B II, ch 56. The Two Vials
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The lock clicked, and the door shot open. Two guards entered the short corridor between cells, bathed in the dim light of the two candles. They headed straight to the one where Bruno was kept, now sitting on the ground, patiently waiting.

„You are coming with us,” said the one whom he never met. The other guard was one of the two who kept watch over him, outside of the prison section of the underground.

„Why?” he asked.

Instead of answering, the soldier just pulled out the keyring and quickly opened his door. He moved inside, grabbing him, and forcing him on his feet, then he pulled him outside, straight into the hands of his colleague. Both pushed him forward, toward the exit and the dark corridor leading to the staircase.

Knowing he won't get any answers, he didn’t ask the questions. He did not cooperate but also did not resist, which eventually brought him back before the king’s chamber, where Bahir was already awaiting, accompanied by a third guard.

„You send for me? Have you changed your mind?” Bruno asked as a smirk emerged on his lips.

The treasurer didn’t grace him with a reply. Instead of answering, he chose to open the door, revealing the royal room, where, on the bed, laid Katyan. The guards shoved Bruno inside.

There was so much light in there that he had to squint his eyes before they adjusted. There was some pain accompanying it. As soon as he could, he shifted his gaze to the king, who was sitting on the bed, halfway covered by a blanket. There was a grimace on his face.

„Are you still sick, your majesty?” Bruno asked.

„Yes,” Katyan admitted. „The leech they brought me got rid of my stomach pain, but I feel weak. Each time I get up from the bed I want to puke, but I can’t. You said you could help.”

„Yes, I believe I can,” Bruno admitted, bowing slightly to show respect, but also using it as an opportunity to steal a discreet glance at the old man, who appeared to be unhappy with the situation.

This caused an irritated grin to almost force its way on the young alchemist’s lips, but he fought off the urge.

„Then do it!” The king snapped.

„Might I examine you first, your majesty? I won’t be as invasive as that fool from yesterday. I promise.”

„Do it,” Katyan waved at him, encouragingly.

This urged Bruno to step closer, which in consequence made the three guards react, getting closer as well, but they all froze as the king gave them an angry glare. Ignoring it, the young alchemist leaned over the bed to have a better look at the eyes of his patient.

„Please breathe out through your mouth,” he asked.

As Katyan did what he asked for, Bruno smelled his breath. It stank, with a strong hint of alcohol, but was enough for the whole facade to look convincing enough, so he stopped at that moment and turned around to face Bahir.

„I believe I can help the king, but I will need access to an alchemical laboratory and some ingredients,” he stated.

„There is an alchemist in the city. The fool, as you called him, has a workshop,” the old man informed with a straight face. A mask designed to hide his emotions.

„Good. Take me there. The fool will be able to watch my hands, so you will have somebody who will confirm I’m making medicine. Isn’t that perfect?” Bruno smiled.

Instead of answering, the treasurer’s gaze shifted to the guards. „Take him,” he ordered.

The three immediately moved. Two grabbed the young alchemist by his hands, while the third led the way. Bahir decided to follow them all. The procession quickly emerged from the castle, then walked beyond the fenced-off plaza and entered Razun proper. They navigated the streets gaining a lot of discreet attention from the locals.

Most of them fled upon noticing the guards escorting a man, with the treasurer following behind, but they kept discreetly staring, even after successfully hiding in alleyways or in the buildings. Some watched from behind the closed shutters, utilizing the narrow gaps between the wooden planks.

Eventually, the group arrived in front of a larger abode with a leaf and a round bottle painted on the door with black paint. They burst in, scaring the alchemist who was inside, working on some medicine. The man jumped, dropping a glass vial, which smashed on the floor. The pieces of glass scattered around.

He was standing behind a long table made out of thick, poorly processed wood, which was polished eventually, as time passed, making the surface quite uneven. It was also marked by darker spots, places where something spilled.

Two windows in the front part of the building, both flanking the entrance, provided an abundance of light. The back wall was completely occupied by tall racks filled with ingredients, and a small door in the corner, leading to some kind of back room.

„W-what… H-how can I help y-you?” he stuttered.

„I will need to borrow your workshop,” Bruno announced, putting on a gentle smile on his face.

Before the man decided to protest, he quickly glanced at Bahir, which caused him not to, agreeing to the demand with a nod.

„Now, If the guards don’t mind, I would like them to free my hands,” the young alchemist said, shifting his gaze to the treasurer.

He nodded again, prompting both soldiers to let go of Bruno. He then gave a signal to the leech to approach him. The two of them immediately began whispering, stealing glances at the young alchemist, who wasted no time.

He found himself in the laboratory like a fish in the water, immediately beginning a rushed examination of several ingredients from the rack. He was about to start mixing them when the older alchemist approached, looking carefully at everything he was doing.

„Watch carefully; maybe you will learn a thing or two,” Bruno said with a smug smile adorning his lips.

The comment caused the much older man to frown, but he refrained from speaking. Instead, he focused on looking at what Bruno was preparing.

Since there was no fireplace, he had to improvise, so he lit a candle and arranged a few objects from the glassware present in the laboratory to boil a little bit of the ingredients he needed over the small flame, and then the mixing started.

The local alchemist did his best to follow, but it became very soon obvious that he couldn’t. Bruno noticed when he stole a quick glance at his focused face. It almost caused him to smile, but he stopped himself.

Soon, the rest of the observers became bored with the process, but they stood keeping watch, too afraid to anger Bahir, who wouldn’t let Bruno out of his sight.

„It’s done,” the young alchemist concluded when he poured the prepared medicine into two smaller glass vials from a larger bottle. „Let’s go back. Just don’t make me spill this; it would be a huge waste,” he said, raising both of the vials with a smirk on his face. As he did so, he accidentally knocked down his construction over the still-burning candle. Some of the glass shattered the moment it hit the table, scattering smaller sharp pieces around. Other containers hit a few different bottles, and a number of them fell, spilling the liquids that were inside.

„Damn it,” Bruno cursed. „I’m sure the kingdom will compensate you for this,” he chuckled awkwardly, looking at the older alchemist.

The man clearly was disturbed by the accident, but he didn’t dare to complain.

„Grab him,” Bahir instructed the guards, who went to take Bruno, but this time they were much more careful.

Soon, the four of them were heading back to the castle, yet again carefully observed by the population of Razun, who happened to encounter them on the streets. The people were mostly scared, rushing away, but still with their eyes glued to the procession.

While the young alchemist enjoyed it, the rest ignored the attention, which soon vanished as they approached the castle. They crossed the fenced-off plaza, encountering no issue from the sentinels protecting it, and soon were rushing through the corridors, straight to the king’s chambers.

Katian awaited them, tended to by two females, who quickly escaped from his room when Bahir and the rest entered.

„I have the medicine, your majesty,” Bruno announced, „but before you drink it...” He cut short his sentence as he just drunk one of the two vials by himself. „I will have to prove it’s not a poison, don’t I?” He asked, turning to look at Bahir, whose eyebrow was frowned. „Now… Can I give it to the king, or are you opposing in any way?”

The old man just gave a nod, making Bruno approach the bed and give the vial to the ruler.

Katyan took it, giving the last glance to the treasurer. There wasn’t any response, which caused him to consume the content inside the glass container.

The young alchemist snatched the vial from his hand and shoved both of them into the hands of the closest guard. „Now, please, escort me to my quarters.”

The soldiers had to first check what the old man had to say about it, but Bahir nodded, so they grabbed Bruno to pull him out of the room.

0