B II, ch 62. From Hand To Hand
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yue-Liang had lost track of the days that had slipped by during their arduous march. The journey had been grueling and seemingly interminable, yet he had grown accustomed to the hardships, adapting to them with surprising ease.

Initially, when his powers had manifested due to the old man’s instructions, he had been filled with excitement. Dreams of his triumphant return and saving Yura had consumed his thoughts. But as time wore on, those dreams faded away.

Now, perched on the edge of a precipice somewhere deep in the woods, next to a winding dirt road, he found those aspirations to be foolish. Even the warm leg of roasted rabbit in his hand failed to satisfy his hunger as the weight of his circumstances settled upon him. The initial rush of endorphins had long since dissipated, leaving behind a pervading sense of desolation. The only difference now was that he no longer had Thyme or Whurel to shoulder the burden of his fate; it was squarely on his own shoulders.

Despite spending a significant amount of time together, the enigmatic old man felt as distant as when they had first met. He spoke rarely, often repeating the same words like a broken record.

The dim light of the evening slowly fading into night cast a melancholic aura, setting the perfect mood for the young boy to contemplate. The cheerful chirping of birds, accompanied by the gentle hum of the trees, offered a semblance of vibrancy amidst the otherwise somber atmosphere.

"Where are we even going?" Yue-Liang pondered aloud, gazing at the road ahead. All he could discern was that their path led north.

Suddenly, small silhouettes emerged on the horizon where the road converged, resembling tiny ants. The boy observed them for a moment until it became clear that it was a group of several people on horseback.

Immediately, he rose to his feet and approached the old man, who sat beneath a tree, leisurely enjoying his portion of roasted rabbit by the small campfire they had kindled. Fat glistened on his lips and fingers.

His mouth froze as he raised his eyes to meet Yue-Liang's gaze.

"I saw some people. They are approaching," the boy informed, his voice tinged with a hint of nervousness.

"They will pass us. Just sit down beside me," the man instructed.

Feeling a bit anxious, Yue-liang complied, settling by the nearby tree. To keep himself occupied, he focused on his piece of meat, tearing it off the bone with his teeth. Due to his nerves, he chewed only a little before swallowing.

‘Why am I so nervous? Is it because of how I feel about the future?’ he questioned himself. The encroaching darkness of his thoughts painted a grim picture of what lay ahead. ‘We have encountered plenty of people before. Nobody bothered us...’ he tried to reassure himself.

It offered some respite, enough for him to finish the meal before tossing the bones into the flames. As the old man ate slower, taking a larger portion, he remained engrossed in his consumption. Even when the sound of multiple hooves shattered the tranquility of the forest a few moments later, he was still sucking on the bones, savoring the rich marrow within.

The first wave of raiders appeared not long after, slowly traversing the dirt road. One, two, and three passed by without paying much attention to Yue-liang and the old man, but the fourth raider fixed his gaze on them, bringing his horse to a halt. Behind him trailed three more, the rest of the group.

A sharp whistle from the man pierced the air, causing the rest of the party to freeze.

The raiders were unmistakably armed, with swords stowed in their saddlebags and knives strapped to their belts. Though worn and stained, their leather jackets seemed sturdy.

The fourth raider dismounted, deciding to make his way up the scarp until he stood beside the two resting under the trees.

"Good day to you," he greeted with a smile.

His green eyes and unkempt ginger beard lent him a rugged appearance, while his square chin hinted at a determined nature. Blackened teeth marred his smile.

"Indeed, a good day," the old man replied, forcing a fake grin onto his lips. "What brings you to our camp, fellow traveler?"

"Curiosity," the ginger raider replied.

Behind him, five others began scaling the scarp, leaving the last man to watch over the horses.

"What are you curious about?" the old man countered, groaning as he rose to his feet.

"About the boy. Is he from the East? He certainly looks like it... Are you taking him to Nira to fetch a good price? I bet they would pay just for his face, and the rest doesn't look half bad either. He could be a material for a gladiator, or maybe a chamber boy, satisfying the lust of rich old hags," the ginger pondered, shrugging his shoulders.

"The boy is not a slave, and we are headed elsewhere," the old man clarified.

"I don't think so," the ginger retorted, briefly focusing his gaze on the boy before returning his attention to the old man. "I think we'll be taking this boy with us. He'll earn us a good coin, and you, old man... If you don't want to get hurt, step aside."

With those words, he moved toward Yue-Liang, but the old man swiftly blocked his path.

"Why would you do this? You can find fortune elsewhere. The boy must come with me," the old man stated.

As they spoke, panic started to creep into Yue-:iang's heart, causing him to rise to his feet. His stomach churned uncomfortably, adrenaline coursing through his veins. He felt a strange tingling sensation in his nostrils.

The ginger raider merely chuckled, and his comrades joined in, having already gathered around him. He moved forward, clearly intending to push the old man aside. But then, the old man did something unexpected.

From his long sleeve, a knife appeared, swinging dangerously close to the thug's body. Yet, with quick reflexes and a keen sense of danger, the raider managed to evade the attack at the last moment.

"Stand behind!" the old man instructed, though Yue-Liang didn't really listen.

He was already searching for something, anything, to defend himself with.

The ginger drew his knife, mirroring his friends. Despite the old man's blade swinging through the air, they began encircling him, leaving Yue-Liang momentarily alone.

One of the bandits seized the opportunity, timing the old man's attack before lunging forward, grabbing and immobilizing his hand. Simultaneously, the ginger rushed forward, sinking his knife into the old man's gut. Groaning, the old man struggled against them, but they were clearly stronger. After the initial stab, more followed, staining the ginger's hand with crimson.

"No!" Yue-Liang shouted, witnessing the carnage. Though he had failed to find a weapon, he realized there was something else he could do. Despite the horrific memories of unbearable pain lingering in his mind, he decided to tap into his mysterious powers.

Closing his eyes, he summoned the memories, and this time, they came much quicker than before. He immediately felt the familiar burning sensation, spreading like wildfire through his arm.

"Grab the boy!" the ginger ordered, prompting two of his comrades to move towards Yue-Liang, while the lifeless body of the old man slipped from his grasp and collapsed onto the forest floor.

That's when Yue-Liang opened his eyes, witnessing the blinding light awakening in his hand. Extending it, he aimed at the two raiders and unleashed a beam of unstoppable force, melting through their bodies.

"AAAAAAA!" He screamed at the top of his lungs before his voice failed him.

In complete panic, the bandits sought refuge behind the trees, while the boy continued to aim his hand at them, cutting down the surrounding trees, causing them to crash to the ground. The crack of splintering wood mingled with the panicked neighs of horses.

Then, out of the blue, Yue-Liang simply collapsed, his mysterious power vanishing along with his consciousness.

0