B II, ch 66. Music Lesson
58 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Barely several days had passed, and Yura found herself once again wandering through the vast gardens of the imperial palace. This time, her visit wasn't to see the emperor but for some undisclosed reason. Guiding her was Shinrou Rokuro, who stubbornly refused to reveal the purpose behind their brief journey.

Yura didn't mind the walk, having grown weary of the monotonous routine that consumed her days. Besides, the weather was delightful for a leisurely stroll. The sun bathed the surroundings in a radiant glow, while a gentle breeze provided a refreshing touch of coolness.

They arrived at a charming gazebo adorned with a round table and pillows scattered across the wooden floor. Waiting for them was a man wearing a simple pale blue kimono. Dark locks of hair framed his face, and his cheerful expression radiated warmth.

Before him, on the table, rested two identical shakuhachi—a pair of bamboo flutes. Long and unadorned, their yellow hue displayed a modest elegance.

"Good day, captain! Is this the young lady I'm supposed to teach?" the man greeted, his voice resonating with a melodic quality.

"Yes. Escort her back to my home once you're finished," Shinrou Rokuro instructed before turning on his heel and departing.

Yura, though she heard every word clearly, couldn't comprehend what was unfolding before her. She stood frozen, watching the soldier disappear into the distance.

"Hello, my lady. I'm Hiroshi Matsuda, and as you heard, I will be teaching you how to play the shakuhachi," the stranger's words compelled her to look at him directly.

"Why?" she asked simply, struggling to fathom the purpose behind this unexpected situation.

"Katsuro Yamamoto requested it. Now that you will reside in the capital among noble people, it is essential to learn proper behavior. He wishes to begin with etiquette and music lessons. I have been assigned to teach you the shakuhachi. The other instructor will visit you at Captain Shinrou Rokuro's house, but I do not know when or who it will be," the man explained. "Please, have a seat. Allow me to show you the instrument."

He gestured toward the pillows, attempting to persuade her to join him, though Yura's uncertainty lingered.

"Who is Katsuro Yamamoto?" she inquired, her confusion and curiosity mingling on her face. "I have never heard of him."

"He is an influential figure, a lord from a lesser noble family," the man clarified, his hand still extended towards the pillows, „but favored by the emperor.”

With cautious steps, never breaking eye contact, Yura approached and settled onto the cushions.

Their lesson commenced promptly, with the man guiding her through the basics and introducing the fundamental sounds before moving on to a simple melody. Yura attempted to practice, but unlike her skilled instructor, the notes that emerged from her instrument lacked sharpness and clarity.

Despite the initial hesitance, the girl found herself quickly pulled in by the teachings, and the amazing tunes the flutes were able to produce.

The two soon became so absorbed in their practice that they failed to acknowledge the events unfolding around them. Influential figures passed by, their presence unnoticed as Yura and Hiroshi Matsuda immersed themselves in their own pursuits, engrossed in conversations about the music.

However, at a certain point, three young ladies appeared, catching their attention. One wore a vibrant red kimono, another a striking yellow, and the last a serene blue. Their hairstyles were adorned with exquisitely crafted hairpins, holding their locks in place, and made them appear almost identical, save for their distinct facial features. One had plump cheeks, with a little too much blush on, another possessed prominent front teeth, making her resemble a rabbit, and the last had a big, hooked nose. Engaged in lively chatter and laughter, they walked past Yura and Hiroshi Matsuda. Yet, as Yura once again stumbled into playing the incorrect tune, the trio erupted in giggles.

Yura failed to ignore their presence. Her gaze shifted towards them, but all she saw was their backs.

"Focus on your practice," Hiroshi Matsuda gently admonished, reaching across the table to touch her cheek and redirect her attention back to him. "Don't let distractions sway you."

He briefly turned to face the three girls they showed his respect by standing up and bowing.

Yura took a moment to regain her composure before following suit, swallowing her pride. However, another blow struck her immediately, as a second burst of giggles reached her ears. The trio departed, taking their time, whispering among themselves, and stealing discreet glances at the peasant girl.

"Be careful. While you may enjoy the emperor's protection, you are not their equal," Hiroshi Matsuda cautioned in a hushed voice. "Avoid confrontations—better yet, avoid them altogether."

Nodding, Yura understood the wisdom behind his words. They resumed their practice, which concluded a few moments later. The teacher then escorted her back to Captain Shinrou Rokuro's house.

Just beyond the gate, a servant awaited her arrival.

"The master wishes to see you," the servant announced, motioning for her to follow.

Yura bid farewell to her instructor, expressing gratitude for the lesson, and proceeded to follow the servant to the house. Passing through several corridors, she was led to a room where Captain Shinrou Rokuro awaited her, accompanied by an unfamiliar woman, pale due to the white face paint. Her lips were painted a vivid red, and her tightly styled hair was adorned with an elaborate hairpin. The woman's pink kimono boasted a stunning pattern of red flowers.

"This is Yumi Sato," Shinrou Rokuro introduced her. "She will be teaching you how to conduct yourself among those of higher status."

"Please, sit by my side," Yumi Sato instructed, offering a friendly smile.

And so, another lesson began—a more tedious one than the previous. Yura was instructed on table manners, proper serving etiquette, and even the intricacies of a tea ceremony. Yumi Sato provided guidance on how to navigate the social hierarchy and maintain her appearance.

The lesson extended well beyond the mere duration of a meal, and eventually, Shinrou Rokuro excused himself, leaving them alone. There was much to absorb, and the enigmatic woman seemed to inundate Yura with information, prolonging the lesson into the late hours of the night.

Exhausted beyond measure, Yura returned to the servants' quarters long after nightfall, immediately after the conclusion of her lesson. Collapsing onto her futon, she promptly fell into a deep sleep.

The following day brought yet more lessons, continuing the rigorous schedule of Yura's education.

0