of the way on his own. Usually, he'd let his mind wander and think about whatever popped up.

But today was different. Just as he was daydreaming about what to snack on once he got home, his cellphone buzzed, alerting him of an incoming call.

"Perfect timing. I was just about to call you," were the first words Haruki spoke as soon as he took the call, seizing the opportunity. "Up for a race?"

"How come you're always so free and even have time for games?" Takumi's voice crackled through the receiver. He had a habit of reaching out whenever he needed help with homework or was in a bind, claiming his brain couldn't handle it anymore.

First month of high school and this dude was acting like the world was ending. Would he make it to senior year?

"I'm not helping you with more homework," Haruki declared firmly.

"I-I wasn't even calling about that! What's up with you?"

"Oh?" Haruki relaxed a bit. "Then why'd you call?"

He could swear he heard Takumi grumble a few choice words from the other end, but before he could confront him, his friend spoke up again. "Dad says the Haradas might've canceled the big event tomorrow."

The mention of that family made Haruki's heart skip a beat, and he involuntarily slowed his steps. Trying to keep his voice steady, he cautiously asked, "What... do you mean?"

Takumi sounded unsure and let out a sigh. "Look, I don't want you to get your hopes up. We don't know for sure if the event got called off or just postponed. My dad knows some people who were supposed to go, but the Haradas have gone radio silent. Something's definitely up."

Haruki hadn't mentioned his grandpa's meddling to Takumi or Tadashi yet. He didn't want to get their hopes up and have more people disappointed if things didn't work out in the end.

But now, with this news... What did it all mean?

"Hey, you still there? Fukuda?" Takumi's voice brought him back to reality.

"Yeah. Does Matsui know about this?" Haruki asked, trying to regain his composure.

"I haven't told him yet," Takumi confessed. Honestly, he didn't know why Haruki was the first person he thought of when he stumbled upon this revelation. Usually, he'd tell Tadashi everything right away. With a hint of uncertainty, Takumi asked, "Should I... not tell him?"

"No, he should know too. It's only fair," Haruki replied helplessly.

Takumi sounded relieved on the other end. "Good! I mean... well, not good yet since we don't know what's really happened, but... I'm sure things will work out."

He'd expected Haruki to respond shortly after, but instead, silence hung in the air.

"Haruki?"

"I'll... I'll call you back, yeah?" Haruki finally responded, abruptly ending the call before his friend could protest.

How could he possibly continue the conversation after spotting a familiar convertible parked in their driveway? For a moment, he even questioned his own eyesight.

His grandfather was back already? How?? He and Yuichiro had left just yesterday!

Haruki thought the confrontation would have taken a few days at least. The affair couldn’t have been solved so easily, could it? Of course, his mother had given him a brief explanation of the kind of person Ryuji Nakamura was, but even so, he was up against another powerful family. Situations like these were usually taken to court, weren’t they?

But then, it explained what Takumi had told him about the Harada banquet being suddenly called off.

“I’m back,” Haruki announced as soon as he walked through the front door, trying hard to ignore the possibility of him receiving news he didn’t want to hear.

Maybe the situation really hadn’t been solved, and the reason they’d returned so soon was to rest a bit before the court case. Yeah, that had to be it. His grandfather had probably failed in convincing the Haradas after all, and those jerks had refused to free Kentaro and his mother.

The teenager didn’t even bother with slippers after kicking off his shoes and directly strode towards the living room, where he could hear voices engaged in discussion. Haruki wasn’t certain what they were talking about, and feared it probably wasn’t anything good.

It’s okay; he comforted himself, having prepared for the worst. Even if they’ve failed this time, I’m sure there’re still ways to–

“Haru?”

As soon as the familiar voice reached his ears, Haruki came to an abrupt halt. The person who’d spoken had just walked out of the kitchen and now stood a few feet behind him, having been drawn by his commotion from a minute ago. Turning around to face the other person, Haruki’s heart flipped a few dozen times.

This wasn’t another dream was it? Because lately he’d been having a lot of those.

Dreams that a certain someone was always around, as if he’d never left Chiba Prefecture in the first place. Dreams similar to the situation right now; where Kentaro would be standing in front of him with lips curved into a soft smile, with unwavering bright eyes staring squarely back at him.

Dreams that Ginger... was really back home.

“Long time no see,” the ginger-haired teen spoke again, which successfully broke the other person from his trance.

“Ken...” Haruki started with uncertainty, before trailing again when his eyes fell on the fruit tray Ginger held in his hands. His gaze instantly fell on the plastered right arm.

So this wasn’t a dream. He’d never dream of an injured Ginger!

“Ah, your hand–”

Haruki had yet to say more when Maki Fukuda came up from behind Kentaro, holding her own tray but with glasses of juice atop it this time. “Good afternoon, dear. You’re back just in time for snacks,” she said before unceremoniously placing the tray she held in her son’s hands instead. “I still have a few more things to prepare, so you two take these away first.”

“Oh, uhm,” Haruki could only mutter incoherently while being led away by a chuckling Kentaro, who seemed to be really enjoying these slow reactions.

“You took so long,” Ken commented in front of him. “Do classes normally dismiss this late now that you’re in high school?”

“Yeah, well, there’re also club activities to consider, so...” but Haruki didn’t even want to talk about his boring school-life.

He was more interested in when Ginger had arrived and how he was even here looking so carefree!

He’d have brought it up if they hadn’t walked into the living room at that moment, where everyone was in deep discussion. Well, it looked more like ‘story-time’ to be honest, since it was Ryuji Nakamura who was giving a recollection of how everything had transpired at the Harada Estate, whereas everyone else was either listening attentively, or pitching in a few comments.

Within the room, the only person Haruki didn’t recognize was the woman seated next to Sakuraku, thus most his attention ultimately fell on her. He’d never met her before, but her vibrant ginger waves immediately gave away her identity. Even without the introductions, he’d already figured out the lady was Ken’s mother. He could recognize that smile from anywhere.

After exchanging pleasantries with everyone, Haruki excused himself to go change out of his uniform. Fueled by excitement, he raced up the stairs, nearly stumbling a few times, longing for the power to teleport and rejoin the group in an instant.

In a frenzy, he haphazardly tossed his belongings everywhere, swiftly swapping his attire for black sweatpants and a snug blue t-shirt. Just after he'd finished getting dressed, a gentle knock echoed at his door.

"C-Come in!" he called, a hint of panic in his voice, his hands flailing to tidy up the chaos he had created. He had anticipated his mother's arrival, ready for an earful about his reckless habits. Fortunately, it was Kentaro who entered, closing the door behind him.

"What's with that?" Ken chuckled, having noticed the other's relief.

Since it was only his friend, Haruki relaxed his pace and took his time organizing his belongings. "Better to avoid trouble. You know how my mom can be."

"True," Ken murmured.

Externally composed, Haruki's internal world was in disarray. He had no clue how to react in this moment. Undeniably thrilled by the unexpected success, it had been a while since he had seen his friend. All he wanted was to pounce on him and squeeze the life out of him, but... would that be overly dramatic?

He tried his best to act natural, wearing a cool expression, yet his heart seemed to gallop faster with each passing minute in Kentaro's presence. Should he offer a handshake instead? Or maybe a pat on the back? Would that be less strange?

"Haruki."

"Hm? Right, I was about to ask about your arm..." Haruki spoke, still clutching the blazer he hadn't hung up, as he turned to face Kentaro, only to be caught off guard by the warm embrace he was enveloped in. He hadn't expected for Ginger to have already closed their distance, and the sudden gesture rendered Haruki momentarily frozen as the rest of his words were swallowed up by the surge of emotions.

Kentaro silently buried half his face in his friend's shoulder, the familiar scent of lemons emanating from his ginger curls and filling Haruki's senses. Even during his temporary stay at the Estate, Ginger's choice of shampoo remained unchanged. Bodies pressed together, the steady rhythm of Kentaro's heartbeat resonated against the other's chest, contrasting with Haruki's own erratic pulse. The embrace was tender yet potent, a wordless language of reunion after such a long time apart.

For a while, both boys said nothing, savoring the stillness that followed their embrace. It was Kentaro who finally spoke first, though the words came as a whispered: "I missed you, Haru."

Caught off guard, Haruki blinked dumbly before gradually relaxing, his arms encircling Kentaro in an equally tight hug. "En. I... missed you too, Ken. Welcome back."

~~~~~~

 

Hope y'all enjoyed the update~

0